Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Richardson day to day with abdominal, oblique injuries

1959Colts

On 10/2/2024 at 12:29 AM, crazycolt1 said:

It's not about that.  It's about doing what it takes to win. AR is going to get his time. He still has to learn to protect himself.  It will come but keeping us in the hunt calls for Flacco at times. 

The Colts should create a hour long "Protecting Yourself/ Sliding for Dummies" vid demonstrating other highly successful QB's doing it, and have ours watch it Daily until he has proven he understands. 

AR definitely still doesn't get it. He has believed that he is a a Cam like Superman, and it needs to become clear to him that he is actually NFL Fragile. The kid can't take a open field hit. 

Still picturing Hero 'LB' Luck getting jacked by two Broncos, Luck whirlybirding in the air, ending up with a lacerated kidney. One of dozens of bad decision hits he took.

There wouldn't be anything wrong with AR sitting for awhile until he grows up.

While he is contemplating his Issues, teach the kid to throw an out that doesn't sail 6' over his receivers head. NO amount of game experience will fix it. It's actually Quite pathetic watching him do it over and over. 

And, trying to throw the ball downfield to AD is a loser. He is lost out there. Those plays should be called for Pierce, if you are actually playing to win.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I don’t get this questioning his toughness nonsense fans are starting to throw out.  Here are the injuries that knocked out of games.

He got hit hard in the Rams game and coaches admitted they took him out to protect him from himself given the situation in the game and it was almost over and he was being reckless trying to run.

he got a concussion vs the Texans, that had nothing to do with toughness.

he injured his shoulder to the point he needed surgery because a big guy fell on him.  Again that has nothing to do with toughness.

Then he got an injury that multiple people have sighted other athletes across sports missing weeks for and there is a chance he plays Sunday.  That seems to fly in the face of the theory he some how lacks toughness.

People want to argue he’s injury prone that argument I can listen too because there is a lot of evidence to back it up unfortunately but the lacking toughness is just pure nonsense.  None of these injuries look to be him milking something because he just can’t take it.  They are legit injuries.  That has nothing to do with if a player is tough or not.  

Obviously any NFL player is tougher than 99+% of the population. So of course AR is tough by that standard. He essentially said the same thing in his Oct 2 interview. But the question is whether he is tough enough to play through the hits that most of the other 31 qb’s would tolerate. The jury is out on that question and so far it’s not looking good.

7 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Till the game slows down for AR we still need wins. Flacco is that bridge. 

The game isn’t going to slow down for him without playing.  Flacco was never brought here to start over AR.  He was brought here to be a backup.  Fans can call for whatever they want but if healthy AR is the starter and that’s not a question for the Colts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, ColtAndOrioles said:

I am a big AR proponent, I cannot stress that enough.  I think he has all of the talent in the world.  But I am not a fan at all of his last few comments to the media.

First about his "it's football, do I need to slide?  Not really.  If I get hurt I get hurt" comment.  I thought that was horrible.   I can see why SS benched him after those 2 plays.  He thought about himself.  Not the team. 

After what happened last year and now this year, it may have been the dumbest comment I have ever heard from a pro athlete.

But this new one?  Is even dumber.    To compare yourself to the average fan is just stupid.  He gets paid $millions to play a sport.  A kids sport.  But a sport that brings in $billions in cash for the league, for sponsors, for gambling, and most importantly love from fans who make that all possible. 

To say that you can just get hurt playing a sport in such a laissez faire  way, as if no one depends on you to stay healthy? 

He seems to me to be the epitome of an athlete who is fine collecting his paycheck no matter if he plays or not.  And seeing how much he has 'been hurt' the past year and 4 games?  On hits that overall do not seem all that terrible?

It only makes be believe it more.  He needs to stop flopping like a fish when he gets an ouchie and just letting the ball go loose like it is a slippery banana. 

He needs to shut up and play.

I was totally on board with him being our QB for the next 10 years until the comments this week.  Now all I think is he is a weak weak man just looking to get paid.

A true warrior/athlete would not say what he did. 

damn dude, did you hurt yourself jumping to all those conclusions?

10 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Till the game slows down for AR we still need wins. Flacco is that bridge. 

YOU need wins.  Some of the fan base needs wins.  It seems pretty clear that the Colts FO is more concerned about AR's growth and progression than they are wins in 2024.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jason_ said:

damn dude, did you hurt yourself jumping to all those conclusions?

YOU need wins.  Some of the fan base needs wins.  It seems pretty clear that the Colts FO is more concerned about AR's growth and progression than they are wins in 2024.  

It is the team that needs wins to stay in the playoff hunt. There are millions of dollars that are connected to playoff games. 

