Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Training camp July 31st

15 minutes ago, krunk said:

The man tripped and fell. Nice route by AD though.

Great video. Seeing him dig at cut like this is so impressive. Combined with his speed and hands I think at seasons end the world will know we have a Great one.

19 minutes ago, krunk said:

The man tripped and fell. Nice route by AD though.

True, but AD still won the route. It's not like he pushed off and that caused Jaylin to trip. That was a route win

Jim Bob talking up Anthony Gould

4 minutes ago, CR91 said:

True, but AD still won the route. It's not like he pushed off and that caused Jaylin to trip. That was a route win

I wouldn't say he did him dirty but I agree he won.

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

Not a good look I agree, but that was such a great route by AD. His route running is so crisp 

i thought it was beautiful. just not for number 40 

oh wait... 40 is a starting outside corner? uh oh

I'm not worried at all...

Im Good You Got It GIF by Apple Music

@krunk anytime you get routted up like that, you got done dirty. AD summoned the turf monster on him. Maybe 40 should wrap his ankles for health insurance reasons. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, krunk said:

Jim Bob talking up Anthony Gould

I wouldn't say he did him dirty but I agree he won.

Excellent! Listening to this should be Mandatory for all Colts fans. Many should watch and listen to it 3 times. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Excellent! Listening to this should be Mandatory for all Colts fans. Many should watch and listen to it 3 times. 

I said it last year and I’ll say it again, I am so happy Jim Bob Cooter is our coordinator. What a perfect compliment to Shane. 

Gould is showing up in a big way so far. I can’t wait to see how his hard work will translate on the field for games.

13 minutes ago, krunk said:

Why does it seem like Bowen is the only one talking about Mitchell having a quiet camp?

I can't really say honestly. Everything I'm hearing, AD is killing it

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Honestly, if Cross can't handedly win this and the best we can trot out at FS is Rodney Thomas or Ronnie Harrison, I'm going to be really disappointed.

Yea unfortunately this is starting to look like a Ballard flop pick which is sad because he traded up for him. Hopefully Cross performs in the pre-season 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Honestly, if Cross can't handedly win this and the best we can trot out at FS is Rodney Thomas or Ronnie Harrison, I'm going to be really disappointed.

I don't like what we have going at FS or Jaylon Jones at one CB (56.8 PFF in 17 games last season: 100-90 Elite, 89-85 Pro Bowler, 84-70 Starter, 69-60 Backup, 59-0 Replaceable). I really like the rest of the Colts team, but still think they should improve the quality and depth of their defensive backfield, especially facing the following QBs within the first seven games: CJ Stroud, Jordan Love, Caleb Williams, Trevor Lawrence, and Tua Tagovailoa. 

7 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Yea unfortunately this is starting to look like a Ballard flop pick which is sad because he traded up for him. Hopefully Cross performs in the pre-season 

I think he's a strong safety, and should be playing there, but I think Blackmon is better. So they have to figure that out. I'd rather see Blackmon at FS and Cross at SS, than the other way around. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think he's a strong safety, and should be playing there, but I think Blackmon is better. So they have to figure that out. I'd rather see Blackmon at FS and Cross at SS, than the other way around. 

Didn't he initially play SS, but couldn't beat out Mclead

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Didn't he initially play SS, but couldn't beat out Mclead

You mean Cross? As a rookie? Yeah I guess, which isn't that surprising to me.

To be honest, I think Cross needs to be on the field as much as possible to reach his potential. And I think he has plenty of potential. I'd just rather play him at SS because that's where I think he fits best. But it's also where Blackmon fits best, so that's the challenge.

Separate from that is we don't have a really good option at FS. We know what Thomas is, and it's kind of laughable to have Harrison in the mix there, IMO. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superman said:

You mean Cross? As a rookie? Yeah I guess, which isn't that surprising to me.

To be honest, I think Cross needs to be on the field as much as possible to reach his potential. And I think he has plenty of potential. I'd just rather play him at SS because that's where I think he fits best. But it's also where Blackmon fits best, so that's the challenge.

Separate from that is we don't have a really good option at FS. We know what Thomas is, and it's kind of laughable to have Harrison in the mix there, IMO. 

We’ve seen some plays from Cross, where he makes a tackle that looks punishing. His 40 time was listed at 4.39, if my memory serves me correctly and if that is correct, he should be fast enough to cover some ground.

It would be nice to have two guys back there that can play either position.

I’m rooting for the guy and having some more experience together might make this secondary better but if not, I’m glad they have some money, should they want to pick somebody up, at some point.

1 hour ago, BeanDiasucci said:

I don't like what we have going at FS or Jaylon Jones at one CB (56.8 PFF in 17 games last season: 100-90 Elite, 89-85 Pro Bowler, 84-70 Starter, 69-60 Backup, 59-0 Replaceable). I really like the rest of the Colts team, but still think they should improve the quality and depth of their defensive backfield, especially facing the following QBs within the first seven games: CJ Stroud, Jordan Love, Caleb Williams, Trevor Lawrence, and Tua Tagovailoa. 

https://www.colts.com/news/jaylon-jones-rookie-season-recap-texas-am-cornerback-starting-2023

Jones was 7th in the NFL in yards per coverage snap, not too shabby for a rookie.

