Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard pre-draft presser

Superman

9 hours ago, smittywerb said:

This presser has reinforced how I feel about this draft and what we might do.  This is one of the most “it can go any way” drafts I’ve been apart of as a colts fan.  Based on our needs, the strengths of this draft, and where we pick, there are numerous ways this thing can go.  Some takeaways I got from this presser

Solid post.

I'm right here to. I usually feel like I have a period pulse on what Ballard will do. This year while I feel good about certain players, when and where we strike is all over the place.

9 hours ago, smittywerb said:

Getting AR a weapon:  I think after this presser, we are definitely getting an AR another weapon.  I’m not sure if it’s going to be with the first or second pick.  Bowers to the colts doesn’t seem likely to me now.  Ballard really likes our tight end group and I can’t see him investing a high pick into the tight end room given what we have.  But either way, either the first or second pick will be a weapon.

- Anything is possible:  we may trade up, stay put, or even trade back.  It all depends on how this draft goes, who they have on their board, and where they have them rated.  I can see us trading up if one or two of the top 3 WRs get to pick 9.  I can see staying put if our trade up options are gone but someone looks to be falling to us.  I can also see us trading back if we have first round grades on certain players who are left and can be chosen later in the first round.  I can see all of these things happening and it really all depends on how things play out.  Personally, I’d hope we trade up if one of the top 3 WRs get close enough and doesn’t cost us too much.  But either way, we’re in a unique position and this can go a lot of ways.  

Rest of the solid post 

I agree, WR/Bowers will be picked within the first two rounds.

I also don't see the big need for Bowers, not that I would be mad about the selection, definitely wouldn't trade up for it. We already have to fill of a room, would have to get rid of 2 of our current top 53 spots.

When it comes to WRs. There is 2 ways I'm looking at it.

1. Players I see can immediately be #1 immediately, pushing Pittman to #2.

2. Players that will battle with Pierce at the #2. Will consider Downs as #3 in this reference for the slot. 

Both options have good benefits, #1 probably need to trade up or get lucky top 3/4 make it to #15. #2 can trade back and get more capital, or go 2nd round while improving defense with 1st round. Both ways improve depth and is insurance for an injury. Will have that 4th guy that should be able to step into top 3 role if needed.

lot of good post in here, working my way down the line.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

A common thing that Ballard likes to say is, every pick is a throw at the dart board.  And regarding trading down, he always likes to have more throws.

I don't disagree with that.  However, I would also like to state the opinion that not every throw at the dart board is the same.  Some throws are from 10 feet.  Some throws are from 40 feet.  I would rather have two 10-foot throws than five 40-foot throws.

Just my opinion.

In theory yes, but if there are 2-3-4 guys you all have with a similar grade and you can get another dart throw later and get still get one of those guys, sometimes it makes sense.

Which you've stated, not all dart throws are the same.

Pretty much agreeing, just saying sometimes trading down is still a 10-foot dart throw, just get an extra 40-foot throw as well.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, stitches said:

Ballard will NOT draft a CB in the 1st... maybe at all? Everything he's saying seems to suggest he likes the group we have and he wants to see them play and have a chance to develop. I'm almost certain if Mitchell for example is there at 15... we pass on him... either for trade back or for an offensive weapon... or DE?

Another good post.

I took a couple things away from Ballard. 

1. Talked about adding depth.

2. Talked about needing veterans back there as well.

So yeah, if we pass on a CB in the 1st round, there are plenty of guys in rounds 2-4 that can come in and be good in the defense. So if we don't go CB in round 1, I think we take one later and bring in a FA option after the draft.

That puts the room in even better shape, gives us depth and insurance through camp. Perhaps Flowers starts year on PUP if not ready. I think he will be but that doesn't mean much.

Ballard WILL trade back. If not in the 1st... then later in the draft... but most probably in the 1st. IMO he pretty much advertised to his potential customers by telling them how many 1st round grades he has. Teams 19-21 are welcome to call and will receive warm greetings from Ballard. Rams, Steelers, Dolphins? 