AR does need the experience but there is nothing wrong with using Flacco. This is exactly why Flacco was signed. 

If AR healthy he needs to play.  It was ugly but he did get his first win. Let's stack another one and keep improving. We all know what Flacco is here for. That backup status. Nothing more, nothing less. Play a game or two, then sit it down!

• Like 1

Just now, krunk said:

If AR healthy he needs to play.  It was ugly but he did get his first win. Let's stack another one and keep improving. We all know what Flacco is here for. That backup status. Nothing more, nothing less. Play a game or two, then sit it down!

I'm pretty sure that is exactly what's happening 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

It is the team that needs wins to stay in the playoff hunt. There are millions of dollars that are connected to playoff games. 

AR does need the experience but there is nothing wrong with using Flacco. This is exactly why Flacco was signed. 

Flacco was signed to play off AR is hurt.   If AR can play,  he is gonna play.  The end

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

He was signed to play if AR can't.   That's reality.   If AR is healthy. Joe is on the sideline

Evidently AR could have played in the 2nd half of the Steelers game but Shane decided to stay with Flacco.  It may not be as cut and dried as you suggest. 

23 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I don’t get this questioning his toughness nonsense fans are starting to throw out.  Here are the injuries that knocked out of games.

He got hit hard in the Rams game and coaches admitted they took him out to protect him from himself given the situation in the game and it was almost over and he was being reckless trying to run.

he got a concussion vs the Texans, that had nothing to do with toughness.

he injured his shoulder to the point he needed surgery because a big guy fell on him.  Again that has nothing to do with toughness.

Then he got an injury that multiple people have sighted other athletes across sports missing weeks for and there is a chance he plays Sunday.  That seems to fly in the face of the theory he some how lacks toughness.

People want to argue he’s injury prone that argument I can listen too because there is a lot of evidence to back it up unfortunately but the lacking toughness is just pure nonsense.  None of these injuries look to be him milking something because he just can’t take it.  They are legit injuries.  That has nothing to do with if a player is tough or not.  

Like I said it’s one of the three scenarios.  Is he just the most unlucky guy in the nfl to basically get knocked out or injured in every game he’s played in,  is it his toughness , or is it his durability? I’m mostly talking about the games that he got sidelined and then came back in. Why did he go out if he was capable of still playing?  Maybe I’m remembering it wrong. Oh and  When I say toughness of course he’s tough. He’s in the nfl.  What I am referring to is what I would call  stupid toughness, like let’s say he’s hurting and for better or for worse he leads the team even though he’s not feeling 100%.  Is he the type of player that has that psychotic level drive in him?  It just seems like after every hit he has the look on his face like “ oh my god that hurt”. Maybe he’s just really expressive but It looks almost like every hit rocks him and I’m just asking the question does he have a low pain tolerance or is he just not durable?   I def don’t think he’s under some curse that makes him have bad luck to get hurt in almost every game he plays. There has to be an explanation on why it keeps happening to him. 

11 minutes ago, Trace Pyott said:

Like I said it’s one of the three scenarios.  Is he just the most unlucky guy in the nfl to basically get knocked out or injured in every game he’s played in,  is it his toughness , or is it his durability? I’m mostly talking about the games that he got sidelined and then came back in. Why did he go out if he was capable of still playing?  Maybe I’m remembering it wrong. Oh and  When I say toughness of course he’s tough. He’s in the nfl.  What I am referring to is what I would call  stupid toughness, like let’s say he’s hurting and for better or for worse he leads the team even though he’s not feeling 100%.  Is he the type of player that has that psychotic level drive in him?  It just seems like after every hit he has the look on his face like “ oh my god that hurt”. Maybe he’s just really expressive but It looks almost like every hit rocks him and I’m just asking the question does he have a low pain tolerance or is he just not durable?   I def don’t think he’s under some curse that makes him have bad luck to get hurt in almost every game he plays. There has to be an explanation on why it keeps happening to him. 

The only game he’s gone out of and comeback in in was the Steelers game and it was clear he wasn’t close to 100%.  Again he’s been legit injured.  That has nothing to do with toughness.  That’s pure and utter nonsense.  If you want to question if he is durable due to the injuries or is he injury prone that’s fair and a very different conversation as there is lots of proof to suggest those things are very big concerns.  

6 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Flacco was signed to win games when ask.  I don't understand the argumentative issue?

No he was signed to be a backup to AR.  Just like Gardner last year.  The Colts have no plans for him beyond being a backup who they hope doesn’t play much.

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Evidently AR could have played in the 2nd half of the Steelers game but Shane decided to stay with Flacco.  It may not be as cut and dried as you suggest. 

