Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

I love JT and thought he deserved to get paid market value which isn’t Mcaffrey or Kalmara money. It’s more Henry/Chubb money. ~12 million per year. If that’s not satisfactory then so be it. Trade him for some picks and move on. 

I’ve completely turned on this entire situation. I want JT to stay and return to form but ultimately, this team could spend 12 million elsewhere pretty easily. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I hope that a mutually acceptable agreement can be reached between the Colts and Jonathan Taylor. Taylor seems like a good person with lots of talent. However, with what I've heard about some of the personalities involved, I'm not very optimistic.

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

One thing we all can agree on, is JT's agent is a putz  lmao .

Don’t agree at all necessarily.  He may be a putz I don’t know the dude but he has a specific job to do.

Agents are voluntarily paid by athletes to represent said athletes.  Athletes can control how they are represented if they choose to.

if you think that JTs agent is being a putz then logically that would point in the direction of JT being a putz since he chooses who and how he’s represented.

his agents tweets are essentially JTs tweets when it comes to Colt/JT communiques.  JT. Could with a few thumb movements tweet a denunciation of any of his agents tweets 

unless JT is some weak minded door mat that is.  Don’t know him but he doesn’t seem that way on TV.

And BTW.  I have no concern or disdain for athletes and their agents fighting for dollars in any manner they see fit.  Same with the org allocating the scarce resources o v the NFL cap.  Business in business.  Not judging Taylor, his agent, or JI and the FO.  Just doing business which can and often does get muddy.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

So apparently this agent and Irsay have some kind of history that goes clear back to 2012 lol.

This guy is shooting himself in the foot. Way to let every organization know that deals should not be done with you at the table.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, w87r said:

On another point.

Other position groups are not going to agree on RBs getting special privileges. (If they tried to ratify the CBA)

Well if the NFL is truly a brotherhood, they would care about their teammates getting underpaid due to their position. 

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Field Yates had a great video today why they would never give RB special rights. Because then it trickles down and every position wants  that privilege.

What other position is getting basically discriminated?

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Here is the video. But if they let RB get paid after a year or two then tight ends would want that too.  They are not getting discriminated against. The facts are running backs lost their value after their initial contracts are up. They are typically better on their rookie deals. With a few exceptions.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Gunners on punts and kicks,  those guys get the dog crap beat out of e them.  

all practice squad tackling dummies who get their brains beat in for a pittance.

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Here is the video. But if they let RB get paid after a year or two then tight ends would want that too.  They are not getting discriminated against. The facts are running backs lost their value after their initial contracts are up. They are typically better on their rookie deals. With a few exceptions.

Kelce, Andrews, Kettle, and Waller all got huge pay days. That's a bad example. RB value yes do go down after their rookie contracts, but that doesn't mean giving them 13-14 mil is a huge investment.

1 minute ago, Nickster said:

Gunners on punts and kicks,  those guys get the dog crap beat out of e them.  

all practice squad tackling dummies who get their brains beat in for a quittance.

Their on the field for a fraction to RBs. Bad example 

• Like 1

Just now, CR91 said:

Kelce, Andrews, Kettle, and Waller all got huge pay days. That's a bad example. RB value yes do go down after their rookie contracts, but that doesn't mean giving them 13-14 mil is a huge investment.

Their on the field for fraction to RBs. Bad example 

What about p squad?

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

Their on the field for fraction to RBs. Bad example 

Those guys are not running backs. You are right 13-14 is not that much.

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Those guys are not running backs. You are right 13-14 is not that much.

You said TEs

What about p squad?

Their not playing. Again bad example 

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

They’re on the field for fraction to RBs. Bad example 

Maybe RBs should pick a different more valued position.  Their labor just isn’t as scarce as other positions.  I know a lot of people don’t want to accept that but that doesn’t change the fact that the entire league knows it as the market has clearly revealed beyond a reasonable doubt.

4 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Maybe RBs should pick a different more valued position.  Their labor just isn’t as scarce as other positions.  I know a lot of people don’t want to accept that but that doesn’t change the fact that the entire league knows it as the market has clearly revealed beyond a reasonable doubt.

So you're saying to abandon the position all together 

The public portion of this is just dumb. Irsay should've kept quiet as well as the agent. Nothing either of them will say in public has any bearing on the actual negotiations.

Everybody is entitled to their view, but JT and his agent's remarks aren't going to change the RB market or the Colts' plans.

The market is what it is, not because of discrimination or anything of the sort... The RB market is low because they don't last and the position is less important (with regard to winning) than it ever has been. You can get 85% of an elite RB's production with a guy off the street or a cheap committee, saving money for more valuable positions. You can draft a perfectly capable replacement in the 3rd round. 

I don't fault JT for being disgruntled. He's in a precarious position.I think he's a top 5 RB. I just think that the social media posturing and complaining is pointless. He's not going to guilt the Colts or any other team into paying him more. As a RB, there is a significant chance that he is on the decline or done completely by the time Indy is ready to compete with Richardson, anyway. JMO, though. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

The public portion of this is just dumb. Irsay should've kept quiet as well as the agent. Nothing either of them will say in public has any bearing on the actual negotiations.

Everybody is entitled to their view, but JT and his agent's remarks aren't going to change the RB market or the Colts' plans.

The market is what it is, not because of discrimination or anything of the sort... The RB market is low because they don't last and the position is less important (with regard to winning) than it ever has been. You can get 85% of an elite RB's production with a guy off the street or a cheap committee, saving money for more valuable positions. You can draft a perfectly capable replacement in the 3rd round. 

I don't fault JT for being disgruntled. He's in a precarious position.I think he's a top 5 RB. I just think that the social media posturing and complaining is pointless. He's not going to guilt the Colts or any other team into paying him more. As a RB, there is a significant chance that he is on the decline or done completely by the time Indy is ready to compete with Richardson, anyway. JMO, though. 

And Bingo was his Name O.

21 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

You missed Yates issue. If running backs are allowed to sign extensions after a year or two then every position is going to want the same privaledge.

RBs aren't asking to sign one or two years after their rookie deal. RBs just want to avoid getting franchise tagged and not getting paid during their prime.

23 minutes ago, teganslaw said:

JT's agent doesn't think that the situation can be fixed. Maybe he will end up testing the free agent market, after all. I'm not confident that Taylor will remain in Indy. 

He is not a free agent.  Until he fulfills his contract with the Colts he will not become a free agent. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CR91 said:

RBs aren't asking to sign one or two years after their rookie deal. RBs just want to avoid getting franchise tagged and not getting paid during their prime.

No matter what the RBs want they are under the collective bargaining agreement that they and their fellow players negotiated and voted on. 

• Like 1

By extension doesn’t that mean the Colts players he represents are pretty wild too?

I'm sure JT gave his rep the green light to make some noise. However, I'm not holding JT responsible for stuff this guy said about Irsay in 2012.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Yes they have been asking to redo the cba. One of things that has come up is letting running backs get paid sooner. This is what irsays tweet was all about.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm sure JT gave his rep the green light to make some noise. However, I'm not holding JT responsible for stuff this guy said about Irsay in 2012.

Me neither.  And I believe we both agree IIRC that tactics when fighting for NFL dollars are usually just that.  Tactics.

and I also happen to agree with what the agent said in 2012