Yeah, if he hasn't already had discussions, this definitely threw out an open for business call.

The Colts LOVE the OL class both at the top and in depth. I have seen some OL experts suggest there might be 10 starting centers in this draft... and the OTs class in the 1st is like nothing I've ever seen. Can we draft an OL in the 1st? Doubt it... but absolutely expect a few shots on day 2 and 3.

Definitely be taking a shot 

I've said for a while if 1 of those top 3 OTs are there, I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if we took them. I know we have (2) top 10 guys from last year, but Smith is coming off surgery and has battled injuries throughout the years. Even though he is great out there at OT, maybe the kick in has at least been considered.

Ballard emphasized the protecting Richardson multiple times, while also praising the depth and quality of OL in the draft. I imagine a couple being selected somewhere.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, w87r said:

Another good post.

I took a couple things away from Ballard. 

1. Talked about adding depth.

2. Talked about needing veterans back there as well.

So yeah, if we pass on a CB in the 1st round, there are plenty of guys in rounds 2-4 that can come in and be good in the defense. So if we don't go CB in round 1, I think we take one later and bring in a FA option after the draft.

That puts the room in even better shape, gives us depth and insurance through camp. Perhaps Flowers starts year on PUP if not ready. I think he will be but that doesn't mean much.

Agreed, I think if we add more CBs it's more likely to be in FA after the draft. There are still some intriguing options out there as experienced vets, who we can add to the group and round it up well(if we grant what Ballard is saying about the CBs already on the roster as true). 

Yeah, if he hasn't already had discussions, this definitely threw out an open for business call.

Yup... 

Definitely be taking a shot 

I've said for a while if 1 of those top 3 OTs are there, I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if we took them. I know we have (2) top 10 guys from last year, but Smith is coming off surgery and has battled injuries throughout the years. Even though he is great out there at OT, maybe the kick in has at least been considered.

Ballard emphasized the protecting Richardson multiple times, while also praising the depth and quality of OL in the draft. I imagine a couple being selected somewhere.

Same... I really like Fuaga and I think he fits really well that Steichen offense plus he has some versatility on the OL until the time comes for him to take on the RT starting spot. I think you keep Smith at RT until you decide to let him go(when his contract expires or if you decide to trade him...) because at some point you will have to make some sacrifices, and if you have a ready made talent in the wings waiting to take that spot, I can see Ballard sacrificing Smith. 

• Like 1

Ballard's type of gamble is trading up from 44 to 41 for Jonathan Taylor. For measely 5th rounder. Him giving up a day 2 pick... let alone an additional 1st rounder for a single player just seems all wrong and against his nature.

He gave up a future 3rd + 6th for last pick in 3rd round of current draft(Cross)

He's actually has had a lot more trade ups than talked about.

Not all huge, but trading up is definitely something he has done.

3rd round into 2nd round 

2018:(Tyquan Lewis) Colts send the 67th pick + 178th pick to the Browns for the 64th pick. 

(Up 20 spots)

2019:(Willis) Colts send the 129th pick + 135th pick  to the Raiders for the 109th pick. 

(Taylor trade mentioned by you)

2020:(Taylor) Colts send the 44th overall pick 

and the 160th overall pick to the Browns for the 41st overall pick

(Up 83 spots)

2022:(Cross) Colts send the 179th pick + 2023 3rd round selection to the Broncos for the 96th pick.

I know the talk is mainly about trading in the first round.

Has traded up in 4 of the last 6 drafts.

Just wanted to show that trading up happens more than mentioned and when he does it's usually worked out. Willis was nice, he decided to do different things with his life, but that wasn't a miss. As much hate as the Tyquan trade has got over the years, I would have to say at this point it was pretty good. He is still here battled through injuries and has been playing really well. Taylor is obvious, and Cross is hopefully on the cusp of making that trade look good. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Looks like a chunk of your post dropped out.   Has averaged (WHAT?) in his career.  

