Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

44 minutes ago, teganslaw said:

JT's agent doesn't think that the situation can be fixed. Maybe he will end up testing the free agent market, after all. I'm not confident that Taylor will remain in Indy. 

He will end up taking less money somewhere because he will begrudge Indy. I hope he doesn't become LeVeon Bell. If I were him I would try to sign with a team that is in a 🏆 position and will pay him 8 to 11mil over fighting for a bigger payday.

1 hour ago, KB said:

This guy is shooting himself in the foot. Way to let every organization know that deals should not be done with you at the table.

Yep unless something crazy happened behind closed doors, why are you taking it to this level so early in contract negotiations (assuming they just started having talks this off-season).  Dont burn a bridge before even walking across it

2 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Me neither.  And I believe we both agree IIRC that tactics when fighting for NFL dollars are usually just that.  Tactics.

and I also happen to agree with what the agent said in 2012

Tactics are usually just tactics. This agent seems to have particular beef with Irsay, going back a while, so maybe it's more than that. And Irsay calling out "agents" in his tweet now seems more pointed to me than it did before I knew there was history with this guy. I'd wonder if the well is poisoned, except apparently this guy also reps Shaq Leonard, and that contract got done quietly.

I'm looking the dude up now. He's only been certified since 2014, so I don't know what the issue would have been in 2012. Apparently wasn't part of a contract negotiation, though, so just ill will? He doesn't represent any other Colts players, per Spotrac. JT, Shaq, and Tytus Howard (Texans) are apparently his biggest clients.

Could be getting ugly...

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Tactics are usually just tactics. This agent seems to have particular beef with Irsay, going back a while, so maybe it's more than that. And Irsay calling out "agents" in his tweet now seems more pointed to me than it did before I knew there was history with this guy. I'd wonder if the well is poisoned, except apparently this guy also reps Shaq Leonard, and that contract got done quietly.

I'm looking the dude up now. He's only been certified since 2014, so I don't know what the issue would have been in 2012. Apparently wasn't part of a contract negotiation, though, so just ill will? He doesn't represent any other Colts players, per Spotrac. JT, Shaq, and Tytus Howard (Texans) are apparently his biggest clients.

Could be getting ugly...

Our owner tweets impulsively like a 12 yearold.  Been saying it for years.

Regardless of the past tweet I don’t think the agent is doing anything without weighing what he believes what will be in the best monetary interest of himself which would be to get JT the biggest deal possible.

Whether or not it works is TBD.

You do agree that JT could mend the fence with one simple tweet though don’t you?  ala I do not agree with what my agent said about Mr. Irsay in 2012.

• Like 1

Just now, Superman said:

Not usually about sensitive contract negotiations.

Do you recall the last contentious negotiation?  I can’t come up with anything.  We have been throwing money ay our players for a long time now.

Just now, Nickster said:

Do you recall the last contentious negotiation?  I can’t come up with anything.  We have been throwing money ay our players for a long time now.

You're on the record about not liking our roster composition or cap allocation, but I don't think we've been throwing money at players. Truth is, we haven't drafted very well in a long time. We don't have back to back great draft classes that really addressed the biggest positions in today's game. We've generally kept our best players, and that goes back to Polian. I haven't liked every contract -- the JB deal was really bad -- but I don't think we've been wasteful. I think we need to draft better, especially at WR and Edge.

But to answer your question, wouldn't Kenny Moore qualify? Irsay didn't make any noise with that, Twitter or otherwise.

35 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Yes they have been asking to redo the cba. One of things that has come up is letting running backs get paid sooner. This is what irsays tweet was all about.

That was one RB. Najee Harris 

51 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

No matter what the RBs want they are under the collective bargaining agreement that they and their fellow players negotiated and voted on. 

And at that time, RBs got paid. Zeke, Gurley, Henry, Cmac, and Chubb. What happened in three years for RBs to get devalued 

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Which was the point of irsays tweet.

Ok. That wasn't the majority of RBs that said that.

