Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Training camp August 7th 9 am

9 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

Nailed it.

Young kid who's struggled. Knows his job is very at risk. Knows of the clamor for a vet. Still trying to level up. As bad as Downs will feel about this, Cross probably feels worse.

Nonetheless, that vet safety help can't come soon enough. That's the reality of the sport, don't wait till tomorrow to do that which must be done today.

Cross doesn’t seem to feel bad at all. Just playin football, he said. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I don’t think you want to throw a rookie in there if needed. But yes he is the long term solution.

That’s the best way to learn, trial by fire and learn from your growing pains. It helped Rainman out. But unless Kelly goes down he likely won’t see too many starting reps.

3 hours ago, luv_pony_express said:

Personally, I don’t think I’ve ever been better informed about what’s going on with the Colts than I am today.

The information may get to me differently than it used to.  But I get it quickly and it’s usually accurate.  Those times where I get some bad info, it’s corrected in short order.

I think that the fact I can say this is a big reason that newspapers have declined.  They’ve largely become obsolete.

This is a fair perspective. But I don't mean to compare the way we get info now to the way we got info 10 years ago. I mean to compare the way the Colts are covered by local reporters to the way other teams are covered by local reporters, both in present day. 

And I agree that newspapers are not the best resource for getting the newest and latest information. And that's the primary reason the business has changed. Still, reporters -- whether they work for a paper or not -- can cultivate and lean on sources to provide relevant information on the team they cover. I don't even care if the local guys break the big stories. I just would think they'd have some insight to share beyond the most obvious angles that get pushed. 

I know it's a hard job. I don't understand a lot about it. I appreciate the work that's done and the little bit of info we actually get. I just think Colts fans would benefit from more substantial reporting. I think we deserve it.

14 hours ago, John Waylon said:

They were on the spree well before then. We printed (weekly,) papers for smaller surrounding communities and Schurz came around trying to gobble them up in 2015 or before. They bought up a ton of locals, outsourced the printing, and slowly whittled away the offices over the next cycle of subscription renewals. That led to less local news and more national content just picked straight off the AP wire that people could get for free as it was. They would run that cycle until the renewals dwindled to nil, and then they would just shut the paper down or try to sell it off. They tried to sell one to us one time after they leeched what life was left out of it for more than it was ever worth, even at its height. 

I’m sure most of what Gannett bought in that sale was vampired papers that had been run through that cycle and had no value other than what little name identity each one had in its town. 

I do not miss dealing with those people at all. 

Pretty sure Schurz was actually bought by Gatehouse Media, owned by New Media Investment Group. Then that company bought/merged with Gannett and kept the name Gannett. Same company either way, but I know Gannett has been selling some of their properties in recent years to pay off debt service from the merger.

2 hours ago, shasta519 said:

Pretty sure Schurz was actually bought by Gatehouse Media, owned by New Media Investment Group. Then that company bought/merged with Gannett and kept the name Gannett. Same company either way, but I know Gannett has been selling some of their properties in recent years to pay off debt service from the merger.

It all happened around the same time from my understanding. Most likely as part of the deal to merge. Corporate mergers, especially when private equity are involved, are often multi party deals. We merge, with the understanding that x and y companies are purchased/completed deals. But yes, if you get billed by Gannett, you are actually writing checks to gatehouse media. 

4 hours ago, shasta519 said:

I had not heard that (when they bought the paper I worked for I transferred to a non-newspaper division of our parent company and washed my hands of it all,) but it definitely tracks. Every time we had to deal with the Schurz people it left everyone in the room shaking their heads wondering how they were able to function as a company with the people they had in charge.

And they’re all still throwing good money after bad even with 10 years and hundreds of dead papers to show it doesn’t work. 

Disappointed Colton Dunn GIF by Superstore

48 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Who is expected to play on Sunday? AR? Latu? Mitchell? Who do you want to see on Sunday?

