Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have the 15th pick in the draft. (MERGE)

18 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

@Superman I guess the only thing that I think of from a longterm standpoint is that perhaps Ballard sees Dayo being Buckner’s replacement, in which case it could make sense to look to keep both players. And in that regard, it would be best to have flexibility with an extension with Paye on a 5th year. That might be a hard thing to plan for though, unless Buckner is for sure on his way out… and in that case, maybe he’s a trade candidate, although unlikely. 

Dayo is 15 lbs lighter than Buckner, but very similar otherwise. Longer arms actually. 

I think Dayo could play 3T full time, but he has to bulk up. He has the frame for it. And his physical profile is similar to Buckner's. 

But Buckner is special. From the time he was in the draft, his combination of size, length, power, and quickness, plus his technique (which has only improved), make him a standout. People talked about him and Armstead together, especially when they both wound up with the Niners, but Buckner was always better. I loved him coming out, and he's been just as good as I thought he'd be. Other DTs get the headlines, and they deserve them, but Buckner is way up there. I don't think Dayo will ever be good enough to be considered a Buckner replacement. IMO, if we want to start talking about Buckner's successor, we need to shoot higher than Dayo.

• Like 3

Just now, Superman said:

I'm sick of hearing about PFF grades, personally. I get why people like them, and I don't think they're worthless, but they get used as authoritative, definitive metrics, and that annoys me. /rant

That said, sure, Paye is better against the run and should get more recognition for that. But do you pay a DE on a second contract to defend the run? Or do you want a game changing pass rush threat? 

Coltstrong also brings up a good point: Dayo plays inside at 3T at times, and that's a different story in the run game. 

I know you dislike PFF, that's why I said some don't like them at all(and was surprised NCF tagged you asking about it). It's just an additional tool to look at.

Paye has been improving every year as a pass rusher, I expect him to get to double digits this season.

Double digit sacks and a good edge rush defender is pretty solid combo.

Can't wait to see what this new DL coach does with everyone.

I'm not even talking about a 2nd contract at the moment. I wouldn't hesitate to give him $13m 5th year option though(I'd still wait till after FA and the draft to see how things play out). $13m will be about 1/3 of what elite pass rushers will be making come 2025, when the 5th year kicks in.

And don't take anything I say about Dayo as a negative, I love the guy, one of my favorites. Hope his development keeps improving as well. 

23 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think Dayo could play 3T full time, but he has to bulk up. He has the frame for it. And his physical profile is similar to Buckner's. 

But Buckner is special. From the time he was in the draft, his combination of size, length, power, and quickness, plus his technique (which has only improved), make him a standout. People talked about him and Armstead together, especially when they both wound up with the Niners, but Buckner was always better. I loved him coming out, and he's been just as good as I thought he'd be. Other DTs get the headlines, and they deserve them, but Buckner is way up there. I don't think Dayo will ever be good enough to be considered a Buckner replacement. IMO, if we want to start talking about Buckner's successor, we need to shoot higher than Dayo.

I feel the same.

Regarding Buckner... he was drafted 7th overall. So that speaks in itself how he was viewed. And it was accurate. 

And if Buck wants to stay, then I say all the power to him. Never just let a player of his caliber walk without good reason. They don't have one right now. I've said on this forum before that while our top talent isn't at premium positions, it doesn't mean we don't have some game changers. I've longed to see Jonathan Taylor, Quenton Nelson, and Deforrest Buckner (and for what it's worth Shaq Leonard) in the playoffs. Guys of that caliber need to be on that stage. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm sick of hearing about PFF grades, personally. I get why people like them, and I don't think they're worthless, but they get used as authoritative, definitive metrics, and that annoys me. /rant

That said, sure, Paye is better against the run and should get more recognition for that. But do you pay a DE on a second contract to defend the run? Or do you want a game changing pass rush threat? 

Coltstrong also brings up a good point: Dayo plays inside at 3T at times, and that's a different story in the run game. 

Exactly. What is the 3T doing in the run? Taking on double teams? Yeah, it's important to have a guy take them on efficiently, but it's also going to probably throw ratings like that off...