Lawrence is on the verge of signing a big extension.   This is right up there with your non-stop Cooper Kupp is a product of the system remark.  Except that the Rams made him a top-10 paid WR.   If he was a system guy they wouldn’t have given him such a big contract.  

You paint yourself into corners with some of your arguments. 

For some reason his 6.7 per completion average got whited out. Having said that FWIW: I think Trevor is a good QB, not great but definitely good. So I agree with you for the most part. He did have a very good year 2 and his team won the South in 2022.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, stitches said:

My thought process is as follows - first, Raiders, Vikings, Broncos... all teams that need QB, all teams starting with better bidding position than us(higher picks than us) ... some of them will probably be bidding for 4 and teams bidding for a QB in general have more of an incentive to give better offers than a team (like us) not bidding for a QB(let alone a team with Ballard as the GM). So... I would probably give a fair offer, but I wouldn't participate in a bidding war against teams bidding for their QB of the future. Now... you always risk that Arizona just decides to not trade that pick and get MHJ instead and I'm good taking that risk... 

The really nice thing, if some of the teams mentioned above manages to trade up for McCarthy or whoever the 4th QB is, is that this drastically dampens the trade market for the following pick(since there wouldn't be a QB worthy of trading up for at that point.... presumably). Now sure... there probably will be interest from other teams to trade up for their choice of a WR, but I think the price will definitely be lower than the price for trading up to 4 when you are bidding against QB hungry teams. And again... you always risk the Chargers to just ... pick MHJ for themselves, but you just have to live with that IMO. I'm just trying to cobble up a realistic case where we end up with MHJ. Since we have Ballard as GM, IMO none of those are REALLY realistic, but IMO they are much more realistic than Ballard trying to outbid 3 teams bidding for a QB. 

I really am starting to think (5) QBs might go in front of us. I think it's 100% Williams, Maye, Daniels and McCarthy go.

There has been a little boost on Penix name the last few days, and I could see one of those teams in front of us taking him or even moving up to get them.(Giants, Denver or Vegas) this is presuming Minnesota took 1 of top 4.

Like I said, it makes sense to let the team trade up and take the QB at 4 and try and get 5. Just think it is a risk of that is your intention (to get Harrison). 

Another team trying to get Harrison could be trying to get to 4 as well, or LAC could take him, or another team wanting Harrison trading up to #5.

Not even sure where I'm going with this, just making conversation I guess.?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

2006 has that winning 11 games is enough mentality like so many here.

Having a SB level right side of our o-line should be priority one. We are far from it.

We need a shutdown corner that can go man on the many great 4.3 running WR's. This simply allows the deep safety to defend everything else. Instead of Ballard sticking him in the middle of the field knowing that one of his slow corners will get beat deep.

We need a LB for development and depth that can cover better.

And yes a 3rd receiver that gets open quick that can also threaten deep.

With faster, better players on D, Gus could blitz 5 more times a game to get the pressure we need.

I have No Doubt Steichen has taken Ownership, Ballard and his staff to school regarding what we have and what we need. 

Pray that 4-5 of our current very young players can become really solid by seasons end. Plus 3-4 really nice draft picks and 2025 and beyond we can be reckoned with.

We need to be amongst the very Best at running the dang ball and pass blocking. 

I think if I could move back 5 spots and take Mims at RT and move Smith over that would be great.

Then use the necessary draft capital to get LB Cooper and CB from Rutgers Melton. I would expect Ballard to take Leggett over a CB. That would be a good move to.

I would feel really good about our prospects.

