Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Leonard to the Eagles...

Indyfan4life

On 12/8/2023 at 10:25 PM, OLD FAN MAN said:

shaq will start sunday night at middle linebacker for the eagles  per espn. what a gift ballard gave the eagles

12 hours ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

i will watch shaq play mb tonight and see if gus just used him wrong

Well I watched too. And Leonard looked like his 2023 self, IE slow and out of place . 2 tackles. I still don’t think he’ll return to All pro form. I don’t think he’ll get halfway back to that. 

as for the “gift” Ballard gave. Shaq has been outplayed by his replacement even. Twice now. That should tell you something.

and as much as I don’t like Bradley’s scheme, scheme can’t make a player faster than he physically can go, though it can mask it at times. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Well I watched too. And Leonard looked like his 2023 self, IE slow and out of place . 2 tackles. I still don’t think he’ll return to All pro form. I don’t think he’ll get halfway back to that. 

as for the “gift” Ballard gave. Shaq has been outplayed by his replacement even. Twice now. That should tell you something.

and as much as I don’t like Bradley’s scheme, scheme can’t make a player faster than he physically can go, though it can mask it at times. 

I am not sure how much Shaq can contribute for the Eagles. We will see. If I had to guess, he won't be used as an every down starter, just for breathers.

• Like 1

Unfortunately it appears Shaq’s performance has not improved in Matt Patricia’s system either.  It’s hard watching him get blown out of the play and always being a couple steps behind.  You only knew he was out there tonight because he came running into the shot as soon as the play was over.  

Maybe give it one more off season to see if his quick twitch improves but at this point he’s really starting to damage his legacy.  It’s a shame. 

Shaq either completely lost his abilities, or he came back way too early! The only question is, would another full healthy offseason help him get back into his pre-injury self? Now that he’s not a Colt anymore, I dont really care if he gets back to old Darius or not, just as long as he won’t get in the path of the Colts winning ways in the future.

35 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I have a feeling he'll be a game influencing force in the playoffs. 

That remains to be seen, he was making plays while unblocked against a subpar Giants team so I'm not ready to say that he's back to being the "Maniac" of old just yet. The Colts gave him every opportunity to demonstrate that

he could still contribute at a high level and when they saw that they had more productive players than him, I think they did him a favor by cutting him loose early enough for him to catch on with another playoff contenter this season where he wouldn't be asked to do as much as he was here, and showed that he no longer could.

• Like 2

Bottom line:   Neither Ballard, Steichen or Irsay wanted Leonard on the team anymore.   

They released Leonard so he was free to sign with any team he wanted.   So even if Philly goes on to win the Super Bowl that doesn’t mean releasing Leonard was wrong.   Colts Nation should say congratulations to Shaq and stay focused on the future of Indianapolis.  

On 12/26/2023 at 2:36 PM, Lancer1 said:

That remains to be seen, he was making plays while unblocked against a subpar Giants team so I'm not ready to say that he's back to being the "Maniac" of old just yet. The Colts gave him every opportunity to demonstrate that

he could still contribute at a high level and when they saw that they had more productive players than him, I think they did him a favor by cutting him loose early enough for him to catch on with another playoff contenter this season where he wouldn't be asked to do as much as he was here, and showed that he no longer could.

Absolutely,  I was shocked when I originally saw the article and went back and watched the game.  On every play he made he was completely untouched.  Nothing changed,  you touch Leonard he’s out of the play.  

like us all I was sad to see him go and wished him well.   Now he’s starting to wear me out.