Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

College Basketball 2023-24 thread

18 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

No, they usually outshoot teams from the perimeter. 

20 free throws for a guy that is bigger and better than everyone/gets the ball every possession. They can’t not foul him. 

UConn has one guy that can defend him straight up, but most teams don’t. And when they double, it usually means open shooters on the perimeter. 

Couldn’t have said it better myself. Some people only watch 1-2 games and form an opinion. And if they called all of the fouls committed against Edey it would be double the FTs. The dude literally has scars on his arms from being clawed and scratched. Opposing coaches literally state that their plan is to foul Edey…pick your poison. And if Smith/Loyer/Gillis have the hot hand, be careful focusing on just Edey. 

BOILER UP!!!!! On to Arizona against NC State!!!!! FINAL FOUR BABY!!!!! Win/Lose this has already been a great year for the Boilermakers!!! Super proud of this group!

5dd7649e981c4.image.jpg?resize=1024,1538

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, HOZER said:

Couldn’t have said it better myself. Some people only watch 1-2 games and form an opinion. And if they called all of the fouls committed against Edey it would be double the FTs. The dude literally has scars on his arms from being clawed and scratched. Opposing coaches literally state that their plan is to foul Edey…pick your poison. And if Smith/Loyer/Gillis have the hot hand, be careful focusing on just Edey. 

I’ve said for a while now that Edey reminds me of Lebron when it comes to drawing fouls. People throw a fit, but they both attack the basket and can take a beating without flinching. The difference is edey doesn’t flop. Just because the guy doesn’t flinch and still scores when he takes a fist across the face, doesn’t mean it isn’t a foul and can’t lead to a black eye… 

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, HOZER said:

Super proud of this group!

They have showed a lot of resolve coming back from the loss last year. Purdue does it the right way. Dan Dakich had a great take on their program compared to IU’s. 

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

They have showed a lot of resolve coming back from the loss last year. Purdue does it the right way. Dan Dakich had a great take on their program compared to IU’s. 

Woah Dakich let them have it!!! He’s not wrong though. It’s all about culture. When Bobby Knight was there(RIP) they had a certain culture and everyone knew they were in for a battle against the Hoosiers. Purdue has the upmost respect for all the former greats and has several of them as assistant coaches. Hummel has become a premier announcer and holds no punches against his alma matter when they are messing up. Watching him get emotional yesterday with Coach Painter really tugged at the heartstrings. Oh and Edey giving Coach Keady a piece of the net, PRICELESS!!!!

I will admit that I was ready to put some distance between myself and the team if they had a first round exit again this year and focus on a Texas team since that’s where I live now. I know it wouldn’t have lasted, I’m a Boiler fan for life, been through many heartbreaks yet I’m still here for them. An NCAA championship would be the cherry on top, then I could say I saw my Colts, Cubs, and Boilers win it all at least once in my lifetime!!!

I also have a-lot of connections to Purdue having a daughter and future son in law currently enrolled there, as well as several family members and friends who went there. I also worked in West Lafayette as a Firefighter and got to know several of the players and cared/responded to many runs that involved PU students, athletes, and facilities. BOILER UP!!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Great game.  Edey is a beast.   Watching closely, he is fouled on nearly every play.  Defensive players just wrap their arms around him and the refs do not call it consistently.  He's stayed out of foul trouble these past 2 games so I hope that continues.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Myles said:

Great game.  Edey is a beast.   Watching closely, he is fouled on nearly every play.  Defensive players just wrap their arms around him and the refs do not call it consistently.  He's stayed out of foul trouble these past 2 games so I hope that continues.  

he generally stays out of foul trouble. He plays intelligent enough to avoid being in bad position, and uses his length instead to contest shots. 

His passing is what makes him most dangerous. Teams have to honor it, although Tennessee should have forced him to pass more, with the way their shooters weren’t connecting. I would rather die by someone else’s three ball than give up three point plays to Edey all night, fouling your guys out and creating easy free throws the last 6 plus minutes of the game. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

I'm just happy duke is out of it. Congrats to NC State having both men and women make the final 4. Hoping my Huskies can follow suit tonight... although it looks grim

they got it done. Should be a great final four. Bueckers/Clark- whooa. 

6 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

they got it done. Should be a great final four. Bueckers/Clark- whooa. 

I just have no idea how... I honestly give them no shot against Iowa.. Just crazy they made it this far with 5 players out due to injury

I am following the women just as much. Clark is amazing, go Iowa! Geno talking trash saying Paige Bueckers is the best player in the nation not Clark. He just poked the bear! Comical! Clark just destroyed LSU, go home Reese lol. 

Purdue and UConn are on a collision course for the Men Final. Before both Tournaments started, I had Purdue vs UConn on the Men side. I had Iowa vs SC on the women side. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

I just have no idea how... I honestly give them no shot against Iowa.. Just crazy they made it this far with 5 players out due to injury

Talented, well coached, and star power leadership on the floor. Can overcome a lot of issues. I wouldn’t say they can’t beat Iowa. I don’t think Iowa’s good outside of Clark. My wife kept saying lsu had the better team, Iowa just has Caitlin Clark. Well do they really have the better team then? I’ve never seen a player like her. She has the green light this weekend, in my book. I don’t know why you would shoot the ball unless you were wide open with a good percentage. Otherwise, a contested shot 5 feet behind the three point line by Clark is more effective. 