I would prefer to see very little of the possible starters tbh. These are meaningless games with the exception of figuring out depth.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TheNewGuy said:

I would prefer to see very little of the possible starters tbh. These are meaningless games with the exception of figuring out depth.

Thanks. Is there a player that you wish to see? Maybe someone who may not make the team?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Who is expected to play on Sunday? AR? Latu? Mitchell? Who do you want to see on Sunday?

I hope AR, Taylor, Pittman, Mitchell, Latu all don't play. I want to see Flacco for a half, then Sammy for a half lol. If a key player got injured in Game 1 of the Pre-season that would be infuriating.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Thanks. Is there a player that you wish to see? Maybe someone who may not make the team?

Actually yes, Ashton Dulin, Bortolini, Goncalves, Simpson, and Carlies...to name a few.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I hope AR, Taylor, Pittman, Mitchell, Latu all don't play. I want to see Flacco for a half, then Sammy for a half lol. If a key player got injured in Game 1 of the Pre-season that would be infuriating.

Is AR expected to start the regular season? I'm interested to see him play in a game that counts.

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yes, it would be infuriating.  But the kid desperately needs reps.

No QB needs more experience than Anthony Richardson.   My guess is he plays 3-4 quarters total in the first two pre-season games.  Then he sits out the 3rd PS game. 

Just my hunch. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes, it would be infuriating.  But the kid desperately needs reps.

No QB needs more experience than Anthony Richardson.   My guess is he plays 3-4 quarters total in the first two pre-season games.  Then he sits out the 3rd PS game. 

Just my hunch. 

He may play a series or 2 Sunday because of what you just brought up, but I wouldn't push it.

On 8/7/2024 at 10:32 PM, Superman said:

This is a fair perspective. But I don't mean to compare the way we get info now to the way we got info 10 years ago. I mean to compare the way the Colts are covered by local reporters to the way other teams are covered by local reporters, both in present day. 

And I agree that newspapers are not the best resource for getting the newest and latest information. And that's the primary reason the business has changed. Still, reporters -- whether they work for a paper or not -- can cultivate and lean on sources to provide relevant information on the team they cover. I don't even care if the local guys break the big stories. I just would think they'd have some insight to share beyond the most obvious angles that get pushed. 

I know it's a hard job. I don't understand a lot about it. I appreciate the work that's done and the little bit of info we actually get. I just think Colts fans would benefit from more substantial reporting. I think we deserve it.

I don’t disagree.  We still rely on reporters to get boots on the ground and work the phones to get information.  But the conduits used to disseminate it have just changed radically.

And I absolutely put more value on reports from local beat reporters than national ones.  National ones invariably have lesser knowledge about each of the 32 teams than 32 reporters on a daily beat for one team would have about that team.

On 8/8/2024 at 6:23 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

On 8/8/2024 at 6:16 PM, TheNewGuy said:

I am watching preseason football and read that AR and many of the starters are expected to play a little. Did you hear/read this too?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I am watching preseason football and read that AR and many of the starters are expected to play a little. Did you hear/read this too?

Yes, a couple/few series is what I read.

4 minutes ago, TheNewGuy said:

Yes, a couple/few series is what I read.

Okay. I hope I will be able to see AR. I hope he is 100%. The game thread is ready to go and I scheduled it to open at 9AM on Sunday.

Lots of teams are playing starters. The Steelers and the Texans are playing starters tonight. I'm sad to see two of my favorite former Vikings playing with the Texans. I miss Danielle Hunter. :(

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Okay. I hope I will be able to see AR. I hope he is 100%. The game thread is ready to go and I scheduled it to open at 9AM on Sunday.

Lots of teams are playing starters. The Steelers and the Texans are playing starters tonight. I'm sad to see two of my favorite former Vikings playing with the Texans. I miss Danielle Hunter. :(

Good luck in your game and it stinks to lose players that you like go to other teams.

• Thanks 1