Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have the 15th pick in the draft. (MERGE)

37 minutes ago, Superman said:

Bowers can block. He's not going to be the best blocking TE, but against light DEs and LBs, and at the second level, he's more than adequate. He works hard and gives great effort, no doubt about that.

There isn't a lot of bad in this cut up, I think that's a misrepresentation. If you watch full games, you'll see him lose some reps. 

You can't meet with everyone. I think his physical profile is exactly what the Colts target at CB, though.

That coincides with the report I read about Bowers.  Blocking is not his strongest attribute.  Adequate at it for the most part in college.  At the next level he’s going to have to get better at I would think.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

I do to.  If they do pick at 15 and it’s BPA I find it hard to believe that would be Bowers.  I don’t see TE  as being the number one need.  I see WR, ER, DT, CB.  For example I would take Sweat over Bowers.

What's to be confused about?  in one sentence, you say they'll take BPA at pick 15, but in the very next sentence you say it won't be Bowers because TE is not the #1 need.  Since when does taking BPA mean you're taking a player at the position that's your #1 need?  That is a contradiction.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

That coincides with the report I read about Bowers.  Blocking is not his strongest attribute.  Adequate at it for the most part in college.  At the next level he’s going to have to get better at I would think.

and if he’s the athlete he is cracked up to be, he will. 

I think would rather have a superb receiving tight end bulk up and get better at blocking than try and develop a strong blocker but weak receiver into an all around tight end. 

If college’s can take a receiver and make them a legit linebacker, or a tight end and make them a legit offensive tackle, then an nfl team should be able to take a  top receiving tight end whose only knock is marginal blocking ability and make him into an all around stud. The effort is what matters… Bowers isn’t lacking in that aspect. Bulk him up and mold him into a game wrecker. 

16 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

We know what he is good at but apparently blocking is not one of them according to this evaluation.

Well, I don't know who else I speak for here, but I think I'll wait until you find and share that report so I can see where it came from before deciding whether or not to give it any consideration.  :) 

Let’s play devil’s advocate on Brock bowers for a moment. 

with the lions 34th pick of the 2023 draft, they pick Sam Laporta, tight end out of Iowa. Here is a draft analysis of Sam.

LaPorta doesn’t have an elite-size profile, but he does have elite-testing athleticism. One of LaPorta’s key strengths as a tight end is his catching instincts. Overall, LaPorta is a bend-don’t-break blocker who occasionally loses control with his lacking strength, but he consistently fulfills his assignments and brings solid effort. He’s also versatile with his alignments. He can function as a lead blocker, and with his athleticism, he can also block on the move and work in space.

now Bowers- 

Brock Bowers is a rare, explosive play threat from the tight end position. Anytime he touches the ball, he could go for a house call.

Bowers has exceptional burst and speed. He tears away from most defenders once he gets the angle on them, and he rarely gets caught from behind. 

potential, but he's feisty. Bowers works his tail off in the run game. Bigger, stronger ends can still overwhelm him, but he makes them work for it. Bowers is far more useful as an on-the-move blocker out in space or at the second level.

Bowers isn't exactly built like a traditional Y tight end, but that's OK. Everything he offers athletically more than makes up for lack of ideal size. Bowers is a truly special player with the ball in his hands who can instantly transform any passing game.

Sam LaPorta had one of the best rookie years ever. Similar sized and not known for his blocking, he proved that effort and willingness to improve goes a long way. I would take a Sam LaPorta in a heartbeat, and so would most teams… It’s why I don’t see any way Bowers falls to 15. He will bring effort at blocking, and he will be a game changer in the passing game right away. If he falls to us, we would be silly not to take him, imo. 

• Like 4

Unless the FO is willing to move up, the Colts will have no shot at Bowers.  Every GM in the league knows the value of a Kelce, Laporte, Kittle, et al.  He’ll be long gone.  Sad though, NONE of the Colts current TE’s will consistently help our young QB (and receiving corps) the way a Brock Bowers would.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Let’s play devil’s advocate on Brock bowers for a moment. 

with the lions 34th pick of the 2023 draft, they pick Sam Laporta, tight end out of Iowa. Here is a draft analysis of Sam.