52 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Exactly. What is the 3T doing in the run? Taking on double teams? Yeah, it's important to have a guy take them on efficiently, but it's also going to probably throw ratings like that off...

I wouldn't mind a 1-gapping NT role for Buckner like a Wade Philips' 1-gap 3-4 scheme thrown in for passing downs because it reduces the need for Grover, who is not a pocket pusher or pass rusher from the middle while Buckner can still do his thing. We will need good LBs that can fly though, converting our lighter DEs like Ebukam to LBs for those situations. 

Jay Ratliff of Cowboys was Buckner's size when used by Wade Philips when he coached the Cowboys, just not sure if Gus Bradley will be versatile enough to try that out in TC and implement on game day.

1 hour ago, w87r said:

I know you dislike PFF, that's why I said some don't like them at all(and was surprised NCF tagged you asking about it). It's just an additional tool to look at.

Paye has been improving every year as a pass rusher, I expect him to get to double digits this season.

Double digit sacks and a good edge rush defender is pretty solid combo.

Can't wait to see what this new DL coach does with everyone.

I'm not even talking about a 2nd contract at the moment. I wouldn't hesitate to give him $13m 5th year option though(I'd still wait till after FA and the draft to see how things play out). $13m will be about 1/3 of what elite pass rushers will be making come 2025, when the 5th year kicks in.

And don't take anything I say about Dayo as a negative, I love the guy, one of my favorites. Hope his development keeps improving as well. 

I don't dislike PFF, just how the grades are referenced. 

For Paye, if he improves with our new DL coach and starts looking like a consistent pass rusher, then I'd be fine with re-signing him after 2024. But if we option him, and he's a 6 sack guy next year, that feels like a poor use of $13m. For now, I don't see the need to option him.

If you see him as a guy who's on his way to a $20m/year contract, then it would make sense to get him at $13m for 2025. I don't think I see that in him right now. 

2 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

@Superman I guess the only thing that I think of from a longterm standpoint is that perhaps Ballard sees Dayo being Buckner’s replacement, in which case it could make sense to look to keep both players. And in that regard, it would be best to have flexibility with an extension with Paye on a 5th year. That might be a hard thing to plan for though, unless Buckner is for sure on his way out… and in that case, maybe he’s a trade candidate, although unlikely. 

Dayo is 15 lbs lighter than Buckner, but very similar otherwise. Longer arms actually. 

I believe Dayo is 285.   I believe Buckner is 295.     Am I off on those numbers?   

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Superman said:

If you see him as a guy who's on his way to a $20m/year contract, then it would make sense to get him at $13m for 2025. I don't think I see that in him right now. 

Not optioning him should give the extra motivation in what will be big big contract year for him to put on a show. He can write his own ticket.

43 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't dislike PFF, just how the grades are referenced. 

For Paye, if he improves with our new DL coach and starts looking like a consistent pass rusher, then I'd be fine with re-signing him after 2024. But if we option him, and he's a 6 sack guy next year, that feels like a poor use of $13m. For now, I don't see the need to option him.

All these years and I thought I knew you pretty well.   Turns out, my bad.   I would NOT have included you for comment had I realized your views on PFF.   So sorry.  Wasn’t trying to give you homework to do.  You learn something everyday. 

Glad you stayed out if it.   :giveup:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I believe Dayo is 285.   I believe Buckner is 295.     Am I off on those numbers?   

I was just going off measurables. It’s pretty close, and I would venture to say that at any time throughout the year, they are probably give or take 10 lbs. Buckner has nearly two inches on him, and inch on those yard stick hands he possesses, but Dayo has longer arms, which is really hard for me to fathom. 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

just how the grades are referenced. 

I think they are generally referenced the way they are because it's easy to look at grades and rankings that already have some research behind them, rather than just raw stats. As I said, no one says they are the end-all, or anything, just a tool.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I'm not sure what I see him at, at this point.

