Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bowen on Ballard’s combine press conference (MERGE)

GoColts8818

On 3/1/2024 at 9:16 AM, Defjamz26 said:

My guess for the position at 15 is WR or corner, and I lean more towards WR with how he mentioned needing to get everything around AR good so they can properly evaluate him. I also go back to the end of season presser where he talked about needing to get more explosive on offense as a hint. I’m waiting to see what some guys run in the 40 but to me, it seems like BTJ would be the target. Him and Pittman with Downs and Pierce in the rotation would be amazing.

Would be ideal getting Brian Thomas Jr after a trade down to add more picks. BTJ is valued right around the low 20s in the 1st from most mock drafts I’ve done and seen. 

43 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Would be ideal getting Brian Thomas Jr after a trade down to add more picks. BTJ is valued right around the low 20s in the 1st from most mock drafts I’ve done and seen. 

I said this before the combine and I’ll say it again now. You can’t trade down and get a guy like BTJ. Other teams will like him too. The Colts aren’t the only team who want a big speedy receiver. Our divisional rival Jags for example. They’d also love to get a guy like him In sure. If you like BTJ you take him at 15.

The guy just ran the 2nd fastest 40 for WRs and measured in at 6’2”. That will not last untill pick 25 or so.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

On 2/28/2024 at 7:50 PM, richard pallo said:

I think he said this WR class is equal to the 2020 class.  Metcalf , Lamb, Pittman.  So if he wants to get AR another weapon he has a chance to get a premier receiver prospect at 15.  May move up to get one of the top three.

Metcalf was 2019, when we drafted Parris. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I said this before the combine and I’ll say it again now. You can’t trade down and get a guy like BTJ. Other teams will like him too. The Colts aren’t the only team who want a big speedy receiver. Our divisional rival Jags for example. They’d also love to get a guy like him In sure. If you like BTJ you take him at 15.

The guy just ran the 2nd fastest 40 for WRs and measured in at 6’2”. That will not last untill pick 25 or so.

I've been watching BTJ film recently, and while I originally had a late 1st grade on him, I've changed to mid-1st, so I agree with this at this point. I would be completely fine with us drafting him at 15. I won't be surprised if both LSU WRs are top 10 receivers in the league in a year or two.

13 hours ago, Dingus McGirt said:

My observations on the interview (FWIW):

—Mostly GM speak and platitudes (as expected)

—Unless I missed it, no mention of Minshew

—MAC is likely gone

—Dulin is a favorite

—Need more YAC … Bowers maybe?

—One of Stewart, Blackmon, Moore will likely not be back

—CB takes the responsibility for the team’s performance and QB issues during his tenure (FWIW)

—Great relationship with Irsay

Lose that hat

Lose that tight shirt

Love his cackle

Bizarre how much he talked about Dulin. 

On 3/3/2024 at 6:50 AM, Defjamz26 said:

I've been saying the same thing. He's worthy of being picked at #15, so if you really want him, just take him there. 

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, ShuteAt168 said:

Bizarre how much he talked about Dulin. 

Yeah... Someone said a few weeks ago that the Colts' solution at WR can't be 'we got Dulin coming back, he's really good.' And it didn't feel great hearing Ballard talk up Dulin the way he did.

4 hours ago, Superman said:

Yeah... Someone said a few weeks ago that the Colts' solution at WR can't be 'we got Dulin coming back, he's really good.' And it didn't feel great hearing Ballard talk up Dulin the way he did.

I hope it was just typical coach/GM speak. I would like to believe that Ballard is growing as a GM. Part of that growth should be realizing that betting all your money on back end of the roster guys who were late picks or UDFAs is not a winning formula. You can have Rodney Thomas, Ashton Dulin, Eric Johnson, Jaylon Jones, etc… on the roster but they can’t be your solutions for every question.

Ballard seems to smart to believe that one UDFA WR change your offense. Grigson tried that strategy and it failed. Ballard is a lot smarter than Ryan Grigson.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Superman said:

the good news is colts still need a fourth WR. Dulin should be your fifth and ST guy.  No doubt in my mind Ballard is going to upgrade at pass catcher whether that’s bowers or another WR. Colds got lucky they only had one game missed with their 3 WR.

14 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I hope it was just typical coach/GM speak. I would like to believe that Ballard is growing as a GM. Part of that growth should be realizing that betting all your money on back end of the roster guys who were late picks or UDFAs is not a winning formula. You can have Rodney Thomas, Ashton Dulin, Eric Johnson, Jaylon Jones, etc… on the roster but they can’t be your solutions for every question.

Ballard seems to smart to believe that one UDFA WR change your offense. Grigson tried that strategy and it failed. Ballard is a lot smarter than Ryan Grigson.

This is absolutely 100% true. This is why I get upset and people drooling over late and undrafted players that haven’t done anything. Ballard has done this in the past. Hopefully it changes.

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

the good news is colts still need a fourth WR. Dulin should be your fifth and ST guy.  No doubt in my mind Ballard is going to upgrade at pass catcher whether that’s bowers or another WR. Colds got lucky they only had one game missed with their 3 WR.