LaPorta doesn’t have an elite-size profile, but he does have elite-testing athleticism. One of LaPorta’s key strengths as a tight end is his catching instincts. Overall, LaPorta is a bend-don’t-break blocker who occasionally loses control with his lacking strength, but he consistently fulfills his assignments and brings solid effort. He’s also versatile with his alignments. He can function as a lead blocker, and with his athleticism, he can also block on the move and work in space.

now Bowers- 

Brock Bowers is a rare, explosive play threat from the tight end position. Anytime he touches the ball, he could go for a house call.

Bowers has exceptional burst and speed. He tears away from most defenders once he gets the angle on them, and he rarely gets caught from behind. 

potential, but he's feisty. Bowers works his tail off in the run game. Bigger, stronger ends can still overwhelm him, but he makes them work for it. Bowers is far more useful as an on-the-move blocker out in space or at the second level.

Bowers isn't exactly built like a traditional Y tight end, but that's OK. Everything he offers athletically more than makes up for lack of ideal size. Bowers is a truly special player with the ball in his hands who can instantly transform any passing game.

Sam LaPorta had one of the best rookie years ever. Similar sized and not known for his blocking, he proved that effort and willingness to improve goes a long way. I would take a Sam LaPorta in a heartbeat, and so would most teams… It’s why I don’t see any way Bowers falls to 15. He will bring effort at blocking, and he will be a game changer in the passing game right away. If he falls to us, we would be silly not to take him, imo. 

This man needs to be in Colts blue !!

Bowers vs Auburn.  The whole video is great but check out the play at 1:50 and 2:24.  Look how he bails his QB out.

13 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Unless the FO is willing to move up, the Colts will have no shot at Bowers.  Every GM in the league knows the value of a Kelce, Laporte, Kittle, et al.  He’ll be long gone.  Sad though, NONE of the Colts current TE’s will consistently help our young QB (and receiving corps) the way a Brock Bowers would.  

I wouldn’t count out Bowers being available at 15. Pitts was a generational TE prospect too and drafting him top 10 hasn’t worked out for the Falcons. Plus I could see 4 QBs go top 15 and at least 3 OTs and WRs as well. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

You shouldn't fall too much in love with 1 player. The great George Kittle was shut down with great defense by the Chiefs in the SB, Kelce was shut down for an entire half and once Greenlaw got banged up, his receptions went up. The great Marvin Harrison was shut down / diminished so many times in the playoffs, we all know that as Colts fans.

Bottom line, it is still a team sport. :) 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I wouldn’t count out Bowers being available at 15. Pitts was a generational TE prospect too and drafting him top 10 hasn’t worked out for the Falcons. Plus I could see 4 QBs go top 15 and at least 3 OTs and WRs as well. 

I agree to an extent. But the falcons and the lions are on opposite ends of the spectrum. Ben Johnson is a legit play caller. Pitts in Steichen’s offense would be better than Pitts in the hot mess that is Atlanta. Tight end production is about proper utilization. 

• Like 1

I find it ironic that the day after Ballard emphasizes they like the TE room and implies that blocking tight ends are the hard ones to find/ones sought after, seemingly everyone important in the organization is meeting with Brock Bowers… 

don’t kid yourself, they are doing their research on the kid in the event he lands in their lap…

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I find it ironic that the day after Ballard emphasizes they like the TE room and implies that blocking tight ends are the hard ones to find/ones sought after, seemingly everyone important in the organization is meeting with Brock Bowers… 

don’t kid yourself, they are doing their research on the kid in the event he lands in their lap…

As they should. And even if they love the current group, that doesn't mean they shouldn't draft Bowers if he's there at #15 and is BPA.

I don't think he'll last that long, but if he does, it's hard to imagine that he's not at the top of our board.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

As they should. And even if they love the current group, that doesn't mean they shouldn't draft Bowers if he's there at #15 and is BPA.

I don't think he'll last that long, but if he does, it's hard to imagine that he's not at the top of our board.

there may be several they have at the top that many aren’t expecting to be there. There always seems to be a head scratcher or two in the top half of the draft. 