• Like 2

I think UConn destroys Alabama and Purdue beats NC State.  I am not totally sold on Purdue winning but it is how I am leaning.  UConn will be tough to beat for Purdue, but if Smith, Gillis, Jones and Loyer are on their game, they can be right in it.  

• Like 1

Women's basketball: why is Iowa Hawkeyes coach hardly even mentioned? There are many reports about Caitlin Clark (well deserved), but with the team being so successful, the coach isn't in the news. I didn't even know her name, had to look it up. Maybe the media prefers controversial figures like Kim Mulkey who always seem to make headlines for themselves. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Talented, well coached, and star power leadership on the floor. Can overcome a lot of issues. I wouldn’t say they can’t beat Iowa. I don’t think Iowa’s good outside of Clark. My wife kept saying lsu had the better team, Iowa just has Caitlin Clark. Well do they really have the better team then? I’ve never seen a player like her. She has the green light this weekend, in my book. I don’t know why you would shoot the ball unless you were wide open with a good percentage. Otherwise, a contested shot 5 feet behind the three point line by Clark is more effective. 

Clark is 2015-2016 Steph curry. She's ridiculous. But like I said about Purdue, let 1 person  absolutely dominate the game score every single point. Just don't let anyone else help. Uconn will have to do that with Clark 

2 hours ago, Myles said:

I think UConn destroys Alabama and Purdue beats NC State.  I am not totally sold on Purdue winning but it is how I am leaning.  UConn will be tough to beat for Purdue, but if Smith, Gillis, Jones and Loyer are on their game, they can be right in it.  

they will have to shoot the ball well. If they can match, or preferably best UConn’s three ball, and try to keep it a battle in the paint, then they will have a chance. If they aren’t hitting shots, it won’t be a good game. 

that’s assuming the win Saturday. They play the games for a reason.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, teganslaw said:

Women's basketball: why is Iowa Hawkeyes coach hardly even mentioned? There are many reports about Caitlin Clark (well deserved), but with the team being so successful, the coach isn't in the news. I didn't even know her name, had to look it up. Maybe the media prefers controversial figures like Kim Mulkey who always seem to make headlines for themselves. 

I agree that it is odd.  My guess is that it is because the success is viewed as mostly because of Clark.  The coaching record at iowa is good (396–217 no national championships) but not near what the other great women's basketball coaches have done.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Future lines have UConn as a 5.5 point favorite over Purdue. 

That seems about right.   But they have to play the game.  

Just now, Myles said:

That seems about right.   But they have to play the game.  

have to play Saturday first. It’s named madness for a reason. I never count out anybody. NC state nor Alabama. What a twist that would be for the national championship. 

50 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

have to play Saturday first. It’s named madness for a reason. I never count out anybody. NC state nor Alabama. What a twist that would be for the national championship. 

I'll be pulling for Alabama but do not think they stand a chance.  NC State could also beat Purdue.

U.Conn is 4-1 in the Final Four for the NCAA men's tournament and that 1 loss came in the semi-finals. In other words, they have never lost a Finals game. If they get to the Finals, they are winning it.

It is like deja vu - the big programs like UConn. and Duke beating Indiana team Butler in the Finals, I can see UConn. beating Purdue in The Finals.

In Women's basketball, I'm looking for an upset so I placed a small wager on North Carolina. I felt like taking a risk, though didn't bet money I would miss if I lose.  Last I saw South Carolina is 11 point favorites.  South Carolina is unbeaten so far, and this would be the time for their first loss. 

1 hour ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Uconn did so well against Clark. But she did well finding her teammates last night. Brutal call to end the game. But I'm proud of how far the lady huskies got considering their circumstances.

Iowa advanced I had that, what a great game that was. Now go Purdue today. I am pretty sure the UConn men will take care of business.

11 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

those women have to be watching the physicality of this game thinking, WTH? 

For real.. running 5 1/2 players and calling such ticky tack fouls.. absolutely brutal month for Geno..

But he'll get 6 players back next season and the number 1 recruit just committed today so they'll be back!!

16 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Let's gooo! For the first time I'm enemies with my forum family 🤣.

After tomorrow we can be friends again!

Mascot Jonathan GIF by UConn Huskies

Purdue Boilermakers Sport GIF by NCAA March MadnessMatt Painter Hug GIF by NCAA March Madness- Edey is my Homer Season 14 Hug GIF by The Simpsons, big fella will take it home. I put $50 on Purdue and I am getting 7 points. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Let's gooo! For the first time I'm enemies with my forum family 🤣.

After tomorrow we can be friends again!

Mascot Jonathan GIF by UConn Huskies

It’s all good Bro, may the best team win, they both earned the final and it is going to be a battle!!!! That being said, them Huskies getting put on a leash!!!!!!! lol

534bcac8-7251-413f-a75f-452671e5e017-Pho

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Probably so but if anyone can beat them it is Purdue because they have the Bigs (Edey) and can shoot 3's. Last season, Purdue struggled from 3.

I agree.  If Purdue players Smith, Jones, Gillis and Loyer shoot well, Purdue can win.  

• Like 2