Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

9 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Something the media has missed with Taylor is no one has asked why after all these months is Taylor not healthy. What was the setback ect? 

The media hasn’t missed it.   Some things are said on the record.   Some things are said off the record.  There’s also a right time and a wrong time.    

No reporter wants to be the guy to ask the question that makes Taylor blow up just when things have been calming down for weeks.    When JT is ready to talk publicly and take tough questions, he and his agent will say so.   Just like the team will talk when they’ve got a statement to make somewhere around cut down day.  +/-.

Hopefully, when those comments come they will be positive and not negative. 

What you want is coming soon enough.   The media hasn’t missed it.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Maybe… IF he’s healthy which I have serious doubts about

I tend to think he is healthy, and I also think he is going to be forced to prove that running the ball for the Colts this year.  

If not, we should never touch him with a 10 foot pole as far as another contract goes IMO.  If he ain't healthy yet from that procedure he had, by all medical accounts I've seen, it's not good.  That was supposed to be simple. 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The media hasn’t missed it.   Some things are said on the record.   Some things are said off the record.  There’s also a right time and a wrong time.    

No reporter wants to be the guy to ask the question that makes Taylor blow up just when things have been calming down for weeks.    When JT is ready to talk publicly and take tough questions, he and his agent will say so.   Just like the team will talk when they’ve got a statement to make somewhere around cut down day.  +/-.

Yeah trust me, that ain't it.  You think Doyell is the only one who would light that powder keg?  Even if the only one, you think he's one to have his trap kept shut by advice from anyone?  Lol....  He's been quiet, (Doyell) but it's not because he's cautious about causing problems.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't know if I understand your point. No one has interviewed Taylor since camp started, he's not available for media because he's on PUP. But why couldn't someone have asked Steichen a specific question about Taylor's recovery? During one of the dozen-plus pressers Steichen has done during camp, no one could have asked a follow up?

'When he had ankle surgery, wasn't the expectation that he would have a 4-6 week recovery? Irsay said he expected Taylor to be ready to go, and Ballard didn't expect him to be on PUP. What happened to cause his recovery to take this long?' 

I don't know if Steichen would have answered the question. In fact, I'd think he probably wouldn't. But it still could have (should have?) been asked, at least once.

In 2019, almost every question was about Luck's ankle. They had Ballard on the podium talking about Os trigonum syndrome... All that was over the top, and I'm not asking for that level of obsession. But unless I've missed it, no one has the HC who talks every day asked a simple, direct question about why a "routine procedure" is still affecting a world class athlete months after he should have been ready to roll.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't know if I understand your point. No one has interviewed Taylor since camp started, he's not available for media because he's on PUP. But why couldn't someone have asked Steichen a specific question about Taylor's recovery? During one of the dozen-plus pressers Steichen has done during camp, no one could have asked a follow up?

'When he had ankle surgery, wasn't the expectation that he would have a 4-6 week recovery? Irsay said he expected Taylor to be ready to go, and Ballard didn't expect him to be on PUP. What happened to cause his recovery to take this long?' 

I don't know if Steichen would have answered the question. In fact, I'd think he probably wouldn't. But it still could have (should have?) been asked, at least once.

In 2019, almost every question was about Luck's ankle. They had Ballard on the podium talking about Os trigonum syndrome... All that was over the top, and I'm not asking for that level of obsession. But unless I've missed it, no one has the HC who talks every day asked a simple, direct question about why a "routine procedure" is still affecting a world class athlete months after he should have been ready to roll.

I don't follow media pretty much at all.  Colts.com is pretty much my clearing house for all things Colts.  I am not into talking heads at all anymore.

But are you saying, no one ever asked SS about it?  That seems odd, conspiratorial, and pretty much a dereliction of media duty.

I "figured" the question was asked and met by no comment type of responses and the media realized it was a futile endeavor.

Has this question never been publicly asked to CB, SS, or JI?  That's pretty sad actually if it hasn't.  I think media is ugly at times, but ugliness is sometimes their job and if no one has asked this obvious question, then something is wrong or someone's getting paid.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I don't follow media pretty much at all.  Colts.com is pretty much my clearing house for all things Colts.  I am not into talking heads at all anymore.

But are you saying, no one every asked SS about it?  That seems odd, conspiratorial, and pretty much a dereliction of media duty.

I "figured" the question was asked and met by no comment type of responses and the media realized it was a futile.

