Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2024 NFL Draft Thread Day 1 (Final Discussions, Predictions, Rumors, etc…). ****NO SPOILERS****

Listening to Mike Greenberg this morning.  All the rumors of quarterbacks, when they'll be taken, which teams would trade up to get them....

I'm just reminded of how overwhelmingly glad I am that the COLTS are not being mentioned at all in the QB draft follies this year!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John Hammonds said:

Listening to Mike Greenberg this morning.  All the rumors of quarterbacks, when they'll be taken, which teams would trade up to get them....

I'm just reminded of how overwhelmingly glad I am that the COLTS are not being mentioned at all in the QB draft follies this year!

What did Greeny say about the Vikes and our quest for a QB this year?

23 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

What did Greeny say about the Vikes and our quest for a QB this year?

Mostly what you already knew -- that there's noise out there that they may trade up to get one of the QB's.  But that it's also very weird to consider trading up that far to get the fourth graded QB.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NFLfan said:

That is not a popular opinion here. Some love Kirk as if he did so much for us. Keenum won 13 regular season games for the Vikings in 2017 with a tiny fraction of what Kirk was paid.

Anyway, let's keep this to draft related stuff.

Who are your sleepers in this draft? Who do you think will be the QB of the future for the Vikes? I'm really nervous about this draft. 😂

My sleepers: (meaning, the kind of players coaches would like to have, more than what consensus big board gives credit to them. Some of them might need couple of years to attain their high potential, if drafted into suitable coaching environment, so a lot depends on that. Some of them have injury concerns too).

Most of them are high IQ players or high-effort, high-motor players - two traits I look for from the Drafted players, list is long but I like these guys.. gonna be interesting to see where they land and how it works out for them in long run. 

Payton Wilson, LB, NC State

Caelen Carson, CB, Wake Forest

Kiran Amegadjie, OT, Yale

Maason Smith, IDL, LSU

Christian Mahogany, OG, Boston College

Max Melton, CB, Rutgers

Zak Zinter, OG, Michigan

Bucky Irving, RB, Oregon

Khyree Jackson, CB Oregon

Dylan McMahon, C, NC State (good fit for Browns) 

Tykee Smith, SAF, Georgia

Ainias Smith, WR, Texas A&M

Cam Hart, CB, Notre Dame

Michael Barrett, LB Michigan

Malachi Corley, WR, Western Kentucky

Beaux Limmer, IOL, Arkansas  

Kamren Kinchens, S, Miami

McKinnley Jackson, IDL, Texas A&M

Kalen King, CB, Penn State

Justin Eboigbe, IDL, Alabama   

Jacob Cowing, WR, Arizona

Beau Brade, SAF, Maryland

Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville

Jalyx Hunt, EDGE, Houston Christian (I'm hoping for day 3 Vikings pickup, as Flores could work wonders with him) 

Jaheim Bell, TE, Florida State

Brennan Jackson, EDGE, Washington State 

Delmar Glaze, OT, Maryland

Myles Cole, EDGE, Texas Tech

Kristian Boyd, DT, Northern Iowa

Javontae Jean-Baptiste, DL, Notre Dame

Jordan Magee, LB, Temple

Myles Harden, CB, South Dakota

Jalen Green, EDGE, James Madison (UDFA Target prospect) 

Trey Taylor, S, Air Force (UDFA prospect)

Eyabi Okie-Anoma, EDGE, Charlotte

Qwan'tez Stiggers, CB, Toronto 

Sundiata Anderson, EDGE, Grambling State 

Daequan Hardy, CB, Penn State (Special Teams, Returner) 

Emani Bailey, RB, TCU

As for Vikings, I don't wanna rush to draft QB if the team isn't confident in the guys they could move up in draft range, and I'd like to just draft impact players that build the roster at this point.

Build the team, draft a franchise QB at right time, don't rush and ruin years trying to make someone work out in the NFL. 

37 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

My sleepers: (meaning, the kind of players coaches would like to have, more than what consensus big board gives credit to them. Some of them might need couple of years to attain their high potential, if drafted into suitable coaching environment, so a lot depends on that. Some of them have injury concerns too).

Most of them are high IQ players or high-effort, high-motor players - two traits I look for from the Drafted players, list is long but I like these guys.. gonna be interesting to see where they land and how it works out for them in long run. 

Maason Smith, IDL, LSU

Max Melton, CB, Rutgers

Zak Zinter, OG, Michigan

Bucky Irving, RB, Oregon

Cam Hart, CB, Notre Dame

Jalyx Hunt, EDGE, Houston Christian (I'm hoping for day 3 Vikings pickup, as Flores could work wonders with him) 

Jordan Magee, LB, Temple

Emani Bailey, RB, TCU

As for Vikings, I don't wanna rush to draft QB if the team isn't confident in the guys they could move up in draft range, and I'd like to just draft impact players that build the roster at this point.

Build the team, draft a franchise QB at right time, don't rush and ruin years trying to make someone work out in the NFL. 

TLDR.  Shoulda asked you who ISN’T a sleeper!  Jk!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

My sleepers.  Most of them are high IQ players or high-effort, high-motor players -

Max Melton, CB, Rutgers

Cam Hart, CB, Notre Dame

I modified the list to cut it down to what I think are the best players.  This is a good list of players, IMO.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Maason Smith, IDL, LSU

Max Melton, CB, Rutgers

Zak Zinter, OG, Michigan

Bucky Irving, RB, Oregon

Cam Hart, CB, Notre Dame

Jordan Magee, LB, Temple

Emani Bailey, RB, TCU

Thanks. That is a lot of sleepers.