To your 1st sentence, winning 11 games should be the goal every year because it will get you into playoffs 99% of the time. If your team wins 11 games, it is good and relevant. You don't win 11 games on a fluke. We have won 11 games once since 2014 when we had great Andrew Luck. We won 9 last year despite AR missing most of the season and our secondary playing poorly. We were a play or 2 away from winning the division and winning 10. 11 wins will win the division, it is called baby steps and AR getting more confident being able to win. I believe we are 1 huge playmaker away from being much better than last year and we won 9 games. It is a shame some in here don't think a WR like Marvin or even Nabors would not improve this team 1 or 2 games and make AR's life easier and a more exciting team to watch. I think after being average since 2015, it is time to put up or shut up. The only 2 legit seasons I can say we were good is in 2018, and 2020 under Ballard. Tell me I am wrong, because if you do, you are in denial. We won 10 games in 2018 + a playoff game = 11, and in 2020 we won 11 games. Thank you, Rivers, for 1 very good season (2020). 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, w87r said:

He gave up a future 3rd + 6th for last pick in 3rd round of current draft(Cross)

He's actually had a lot more trade ups than talked about.

Not all huge but trading up is definitely something he has done.

3rd round into 2nd round 

2018:(Tyquan Lewis) Colts send the 67th pick + 178th pick to the Browns for the 64th pick. 

(Up 20 spots)

2019:(Willis) Colts send the 129th pick + 135th pick  to the Raiders for the 109th pick. 

(Taylor trade mentioned by you)

2020:(Taylor) Colts send the 44th overall pick 

and the 160th overall pick to the Browns for the 41st overall pick

(Up 83 spots)

2022:(Cross) Colts send the 179th pick + 2023 3rd round selection to the Broncos for the 96th pick.

I know the talk is mainly about trading in the first round. Has trade up in 4 of the last 6 drafts.

Just wanted to show that trading up happens more than mentioned and when he does it's usually worked out. Willis was nice, he decided to do different things with his life, but that wasn't a miss. As much hate as the Tyquan trade has got over the years, I would have to say at this point it was pretty good. He is still here battled through injuries and has been playing really well. Taylor is obvious, and Cross is hopefully on the cusp of making that trade look good. 

That’s quite a few actually.  I think he really enjoys the draft and the wheeling and dealing opportunities it presents.  Up and down.  He struck me as being in a quite happy mood overall.  Laughing, joking having fun with the press conference and with Eisen.  I think he feels he and the team is in a great place right now.  I would say it’s in the best overall position since he started with the Colts.  If he is having talks with the teams that are looking to move up for a quarterback I would hope he would make our pick 15 available if they thought it could help them.  Maybe he could find a way to get some veteran talent to add to our roster as part of the trade compensation.  Maybe he could get a Crosby, Hockenson or Surtain.  This is the time to throw a line in the water and see if you get a nibble.  No harm no foul as they say.

4 hours ago, w87r said:

Solid post.

I'm right here to. I usually feel like I have a period pulse on what Ballard will do. This year while I feel good about certain players, when and where we strike is all over the place.

Rest of the solid post 

I also don't see the big need for Bowers, not that I would be mad about the selection, definitely wouldn't trade up for it. We already have to fill of a room, would have to get rid of 2 of our current top 53 spots.

2. Players that will battle with Pierce at the #2. Will consider Downs as #3 in this reference for the slot. 

Both options have good benefits, #1 probably need to trade up or get lucky top 3/4 make it to #15. #2 can trade back and get more capital, or go 2nd round while improving defense with 1st round. Both ways improve depth and is insurance for an injury. Will have that 4th guy that should be able to step into top 3 role if needed.