Has this question never been publicly asked to CB, SS, or JI?  That's pretty sad actually if it hasn't.  I think media is ugly at times, but ugliness is sometimes their job and if no one has asked this obvious question, then something is wrong or someone's getting paid.

Yeah no one has asked him what was the set back or why he isn’t recovered.

Bsllard is supposed to do one last presser before the season. I think after the last preseason game. 

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Yeah no one has asked him what was the set back or why he isn’t recovered.

Bsllard is supposed to do one last presser before the season. I think after the last preseason game. 

Wow.  That's ridiculous.  I get not beating people over the head, but someone should ask that directly.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nickster said:

But are you saying, no one every asked SS about it?  That seems odd, conspiratorial, and pretty much a dereliction of media duty.

I "figured" the question was asked and met by no comment type of responses and the media realized it was a futile.

To my knowledge, it has not been asked. I haven't watched every Steichen presser, so I could have missed it, but I would think it would have gotten some traction. Early on they tried asking him about the contract situation, and he shut that down. I don't think anyone asked about the recovery. If I'm wrong, my bad.

Ballard hasn't done a presser since the first day of camp. When he last spoke, he didn't include Taylor among the players he thought could go on PUP, so things have changed since then. I think he's doing one at some point after the last preseason game. 

Irsay hasn't done a presser in a while. Maybe took some drive-by questions after Taylor's trade request became public knowledge. He was in the booth for the third quarter of the second preseason game. I wasn't expecting hard hitting questions in that environment, though. And Venturi can't find a coherent question to save his life anyway... 

I'm not calling it 'dereliction of duty' yet. But I'm generally not impressed with Colts reporters anyways. I think their questions are self-serving and agenda-based, rather than insightful. I'm not a fan of what Doyel does, either. But someone could ask a direct question and let the team's response speak for itself, yet they haven't. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

The difference between the Luck situation and HT’s, is Taylor’s is a contract situation.  And it’s been cooling off for a few weeks.  

Both sides have gone to neutral corners for this extended time.   I guess at some point you begin to wonder what’s the point in asking a question that Steichen clearly doesn’t want when the odds are all he’s going to say is….  “I’ve said all I’m gonna to say about Jonathan Taylor.  I’ll address his situation only when the Colts have something to say.” 

The questions you want asked are loaded and don’t advance the cause of peace right now.   They’ll be appropriate someday soon, my guess is somewhere around cutdown week. 

• Like 1

Just now, Superman said:

I'm not calling it 'dereliction of duty' yet. But I'm generally not impressed with Colts reporters anyways. I think their questions are self-serving and agenda-based, rather than insightful. I'm not a fan of what Doyel does, either. But someone could ask a direct question and let the team's response speak for itself, yet they haven't. 

Nothing is important in Grand Scheme I guess since the Sun will envelop the Earth in 5 billion years.  But theoretical philosophy aside, what could be a more relevant question to ask a Colts' reporter right now?

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The difference between the Luck situation and HT’s, is Taylor’s is a contract situation.  And it’s been cooling off for a few weeks.  

Both sides have gone to neutral corners for this extended time.   I guess at some point you begin to wonder what’s the point in asking a question that Steichen clearly doesn’t want when the odds are all he’s going to say is….  “I’ve said all I’m gonna to say about Jonathan Taylor.  I’ll address his situation only when the Colts have something to say.” 

The questions you want asked are loaded and don’t advance the cause of peace right now.   They’ll be appropriate someday soon, my guess is somewhere around cutdown week. 

NCF, I think the question should be asked a couple of times.

If not, what is the media for?  To me it is to inform people who are interested in Colts FB who all want to hear an answer to this seemingly obvious question. 

17 minutes ago, Superman said:

Someone tried a couple weeks back and Shane shut it down, said he’d only answer practice questions. 

To my knowledge, it has not been asked. I haven't watched every Steichen presser, so I could have missed it, but I would think it would have gotten some traction. Early on they tried asking him about the contract situation, and he shut that down. I don't think anyone asked about the recovery. If I'm wrong, my bad.

Ballard hasn't done a presser since the first day of camp. When he last spoke, he didn't include Taylor among the players he thought could go on PUP, so things have changed since then. I think he's doing one at some point after the last preseason game. 