Yeah because AR wasn’t 100%.  The Colts are clearly being protective of him after last year and frankly the Luck situation.  Irsay has said more than once they learned from the Luck mistakes and would be more cautious with AR.  You are trying to create QB controversy that doesn’t exist.

47 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

No he was signed to be a backup to AR.  Just like Gardner last year.  The Colts have no plans for him beyond being a backup who they hope doesn’t play much.

I understand that but till AR shows he can stay on the field, Flacco has to be the man. It's that simple. 

50 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah because AR wasn’t 100%.  The Colts are clearly being protective of him after last year and frankly the Luck situation.  Irsay has said more than once they learned from the Luck mistakes and would be more cautious with AR.  You are trying to create QB controversy that doesn’t exist.

I'm not creating anything.  Till AR can stay on the field it's Flacco that has to be tough. 

59 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I will just say this about the comparisons between Luck and AR.  And even Manning.

First, as far as overall talent?  I think AR has more talent than Andrew.  And I say that as the biggest Luck fan that there is.  I loved that guy.  But he always reminded me of a Manning wannabe.  Someone who had more pure talent.  Who was very smart.  But I never ever got the feeling that he wanted to win and put in the hours that Manning did.  And I think that was proven when he retired so early.  Manning was like an AI robot who studied 23 hours a day.  Just a huge will to win. 

But what Luck had was pain tolerance, drive and overall ability due to his teaching since he was a kid...and his will to do what is right for the team.    IMO that was 100% MORE than AR's is right now.  Not even close. 

If only you could clone a combo between Manning and his smarts, Luck and his pain tolerance, and AR and his pure athletic ability. 

I am sorry but unless AR is the unluckiest person in the history of the NFL, NO ONE gets hurt this much.  He is a wreck.  Heck I remember in his first pre season game last year he ran out of bounds and started to limp.  Literally his very first hit ever.  Right then I said to myself "uh oh".  And then he has not finished what......4 of his all time starts?  Out of 8?  I mean....that is not normal QB behavior.  He seems to get hurt on almost every hit he takes. 

Make that make sense. 

It is very VERY odd to say the least.

I want AR to do well because he seems like a good guy and he has all the talent in the world  But after this last game and his words after? For lack of a better word I don't think he has any ability at all to do 2 things.

One....protect himself.

Two.....take a hit and feel pain without it being the end of the world.  He seems to have no pain tolerance whatsoever.  Which is fine.  Just don't be an NFL Qb as a result. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

AR said he couldn't run or plant the way he wanted to.   Shane didn't put him back in because he was hurt

IMO, if AR is injured enough that he can't run effectively, he's just a pocket passer.  At this stage of his career, I believe Flacco is a better pocket passer than AR.  If he can run effectively then he should start, if he can't, Flacco should start.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

AR said he couldn't run or plant the way he wanted to.   Shane didn't put him back in because he was hurt

Never did I suggest that AR wasn’t the starter. 

AR has looked got at times  but his type of play is hazardous to himself.  Till he stays on the field, Flacco is the guy. 

35 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Never did I suggest that AR wasn’t the starter. 

AR has looked got at times  but his type of play is hazardous to himself.  Till he stays on the field, Flacco is the guy. 

Absolutely zero chance a 40 year old Flacco starts unless Richardson is too hurt to go. 

Top 5 pick, 22 year old QB who needs reps more than any player in the league vs a 40 year old that has zero chance of being in our plans beyond this year

The people that want Flacco to start are way too short sighted of what the Colts are trying to accomplish here. They really don't care about this season if it means that by WEEK 17 they are sure Anthony is the guy and he has improved substantially. 

What I don't think they anticipated is the fact that Anthony could be injury prone and has a low pain threshold.  I don't think he is the unluckiest QB to ever play.  But I do think he is one of the youngest.  Practically nobody on the planet (Even at 6'5 255) is mature enough to take  NFL physical punishment at the age of 21 years old IF AT ALL. Only time in the league will prove that.  I don't think he had any benefit in the offseason to prepare his body for this type of punishment- I think his offseason work was mainly to rehab his shoulder and his throwing mechanics. 

Perhaps jacking AR up even more than he naturally is might be the play here?  Or the opposite- focus on pliability and durability ALA Brady in his late career. Either way, we will need to spend next offseason addressing this somehow to rule out weather or not its durability.  In the meantime, our QB is going to have to learn and learn quick to suck it up and grind through the bumps and bruises.  Given his career choice, he signed on for 15 year of it. Given his size, he should be able to handle it.  Given his game experience- it was an absolute coin flip weather he could handle it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ColtAndOrioles said:

I will just say this about the comparisons between Luck and AR.  And even Manning.

