Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why I always root for QBs to succeed…

As we know, it’s the hardest position in team sports to master.  You not only have to know where your teammates are on the field, you also have to know where all the defenders are.  It’s 3-dimensional chess. 

So, in the last week, two similar stories have come on my radar.   In one, the 49ers Brock Purdy is putting on weight.  And in the other, the Ravens Lamar Jackson says he’s taking weight off.   And I’m here to say I want both to succeed.   Purdy feels he needs more armour and Jackson feels he needs more mobility.  

Whatever the reason,  I pull for guys who recognize everything revolves around them and are trying to get better for the good of the team.   

Once upon a time I wasn’t a big fan of Geno Smith.  Now he’s figured things out and is doing well for the Seahawks.  So I hope he does well.   A long time ago I wasn’t a big fan of Randall Cunningham in Philly.   Then he reinvented himself in Minnesota and I was so happy for him.   

Damn, the position is just soooo hard.  So if a guy figures it out, I root for them.  I think in all my years the one guy I didn’t pull for was Jay Cutler.  Miserable guy who always seemed to put himself before the team.  Yuk.

Thanks for indulging me….   

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

As we know, it’s the hardest position in team sports to master.  You not only have to know where your teammates are on the field, you also have to know where all the defenders are.  It’s 3-dimensional chess. 

So, in the last week, two similar stories have come on my radar.   In one, the 49ers Brock Purdy is putting on weight.  And in the other, the Ravens Lamar Jackson says he’s taking weight off.   And I’m here to say I want both to succeed.   Purdy feels he needs more armour and Jackson feels he needs more mobility.  

Whatever the reason,  I pull for guys who recognize everything revolves around them and are trying to get better for the good of the team.   

Once upon a time I wasn’t a big fan of Geno Smith.  Now he’s figured things out and is doing well for the Seahawks.  So I hope he does well.   A long time ago I wasn’t a big fan of Randall Cunningham in Philly.   Then he reinvented himself in Minnesota and I was so happy for him.   

Damn, the position is just soooo hard.  So if a guy figures it out, I root for them.  I think in all my years the one guy I didn’t pull for was Jay Cutler.  Miserable guy who always seemed to put himself before the team.  Yuk.

It is no doubt the hardest position in sports. With me regarding QB's, it depends on what team they play for, and it depends on how likeable I see them as a personality. 

For example: I will never root for a QB to do well/succeed if they play for Houston, Jacksonville, or Tennessee. Can't do it, they are in our division. Also, I will never root for a QB to do well/succeed if they play for Pittsburgh or New England either. Too much bad blood over the years with me with those teams. I can't stand either team. Attitude wise - 3 QB's I never liked were Ryan Leaf, Colin Kaepernick, and I am with you on Jay Cutler. Cutler was an odd ball that didn't seem to want to master the position but had all the talent in the world. Leaf was a jerkbutt, and I have my reasons for not liking Kaep which I won't get into in here. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Though the QB position is the hardest in sports, I don't root for them any different than any other position. Like said above, if the QB plays for a team thats better for the Colts for him not to do well, then I don't want him to light up the Colts secondary or any other if it hurts us. Also of course, if I personally like him then its good for him to succeed as long as it don't hurt us. 

QBs I like and hope do well : Aaron Rogers, Dak, Herbert, Joe Cool, Caleb Williams. 

The Colts and Bengals blood in me says I’m all in for Joe and Anthony and screw the rest of them. 

Then I think for a moment and restate it to: All in for Anthony and Joe and whoever plays against the Titans, Jags, Texans, Browns, Steelers and Ravens that week. 

Ah, that’s better. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

The Colts and Bengals blood in me says I’m all in for Joe and Anthony and screw the rest of them. 

Then I think for a moment and restate it to: All in for Anthony and Joe and whoever plays against the Titans, Jags, Texans, Browns, Steelers and Ravens that week. 

Ah, that’s better. 

I am pretty much the same way. I root for mainly the Colts QBs to do well. Having said that there are other QBs I like, and I am ok if they do well. I posted above, I will never root for any QB in our division or any QB that plays for the Pats or Steelers. Can't do it. 

Even though they win a lot, I find myself ok with Mahomes winning. I just think he and Reid do it the right way and they are tough to hate. I like Joe Burrow as well like you. Burrow is mentally tough and is a smart QB. I like Lamar Jackson too; he gets a lot of hate but is the best Dual QB out there.

• 1 month later...

Seems like more and more quarterback prospects are achieving higher levels of success. 