11 minutes ago, Superman said:

You're on the record about not liking our roster composition or cap allocation, but I don't think we've been throwing money at players. Truth is, we haven't drafted very well in a long time. We don't have back to back great draft classes that really addressed the biggest positions in today's game. We've generally kept our best players, and that goes back to Polian. I haven't liked every contract -- the JB deal was really bad -- but I don't think we've been wasteful. I think we need to draft better, especially at WR and Edge.

But to answer your question, wouldn't Kenny Moore qualify? Irsay didn't make any noise with that, Twitter or otherwise.

I agree we need to draft better since the draft is ballards main method of roster building

23 minutes ago, CR91 said:

And at that time, RBs got paid. Zeke, Gurley, Henry, Cmac, and Chubb. What happened in three years for RBs to get devalued 

Ok. That wasn't the majority of RBs that said that.

What happened? RBs are not needed because of the changes in offensive philosophy.  RB by committee has made paying one RB obsolete. Why should any team wrap up a huge contract for a position that is injury  prone?

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

What happened? RBs are not needed because of the changes in offensive philosophy.  RB by committee has made paying one RB obsolete. Why should any team wrap up a huge contract for a position that is injury  prone?

Every position is injury prone 

19 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I don’t believe this. Running backs are needed. The problem is they usually hit a wall when second contract comes up. That’s why teams don’t want to pay them big dollars.

9 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Every position is injury prone 

I wouldn't say QB, K, and P are. There are positions that get hurt more than others, and the RB is physically running through D-Lineman every time he runs the ball. He also touches the ball around 15-20 times a game (if he's a pass-catching rb).

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I think we threw money at Shaq, Q, and Smith IMO.

I forgot about Moore.    But we haven’t had much of this that I can recall.

58 minutes ago, CR91 said:

this is easy .  Teams realized that big money RB deals were bad investments.

15 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I wouldn't say QB, K, and P are. There are positions that get hurt more than others, and the RB is physically running through D-Lineman every time he runs the ball. He also touches the ball around 15-20 times a game (if he's a pass-catching rb).

Players get hurt without contact. Football is a 100 percent injury sport no matter position you play.

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

They are some of the best rbs in the league, but they make little difference in making the playoffs or winning the SB for the most part. 

And that's their fault why? Are they playing with a top QB to help relieve some of the attention they get from opposing defenses?

Just now, CR91 said:

Players get hurt without contact. Football is a 100 percent injury sport no matter position you play.

Of course, but there's contact and non-contact injuries. Generally the 3 positions I mentioned rarely get injured due to contact. RBs can get contact and non-contact injuries easier, especially when they are running with the football at full speed lol.

Just now, CR91 said:

And that's their fault why? Are they playing with a top QB to help relieve some of the attention they get from opposing defenses?

Not their fault, that's just the way it is. Only thing you can do is play a different position. Just a simple fact that it's a passing league now, and the pay scale has adjusted to that fact.

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

Of course, but there's contact and non-contact injuries. Generally the 3 positions I mentioned rarely get injured due to contact. RBs can get contact and non-contact injuries easier, especially when they are running with the football at full speed lol.

Ok. Is it really a big investment giving a RB 13-14 mil compared to say WRs who are making 20+

Just now, CR91 said:

Ok. Is it really a big investment giving a RB 13-14 mil compared to say WRs who are making 20+

I don't prefer to pay a WR that much, but for a no1 WR, then yes, he's worth it. An example is Tyreek Hill. He helped win Mahomes the SB and was a great no1 option. He's making Tua look great as well when he plays. 

If Pittman helped Richardson be a top QB in the NFL, then yes, he deserves 20 million. RBs can be drafted every year in the mid-rounds, and can be replaced after their rookie contract. I would honestly draft one every year for competitions sake.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

No matter what the RBs want they are under the collective bargaining agreement that they and their fellow players negotiated and voted on. 

Yep. That was essentially Irsay’s point.  You agreed to this now live by it.