I think the best fit for what they need in a wr is Thomas. He should be there at 15. The best Db fit is probably Cooper who is somewhat of a hybrid if they were looking for him to come and be that FS and can also play nickel. I picked Cooper if they play the same old D. If they seek to go with a man  corner to change it up, I love Mitchell but he is probably  off the board. I also like Higgins if they want a man corner. He is light but man can he run and has great recovery speed. If they don't go corner in the 1st, they will address it later in the draft but not a fan of the other corners in the 1st.  I don't see TE as a need and I really doubt Bowers makes it out of the top 10. DE is always a need and Latu is intriguing as he could slide.  I do think this team needs speed at both wr and corner. I think that the Houston game at the end of the season really brought forth our lack of talent in the secondary. I listened to Ballard's presser, and he said more than a couple of times, I think", when asked about the secondary. He made those same mistakes about the O and Line. I am hoping he doesn't repeat the same mistakes. I just cannot beleive he is going into the season with this bunch in the secondary. If he does, it will cost him his job. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I think the best fit for what they need in a wr is Thomas. He should be there at 15. The best Db fit is probably Cooper who is somewhat of a hybrid if they were looking for him to come and be that FS and can also play nickel. I picked Cooper if they play the same old D. If they seek to go with a man  corner to change it up, I love Mitchell but he is probably  off the board. I also like Higgins if they want a man corner. He is light but man can he run and has great recovery speed. If they don't go corner in the 1st, they will address it later in the draft but not a fan of the other corners in the 1st.  I don't see TE as a need and I really doubt Bowers makes it out of the top 10. DE is always a need and Latu is intriguing as he could slide.  I do think this team needs speed at both wr and corner. I think that the Houston game at the end of the season really brought forth our lack of talent in the secondary. I listened to Ballard's presser, and he said more than a couple of times, I think", when asked about the secondary. He made those same mistakes about the O and Line. I am hoping he doesn't repeat the same mistakes. I just cannot beleive he is going into the season with this bunch in the secondary. If he does, it will cost him his job. 

His job is safe if Richardson plays well.   Irsay loves him

43 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I listened to Ballard's presser, and he said more than a couple of times, I think", when asked about the secondary. He made those same mistakes about the O and Line.

He was talking about how everyone was on him in 2022 because of the OL, but he told everyone after the season that they looked better in the second part of the season, and then came into last year and one of the best units in the league. They grew in 2022 and excelled in 2023.

He drew the comparison to the young secondary having to play so much last year and how he thinks it will be similar to what happened with the OL. They grew in 2023 and they'll excelling 2024.

He was talking about how everyone was on him in 2022 because of the OL, but he told everyone after the season that they looked better in the second part of the season, and then came into last year and one of the best units in the league. They grew in 2022 and excelled in 2023.

He drew the comparison to the young secondary having to play so much last year and how he thinks it will be similar to what happened with the OL. They grew in 2023 and they'll excelling 2024.

Yeah I loved it when he said they played better in the 2nd half. It was to late by that team as,Ryan was shell shocked and the team couldn't recover from its miserable start.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, w87r said:

U do realize that the returning young secondary players were not really great coming out of college? If I am correct Brents, cant stay healthy, was the only high pick and the others were very late picks. Not a lot to hand your hat on in terms of hope.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

U do realize that the returning young secondary players were not really great coming out of college? If I am correct Brents, cant stay healthy, was the only high pick and the others were very late picks. Not a lot to hand your hat on in terms of hope.

He's not done.

As far as where our guys were drafted doesn't matter, it's what you do after that. You yourself has acknowledged, that they don't need to go early with this scheme.

He will add a CB in the draft at some point 

Probably a vet after the draft.

He will probably draft a safety or bring in another vet back there after the draft 

He mentioned needing a vet presence back there. Said Moore and Blackmon, but sounded like he was wanting to add more.

There will be ample guys competing for the (5) CB and (4) S spots on the final 53.

7 minutes ago, w87r said:

He's not done.

As far as where our guys were drafted doesn't matter, it's what, it you do after that. You yourself has acknowledged, that they don't need to go early with this scheme.

He will add a CB in the draft at some point 

Probably a vet after the draft.

He will probably draft a safety or bring in another vet back there after the draft 

He mentioned needing a vet presence back there. Said Moore and Blackmon, but sounded like he was wanting to add more.

There will be ample guys competing for the (5) CB and (4) S spots on the final 53.