I do know that the cap is projected to be about $273m in 2025(could be higher), and $13m is less than 5% of that. $13m in 2025 just isn't that much. Carl Granderson is under contract for nearly $12m($13.8m dead cap) in 2025. John Franklin-Myers is under contract for $17.4m($7m dead cap), 33 year old Preston Smith $17.5m($9.8m dead cap).

Franklin Myers might not be a good example.

Guess my point is, I see more positive than negative on picking up the option. 

I will be surprised if the Colts don't exercise the option, but as I said before, there is no need to rush the decision. We have the 2 months to see what moves are made at DE. If we draft one high, definitely lowers the chance of exercising option. If we sign a FA, lowers it even more.

Seems like a small gamble, that could potentially have a huge payoff. Where as on the flip side, what if he does have a 12 sack or more season with increased pressures(whatever your definition of improvement is) to go with his good edge run defense next season? He probably would be asking for $20m in 2025, if we don't exercise the 5th year option. Would rather him feel wanted with the option than to worry about maybe giving him a few million more than he may be worth on the 5th year if he regresses.

If we exercise the option and he continues to grow it will be worth every penny. Don't see any reason for regression this coming season, I just see golden opportunities to improve.

New DL coach has me a little pumped up.

Anyway, that's a long post. I'm ready for the off-season to kick off already. Like everyone else.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, w87r said:

I do know that the cap is projected to be about $273m in 2025(could be higher)

Is the "could be higher" dependent on if Taylor Swift dumps Travis Kelce or not? 🙃

30 minutes ago, w87r said:

Guess my point is, I see more positive than negative on picking up the option. 

I will be surprised if the Colts don't exercise the option, but as I said before, there is no need to rush the decision. We have the 2 months to see what moves are made at DE. If we draft one high, definitely lowers the chance of exercising option. If we sign a FA, lowers it even more.

Seems like a small gamble, that could potentially have a huge payoff. Where as on the flip side, what if he does have a 12 sack or more season with increased pressures(whatever your definition of improvement is) to go with his good edge run defense next season? He probably would be asking for $20m in 2025, if we don't exercise the 5th year option. Would rather him feel wanted with the option than to worry about maybe giving him a few million more than he may be worth on the 5th year if he regresses.

I originally thought this way. But along those same lines, would a multi-year backloaded deal be much different in year 1 towards the cap than exercising the option? And if it's relatively close, wouldn't the small amount justify more evaluation before rushing that contract? I know that it has been reported that Ballard's buddy Dorsey's career ender in KC was largely from dishing out big contracts without exercising much patience or influence from his team (including CB). I think he'll be patient. 

7 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Is the "could be higher" dependent on if Taylor Swift dumps Travis Kelce or not? 🙃

I originally thought this way. But along those same lines, would a multi-year backloaded deal be much different in year 1 towards the cap than exercising the option? And if it's relatively close, wouldn't the small amount justify more evaluation before rushing that contract? I know that it has been reported that Ballard's buddy Dorsey's career ender in KC was largely from dishing out big contracts without exercising much patience or influence from his team (including CB). I think he'll be patient. 

5th year option 2.5 times lower than the elite players at the position, is not dishing out a big contract without exercising patience.

The 5th year option is exercising patience, and there is a deadline to do so(and I'm all for waiting till the deadline to do so). Sign the 5th year option and you don't have to worry about a big contract until 2026, if that isn't being patient, I then I don't know is. That's the difference, you don't sign the 5th year option, then you have to make an early decision on if you want to sign a longer contract a year sooner than needed.

The Colts might exercise the option and still work out a long term extension in 2025, but that will be after they used as much evaluation time as possible and came to the conclusion that Paye is worth the long term investment.

And the could be higher is just like this year. It was projected to go up to the $240-$242m mark, instead it went up to $255m.

If they select an Edge at #15, like I said, it will lower the chances of that happening, but I don't think it would for sure have them not exercise the option still at that point. We would have in 2025.

Ekubam - $11m

Paye - $13m

#15 Edge - $4m

So (3) guys for under $30m, still lower than the (1) elite player at the position, and we know we need waves of players in the rotation, so the more the merrier.