14 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I don't prefer to pay a WR that much, but for a no1 WR, then yes, he's worth it. An example is Tyreek Hill. He helped win Mahomes the SB and was a great no1 option. He's making Tua look great as well when he plays. 

If Pittman helped Richardson be a top QB in the NFL, then yes, he deserves 20 million. RBs can be drafted every year in the mid-rounds, and can be replaced after their rookie contract. I would honestly draft one every year for competitions sake.

You realize if this tread continues, no one is going to want to play RB.

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

I get it, but do you expect Ballard to pay him above market value? If he does, then it sets a precedent for all RBs to get more. No GM or owner really wants to be the one responsible for doing it. Barkley gave in already, and that's going to hurt their leverage.

1 hour ago, AKB said:

this is the result of the NFL creating rules that favor the passing game.

100% accurate.

You have justin herbert who's never won a playoff game sign a deal for 252M.

You have a decent not great LT in NY sign a contract for 117M for 5 years. How does Barkley feel about that?

You have premier WRs now pulling down 25m per year typically. 

You have Diggs the cb in Dallas signing a deal for 97M.

That money has to come from somewhere.  

My fellow Colts fans, the game is changing and we must have the courage to change with it.

Cincinnati, KC, and the Bills are explosive offenses that can put up alot of points in a hurry. 

We have to get away from the ground and pound, 3 yards and a cloud of dust mentality.

Otherwise we'll never beat those teams

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

So many people want to play in the NFL.  RB is a glamour position in high school.  There will still be people lining up to be paid millions in the NFL at the RB position.

Just not a premium position anymore.  Times have changed.  Doesn’t help many premium RB contracts have looked awful fast.  Gurley.  Le’Veon.  Could even say CMC who for the team that signed him, watched him not play at all for two years and then traded him.  Though CMC’s value is also he’s elite at catching the ball.  Boosts his value over the typical RB.  Zeke was washed pretty quickly too.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, CR91 said:

I feel like the biggest problem is not the market, but the franchise tag. Why are teams allowed to tag a player multiple times? I feel like the tag should be used to give both parties more time to come to an agreement on an extension not string along the player until they lose their chance to get paid. 

I agree with you and think that a team should only be allowed to franchise tag a player for once, not multiple times.  The question is why did the players ever agree to this? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the most recent CBA what allows teams to franchise tag a player multiple times? All of the players, not just RBs, need to get on the same page during the next CBA negotiations and have the franchise tag only be allowed as a one time thing. 

2 hours ago, Superman said:

I think that’s because Ballard, not Irsay, negotiates the contracts.  Don’t get me wrong clearly Irsay has to sign off on it but he’s not hammering out the details.  Sometimes in negotiations even if two parties don’t like each other removing one of them and replacing them with another voice can still get a deal done.

Also while the agent might not like Irsay he still has to represent his client and if his client is saying this is where I want to be the agent is supposed to respect those wishes even if it’s not his personal choice.  Don’t get me wrong an agent can have a lot of sway over where a guy wants to be but at the end of the day he still should do what his client wants or his client will replace him with someone who will.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Could be getting ugly...

Could be but I am still urge people to just wait it out and see what happens before jumping to conclusions.  

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

I mean any position can be injury prone because guys get hurt at all positions.  I think most people look at specific players and say if they are injury prone or not.  I think the point you are trying to make is that running backs just don’t last long enough to make a second big contract worth it because they are reaching the end of their careers sooner than other positions.  I don’t think that’s injury prone per say that’s just your body wearing out but maybe that’s just me.

7 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I think making 9 or 10 million a year will still intrigue some players

Not if you can make 15 to 20 million playing linebacker and have a longer career to make more money.  Some people have already been talking about this that kids that would be running backs are moving to linebacker in high school and college for this very reason.

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Not if you can make 15 to 20 million playing linebacker and have a longer career to make more money.  Some people have already been talking about this that kids that would be running backs are moving to linebacker in high school and college for this very reason.

Then some other kid will play running back.   The odds of making it to the NFL at any position is very low.   I don't know how high school ball works now days.   When I played,  you played where you were told to play