Or maybe it's just because everyone today is being paid based on a small sample size. Very similar to what may happen with Anthony Richardson

Lots of good quarterbacks always make the league better but I'm picky about who I like and don't like. But I'm glad they're all good at the end of the day

38 minutes ago, PackersNation said:

My goal is getting you to spell Aaron Charles Rodgers correctly by August 27th. Cutdown to final 53 day. 

I won't be surprised if Erin Rogers goes down again by August 27th and heads back to his cave. 

1 hour ago, BeanDiasucci said:

I won't be surprised if Erin Rogers goes down again by August 27th and heads back to his cave. 

Ohh, burn. You really got him by calling him "Erin" and hoping he gets injured. Good luck with wishing injuries on others. Karma is a B.

toodle-oo(It's French, means farewell, or have a nice life.)

10 hours ago, PackersNation said:

Ohh, burn. You really got him by calling him "Erin" and hoping he gets injured. Good luck with wishing injuries on others. Karma is a B.

toodle-oo(It's French, means farewell, or have a nice life.)

You missed what he was doing with his post.  It wasn’t Aaron Rodgers he was trying to burn.

On 5/23/2024 at 1:49 PM, NewColtsFan said:

I definitely think it’s important for the league to have QBs succeed or at the very least stay healthy. 

The injuries last year made so many games boring. Here’s to hoping everyone’s QB at least makes it to the end of the season. 

I’m still hoping for a Burrow Renaissance and Anthony getting to the playoffs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RollerColt said:

I definitely think it’s important for the league to have QBs succeed or at the very least stay healthy. 

The injuries last year made so many games boring. Here’s to hoping everyone’s QB at least makes it to the end of the season. 

Nice.   Agreed.   I’m pro-quarterback.   I suspect you are too. 

I don’t want any team to lose their QB.  Not even AFC South teams.  I’d be fine if no QB  ever got hurt.  I feel bad for teams and their fans where the QB gets hurt early.   Like the Jets and Rogers.   And, obviously the Colts and AR.  

Really looking forward to AR this year. 

6 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

You missed what he was doing with his post.  It wasn’t Aaron Rodgers he was trying to burn.

Thanks for reminding me to put you on ignore. I had forgot.

toodle-oo(It's French, means don't bother typing my way, I won't see it)

1 hour ago, shakedownstreet said:

2024-8-1-smokin-jay-cutler.jpg

Ok….  You got me.   I always root for all quarterbacks EXCEPT Jay Cutler! 

Jay F%^*ing Cutler!   Dear Gawd, I really, REALLY don’t like him!!    

Glad you set me straight.  I had that one coming.   DOH!!     :facepalm:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Season 3 Wall GIF by The Simpsonsyou have to admit that pic of Cutler is hilarious lol.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PackersNation said:

I have been here since the Colts were in their last AFC Championship Game = 2015 reading posts that January. I have had my moments where I have argued with people but have never put anyone on ignore. I just move on eventually after a debate. You will find many people in here will be sarcastic or disagree with you, it would be dull in here if everyone agreed 👍. For the most part, most people mean well and are football smart in here and most bring some strong takes.

3 hours ago, PackersNation said:

I really don’t get why people feel the need to tell others publicly they are going to put them on ignore.  Just do it.  I don’t care if you do it or not and no one else does either.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

For me depends on attitude I wasnt sad Jamarcus Russell busted, thought he could mail it in once drafted. Neither was I said when Johnny Manziel went belly up.

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Nice.   Agreed.   I’m pro-quarterback.   I suspect you are too. 

I don’t want any team to lose their QB.  Not even AFC South teams.  I’d be fine if no QB  ever got hurt.  I feel bad for teams and their fans where the QB gets hurt early.   Like the Jets and Rogers.   And, obviously the Colts and AR.  

Really looking forward to AR this year. 

Yes I’m very much pro QB. And just to clarify my post from a few months ago was made in jest on here, I figure most would see it that way :D.

I get excited about rookie QBs, the hope they bring to their respective franchises and the development they go through over the course of the season. It’s always been interesting. 

This should be a very entertaining year to be a football fan. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have been here since the Colts were in their last AFC Championship Game = 2015 reading posts that January. I have had my moments where I have argued with people but have never put anyone on ignore. I just move on eventually after a debate. You will find many people in here will be sarcastic or disagree with you, it would be dull in here if everyone agreed 👍. For the most part, most people mean well and are football smart in here and most bring some strong takes.

I guess everyone can use the ignore feature as they choose. It's why it is there.