First, as far as overall talent?  I think AR has more talent than Andrew.  And I say that as the biggest Luck fan that there is.  I loved that guy.  But he always reminded me of a Manning wannabe.  Someone who had more pure talent.  Who was very smart.  But I never ever got the feeling that he wanted to win and put in the hours that Manning did.  And I think that was proven when he retired so early.  Manning was like an AI robot who studied 23 hours a day.  Just a huge will to win. 

But what Luck had was pain tolerance, drive and overall ability due to his teaching since he was a kid...and his will to do what is right for the team.    IMO that was 100% MORE than AR's is right now.  Not even close. 

If only you could clone a combo between Manning and his smarts, Luck and his pain tolerance, and AR and his pure athletic ability. 

I am sorry but unless AR is the unluckiest person in the history of the NFL, NO ONE gets hurt this much.  He is a wreck.  Heck I remember in his first pre season game last year he ran out of bounds and started to limp.  Literally his very first hit ever.  Right then I said to myself "uh oh".  And then he has not finished what......4 of his all time starts?  Out of 8?  I mean....that is not normal QB behavior.  He seems to get hurt on almost every hit he takes. 

Make that make sense. 

I want AR to do well because he seems like a good guy and he has all the talent in the world  But after this last game and his words after? For lack of a better word I don't think he has any ability at all to do 2 things.

One....protect himself.

Two.....take a hit and feel pain without it being the end of the world.  He seems to have no pain tolerance whatsoever.  Which is fine.  Just don't be an NFL Qb as a result. 

The kid chose not to slide to protect himself and was in a really awkward position when he did get a good NFL wallop. It’s absolutely brainless to do that after getting knocked out of games and the season. 

Maybe he needs to sit on the bench for another season. Let him play  play play, what, for another game or two until the next stupid injury?

He still has a lot to learn and it looks like to me we are rushing an inexperienced kid into something he isn't quite prepared for. 

AR seems humble, maybe a bit more humility regarding a possible Superman complex would serve him and the Colts very well long term.

What AR IS in years 4 and beyond is what Wise Colts fans should be concerned about. And yes, like me, many here are getting old enough we Want It Now!

It's an unreasonable expectation for a kid that can't throw an out that isn't a mile high, and hasn't the sense of when and how to protect himself. 

IMO the only reason to not play Richardson (when healthy) is if you've given up on him. Joe Flacco has a role on this team and that role is secondary or tertiary to the main goal of this team at this moment - namely developing AR and figuring out if he can be our franchise QB. The best way to do both of those is to play him and let him gain experience and playing time... And, ultimately to get enough snaps that you feel comfortable with whatever decision you come to about his long term prospects. And IMO the only reason to bench him is if you think you've gotten the answer to that primary question and it is negative. 

Otherwise, we are doing the same thing we were doing the last 3 years before we drafted him and IMO that's the worst place to be as a franchise in regards with your QB... Where you not only don't have a franchise QB but you don't even have the hope of having one on the roster.

I can't believe this conversation is even being had. If he can play... He has to play.

6 hours ago, ColtAndOrioles said:

Make that make sense. 

One....protect himself.

I already laid out the injuries.  You can say what you want but one was the coaches pulling him in the Rams game because they were down multiple scores with little time left, two of the others were a concussion and a shoulder injury that required surgery so that rules out toughness.  Then the Steelers game he tried to comeback and clearly wasn’t moving well and it’s reported he has injury that does cause players to miss time and there is a chance he plays Sunday which seems to be counter productive to people who want argue he’s not tough enough.  None of those involve him lacking toughness.  It’s a nonsense argument made up by fans who are tired of him being injured.  

also Richardson has taken wicked hits and hopped right back up from them.  To the point people complain about the league not protecting him with roughing the passer calls.  If he had no pain tolerance he wouldn’t get up from the those hits.

yes he needs to be better at protecting himself.  Again that has nothing to do with toughness.

Also I am not comparing him to Luck if you read my post.   I am pointing out Irsay is acknowledging they are being cautious with Richardson and injuries because of what happened with Luck.  That’s not comparing the two players.

There is nothing wrong with a very young QB sitting behind a seasoned veteran QB. I know AR sit 3/4 of last season but was he really learning from the vet or rehabbing his injuries? Hopefully both. 

For those who casually write Flacco off, that has been done a couple of times but to no avail.  Flacco = timex watch. Just keeps ticking. 

3 hours ago, Albany Ed said:

IMO, if AR is injured enough that he can't run effectively, he's just a pocket passer.  At this stage of his career, I believe Flacco is a better pocket passer than AR.  If he can run effectively then he should start, if he can't, Flacco should start.

And he definitely wasn't drafted at number 4 overall for his pure pocket passing. 

With that being said, if AR can play, he should end of story. Ride or die with the development (or lack thereof) of AR.