Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Next Defensive Coordinator

IndyColtsFan411

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Colts could bring him in as a consultant or assistant the rest of the year and then he would be free to pursue other opportunities at the end of the year. Maybe it would help Gus and give him fresh eyes. Who knows it could save his job.

I think that would look like a panic move by Ballard and would divide the defensive team.  I think it would have to be Salah in Gus goes.  I would be surprised if Ballard makes a move now.  I think it’s more likely he shores up the secondary with a veteran acquisition or two.

2 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

So you're saying we need more talent?

"Con: Without that elite talent, the defense is more vulnerable than most others"

Saleh has worked under Gus for 3 years in Jacksonville. That's not to say they will play the exact same defense, but they both emphasize similar things - rushing 4, very rare blitzing, attempts to limit long plays. Any defense can use more and better talent... At least Saleh understands the value of a shutdown corner... 

But yah... in general... if Ballard is the one choosing the DC, Saleh would definitely be a candidate since he runs what Ballard likes too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If we lose to the Titans and make Levis look like Dan Marino, it will not shock me if Bradley gets canned. 

I will say it’s very rare for coordinators to get fired mid-season. Although Irsay has made that decision before just a couple years ago when they fired I think Marcus Brady mid season. So it is possible. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stitches said:

Saleh has worked under Gus for 3 years in Jacksonville. That's not to say they will play the exact same defense, but they both emphasize similar things - rushing 4, very rare blitzing, attempts to limit long plays. Any defense can use more and better talent... At least Saleh understands the value of a shutdown corner... 

But yah... in general... if Ballard is the one choosing the DC, Saleh would definitely be a candidate since he runs what Ballard likes too. 

I'd take Saleh.

I'm not saying he'd be at the top of anyone's list for HC candidates, but I think he might prefer to wait for opportunities to interview for other HC openings. He didn't do a great job with the Jets, but their QB situation has been a mess, and the last two years he's been openly undermined by Aaron Rodgers. 

He also has 7 kids. I think he'll enjoy taking some time off for the next three months.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, stitches said:

I dont have a problem with the scheme because it has been very effective for other teams, I think it’s playcalling that Bradley struggles with and has been our issue

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'd take Saleh.

I'm not saying he'd be at the top of anyone's list for HC candidates, but I think he might prefer to wait for opportunities to interview for other HC openings. He didn't do a great job with the Jets, but their QB situation has been a mess, and the last two years he's been openly undermined by Aaron Rodgers. 

He also has 7 kids. I think he'll enjoy taking some time off for the next three months.

I think the best case scenario is you get a DC who has been a HC and decided they would prefer just being a DC. Like Spags for KC or Jim Schwartz for the Browns. 

edit: that’s a lot of kids 

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'd take Saleh.

I really don't think he would be in very high demand as a HC. He's a defensive coach who failed as a HC and those don't get second chances very often, especially not right away. He might get another shot after a few years of good coordinating of a successful defense. 

OK, here's the question then - you are Robert Saleh. Do you want that Colts DC job? Or are there better options out there? 

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

I really don't think he would be in very high demand as a HC. He's a defensive coach who failed as a HC and those don't get second chances very often, especially not right away. He might get another shot after a few years of good coordinating of a successful defense. 

OK, here's the question then - you are Robert Saleh. Do you want that Colts DC job? Or are there better options out there? 

Your question gets at my point. I think if he waits until the normal hiring cycle, he'll have several opportunities. And while I doubt that he gets another HC job, he might find it better to wait and see, while he spends the holidays with his family for the first time ever. 

Are there better options out there? Probably. If Ballard/Richardson don't work out, that could mean Steichen isn't working out. There's a chance the Colts clean house entirely after 2025. So he'd be taking a job on a staff that might not last more than one year. His best bet as a DC is probably connecting with a new HC who will probably get 2-3 years on the job (Cowboys?), or joining a well-established and safe HC.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

"Defensive consultant?"  All that would serve to do is make the current DC very "defensive," IMO.

They actually have a history together. 

17 minutes ago, Dobbinblitz said:

Article suggests the Colts should consider bringing Saleh on as a defensive consultant  for the remainder of 2024 season.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/indianapolis-colts/news/robert-saleh-fired-jets-indianapolis-colts-should-pursue/42746f8ad3b8a0033229dc14

Makes sense 

5 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It would never happen because I think he would have to then give up his jets salary.

No he wouldn't. Even if his Jets contract has offset language -- and it probably does -- he still gets whatever the Jets owe him. The only thing that changes is that his new salary offsets whatever he's owed by the Jets. So if he's due $5m/year from the Jets, and gets a DC job at $1m/year, the Jets still have to pay the remaining $4m. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dobbinblitz said:

Article suggests the Colts should consider bringing Saleh on as a defensive consultant  for the remainder of 2024 season.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/indianapolis-colts/news/robert-saleh-fired-jets-indianapolis-colts-should-pursue/42746f8ad3b8a0033229dc14

haha so we need 2 DC to make this defense good. Good luck with that. 

3 hours ago, compuls1v3 said:

Robert Saleh anyone?

I think he would be a good hire.  I know 49ers D was loaded but he has a history of running a good defense in today’s NFL.  He will probably have his pick of jobs though.  I am not big believer in in season outside hirers but if I am the Colts and he was willing to come here I’d show Gus the door and get him in here.

5 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think he would be a good hire.  I know 49ers D was loaded but he has a history of running a good defense in today’s NFL.  He will probably have his pick of jobs though.  I am not big believer in in season outside hirers but if I am the Colts and he was willing to come here I’d show Gus the door and get him in here.

He wouldn’t come without a long term deal.  Would the Colts do that mid season?  I have my doubts.

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

He wouldn’t come without a long term deal.  Would the Colts do that mid season?  I have my doubts.

If they wanted him sure.  With that said I don’t think he’d be interested in a mid-season deal.  He can’t really put his system in mid-season so it’s kinda a recipe for disaster.  

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

If they wanted him sure.  With that said I don’t think he’d be interested in a mid-season deal.  He can’t really put his system in mid-season so it’s kinda a recipe for disaster.  

I actually think a majority of his defense is in place.  Of course there would be some additions after the season but I don’t see a house cleaning.  Ballard would help him out in FA and the draft.  Our offense is pretty good so nothing major there to focus on.  

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I actually think a majority of his defense is in place.  Of course there would be some additions after the season but I don’t see a house cleaning.  Ballard would help him out in FA and the draft.  Our offense is pretty good so nothing major there to focus on.  

It’s not the majority of pieces being in place it’s him teaching them his plays and how he wants them to do things.  That takes time to put in and is extremely hard to do in season.  It’s normally an off-season process which is why I think he will just wait until then.  Also, he has no need to rush.  He’s going to be in demand for a DC and may even get another sniff as a HC if he waits.

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

It’s not the majority of pieces being in place it’s him teaching them his plays and how he wants them to do things.  That takes time to put in and is extremely hard to do in season.  It’s normally an off-season process which is why I think he will just wait until then.  Also, he has no need to rush.  He’s going to be in demand for a DC and may even get another sniff as a HC if he waits.

He and Gus have coached alongside each other before.  I think he could acclimate very quickly actually.  Even mid season.  An off season is beneficial no doubt but I think he could make some adjustments that would have immediate positive impact.  If I’m him I’m in no hurry though.  He’s going to be in demand.