Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I hope colts at least look into possibility of tampering if this is where he lands. Yes they  gave him permission but if any funny business went on before that permission was granted it’s tampering.

It depends on what we get back.  If it’s a good deal then I’d rather let it be and be done with it

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

They need to sell tickets and he and Murray together would. 

Murray won’t be a cardinal in 24. My guess is they will draft a QB and MHJ.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

This right here will show me a lot about Ballard. Time to work your magic Chris. 

Miami at least seems desperate for a star RB. 

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Murray won’t be a cardinal in 24. My guess is they will draft a QB and MHJ.

Miami at least seems desperate for a star RB. 

Interested =/= desperate.

We don't know what they've offered for JT.

23 hours ago, w87r said:

He will be happy to be anywhere else. 

The Colts are not going to take a lesser package for him from a the team that offers most $$ and least draft capital. That actually gives the Colts more leverage on the draft capital side of it. Shows the team REALLY wants Taylor. Well, pay up then, again. They will take highest package, that meets their standards, and move on. If he is moved at all.

He realizes he played this all wrong(injury angle). Now he needs to prove himself for the big pay day, he knows this too. He will get some extension offers, doubt anywhere near what he wants. He will then need to decide if he wants to take that offer or play the season out in hopes of landing bigger extension next year. Right now though just seems like he would be happy to get out of town. 

Colts are only concerned about potential compensation not his extension, unless of course it comes back at a number they would be willing to beat and he would accept.

Just think that this talk about him forcing his way to a team is overblown a little.

Clock is ticking. Should all be resolved by the end of the weekend I think. Either way.

Players usually have preferences in terms of landing spots.  And this situation in particular we have a player who is bitter so to think he will clap along with any offer that comes in, or that this is entirely on the Colts to make the decision on where to move him, is to have poor understanding of the situation.

No team ever wants to trade for a disgruntled player.  So any team trying to acquire him will need to appease not only the Colts but also the player.  Now some teams will of course be more preferred than other teams.  Imagine if you hear the Eagles and Browns are trying to trade for you, for example.  I would accept less money to play for the Eagles over the Browns.  What he prefers I don't profess to know, however I am certain he will have preferences.

The contract will affect value in trade for the Colts.  If one of the teams can get him to agree in principle to a contract both parties like, his value goes up.  If none of the teams can get him to agree in principle to a contract, his value goes down.  I have no idea what he's thinking, unlike you, but I expect there is a chance one of the teams gets him to agree in principle to something frontloaded that gives his ego an outlet.  And I hope that is the case because then we are looking at the best chance for value in return.  A happy Taylor almost surely will bring at least a round 2 pick.  Hopefully more.

It's hard to understand how we got to this point without knowing what really transpired. 

It was said Taylor first asked to renegotiate. his rookie contract, was told it wasn't going to happen.

Then he wants to be traded, Irsay stands firm. I can see both sides point. But it doesn't help when you have a owner who preaches team commitment. Unity, etc. and being too hands on as an owner, and pulls that this is a business card, and at the same time flaunts. all of his muti million-dollar purchases of music items, it doesn't send a good message to the team.  It's really a mess going into this year, this saga sounds familiar. Doesn't seem like Taylor wants to stay. hope we get something out of it.

42 minutes ago, philba101 said:

Here is my fear. The Colts ask way too much for Taylor in a trade package (a 1st rounder) and get no takers. Then the Colts decide to put him on the PUP list, or Taylor decides to sit out and not play for the Colts all year. The Colts get no benefit from their best offensive player all year and the constant saga is a huge distraction to the team. He becomes a FA in 2024 and the Colts get absolutely nothing for one of their best players. This is a worst-case scenario I understand. With no takers in the trade market, Taylor could suck it up and decide to come back and play for the Colts all year. But if he decides not to play, this would be a serious setback for the team with little to show at the end of the process. All that said, is there a player you would consider trading straight up for Jonathan Taylor?

I am not talking about Patrick Mahomes or something like that, but realistically, what player would you deal Taylor for if any?

I advocated that the Colts take a look at Austin Ekeler earlier in the summer when he was seeking a trade from the Chargers. I would trade Taylor for Ekeler at this point. There may have to be some draft picks involved as well but I would do it. Ekeler seems like he would fit Steichen's system much better than Taylor. His pass catching skills alone (104 last season) would provide a great relief valve for Richardson and would help offset the fact that the Colts don't have true #1 wide receiver. The bonus is that the guy scores TD's in bunches (38 in the last two seasons). I realize that he will be a free agent also next year but he may be worth re-signing if he works well in our system.

We could franchise tag him so the games will keep going. Like I said we hold all the leverage.

9 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Dolphins made an offer the Colts like but Chris is working the phones to try and get more.  If no other team makes a move soon then I think Chris will put it to bed and take the Miami offer.  

And you know for sure Miami has made an offer how???

They will certainly move him.  Prior to them putting him on the block I was thinking ok maybe he goes at the trade deadline, which would be smart business.  Smart because teams can be much more desperate if they consider themselves contenders and are seeking that extra piece to increase their odds.  But I was not surprised to see them elect to move him now, or at least offer him up.

If the offers are not good enough then the wise call is to hold on to him until the deadline.  At the deadline, if things get that far, I would take whatever the best offer is.

32 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I was glad Zach hicks debunked the stuff people are saying about Richardson needing Taylor. Destin Adams even goes Taylor needs Richardson more. The narrative it hurts Richardsons develop is silly.

Oh yeah, that changes everything.  I feel so much better now that Zach....Hicks? Is it?  Said AR is fine and Taylor is the one hurt here ....  great news. 

6 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Work that phone CB. Get then best deal you can. Hope there is 3 or 4 teams fighting for him. :monkeydance:

I don't think CB wants to trade him.  CB wants JT to come back and say, "Dang....Shaqarius must have had too many concussions when he told me all about his agent....this Milk Kawasaki guy is a *, best offer was 13/yr" or whatever..... Then CB says, cool....heal, play well, and well pay maybe up to 13.5 or even more with mega incentives....

Just now, AKB said:

At this point I'm excited to see what Evan hull can do. Let's just move on. Tired of this by now 

Hull can probably do a good N. Hines impression.... That's his niche.

18 minutes ago, w87r said:

He can take less money(to be expected), but we're still wanting our compensation to be high.

Yep, we need to get as much as we can, if the deal isn't good, don't trade him.

1 minute ago, AKB said:

At this point I'm excited to see what Evan hull can do. Let's just move on. Tired of this by now 

Patience. We have a chance to get good compensation here. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jackie Daytona said:

I don't think CB wants to trade him.  CB wants JT to come back and say, "Dang....Shaqarius must have had too many concussions when he told me all about his agent....this Milk Kawasaki guy is a *, best offer was 13/yr" or whatever..... Then CB says, cool....heal, play well, and well pay maybe up to 13.5 or even more with mega incentives....

Hull can probably do a good N. Hines impression.... That's his niche.

I think his between the tackles ceiling is higher tho. By a good margin 

• Like 2