Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Gus Bradley's scheme

bluephantom87

14 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

His system is OUTDATED for the modern passing game and I hope at seasons end other options are explored at dc. So tired of seeing top tier qbs just sit back and make timely plays against a secondary that routinely uses a SOFT zone. I don't even see stunts ran by the front four to help generate pressure by creating confusion with blocking assignments ESPECIALLY if you CHOSE to rarely blitz.

Gus is not doing this young secondary any favors either! At least let them use their size to reroute receivers instead of giving FREE releases off the line on top of giving 10 yd cushions on a regular. We STILL don't have ELITE d-ends (serviceable yes) but not good enough to pressure on a consistent basis which is fine if you get aggressive with some timely blitzes! Lastly is Cross in Bradley's doghouse or what because he can definitely help on the back end of that secondary.

Colts history shows that  whoever DC comes in the results are similar......different names....different faces....SAME Results.

That's the script. LoL

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Why don’t we let 29 and 40 get their sea legs under them before asking for the DC’s head……

But, this is typical of “fans” that overreact when the team loses……somebody is the scapegoat.

Funny how when the defense plays well no mention of how well Gus coaches….

How about the short field handed the defense on 3 of the 4 turnovers? 

They are near last in the NFL! When have they done well? Even Seattle got better when Gus left under Dan Quinn.

38 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I like the man coverage scheme much more than this soft zone coverage he employs. Problem is we need some better corners to go along with Kenny Moore and Brents to do that first. 

Agree.  I think Brents has the makings to be a good cover corner.  Need to find one more.

It's not a perfect scheme, but this is the best looking defence we've had in a long time. Need some retooling. I'd say better safeties, some starter quality depth on the dline, and fixing Leonard's contract in some way will do wonders. Leonard's contract so we can make room for more talent.  Love the guy but if he dosnt show progress by the end of season then a payout is in order somehow. 

13 hours ago, AKB said:

does anyone have a suggestion for a better defense? or we all just here to complain?

Just more flexibility really. A willingness to adjust real-time. More man coverage, more blitzing. Attack the football, take the initiative. Less of this sitting back/wait and see approach.

I hate watching opponents dink and dunk their way down field just for them to man-handled our Dline in the red zone for a rush TD. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would like to see us blitz more, that is one suggestion. 

I guarantee u this. U blitz more with this talent on the back end against good qbs and its even going to get more ugly. We can critisize Bradley all we want, but his talent doesn't allow him blitz without giving up big plays. I pounded the table for Schwartz, and he went to the Titans and then Cleveland. He  built 2 great defenses and has a history of it. Ballard has a love for this D, and I don't know why. If u were to just grade Ballard on building this defence, he gets an F and u cannot use Luck as an excuse.  Almost 8 years later and please  list the great talent he has assembled over the years on that side of the ball.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Wow 

This is of course the turnovers skewing the numbers, but I'd still like for our defense to be able to get a stop in the red zone some time this century. Say our guys had balled out and only allowed 9 points on those turnovers instead of 18, the game would've been a lot more managable and not forced Steichen's hand so much.

3 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

This is of course the turnovers skewing the numbers, but I'd still like for our defense to be able to get a stop in the red zone some time this century. Say our guys had balled out and only allowed 9 points on those turnovers instead of 18, the game would've been a lot more managable and not forced Steichen's hand so much.

They had a lot of short fields so if you look at it that way it’s not as good as it seems.

13 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

They had a lot of short fields so if you look at it that way it’s not as good as it seems.

They did, but the turnovers they got weren't returned for a TD. Our defense had a chance to make stops. If they had the game would've been very different.

5 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

They did, but the turnovers they got weren't returned for a TD. Our defense had a chance to make stops. If they had the game would've been very different.

Yes I get that my point was the low yards allowed. That is with short field because of turnovers. They barely had to drive the entire field.  So short fields  equal lower yards.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Yeah pretty much when the Jags had to go the length of the field and earn it they couldn’t.  

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Yes I get that my point was the low yards allowed. That is with short field because of turnovers. They barely had to drive the entire field.  So short fields  equal lower yards.

They also had a big lead ....

29 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

Ballard gambled not trying to get a vet in the secondary in the offseason and so far it’s failing. He also banked on Thomas still playing well and so far this season he’s showing you why he’s a 7th round pick.

I don’t get why Cross isn’t getting a chance. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, a06cc said:

Hard to play defense when the offense refuses to take points or can hardly put up points. Honestly the secondary is young. We still need an edge rusher. It also looks like we need a LB that can cover the middle of the field. 

Yup.  The best Euchre player in the world isn't got to win much when his hand is 3-suited, with no trump, a King, a Queen, and a 10.

Gus has to work with the players he's got.  And that includes rookie CB's, underwhelming Safeties, and DE's that are built more for run defense than pass rush.  He can do some things.  And some of those things are pretty good.  But he can't dominate.  Not with this roster.  All he can do is the best he can do.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Yup.  The best Euchre player in the world isn't got to win much when his hand is 3-suited, with no trump, a King, a Queen, and a 10.

Gus has to work with the players he's got.  And that includes rookie CB's, underwhelming Safeties, and DE's that are built more for run defense than pass rush.  He can do some things.  And some of those things are pretty good.  But he can't dominate.  Not with this roster.  All he can do is the best he can do.

Agreed. 

Plus guys like Buck,Grove have been banged up unfortunately.

But I 100% have had the DE convo with friends about how we have no pass rush threat and haven't had a legit one in a while. The Autry types are poor man examples.

We need another Freeney/Mathis on this line like nobody's business.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Don't like the Tampa 2 or this scheme under  Bradley. It is an issue of outdated scheme and lack of talent . The other defenses  u listed were an issue of lack of talent and not scheme design.

I loved Dungy but a lot of us weren't fans of the Cover 2.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't we one of the few times still running the cover 2 when Dungy was here? If I remember right, it was starting to be "outdated" even when Dungy was here.  I might be wrong though. 

26 minutes ago, kymd82222 said:

I loved Dungy but a lot of us weren't fans of the Cover 2.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't we one of the few times still running the cover 2 when Dungy was here? If I remember right, it was starting to be "outdated" even when Dungy was 2here.  I might be wrong though. 

Teams run it every so often snd when they have a large lead, they will run that defence. I am no football guru but even I know this although it apparently escapes Ballard. This defence under Seattle and Tampa was successful because they were loaded. Would they be successful with that talent now a days? I would guess yes, but they would have to mix it up and not play zone so much. They would probably have the talent to get away from playing so much zone, and  their weakenss would still be at corner but Thomas was an elite cover safety. I do think Sherman may be the most overrated corner to play the game. Phenomenal in that scheme, but I bet he would be average when asked to play man. The point I am getting to is this. Look at those teams and now look at the talent the Colts have amassed on this defense. It isn't even close. This team asks primarily 4 players to rush the passer. Think of Sapp, Booger, and Rice coming at u. We have Buckner!!! The issue I have with this defense is that we don't have near the front four to play it. Plus teams are getting rid of the ball fast and our linebackers and secondary are  sitting back in zones.  It is honestly doomed to fail and always will. Now, if we had Simmons, Buckner, and Sweat, we could maybe see something different. Oh, and also throw in Landry,  cause I wanted the Colts to draft all three of those guys!!!! Hey but what do I know??