He specifically talked about Dulin being able to fill the WR4 spot, which is what made me cringe. And I get why he says that about Dulin, his versatility and ability to play STs is important, compared to Pierce, for example, who I don't know if he's ever played a big role on STs and he's not as versatile on offense. 

I'm fine with having a spot on the roster for guys like Dulin, they can be important over the course of a season. But he doesn't improve our WR room in the way we need, even if he's healthy all year. We need someone who can be better than MPJ, even if we're keeping MPJ. That guy is probably not on our roster right now, and I don't know where he's coming from. But when we're talking about needing help at WR, I don't really want to hear the GM talking about WR4.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

We'll see if Ballard is different now than he was a couple seasons ago. We have a young, playmaking QB under contract, and a favorable cap situation. We have an obvious need at an important position. I'm not crazy about hearing Ballard go so in depth on what he wants at WR4 when the true need is at WR1. But what really matters is what happens in FA and the draft, not necessarily what he says in a radio interview.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Superman said:

He specifically talked about Dulin being able to fill the WR4 spot, which is what made me cringe. And I get why he says that about Dulin, his versatility and ability to play STs is important, compared to Pierce, for example, who I don't know if he's ever played a big role on STs and he's not as versatile on offense. 

I'm fine with having a spot on the roster for guys like Dulin, they can be important over the course of a season. But he doesn't improve our WR room in the way we need, even if he's healthy all year. We need someone who can be better than MPJ, even if we're keeping MPJ. That guy is probably not on our roster right now, and I don't know where he's coming from. But when we're talking about needing help at WR, I don't really want to hear the GM talking about WR4.

I don’t think we have to worry. Ballard is going to upgrade from Dulin. Mark my words.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Finding someone better than MPJ isn't easy

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I don't think it's that hard. The question is how much you're willing to pay -- contract, draft comp, etc. 

Regardless, my point is that's what the goal should be. No one is worried about what we do at WR4, so hearing Ballard spend all that time talking about it wasn't encouraging to me.

And I don't mean to make a huge deal out of Ballard going into detail about WR4 when he's mostly talking about a player he likes and how it affects roster mechanics. I don't think he said anything that was wrong. But it's like talking to your spouse about getting a really nice car, and they start sending you links to used Corollas. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I think it’s easier than most think. Pittman is t really elite at any one thing, but mostly just solid good at everything. Any receiver with good size that is elite in any one category would likely be better. For example, Nabers is a way better separator. Brian Thomas Jr. is much faster with elite speed. Odunze is a far better contested catch guy. MHJ (although I’m lower on him post combine) is better at everything. It’s just what it would take to get said players.

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't think it's that hard. The question is how much you're willing to pay -- contract, draft comp, etc. 

Regardless, my point is that's what the goal should be. No one is worried about what we do at WR4, so hearing Ballard spend all that time talking about it wasn't encouraging to me.

And I don't mean to make a huge deal out of Ballard going into detail about WR4 when he's mostly talking about a player he likes and how it affects roster mechanics. I don't think he said anything that was wrong. But it's like talking to your spouse about getting a really nice car, and they start sending you links to used Corollas. 

Hey!   I’ve been driving mostly Corolla’s for years.   They’re reliable and dependable.   My current is a hybrid and I’m getting 52 miles per gallon!    A little respect please!   

:peek:

10 hours ago, Superman said:

Dulin is an ideal #5 receiver.  He’s great on special teams and he can play outside and inside.  He’s a tremendous athlete.  He’s also been slowed by the revolving door at QB.  Dulin was also their best blocking WR.   I think Ballard was blaming himself for only having Dulin as depth.  

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Hey!   I’ve been driving mostly Corolla’s for years.   They’re reliable and dependable.   My current is a hybrid and I’m getting 52 miles per gallon!    A little respect please!   

Whoops! My bad... :shake:

4 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I think it’s easier than most think. Pittman is t really elite at any one thing, but mostly just solid good at everything. Any receiver with good size that is elite in any one category would likely be better. For example, Nabers is a way better separator. Brian Thomas Jr. is much faster with elite speed. Odunze is a far better contested catch guy. MHJ (although I’m lower on him post combine) is better at everything. It’s just what it would take to get said players.

I agree. I love MPJ, but there are  probably at least 5 WRs in this draft better than him after one year. By better, I mean a true #1 take over game WR.

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Same! I think MPJ is a Corolla. Not gonna win in a race, but he's reliable for a long time and gets you where you want to go.

• Thanks 1

On 2/28/2024 at 6:35 PM, Zoltan said:

The reason I think it's later is because he mentioned the depth when they picked Pittman in the 2nd and he's obviously happy with how that worked out, so may go with the same mentality of getting a WR in the 2nd.

He also mentioned guys like Lamb and Jefferson, who are a clear step ahead of MPJ, who went in the first.

I know one thing, we'll get a WR in the first or 2nd. I think there is also a more than typical chance he moves up to get someone he covets.