Irsay hasn't done a presser in a while. Maybe took some drive-by questions after Taylor's trade request became public knowledge. He was in the booth for the third quarter of the second preseason game. I wasn't expecting hard hitting questions in that environment, though. And Venturi can't find a coherent question to save his life anyway... 

Ballard did an interview just a week ago. 

45 minutes ago, Jackie Daytona said:

Yeah trust me, that ain't it.  You think Doyell is the only one who would light that powder keg?  Even if the only one, you think he's one to have his trap kept shut by advice from anyone?  Lol....  He's been quiet, (Doyell) but it's not because he's cautious about causing problems.

He’s quiet right now, because, as I said, no one is talking right.   Not JT or his agent.  Not anyone from the Colts.   Both sides are at neutral corners.   Thus won’t always be the case, it could change in an instant based on something behind the scenes.  

But there is probably another 7-14 days before this will come to a head.   People here seem very unhappy they have to wait.  

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't agree with not asking a question because you don't expect the person to give a direct answer. If you ask and he doesn't give a direct answer, that says volumes already. I think the job is to ask, and let the answer be what it is.

As someone with a media history, do you really think the job of the media is to advance the cause of peace between two opposing parties? Isn't the media's job to cover situation as it is? Like you say, if Steichen needs to tread carefully, he knows how to do so; in fact, he has zero problem shutting down a question he doesn't like. That's his responsibility to handle. 

I also don't see the questions as loaded. Sure, the situation is somewhat highly charged, but that makes the question that much more important. I don't want anyone to badger the coach, I generally can't stand obviously rephrased and repeated questions when the subject has already declined to answer. But asking a direct question -- especially about the second most important topic surrounding the Colts right now -- seems like basic duty to me.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

They are telling us Taylor isn’t healthy. So the question should of been asked. Ignoring it is really bad by the media.

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Someone tried a couple weeks back and Shane shut it down, said he’d only answer practice questions. 

And I think that that is the point here; you're not going to get anywhere so why bother asking?  We all want the inside scoop, but the team is limited as to what they can say, so JT is the one we have to hear from.  Until he's ready to talk we're all left waiting.

6 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Could you point me to the day? 

I think I remember someone asking him when he expected Taylor to start practicing. I don't remember anyone asking why the recovery has taken so much longer than expected.

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Ballard did an interview just a week ago. 

A radio interview with a national show is not the same as a presser with Colts reporters. I would expect the people who report on the team every day to ask the insightful questions about the most important topics. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

But there is probably another 7-14 days before this will come to a head.   People here seem very unhappy they have to wait.  

To be clear, I'm fine with waiting. Deadlines spur action, I understand that. Once it became obvious early on that the Colts weren't making an offer before Taylor can play at a high level, I knew this would take a while. And I'm not upset with Taylor, either; some are, I'm not. I think he's misplayed his hand, but ultimately the only thing that really matters is how he performs on the field.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

Could you point me to the day? 

I think I remember someone asking him when he expected Taylor to start practicing. I don't remember anyone asking why the recovery has taken so much longer than expected.

A radio interview with a national show is not the same as a presser with Colts reporters. I would expect the people who report on the team every day to ask the insightful questions about the most important topics. 

I think someone asked what the Taylor injury is and he said "ankle" but not sure if any of them actually did a solid follow up about why is the ankle that was supposed to be healed 6 months ago still a problem... and to be honest - I don't expect Steichen to actually answer that question(not a legit reason not to ask it, though).

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Nickster said:

But theoretical philosophy aside, what could be a more relevant question to ask a Colts' reporter right now?

On the same page. I think a really good reporter would have asked Ballard in his pre-camp presser, at the very latest. They even could have asked Taylor when he was still doing media during minicamp. 

• Like 1

Just now, Superman said:

On the same page. I think a really good reporter would have asked Ballard in his pre-camp presser, at the very latest. They even could have asked Taylor when he was still doing media during minicamp. 

Absolutely. It's not like it's an irrelevant or outlandish question to ask... 

We were told Taylor would be ready to roll day 1 of camp. And then suddenly he was injured...  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, csmopar said:

That's what I figured should have happened.

12 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't agree with not asking a question because you don't expect the person to give a direct answer. If you ask and he doesn't give a direct answer, that says volumes already. I think the job is to ask, and let the answer be what it is.

This to me is the real point of media.  The rest is entertainment. 

2 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

We were told Taylor would be ready to roll day 1 of camp. And then suddenly he was injured...  

