Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A Shane Steichen question for all…

NewColtsFan

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Since he’s been hired, has Steichen been asked if he scripts the first 15 plays each week?   I suspect he does, but was wondering if it’s ever been officially addressed.    Anyone know?

Anyone?    Anyone at all? 

Thanks in advance….

No, but I can see AR writing his own scripts during the plays

• Like 1

I think he is 95% focused on stringing 1st downs.

Foremost teaching AR the great value getting to 3rd and 2-3.

And I would believe we would go into game 1 with perhaps 15-20 pass plays that have been worked on over and over in red zone scenarios that will be the foundation for our short game anywhere on the field.

So no, I have not heard of him scripting so many plays.

I have listened to him speak of discussing with the whole team starting Wednesday regarding the plays to be called and the blocking assignments for each player. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Since he’s been hired, has Steichen been asked if he scripts the first 15 plays each week?   I suspect he does, but was wondering if it’s ever been officially addressed.    Anyone know?

Thanks in advance….

I believe the most coaches script the first 1520 plays. That is why in-game adjustments to a degree get over blown by the media.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thanks in advance….

Even if asked, what do you think Steichen will say? Do you expect an honest answer?

I would think that's one of the things that head coach will rather not discuss with anyone not in the team 

9 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Even if asked, what do you think Steichen will say? Do you expect an honest answer?

I would think that's one of the things that head coach will rather not discuss with anyone not in the team 

Huh?   Coaches are asked that all the time and they answer that all the time.   It’s hardly a state secret.    

There are plenty of things coaches are tight-lipped about but revealing if they script the first 15 plays typically isn’t one of them.   It’s basic coaching, not an industry trade secret. 

I’ve asked that question of coaches I’ve interviewed and not one has ever dodged the question.   Honestly.  

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?   Coaches are asked that all the time and they answer that all the time.   It’s hardly a state secret.    

There are plenty of things coaches are tight-lipped about but revealing if they script the first 15 plays typically isn’t one of them.   It’s basic coaching, not an industry trade secret. 

I’ve asked that question of coaches I’ve interviewed and not one has ever dodged the question.   Honestly.  

Understood... Say, Steichen says he does have, and you know all coaches have certain plays that they start with in each week's game plan... So exactly what are you trying to glean from getting to know which you already know?

I would like to know what other things do you think he might say related to that you would like to listen him explain.

1 hour ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Understood... Say, Steichen says he does have, and you know all coaches have certain plays that they start with in each week's game plan... So exactly what are you trying to glean from getting to know which you already know?

I would like to know what other things do you think he might say related to that you would like to listen him explain.

Well….  First thing is that teams never script the same first 15 plays week after week.   They change every week.   They become specific to the new opponent. 

Other coaches might know Shane Steichen’s favorite plays,  but hopefully,  they don’t know when he’ll use them.   Maybe in the first 15 plays?   But maybe not until much later in the game.   To your question, I’m only trying to confirm what I suspect.   That he indeed does script.  It’s not that important, but as a former media guy, I’m always very curious. 

One of the things teams have learned to do in the last 25-30 years is self-scout.  Each team has people whose job it is to track their own teams tendencies.   It’s a very important job and honestly I haven’t thought the Colts were very good at it these last few years.  (Hines up the middle on 4th down sound familiar?)  So they know what Steichen likes to do in certain down, distance, field location, and where the team is in the course of the game.   A good head coach wants to know if he’s tipping his own hand and is predictable.  

As for Steichen specifically, honestly, I’m a little bit torn.   He was my choice to be hired as our HC.   I think he’s the right guy for this job.   But as interviews go, he’s beyond awful.   I find him painful to listen to.   Not that he’d ever admit it, but I believe he hates doing interviews.   His mind plays a bit of a game with each question.  How can I answer this question in as few words as possible?   He’s not comfortable answering questions.   I believe he only sees more downside than upside so he tries to say as little as humanly possible.  If I were a member of the Indy media, I would not look forward to his press conferences, but they are what they are.   Again, glad he’s our coach, but getting an interesting quote from him is pulling teeth. 