Looking at those names, Jordan Magee, Sundiata Anderson, and Trey Taylor are from smaller schools.

I have my eye on Myles Cole and Myles Harden.

We need a RB.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Thanks. That seems to be too many people to be sleepers. That seems like a fourth of the draft.

Looking at those names, Jordan Magee, Sundiata Anderson, and Trey Taylor are from smaller schools.

I have my eye on Myles Cole and Myles Harden. We need a RB.

Yeah, I didn't think of it as list for sleepers, I just provided the list of guys I liked.. 

Sleepers

Isaac Guerendo

Kristian Boyd

Myles Harden

McKinnley Jackson

Daequan Hardy

1 hour ago, stitches said:

@VikingsFanInChennai who do you want for the Vikings? If you had your choice of the 3 - Maye, Daniels, McCarthy? Who do you pick? 

I like Drake Maye very much, I think it would be worth a shot to move up and get him if he gets out of top QB selections.

I like Daniels, but don't think he could play same style of QB in the NFL, he'll need to develop more of a passer which I'm not sure will happen.

I don't like the mechanics of McCarthy, he has some beautiful throws but overall doesn't have the touch, consistency and accuracy I'd like to see from QBs. I think that puts a cap on his ceiling. I'll be okay with Vikings taking him at #23 if he's still available, otherwise won't move up for him or others.

I didn't watch Penix or Nix much, if Vikings like any of the two really bad, I'd like them to take with #23 pick, not earlier. 

I just don't want to draft a QB just because they feel forced, I'd go with Darnold this year and hope to get QB in next draft(s), whenever it works out to get a top prospect. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, NFLfan said:

That is not a popular opinion here. Some love Kirk as if he did so much for us. Keenum won 13 regular season games for the Vikings in 2017 with a tiny fraction of what Kirk was paid.

Anyway, let's keep this to draft related stuff.

Who are your sleepers in this draft? Who do you think will be the QB of the future for the Vikes? I'm really nervous about this draft. 😂

I will say one last thing on this subject, you were never winning the SB with Case Keenum - he was average. The year he won 13 games, Vikings got blown out by Philly in the playoffs 38-7. Kirk gave you a punchers chance to win every year. IMO, I just think Kirk was underappreciated by Vikings fans over the years. Please read these words - I never even said Kirk was great, but he was good

On to the Draft where I will keep it - good luck tonight and I hope you get the QB you want because I think the Vikings are going QB. They almost have to with Goff, Love, and Williams being in that division.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

like Daniels, but don't think he could play same style of QB in the NFL, he'll need to develop more of a passer which I'm not sure will happen.

They said the same thing about Lamar Jackson. Actually many thought he would not make it in the NFL...running QB, etc

4 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

I like Drake Maye very much, I

Vikes FO likes Maye

46 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

They said the same thing about Lamar Jackson. Actually many thought he would not make it in the NFL...running QB, etc

Vikes FO likes Maye

Yeah, that's exactly why I am doubtful of Daniels... When I see Lamar Jackson or Jalen Hurts or Anthony Richardson, I see very well built frame, a strong muscular upper frame in all these guys supported by athletic lower frame. Daniels isn't built like Josh Allen too, he's even lighter than that.. Being a running QB isn't a problem for me as long as he has right mindset and intelligence, but Daniels has lean frame and his tape has lots of reckless running (which worked wonders at the college level), which will bring few major hits. I think Daniels will have to be very shrewd to survive in the NFL, and I hope he has it. He did look to have lightning-like burst and acceleration, so may be we'll see a new, unique set of parameters working out well for him in the NFL. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I will say one last thing on this subject, you were never winning the SB with Case Keenum - he was average. The year he won 13 games, Vikings got blown out by Philly in the playoffs 38-7. Kirk gave you a punchers chance to win every year. IMO, I just think Kirk was underappreciated by Vikings fans over the years. Please read these words - I never even said Kirk was great, but he was good

On to the Draft where I will keep it - good luck tonight and I hope you get the QB you want because I think the Vikings are going QB. They almost have to with Goff, Love, and Williams being in that division.

Vikings have Sam Darnold :) at worst, a tank job :FlamingoDancing:

• Thanks 1

• w87r changed the title to 2024 NFL Draft Thread (Final Discussions, Predictions, Rumors, etc…). ****NO SPOILERS****
15 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Vikings have Sam Darnold :) at worst, a tank job :FlamingoDancing:

I think Darnold could have his best season under KOC. He's bounced around in terrible situations (Jets/Panthers), then backed up Purdy when he actually had a good team around him. If nothing else, the Vikings have a strong OL and some good weapons that Darnold never had in his prior stops as the starter.

Edit: To clarify, I don't think Darnold will be anything special for the Vikings, but I don't think he'll be terrible either.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Shive said:

think Darnold could have his best season under KOC. He's bounced around in terrible situations (Jets/Panthers)

I agree.

Btw, shall we use this thread for the draft picks? I think so.

Just now, NFLfan said:

Last 4 minutes to make your predictions on Dr.T's Annual Colts Draft contest!!

I put in some good work on mine. Hoping to win this year. 

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Ready, anxious to see how this goes down. 

Yeah, I'm a bit nervous. Thinking there's a decent chance we trade up to get a tier 1 player.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, csmopar said:

Only about 4 times since Sunday 

LOVE IT! :thmup:

I hope Ballard can pull some Kevin Costner magic.

Wonder who Bo Callahan is this year? I think it's between Maye and McCarthy. Those are my two QB busts early this year.