Agree with sentence one.  Ship has sailed for sentence two, but it is the truth.

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

Go back to 2017, Doyel is randomly asking Pagano if Andrew Luck is in the state. Today, it's off limits to ask why Taylor is still unable to practice seven months after a routine procedure? 

Did he have a setback? Was there another procedure more recently? These are obvious things to wonder in this situation. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, stitches said:

and to be honest - I don't expect Steichen to actually answer that question(not a legit reason not to ask it, though).

I'm 99% certain he wouldn't have answered it. He's already shown a willingness to shut down legitimate lines of questioning, which annoys me, but that's his right. 

• Like 1

I'm looking for the last interviews with Taylor I can find before he stopped talking/contract dispute started... 

April(a question about the contract... then a question about the surgery, gets asked if he's good to go to do everything... says "not everything right now, but ... we rolling"(seems like he's suggesting everything is going really well in his recovery):

June 14(nothing about the injury... some about running back value in the league - "it's on them(the Colts) right now" about new contract)... this is on the media - how the hell do you not ask about his injury here ???: 

• Like 2

Just now, Superman said:

As someone with a media history, do you really think the job of the media is to advance the cause of peace between two opposing parties? Isn't the media's job to cover situation as it is? Like you say, if Steichen needs to tread carefully, he knows how to do so; in fact, he has zero problem shutting down a question he doesn't like. That's his responsibility to handle. 

I also don't see the questions as loaded. Sure, the situation is somewhat highly charged, but that makes the question that much more important. I don't want anyone to badger the coach, I generally can't stand obviously rephrased and repeated questions when the subject has already declined to answer. But asking a direct question -- especially about the second most important topic surrounding the Colts right now -- seems like basic duty to me.

Let’s be more direct.   What’s upsetting you must is you want answers NOW.   And if you can’t get those answers NOW then you want the media to pressure Steichen to at least address the question.   And for what?   To get him to say “I’ve got nothing else to say about Jonathan Taylor.”   What good was done here?   

You don’t think your question was loaded? 

Why a world class athlete who has routine  procedure isn’t ready to roll months later?

That isn’t loaded?

That question is designed to get an explosive answer that no one is ready to answer right now.   It’s a perfectly fair question at the presser announcing the Colts have traded Taylor,  or the Colts have signed Taylor,  or the Colts and Taylor have reached a compromise.   But now?    It serves no purpose except to pour gasoline on a fire that been mostly snuffed out.  

As far as the media….  It’s easy to for you and others to cry out for what you want (info) and when you want it (right now).  It’s another if you cover the Colts for 24/7/365.   You have to work along side  Steichen and his staff, Ballard and his staff.   It helps to have a decent working relationship.   You have to pick and choose your battles.   The job involves asking tough fair questions.  Why waste them when you know you’re not going to get a meaningful answer and only annoy people that someday may decide to give you good info off the record.   There’s a symbiotic relationship involved here to a degree. 

I’m not sure I’ve answered your questions, but this is my initial response.   Follow up if you need.  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

They are telling us Taylor isn’t healthy. So the question should of been asked. Ignoring it is really bad by the media.

They ask about updates on JT all the time.   BUT Steichen gives a very limited answer.  The media is NOT ignoring it. 

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Let’s be more direct.   What’s upsetting you must is you want answers NOW.   And if you can’t get those answers NOW then you want the media to pressure Steichen to at least address the question.   And for what?   To get him to say “I’ve got nothing else to say about Jonathan Taylor.”   What good was done here?

Because that is the media's job.  It has nothing to do with want IMO and I'm guessing Supe feels the same.  

It's the job of the media to ask those questions.  If not they are pretty much worthless.  

If there is no response, then fine.  But if the media is nothing more than a corporate shill then they should be paid as public relations agents for that corporation IMO.

Don't you agree with that NCF?  

Pure journalism is on life support, but is it completely dead?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

They ask about updates on JT all the time.   BUT Steichen gives a very limited answer.  The media is NOT ignoring it. 

They are not ignoring it, but it's almost like... they are asking some questions by default... just to say they asked something. None of them has asked the question why is an injury that was supposed to be healed months ago, still a problem? or any similar pointed question... 

8 minutes ago, stitches said:

They are not ignoring it, but it's almost like... they are asking some questions by default... just to say they asked something. None of them has asked the question why is an injury that was supposed to be healed months ago, still a problem? or any similar pointed question... 