Back to QBs..

I can't think of one NFL QB, past or present, that I have any issues with, and the ones I have met on a personal level, I like.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RollerColt said:

I root for football players, not only Quarterbacks. It is such a hard sport to play and avoiding injuries is nearly impossible. That is why I defend football players when folks say they are playing a "children's game".

• Like 1

I'm probably in the minority here but Mahomes gets under my skin. Probably because he never gets hit by a defender which is exactly what we all want AR to learn to do! AND he reaches that ball out for an extra foot or two as he scampers out of bounds untouched. Can't deny the talent though

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, PackersNation said:

I guess everyone can use the ignore feature as they choose. It's why it is there.

Back to QBs..

I can't think of one NFL QB, past or present, that I have any issues with, and the ones I have met on a personal level, I like.

I met Jim Harbaugh and got his autograph when I went to the Colts/Chargers game back in 1996. He kept calling me bud and was smiling and he treated my mom good too. Why he gets a bad rap from many is puzzling to me.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I root for football players, not only Quarterbacks. It is such a hard sport to play and avoiding injuries is nearly impossible. That is why I defend football players when folks say they are playing a "children's game".

If I recall, your favorite QBs are Brady, Rodgers, and Cousins Homer Simpson Laughing GIF by FOX TV

24 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I root for most QBs but rooting for guys like Stroud, Trevor, and Levis makes no sense. When they play bad it helps the Colts out. Common sense my friends.

I don't root against any QB in the NFC North. I want the NFC North to be as strong as possible. I always want the North to be the best division in football. I want all the Packers opponents at full strength when they play the Pack. 

I want JJ McCarthy to start over Sam Darnold in Minnesota. I'll be at the week 5 game, and for my money, I want to see McCarthy trot out there as the starter. That will be the better show, and will give the Vikings the best chance to make it a good game. 

Looking forward to seeing Caleb Williams in Lambeau as well.

The Packers fear no one, and want EVERY team to bring their best each week.

Let's do this! Is it September 6th yet?

• Like 1

I root for the QBs I have the most exposure to in bestballs as well as Anthony Richardson. There's no QB today I dislike a ton that plays. The ones that I hate are previous QBs like Vick (I'm a dog lover), Kaepernick, (reasons I can't get into on the forum), and Brady (ruined our chance at a dynasty with Peyton and knowingly cheated with Belichick). Those are the major 3.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, PackersNation said:

I don't root against any QB in the NFC North. I want the NFC North to be as strong as possible. I always want the North to be the best division in football. I want all the Packers opponents at full strength when they play the Pack. 

I want JJ McCarthy to start over Sam Darnold in Minnesota. I'll be at the week 5 game, and for my money, I want to see McCarthy trot out there as the starter. That will be the better show, and will give the Vikings the best chance to make it a good game. 

Looking forward to seeing Caleb Williams in Lambeau as well.

The Packers fear no one, and want EVERY team to bring their best each week.

Let's do this! Is it September 6th yet?

The NFC North is going to be must watch TV all season long, I'm really looking forward to Packers vs. Colts. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

The NFC North is going to be must watch TV all season long, I'm really looking forward to Packers vs. Colts. 

I am as well. It's a Noon CT kickoff, so we don't have to wait around all day for it.

images(21).jpeg.b30ac3d3acc91bb2a7daecfdff34e0c3.jpeg

images(7).jpeg.33f53d49c1ea3b0c10e0aaf6d61e46f7.jpeg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

For me depends on attitude I wasnt sad Jamarcus Russell busted, thought he could mail it in once drafted. Neither was I said when Johnny Manziel went belly up.

Good examples.   I haven’t thought about either in a long time.   But if either tried a comeback (they won’t) I wouldn’t root against them if I thought they were sincere and had changed their ways.  

I once had the opportunity to talk with a private coach to NFL quarterbacks including some guy named Brady.  He told me horrible stories about how the Raiders badly handled Russell and how Russell’s family treated Jamarcus’ like their own personal ATM.  They’d show up all the time asking for money, lots of it.  It got so bad, eventually called the cops to try to get them to stop.  Makes me wonder if Russell might’ve stood a chance to have a decent career if he’d been with a better run team built to help players navigate young life when they’re not ready.  The Raiders didn’t do that kind of thing back in the day.  Don't know if they do it now?   

Anyway….  Just thinking out loud.  Sorry if I rambled there.   