I agree u don't need to go early, but I would be picking starting corners in the 2nd and 3rd for this scheme. Besides Brents, were not the other guys picked at least after the 5th round? Could one of them shock us and be that guy besides Brents? Maybe but u are sure asking a lot for 3 corners picked after the 5th round to be  our number 2 corner. To boot, Brents hasnt even shown that he is a legit starting corner.Plus, Ballard has been drafting corners and safeties in the 1st and 2nd, and they  have not amounted to much. Therefore, how am I going to have much confidence in him striking gold after the 5th? Don't bring up Kenny as he is a Nicole corner 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

How have they looked in practice?  How well have they absorbed the play book?   How well have they acclimated to the rigors of being a pro athlete?

Just now, jvan1973 said:

How have they looked in practice?  How well have they absorbed the play book?   How well have they acclimated to the rigors of being a pro athlete?

Well, they were injured and when they played, they got burned. That last game in Houston told me a lot.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I agree u don't need to go early, but I would be picking starting corners in the 2nd and 3rd for this scheme. Besides Brents, were not the other guys picked at least after the 5th round? Could one of them shock us and be that guy besides Brents? Maybe but u are sure asking a lot for 3 corners picked after the 5th round to be  our number 2 corner. To boot, Brents hasnt even shown that he is a legit starting corner.Plus, Ballard has been drafting corners and safeties in the 1st and 2nd, and they  have not amounted to much. Therefore, how am I going to have much confidence in him striking gold after the 5th? Don't bring up Kenny as he is a Nicole corner 

Richard Sherman was drafted in the 5th round 

Just now, jvan1973 said:

It did,  what did it tell you?  

They are under manned. Tell me this. In 7 years what safety and/or corner had been extended to a 2nd contract under Ballard? Excluse Moore as he isa Nicole.

• Like 1

Just now, Moosejawcolt said:

That is hoping. To much of that around here.

Too much of acting like they know what they are talking about around here too.   The fact that you believe you know how to evaluate talent is hilarious.   Your evaluations haven't been good over the years.   Let's see how this year goes

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

That is hoping. To much of that around here.

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

It did,  what did it tell you?  

I would argue this. The best Dline player, Buckner, they got in a trade. The best safety, Adam's, they picked up free agency. The best corner, Gilmore, they picked up in free agency. Seeing a pattern?

Just now, jvan1973 said:

Too much of acting like they know what they are talking about around here too.   The fact that you believe you know how to evaluate talent is hilarious.   Your evaluations haven't been good over the years.   Let's see how this year goes

28th in points against.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

They are under manned. Tell me this. In 7 years what safety and/or corner had been extended to a 2nd contract under Ballard? Excluse Moore as he isa Nicole.

Didn't Blackmon just get extended?

I'm guessing you meant exclude Moore because he is a nickel.   Moore has also played outside  when needed,  and the nickel cb is a cb.  So his exemption doesn't make sense. 

5 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I would argue this. The best Dline player, Buckner, they got in a trade. The best safety, Adam's, they picked up free agency. The best corner, Gilmore, they picked up in free agency. Seeing a pattern?

28th in points against.

So a gm is only given credit if they draft the player?   Picking up free agents and trading doesn't count?  Plus Blackmon is a better safety than adams when he is healthy.   

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

So a gm is only given credit if they draft the player?   Picking up free agents and trading doesn't count?  Plus Blackmon is a better safety than adams when he is healthy.   

Come on you know the rule if a player turns out to be good Ballard gets no credit for them that just a happy freak accident that happened to acquire the player.  He only gets blame if they stink and then it’s all his fault no reasoning is acceptable.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

28th in points against.

Safety.   Adams?   Michael Adams?   Signed by Ryan Grigson, not Chris Ballard.  Is there another Adams I’m forgetting? 

As for how players were acquired…. Who cares?  Seriously, who cares?!?

Free agency and trades are all legitimate legal ways of brining in talent.  It doesn’t matter how,  it only matters that they were brought in.   Your never ending attempts to down play Ballard’s ability are laughable.  Why do you think you get so much push back?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Safety.   Adams?   Michael Adams?   Signed by Ryan Grigson, not Chris Ballard.  Is there another Adams I’m forgetting? 