24 minutes ago, w87r said:

5th year option 2.5 times lower than the elite players at the position, is not dishing out a big contract without exercising patience.

Why is Kwity Paye and elite edge rushers even in the same sentence? He’s not. I doubt very seriously he changes that overnight and becomes that in a contract year. So again- what is the difference between the first year cap hit on what he’s to likely sign an extension for and the 5th year option? Is he even better than Ebukam? I’m not sure he is… 

8 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Why is Kwity Paye and elite edge rushers even in the same sentence?

Outside of literally being used in the same sentence, they are not being used in the same sentence as to put them on the same skill level.

Saying someone will be paid 2.5 times less doesn't put them on an equal level or suggest he is elite. It shows how little the $13m is, in the DE/Edge spectrum.

12 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

So again- what is the difference between the first year cap hit on what he’s to likely sign an extension for and the 5th year option?

I think it's pretty obvious , kinda like my answer above. 

5th year option has no future cap allocations after it. Back loaded extension, would have bigger cap hits after year 1 that might not need to be committed. Weren't you talking about patience? Why would you want to commit more money to the future than needed, if you can have another relatively cheap evaluation year to make the call.

Now like I said, they might half way through the 5th year evaluation period to decide to give him an extension, maybe not, but they will have more time to make that informative decision. 

That's exercising patience.

14 minutes ago, w87r said:

Saying someone will be paid 2.5 times less doesn't put them on an equal level or suggest he is elite. It shows how little the $13m is, in the DE/Edge spectrum.

how little it is on the elite spectrum… Ebukam makes little on the DE/edge spectrum too huh? 

15 minutes ago, w87r said:

5th year option has no future cap allocations after it. Back loaded extension, would have bigger cap hits after year 1 that might not need to be committed. Weren't you talking about patience? Why would you want to commit more money to the future than needed, if you can have another relatively cheap evaluation year to make the call.

Now like I said, they might half way through the 5th year evaluation period to decide to give him an extension, maybe not, but they will have more time to make that informative decision. 

That's exercising patience.

no it’s not. It’s exercising the need to give him another year past what you already have. They might half way through the last year of his rookie contract decide he is or isn’t worth having for another year. In which case they will have options. Perhaps he’s worth a bit more than the 5th year option, but it allowed for more evaluation and time to decide. 

Also regarding the 5th year… Ballard has picked up what? Once? Nelson? Is that it? He’s thought so little of the option that he’s traded just outside of the 1st round multiple times. Some GM’s value it so much that they trade back into the 1st round to have the option. 

Perhaps he does it. And hopefully we will get the reasoning behind it. But I’m not sure he’s going to. 

4 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

how little it is on the elite spectrum… Ebukam makes little on the DE/edge spectrum too huh? 

no it’s not. It’s exercising the need to give him another year past what you already have. They might half way through the last year of his rookie contract decide he is or isn’t worth having for another year. In which case they will have options. Perhaps he’s worth a bit more than the 5th year option, but it allowed for more evaluation and time to decide. 

Also regarding the 5th year… Ballard has picked up what? Once? Nelson? Is that it? He’s thought so little of the option that he’s traded just outside of the 1st round multiple times. Some GM’s value it so much that they trade back into the 1st round to have the option. 

Perhaps he does it. And hopefully we will get the reasoning behind it. But I’m not sure he’s going to. 

Ballard has barely had any first round picks. I believe Nelson, Paye, hooker I believe have been it. Of course hookers was denied. So he hasn’t  had many to have to make that decision on. I am ok giving it to Paye  to give him one more year of evaluation. I am also ok if they don’t do it.