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

IMO None of the TEs on the roster are good enough to be any sort of a factor about whether you pick Brock Bowers at 15 or not. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, stitches said:

IMO None of the TEs on the roster are good enough to be any sort of a factor about whether you pick Brock Bowers at 15 or not. 

And I think that logic holds up at practically every position for the Colts, except QB, LT, RB.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, chad72 said:

You shouldn't fall too much in love with 1 player. The great George Kittle was shut down with great defense by the Chiefs in the SB, Kelce was shut down for an entire half and once Greenlaw got banged up, his receptions went up. The great Marvin Harrison was shut down / diminished so many times in the playoffs, we all know that as Colts fans.

Bottom line, it is still a team sport. :) 

Ok.  I can’t wait to peruse this board during and after the actual draft.  :spit:

I'm not sure how people can think Bowers wouldn't be worth it at pick 15 if he's somehow there (he won't be). It's honestly wild to me. Too many people playing GM in there heads and wanting to pass on Bowers because he's a TE? Really??

He's the best TE in CFB history easily. He dominated the SEC since his true freshman year. He's the definition of a blue chip game changer with his YAC ability, being able to catch any ball thrown his radius, and just knowing where to attack a defense despite most of the D game planning for him specifically. He's also a solid and willing blocker as well.

This isn't an opinion just based on a 2 minute highlight reel. You can watch every snap of his from his freshman year to his last year and Georgia and realize he's on a different level then pretty much everyone else on the field. He's a blue chip player and he'd be an absolutely excellent weapon for AR who loves to target TEs anyways.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Ok.  I can’t wait to peruse this board during and after the actual draft.  :spit:

There will be high stakes drama here. Then there will be counters, counters to that counter and so on... lol :) 

• Like 2

Just now, colts89 said:

I'm not sure how people can think Bowers wouldn't be worth it at pick 15 if he's somehow there (he won't be). It's honestly wild to me. Too many people playing GM in there heads and wanting to pass on Bowers because he's a TE? Really??

He's the best TE in CFB history easily. He dominated the SEC since his true freshman year. He's the definition of a blue chip game changer with his YAC ability, being able to catch any ball thrown his radius, and just knowing where to attack a defense despite most of the D game planning for him specifically. He's also a solid and willing blocker as well.

This isn't an opinion just based on a 2 minute highlight reel. You can watch every snap of his from his freshman year to his last year and Georgia and realize he's on a different level then pretty much everyone else on the field. He's a blue chip player and he'd be an absolutely excellent weapon for AR who loves to target TEs anyways.

I don't think anyone is saying that. Bowers, if he is there at No.15, could very well be BPA.

But if you go back to 2017 they had Malik Hooker as a Top 10 guy that we didn't think would drop, and when we dropped to No.15, they were ecstatic and got him for Pagano's system. Flash forward, now to another year with the same No.15 pick. Malik Nabers, he is a Top 7 or 8 guy and for some weird reason, and say he dropped to No.15 (yeah I am using another Malik as example), we are running to the podium in that case. :) 

In that case, Bowers will not be BPA. Weird things happen in the draft. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, colts89 said:

My comment isn’t about whether or not the Colts would take Bowers if he’s there at 15.   

But to your comment that Bowers is the best TE of all time, that’s not the viewpoint of the multiple analysts at NFL.com or ESPN.com.   

Yes, he’s the best TE of his class.  He’ll probably be drafted between 6-10 and it’s doubtful he falls to 15 (but not impossible).   Id say they view Bowers as one of the best TE’s of the last 20-25 years,  but no one I’ve read has called him anything close to greatest of all-time. 

13 minutes ago, krunk said:

I've said before we need a combo like Gronk and Hernandez. I like the potential of Bowers and Woods. And A Rich is accurate over the middle of the field.

Is Woods becoming the ultimate tease now? It is like practice squad WRs that fans fall in love with, thinking about what the possibilities could be, but without the availability. :) 

21 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Is Woods becoming the ultimate tease now? It is like practice squad WRs that fans fall in love with, thinking about what the possibilities could be, but without the availability. :) 

Have we seen Woods play poorly? I think he had a pretty good rookie year.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1