Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Multiple Colts to wear the Guardian Caps

csmopar

On 8/30/2024 at 2:09 PM, Boondoggle said:

I believe this will end up being an example of the safety-first mentality in our society leading a physical sport to ruin.  The NFL is a sport that will not be the same without that physical element to it.  It is reminiscent of battle to some extent I think, not unlike shield walls, with mechanics that favor elements that factored strongly into humanity's past.  So as it eventually transitions to flag football it will end up losing the market dominance it now enjoys.

How does extra cushioning for a helmet nake the game less physical?

• Like 1

On 8/30/2024 at 12:29 PM, indyagent17 said:

I’m not a doctor, but I truly don’t understand how these things help that much. When you were moving in a high speed and you get hit your brain keeps going forward. You can put all the padding on top of a helmet, but it still won’t stop that brain hitting skull issue.

It reduces the speed the brain travels at impact. It reduces the resulting impact by 10%. If two players collide the rate is then 20%. Remember Patriots TE Aaron Hernandez's brain when examined after his suicide.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2024 at 9:22 PM, BeanDiasucci said:

How does extra cushioning for a helmet nake the game less physical?

It doesn't but it helps reduce the injuries resulting from the contact. There are thousands of concussion stories tied to football on all levels.

1 hour ago, King Colt said:

It doesn't but it helps reduce the injuries resulting from the contact. There are thousands of concussion stories tied to football on all levels.

I understand and agree. I was responding to a post that predicted, if I understood it correctly, that the Guardian Caps will make football less popular because it will become less physical. That doesn't make sense to me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BeanDiasucci said:

I understand and agree. I was responding to a post that predicted, if I understood it correctly, that the Guardian Caps will make football less popular because it will become less physical. That doesn't make sense to me.

I think the fans are very aware of the concussion facts in football ranging from the actual incident to the long-range impact on the lives of players. That said the popularity which continues to grow here and abroad will not suffer from headgear add-ons. Bill Romanowski had 20 documented concussions and Jim McMahon claims he can't remember much of anything. Just two stories.

• Like 2

I understand the safety factor, but ugh, they sure do look ugly.  Would be nice if helmet designers could come up with a singular design that accomplishes the same benefit of the Guardian Caps.  There is certainly something to be said for the aesthetics of uniform integrated helmet design, but of course, the good looks factor should rightly be trumped by safety considerations.

The thing is, though, even if they could come up with a new helmet that accomplishes what the Guardian Cap does, wouldn’t then dawning a guardian Cap on top surely still reduce the risk of concussion even further?  So where do you draw the line? 

1 hour ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Go play basketball. That should reduce the football concussions

This isn't primarily about concussions. It's about CTE, which results in brain damage similar to Alzheimer's Disease, leading to dementia and eventually death.  

Blows to the head during contact sports like football, boxing, and soccer can cause injury to the brain, called traumatic brain injury. Studies of American football players have identified a serious consequence of repeated traumatic brain injuries. In a condition called chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or CTE, tangles of a protein called tau build up in the brain after repeated head impacts. The resulting brain damage is similar to that seen in Alzheimer’s disease. CTE can lead to dementia and eventually death.

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-research-matters/how-football-raises-risk-chronic-traumatic-encephalopathy

The problem is unfortunately common among people who have played football for a number of years. The results of a 2023 study of 631 former football players who agreed to donate their brains to the study upon death showed that 180 of them (28%) didn’t have evidence of CTE in their brains. Another 163 (26%) had low-stage CTE, and 288 (46%) had high-stage CTE. As seen in previous studies, the number of reported concussions wasn’t associated with CTE incidence or severity.

32 minutes ago, shakedownstreet said:

It's the NFL. I am sure fans will be camped out at NFLshop.com headquarters for days to buy their guardian socks

Hey JT can you sign my sock?? Lol

• Like 2

19 hours ago, BeanDiasucci said:

This isn't primarily about concussions. It's about CTE, which results in brain damage similar to Alzheimer's Disease, leading to dementia and eventually death.  

Again. how many NBA players are found with CTE after death.,.. start fazing out concussions, CTE, injuries in general by playing basketball 🫡

10 hours ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Again. how many NBA players are found with CTE after death.,.. start fazing out concussions, CTE, injuries in general by playing basketball 🫡

That's still not very funny, even by my own dad joke standards. Just because you can't make football safe doesn't mean you shouldn't try to make it safer. 

Or maybe you really want to abolish football?

I'll concede that being funny on the topic of head injuries and brain damage isn't easy. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BeanDiasucci said:

That's still not very funny, even by my own dad joke standards. Just because you can't make football safe doesn't mean you shouldn't try to make it safer. 

Or maybe you really want to abolish football?

I'll concede that being funny on the topic of head injuries and brain damage isn't easy. 

Im not gonna lose sleep. If you don't wanna get injured you DONT have to play football. I have a job I can switch with anyone. They can make my 80k sitting down not worrying about injuries.. 

Yes abolish football if it's not safe enough.. 

On 8/30/2024 at 4:01 PM, ADnum1 said:

I would love it if AR wore one.

I thought he missed some time last season due to a concussion. 

I remember his head bouncing off the turf after being tackled

I wish he would have a force field around him but he will have to wait until 2267 for that to happen, Yes I am a Star Trek nerd. :)

• Like 1