3 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Absolutely. It’s easy for us to sit and critique and let emotions run, but at the end of the day anyone who manages to be on any team in the NFL is already part of a world class of athletes. Something very few past football players (myself included) manage to achieve and reach. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RollerColt said:

I don't think the Vikes will be good. We don't have much of a secondary.

I'm going to the the season opener, Vikes @ Giants.

8 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I met Jim Harbaugh and got his autograph when I went to the Colts/Chargers game back in 1996. He kept calling me bud and was smiling and he treated my mom good too. Why he gets a bad rap from many is puzzling to me.

I personally had a good experience with Jim, went to the QB Challenge in Orlando they set up a meet 7 greet with QB's before the event BUT it was 1 line until you reached the front and then branched out to long walkways to you qb using stanchions. Well Dan Marino was hung over and no showed and many Marion fans uo front of the line, instead of allowing other fans past the people working said they had orders to do it that way.....so 9 qbs sat at the end of these rows awaiting fans who could see them but couldnt get to them.......ZERO fans got to meet with any QB...was the most ridiculous thing ever. Dan comes in hung over as hell and gets in a huge argument with organizers and says "How was I to know I was screwing over any fans other than mine this isnt my fault" ...whole place got silent and Phins fans starting throwing their stuff away...Florida Today newspaper even covered it. My fiancée at the time sent Jim a letter to Colts headquarters with a pic of us dressed in our Colts gear. I honestly wasnt sure it would even find its way into his hands...to our shock 3 weeks later she gets a signed 8 X 10 photo along with a written letter thanking us as fans and talking about his family, young son Jay etc........THAT right there is class and someone who cares. Doubt many would do that.......I became a fan for life. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

I personally had a good experience with Jim, went to the QB Challenge in Orlando they set up a meet 7 greet with QB's before the event BUT it was 1 line until you reached the front and then branched out to long walkways to you qb using stanchions. Well Dan Marino was hung over and no showed and many Marion fans uo front of the line, instead of allowing other fans past the people working said they had orders to do it that way.....so 9 qbs sat at the end of these rows awaiting fans who could see them but couldnt get to them.......ZERO fans got to meet with any QB...was the most ridiculous thing ever. Dan comes in hung over as hell and gets in a huge argument with organizers and says "How was I to know I was screwing over any fans other than mine this isnt my fault" ...whole place got silent and Phins fans starting throwing their stuff away...Florida Today newspaper even covered it. My fiancée at the time sent Jim a letter to Colts headquarters with a pic of us dressed in our Colts gear. I honestly wasnt sure it would even find its way into his hands...to our shock 3 weeks later she gets a signed 8 X 10 photo along with a written letter thanking us as fans and talking about his family, young son Jay etc........THAT right there is class and someone who cares. Doubt many would do that.......I became a fan for life. 

My moms favorite QB of all-time is Jim. She always talks about the 1995 season lol. When Michigan played Washington last season for the National Title, she wanted me to come over to watch it with her. My mom is 70 years old and partied like she was 30 during the game drinking her wine Homer Simpson Laughing GIF by FOX TV- I never seen her so happy, she was saying stuff like, take that NCAA for trying to get Jimmy in trouble, etc.. We ate pizza and I got hammered as well. My mom doesn't even really drink anymore and she is healthy, but that night was hilarious. Mom said that 95 team could beat any team ever to play because they had heart and gave 100%, and they got screwed by the Pitt Refs!

37 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

My moms favorite QB of all-time is Jim. She always talks about the 1995 season lol. When Michigan played Washington last season for the National Title, she wanted me to come over to watch it with her. My mom is 70 years old and partied like she was 30 during the game drinking her wine Homer Simpson Laughing GIF by FOX TV- I never seen her so happy, she was saying stuff like, take that NCAA for trying to get Jimmy in trouble, etc.. We ate pizza and I got hammered as well. My mom doesn't even really drink anymore and she is healthy, but that night was hilarious. Mom said that 95 team could beat any team ever to play because they had heart and gave 100%, and they got screwed by the Pitt Refs!

I will add 1 more thing to this, had Marshall Faulk played against Pitt we would have won the AFC. 

On 8/1/2024 at 5:34 PM, NFLfan said:

I don't think the Vikes will be good. We don't have much of a secondary.

I'm going to the the season opener, Vikes @ Giants.

It’ll be interesting to see how long it takes for the Vikes to toss JJ McCarthy out there. From what I’ve heard he’s exceeding expectations in camp. 

I see Minnesota winning 6-7 games and playing spoiler. Not a terrible season, just not enough for playoffs. 

• Like 2