4 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Also regarding the 5th year… Ballard has picked up what? Once? Nelson? Is that it? He’s thought so little of the option that he’s traded just outside of the 1st round multiple times. Some GM’s value it so much that they trade back into the 1st round to have the option

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Ballard has barely had any first round picks. I believe Nelson, Paye, hooker I believe have been it. Of course hookers was denied. So he hasn’t  had many to have to make that decision on. I am ok giving it to pay to give him one more year of evaluation. I am also ok if they don’t do it.

he picked up Kelly’s as well. And he did at the end of April. 

he then signed him to an extension just after the 5th year season started. So he picked it up with the full intention of signing an extension. 

we’ll know come end of April where things are headed with Kwity Paye, I believe. Like @Superman, I don’t see a need of picking him up as there is competition that might dictate whether an extension is even considered. If Dayo has the ability, in Ballard’s eyes, to be the superior option, why would he commit $13 million to Paye? 

he picked up Kelly’s as well. And he did at the end of April. 

he then signed him to an extension just after the 5th year season started. So he picked it up with the full intention of signing an extension. 

we’ll know come end of April where things are headed with Kwity Paye, I believe. Like @Superman, I don’t see a need of picking him up as there is competition that might dictate whether an extension is even considered. If Dayo has the ability, in Ballard’s eyes, to be the superior option, why would he commit $13 million to Paye? 

I forgot about Kelly.  If they feel he isn’t worth 13 million but worth something less and is important maybe they extend him for say 8 or 9. I think Dayo is going to be the guy that will end up costing that 13 million.

Back to Kwity: I’d pick up the 5th year option. I know it’s a gamble but IMO he’s improving and that’s the key. Three more sacks than last year and he’s at 11.5 if I recall. That equates to big money in the NFL and would make his $13m salary in 2025 a bargain. 

19 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Back to Kwity: I’d pick up the 5th year option. I know it’s a gamble but IMO he’s improving and that’s the key. Three more sacks than last year and he’s at 11.5 if I recall. That equates to big money in the NFL and would make his $13m salary in 2025 a bargain. 

It was 8.5 and as many on this forum would agree, sacks aren’t exactly a true reflection of efficient pass rush… We need more consistency and the boss says so. 

47 minutes ago, Hoose said:

There really is not any risk because it only gives you one more year. We know Paye is going to be a great run defender and give us 8-10 sacks. Paye is a good player. It’s not like he is a really bad player.

20 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Dayo is the one who really has improved finishing with far fewer snaps than Kwity. He had 8 sacks to Kwity’s 8.5 and almost twice as many quarterback hits 17-9.  Kwity has not really excelled for being a 1st rd pick.  You see that in his option number.  It will be interesting to see what they do especially after FA and the draft. It’s not a given by any means right now.

7 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Dayo is the one who really has improved finishing with far fewer snaps than Kwity. He had 8 sacks to Kwity’s 8.5 and almost twice as many quarterback hits 17-9.  Kwity has not really excelled for being a 1st rd pick.  You see that in his option number.  It will be interesting to see what they do especially after FA and the draft. It’s not a given by any means right now.

If Paye was projected to be an elite pass rusher he would have gone top five. He was pick 21 for a reason. But I agree Dayo is the better pass rusher and has been durable since coming back from that Achilles and playing in the league.

16 hours ago, Superman said:

I agree with this whole post FWIW. Regarding PFF, I am not a big fan of it either. It is an ok measuring stick, so I am not saying it is useless but it doesn't tell the whole story. Some in here swear by it.

47 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

There really is not any risk because it only gives you one more year. We know Paye is going to be a great run defender and give us 8-10 sacks. Paye is a good player. It’s not like he is a really bad player.

29 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

If Paye was projected to be an elite pass rusher he would have gone top five. He was pick 21 for a reason. But I agree Dayo is the better pass rusher and has been durable since coming back from that Achilles and playing in the league.

if you believe Dayo is the better pass rusher, then there is risk in picking the option up. The risk is that you may not able to afford Dayo if he plays at the level we want one of them to play at this season. That’s a problem. 

12 hours ago, w87r said:

If we exercise the option and he continues to grow it will be worth every penny. Don't see any reason for regression this coming season, I just see golden opportunities to improve.

New DL coach has me a little pumped up.