20 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Has anyone asked Frank Reich if he's still doing that yet? 

I liked Reich for the most part and I felt kinda bad for him when he got the can, but looking back on the Reich experience, I just don't really want to think about it or dwell on it anymore.

In his early years, he was considered a difference making play caller for us and "scheming" guys open etc, but for whatever reason, it tailed off and he became stale and predictable.

I hope he gets a good shake at it in Carolina, and I sorta wish him well over there, just not too well so that it looks like the Colts are the ones that pooped the bed kicking him out.

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well….  First thing is that teams never script the same first 15 plays week after week.   They change every week.   They become specific to the new opponent. 

Other coaches might know Shane Steichen’s favorite plays,  but hopefully,  they don’t know when he’ll use them.   Maybe in the first 15 plays?   But maybe not until much later in the game.   To your question, I’m only trying to confirm what I suspect.   That he indeed does script.  It’s not that important, but as a former media guy, I’m always very curious. 

One of the things teams have learned to do in the last 25-30 years is self-scout.  Each team has people whose job it is to track their own teams tendencies.   It’s a very important job and honestly I haven’t thought the Colts were very good at it these last few years.  (Hines up the middle on 4th down sound familiar?)  So they know what Steichen likes to do in certain down, distance, field location, and where the team is in the course of the game.   A good head coach wants to know if he’s tipping his own hand and is predictable.  

As for Steichen specifically, honestly, I’m a little bit torn.   He was my choice to be hired as our HC.   I think he’s the right guy for this job.   But as interviews go, he’s beyond awful.   I find him painful to listen to.   Not that he’d ever admit it, but I believe he hates doing interviews.   His mind plays a bit of a game with each question.  How can I answer this question in as few words as possible?   He’s not comfortable answering questions.   I believe he only sees more downside than upside so he tries to say as little as humanly possible.  If I were a member of the Indy media, I would not look forward to his press conferences, but they are what they are.   Again, glad he’s our coach, but getting an interesting quote from him is pulling teeth. 

Yeah, he may get comfortable after the Rookie year and might start to open up when he's firmly set on the job. It's tough always in the first few months, and it's better to hold back and get to know how it's all perceived in the region and media. 

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

As for Steichen specifically, honestly, I’m a little bit torn.   He was my choice to be hired as our HC.   I think he’s the right guy for this job.   But as interviews go, he’s beyond awful.   I find him painful to listen to.   Not that he’d ever admit it, but I believe he hates doing interviews.   His mind plays a bit of a game with each question.  How can I answer this question in as few words as possible?   He’s not comfortable answering questions.   I believe he only sees more downside than upside so he tries to say as little as humanly possible. 

I actually find that refreshing in contrast to an owner that probably runs his mouth too much.

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I know what you mean. To be honest I think most players and coaches have anxiety with speaking to the media. I know I would just from the fear of saying something wrong. I'd be the Marshawn Lynch type who would be quietly standing in the corner hoping no one would notice me. 

It's odd too. I teach in front of kids all day long, and then on weekends I'm playing in a band in all sorts of various settings from bars to outdoor venues. I never have as much anxiety doing that (I still have it but it's more of an excitement "let's get this thing going" type of feeling?). But if you put me in front of a bunch of adults or a camera in my face for a statement? I clam up bad... 

I can't really explain it. It's weird but I wonder if Shane has the same type of experience. He's fine in front of thousands of people as long as he's coaching and with his guys. But put him alone with reporters and cameras and he's a different person. 

To answer your original question: I haven't heard anyone ask it. I would image he will have at least the first few series scripted just to help Anthony out. I'm sure that's all being ironed out in the walkthroughs. Hell even Peyton and company would script their stuff. 

• Thanks 1

There will be probing plays early on to see how the opponent will react. Hopefully, they won't be the same plays, in the same order every game and mixed in with the game strategy and objectives. The game of football is far more complex, today, than it was 10 or 15 years ago. Having a set number of scripted plays just won't cut it.