I'm not quite sure what they are going to do back there, but it seems they really like Ronnie Harrison in some type of role starting somewhere and not a back up. Carlies has his old spot. If they want him on the field I'm still kind of skeptical a vet will be bought in. Maybe we will while having a package that keeps Harrison out there along with Blackmon and the vet. Who knows? Still got preseason games and scrimmages left to do.

• Like 1

Blackmon started out at SS and didn’t impress initially.  Then they moved him to FS and that didn’t go well.  They decided to move him back to SS and he settled in much better and solidified himself as the starter.  This year it’s starting to look like Cross hasn’t separated himself to be the starter.  It could still happen but I am having my doubts.  He still has some time of course but I have a feeling our starting FS is not currently on the roster.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BeanDiasucci said:

So this reporting seems wrong? I don't know enough about Zach Hicks to judge his accuracy.  https://www.si.com/nfl/colts/news/colts-jaylon-jones-starting-cornerback-training-camp 

No I'm not refuting that. But I felt like Flowers and Brents were the two outside starters, and we know Kenny plays nickel and almost never comes off the field. So in my mind, that puts Jones at CB4. But I could be wrong. And I guess that's part of the point of camp, to battle it out at these contested positions. 

Either way, I'm not worried about him losing a rep to a talented WR in practice. Especially since we play so little man coverage. 

2 hours ago, twfish said:

So I went today in a totally unplanned way, was in the area for a work event at 7:30 A.M and didn’t truly need to be there until 12 so a coworker and I ran out and watched

:: squints suspiciously::

Sounds like a convenient mix-up, almost too convenient to be a mix-up... 

3 hours ago, twfish said:

So I went today in a totally unplanned way, was in the area for a work event at 7:30 A.M and didn’t truly need to be there until 12 so a coworker and I ran out and watched and here’s my take aways.

The new kick off is going to be funky, there will be a lot of weird knuckle balls kicked to try and cause a muff.

A.D looks so smooth. 1 on 1’s he’s eating no doubt about it. I feel like he’s getting a little lost in 11 on 11’s. It’s like if he’s not sure if he’s getting the ball then he’s not sure at what point in his route to beat his man. There’s 0 doubt he can get separation but I don’t think he’s got the timing down yet to decide when to separate. He was standing on the sideline with Pittman, Speed and Franklin talking about stuff so I think he’s really fitting in with the team. Pittman is also taking a lot of time to talk to him after routes so I think he’s going to blossom and glad to see Pitt really becoming a leader.

Hull looked really good today, aside from his TD run he looked impressive.

Latu is the real deal. It was pretty much all Raiman could handle and he definitely would have had 2 sacks by my count. His apparent work ethic, athleticism, traits and his polish already is going to make me go ahead and place a bet for him to be DROY.

CB play across the board is solid, there were a lot of tight contested balls that both Flacco and Richardson just threw absolute dimes. Brent’s lined up on Downs during a red zone drill and it showed why you draft a 6’3 CB.

Safety play was entirely forgettable besides Blackmon. I think now is the time to bring in a veteran.

We may truly have more than what we bargained for with Anthony Gould. Kid is quick and is catching everything. Tracks the deep ball incredibly well. He’s a solid lock to back up Downs but I think he would be starting slot for other teams.

No one is really separating themselves from the pack at tight end (Mallory wasn’t out there today) but Woods was on the field quite a bit. What I once felt was a strength last offseason I’m beginning to doubt.

overall I’m incredibly excited for this team. As excited as I’ve been since the Luck days. I’ll be out there Friday.

Sounds like Gould is going to put a lot of pressure on Dulin in terms of making the roster. Going to be tough since Dulin is returning from injury. I’m excited that Latu is giving Berny fits, it will only make both of them better. 

5 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Blackmon started out at SS and didn’t impress initially.  Then they moved him to FS and that didn’t go well.  They decided to move him back to SS and he settled in much better and solidified himself as the starter.  This year it’s starting to look like Cross hasn’t separated himself to be the starter.  It could still happen but I am having my doubts.  He still has some time of course but I have a feeling our starting FS is not currently on the roster.

Got to remember that was after we switched defenses. He really didn’t excel well in a Two high safety cover 2 scheme under Eberflus. 

6 hours ago, krunk said:

I'm not quite sure what they are going to do back there, but it seems they really like Ronnie Harrison in some type of role starting somewhere and not a back up. Carlies has his old spot. If they want him on the field I'm still kind of skeptical a vet will be bought in. Maybe we will while having a package that keeps Harrison out there along with Blackmon and the vet. Who knows? Still got preseason games and scrimmages left to do.

I could see Harrison moving down in the box as a coverage linebacker if a vet is bought in the secondary. Really don’t like Zaire on the field in coverage. But I agree with you if they roll with Harrison at safety then Carlies should fill that coverage linebacker role. (side note I honestly don’t think Harrison wins the FS role, he strikes me more as a SS in the box style of safety).

8 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Cross is a strong safety and should be Blackmon backup. Not a FS.

He has the Athleticism and all the Physical tools to play FS. I just think mentally is where he is lacking for that position. The read  / react and diagnose ability is just not there for him which is pretty disappointing because I was very high on him and he’s going into year 3 now you would have hoped that thing’s really would have started to click for him by now.