As for how players were acquired…. Who cares?  Seriously, who cares?!?

Free agency and trades are all legitimate legal ways of brining in talent.  It doesn’t matter how,  it only matters that they were brought in.   Your never ending attempts to down play Ballard’s ability are laughable.  Why do you think you get so much push back?  

He legitimately thinks he can be a GM or at least a scout.  

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

To your 1st sentence, winning 11 games should be the goal every year because it will get you into playoffs 99% of the time. If your team wins 11 games, it is good and relevant. You don't win 11 games on a fluke. We have won 11 games once since 2014 when we had great Andrew Luck. We won 9 last year despite AR missing most of the season and our secondary playing poorly. We were a play or 2 away from winning the division and winning 10. 11 wins will win the division, it is called baby steps and AR gett. Itmore confident being able to win. I believe we are 1 huge playmaker away from being much better than last year and we won 9 games. It is a shame some in here don't think a WR like Marvin or even Nabors would not improve this team 1 or 2 games and make AR's life easier and a more exciting team to watch. I think after being average since 2015, it is time to put up or shut up. The only 2 legit seasons I can say we were good is in 2018, and 2020 under Ballard. Tell me I am wrong, because if you do, you are in denial. We won 10 games in 2018 + a playoff game = 11, and in 2020 we won 11 games. Thank you, Rivers, for 1 very good season (2020). 

Of course Harrison and Nabers make u better. The only issue is that u basically give up all your resources to get one player and u cannot fill any holes and this team has holes. U get Harrison and u put all the pressure on AR to score 30 plus points a game because your D is horrible. Ballard wants to protect AR. U make this a track team with no ability to stop the other team, and u will expose him to injury.

16 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He legitimately thinks he can be a GM or at least a scout.  

Hey I can too…on madden…. If I make a mistake I just reload my last save point!  Wait, Ballard doesn’t get that option?  Oh, maybe this is harder then…

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

2006 has that winning 11 games is enough mentality like so many here.

Having a SB level right side of our o-line should be priority one. We are far from it.

We need a shutdown corner that can go man on the many great 4.3 running WR's. This simply allows the deep safety to defend everything else. Instead of Ballard sticking him in the middle of the field knowing that one of his slow corners will get beat deep.

We need a LB for development and depth that can cover better.

And yes a 3rd receiver that gets open quick that can also threaten deep.

With faster, better players on D, Gus could blitz 5 more times a game to get the pressure we need.

I have No Doubt Steichen has taken Ownership, Ballard and his staff to school regarding what we have and what we need. 

Pray that 4-5 of our current very young players can become really solid by seasons end. Plus 3-4 really nice draft picks and 2025 and beyond we can be reckoned with.

We need to be amongst the very Best at running the dang ball and pass blocking. 

I think if I could move back 5 spots and take Mims at RT and move Smith over that would be great.

Then use the necessary draft capital to get LB Cooper and CB from Rutgers Melton. I would expect Ballard to take Leggett over a CB. That would be a good move to.

I would feel really good about our prospects.

I don't think the GM decides what the FS does. And while it would be nice to have a lock down corner, Bradley is going to do what he always does, with little regard for the personnel. Expecting him to change his coverage schemes or to blitz five more times a game is about as hopeless as expecting Ballard to trade up for a WR.

I agree at OL. Smith has been above average at RT, but I think moving him to RG would mean a significant improvement to the OL play. And maybe Freeland can take over at RT. Mims is a really good prospect.

The social media team would have a field day if we drafted Cooper. So would I, he's a good player. He's long, fast, moderately explosive, good change of direction, physical, and a playmaker. He's enough of a Ballard prospect.

I still think we need to see significant improvement in certain areas before we're ready to add a couple of guys and be in the conversation with the top tier in the AFC. But if we got BTJ and Cooper on the first two days, I'd be a happy guy.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, w87r said:

Solid post.