If he looks like a really good edge rusher after 2024, I have no problem with him getting the $20m/year contract. It would be better to have exercised the 5th year option in that case. I just don't know that he's on that kind of trajectory, and for what he's shown so far, $13m seems unnecessary. I'm not super worried about him feeling wanted, I'm more concerned with him being motivated. Not that he isn't already, but if we decline the 5th year option -- especially if we draft competition at edge rusher -- I think that helps light a fire. 

I don't dislike Paye, I'm not calling him a disappointment or a bust. But his impact and production are not at the level I would want for a highly paid DE. And giving our new DL coach an opportunity to work with him for a year and see how it looks is my preferred route right now. If he comes out on fire in 2024, go ahead and start working on a new contract.

JMO. Exercising the option is probably the safe route, and it wouldn't surprise me if the Colts do that. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

All these years and I thought I knew you pretty well.   Turns out, my bad.   I would NOT have included you for comment had I realized your views on PFF.   So sorry.  Wasn’t trying to give you homework to do.  You learn something everyday. 

Glad you stayed out if it.   :giveup:

Not a problem. I wouldn't have minded responding, but by the time I saw the request the conversation had moved on. 

To be clear, I don't have a problem with PFF, they provide a service that no one else does, and there's value in it. I just don't enjoy the discourse around PFF grades when it comes to talking about player performance. 

25 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I wonder if Ballard would be interested in tagging Pittman and trading him to the Chiefs for a tagged LaJarius Sneed.  He would still have other FA options at wide receiver.  Just thinking out loud.

When I saw the news on KC potentially looking at that with Snead, I thought of this. 

I'd say Pittman would be all over it, and it could be a win-win for all parties. (Maybe not for Snead, lol..)  Especially if agreed to early enough and each franchise has the ability to hit free agency with a new plan. It cannot go official until the first day free agency, is that correct? That would require a serious look at free agent receivers. And I just don't know that it would even be considered, quite frankly. But you never know. Snead would be nice. But keeping Pittman would be too.

10 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

When I saw the news on KC potentially looking at that with Snead, I thought of this. 

I'd say Pittman would be all over it, and it could be a win-win for all parties. (Maybe not for Snead, lol..)  Especially if agreed to early enough and each franchise has the ability to hit free agency with a new plan. It cannot go official until the first day free agency, is that correct? That would require a serious look at free agent receivers. And I just don't know that it would even be considered, quite frankly. But you never know. Snead would be nice. But keeping Pittman would be too.

I don’t think it would go official until FA starts but it could be agreed to.  Both players are around the same age.  It looks like a win win if Ballard can get a quality WR in FA.  As far as I know Evans, Ridley, Brown and Davis will be out there.  You never know.  I imagine a lot of conversations are being held this week.

Who is going to catch balls? Did you see how bad we were when he missed the Atlanta game. No you don’t sacrifice offense for a corner like that.

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Who is going to catch balls? Did you see how bad we were when he missed the Atlanta game. No you don’t sacrifice offense for a corner like that.

You do if your receiver wants out and plans on holding out when tagged... There are viable options in free agency to upgrade, as well as the draft. The receiving room needs help regardless. There are many here that think Pittman is not worthy of commanding wr1 money, which is now even higher. I'm on the fence. 

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I don’t think it would go official until FA starts but it could be agreed to.  Both players are around the same age.  It looks like a win win if Ballard can get a quality WR in FA.  As far as I know Evans, Ridley, Brown and Davis will be out there.  You never know.  I imagine a lot of conversations are being held this week.

Can you imagine the scenarios that are flying right now. Everyone is trying to find an advantage. Everyone looking for win-win moves. 

I can only imagine how much Ryan Poles phone will be blowing up over the next two months. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

You do if your receiver wants out and plans on holding out when tagged... There are viable options in free agency to upgrade, as well as the draft. The receiving room needs help regardless. There are many here that think Pittman is not worthy of commanding wr1 money, which is now even higher. I'm on the fence. 

You’re projecting and don’t know that. How about we wait and see what happens. Why would he want out?  You don’t want to get Richardson back and just add another rookie WR to the mix. Keeping Pittman and adding a rookie WR does make sense. I really don’t understand all this if he wants out stuff. It’s very weird to me.