All I can think of is that there is a gentleman's agreement at the moment between the team and the reporters to just leave it alone. Maybe the team made an off the record comment that anything regarding Taylor would be told at the start of press conferences, and if nothing is said then nothing is new? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Looks like the running backs are not getting what they want. This is good news for Taylor to return.

There’s a huge difference between one team resisting a certain price point for a position and all 32 teams doing it.  There’s just not much players can do about the latter case - which is what we’re seeing here.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Why a world class athlete who has routine  procedure isn’t ready to roll months later?

That isn’t loaded?

That question is designed to get an explosive answer that no one is ready to answer right now.   It’s a perfectly fair question at the presser announcing the Colts have traded Taylor,  or the Colts have signed Taylor,  or the Colts and Taylor have reached a compromise.   But now?    It serves no purpose except to pour gasoline on a fire that been mostly snuffed out.  

As far as the media….  It’s easy to for you and others to cry out for what you want (info) and when you want it (right now).  It’s another if you cover the Colts for 24/7/365.   You have to work along side  Steichen and his staff, Ballard and his staff.   It helps to have a decent working relationship.   You have to pick and choose your battles.   The job involves asking tough fair questions.  Why waste them when you know you’re not going to get a meaningful answer and only annoy people that someday may decide to give you good info off the record.   There’s a symbiotic relationship involved here to a degree. 

I’m not sure I’ve answered your questions, but this is my initial response.   Follow up if you need.  

The question is designed to get at the truth of what's happening. Isn't that job #1 for the media?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Because that is the media's job.  It has nothing to do with want IMO and I'm guessing Supe feels the same.  

It's the job of the media to ask those questions.  If not they are pretty much worthless.  

The media asks Steichen about Taylor at every media availability.   He gives a very limited answer to a simple basic question.  But you and Supe think they should ask far more detailed questions.   The problem is the Colts have made it clear they have zero interest in that kind of question right now. 

To ask that question every day is, in essence, picking a public fight with the Colts.   The media becoming the issue is rarely a good look.   We cover the news, we don’t want to become the news.  

And this debate is over the timing.   The Colts, JT and his agent will answer your questions in roughly 7-14 days.   Maybe not at one presser.   Perhaps over several days as new info becomes known.   But it appears it won’t be today and things here have come to a head over it.   

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

No, I'm not upset about not having answers now. Some might be. I think I have a pretty good handle on what's going on, and why. And I think I know how things will play out, more or less. The way the media handles pressers won't change the timeline or the outcome.

My issue is more that I don't think Colts reporters do a good job at pressers in general. I've been saying this for years, by the way.

That isn’t loaded?

To clarify, that's not the question I would want them to ask. I put my prospective question in quotes in that earlier post. But the bolded is the reason the question is relevant, and should have been asked.

This should have been asked as soon as possible after Taylor went on PUP: 'When he had ankle surgery, wasn't the expectation that he would have a 4-6 week recovery? Irsay said he expected Taylor to be ready to go, and Ballard didn't expect him to be on PUP. What happened to cause his recovery to take this long?'

This is the question, and I don't think it's loaded, nor is it designed to get an explosive answer. You ask insightful questions to gain insight, and in a lot of cases, you gain insight even if the question doesn't get answered. Steichen could have shut it down if he wanted to avoid pouring gas on the fire; that his responsibility. The media is responsible for asking the questions; they are not responsible for the answers, or for the fallout from those answers.

I understand that there are behind the scenes factors to consider, and I appreciate them. But if a room full of reporters won't once ask a simple, direct question about the second biggest question surrounding the team (and the first question was answered when they named Richardson the starting QB, so this is now the biggest question surrounding the team) because they don't want to annoy the coach, then this is all just theatre. 

If Steichen says 'I'm not going to talk about that...' I don't want them to ask again, then rephrase and ask again, and then ask in Pig Latin, and then sneak in the back door and ask again. But they should have asked once.

I think it's a fair question, and an important question. Again, I'm not crying out for info because I want it right now, and that's not a fair categorization of my stance here. I'm saying that I believe it's the media's responsibility to ask fair, important questions, and let the person who is being asked the question bear the responsibility of deciding whether to answer, and how. Instead, they've let the team off the hook by neglecting to ask the question in the first place. 

• Like 1