Rest of the solid post 

The way I see it we probably  adding at least 1 wr,1 cb, s,rb, ol, and possibly  a lb.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stephen said:

The way I see it we probably  adding at least 1 wr,1 cb, s,rb, ol, and possibly  a lb.

And still have one more pick if we don't add any more additional picks outside (7). 

It can be argued that LB spot is our biggest need. So round 2+3 could get interesting.

Then potentially add a vet or 2 after the draft for more competition.

On 4/20/2024 at 1:53 AM, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Two relevant points.

Regarding the team ALWAYS going to be run first team, RB shelf life is short and JT has already played a lot of years compared to average peak time for RBs, so there aren't many years in him into the future unless he goes on like Adrian Peterson. This team was run first because QBs weren't good, was it run first with Andrew Luck? I don't think this team is going to be run-first offense ALWAYS, especially after drafting AR, while expecting him to grow to be a franchise QB-level passer.

Yes, it's all true that Jefferson got drafted at 22,Ceedee went 17, Juedy went 15 , Aiyuk 25 and Higgins 33 but GM has gotta pick the right guy at right time and other teams shouldn't get to the right guy before Colts do.

For every Jefferson at #22 example, there's a Jalen Reagor at #21. The toughest part in picking Jefferson at #22 is not picking a bust like Reagor and missing out on Jefferson. As you go away from the top of the Draft, hitting on busts is more likely than exactly drafting the perfect right guy. Drafting isn't that easy, without the help of hindsight. 

Right now, We can't name which of the WRs in upcoming draft will be a good value, good return pick, even though this draft class is super, super deep on WRs. Of course, 4 years later in 2028, everyone can point out Jefferson or Higgins or Lamb or Aiyuk of 2024 WR Draft Class. 

Are you aware of who the OC’s were under the Luck era? That’s the reason it wasn’t a run first team because of the offense that was ran. AR’s skillset is the reason why he’s perfect for an RPO style of offense. As for JT he’s going to be a Colt till atleast 2025. It’s easy to point out players in hindsight but the entire point is everyone is claiming the need to trade up to secure a “Generational” talent but many have already boasted that this is the best WR draft class since 2020. We can strike gold on a WR that is not named Harrison , Nabers or Odunze.

3 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

Are you aware of who the OC’s were under the Luck era? That’s the reason it wasn’t a run first team because of the offense that was ran. AR’s skillset is the reason why he’s perfect for an RPO style of offense. As for JT he’s going to be a Colt till atleast 2025. It’s easy to point out players in hindsight but the entire point is everyone is claiming the need to trade up to secure a “Generational” talent but many have already boasted that this is the best WR draft class since 2020. We can strike gold on a WR that is not named Harrison , Nabers or Odunze.

Agreed on possibility of getting a great talent and WR1 outside the top receivers but need to get it right and the board has to fall favorably, and sometimes that might need a trade-up which may be unfavorable for the Colts. However, if the team believes in him that much, cost shouldn't be a hindrance ideally, and willingness to give up would be the question mark. 

• Like 1

On 4/20/2024 at 5:28 PM, jvan1973 said:

I'm guessing you meant exclude Moore because he is a nickel.   Moore has also played outside  when needed,  and the nickel cb is a cb.  So his exemption doesn't make sense. 

Blackmon got extended to a one year deal. Not a ringing endorsement. He also got extended because of no depth and Cross and Thomas do not have the coaches confidence.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2024 at 5:28 PM, jvan1973 said:

U want to include Moore so be it. How did having one of supposed elite nickel corners affect the Colts ability to defend the pass against outside receivers?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Blackmon got extended to a one year deal. Not a ringing endorsement. He also got extended because of no depth and Cross and Thomas do not have the coaches confidence.

I wouldn’t be so quick to include Cross in your comments.   It’s fine for you to say YOU don’t have confidence in Cross, but I think the coaches and front office certainly do.   And I think the coaches and FO also have more confidence than you do in Juju and Jones and Flowers.     Just saying….