Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Sign WR DJ Montgomery

csmopar

8 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Sign all the oline ya want. If you’ve got no one to throw the ball to, what’s it matter?

Huh?

No one to throw the ball to?   

Pittman?   Pierce?    Downs?   McKenzie?     

What am I not understanding about your post?   

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I think you undervalue our WR room. Having the QB who can make the throws to the WRs is the key. 

I don’t undervalue anything. In fact, I like our WR group. I forget that we have some people who take everything 100% seriously and don’t understand sarcasm. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?

Sarcasm. The oline is a mess with the injuries currently. But we’ve got some people that aren’t ever happy with any position, so why not add fuel to the fire and watch them cry about it?

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Sarcasm. The oline is a mess with the injuries currently. But we’ve got some people that aren’t ever happy with any position, so why not add fuel to the fire and watch them cry about it?

Thanks for clarifying.   And for the record, I like sarcasm as much as the next guy.  But, I’ve learned from personal experience, that sarcasm doesn’t always translate well on the internet.  

I often recommend the use of some emoji to help.   But everyone is different in these things.   

I look at our WR's as two separate groups:

Outside (X and Z) - common denominator with the exception of Washington is height

Pittman - 1

Pierce - 2

Strachan

Perriman

Montgomery

Washington

Winfree

Adams

Smith

Inside (Y) - common denominator is lack of height but a lot of juice and route running ability

Downs - 3

McKenzie - 4

Rodgers - 5

Case

I think what they are looking for with bringing these guys in is someone who can adequately back-up Pierce and Pittman on the outside AND get dirty on Special Teams.........hence no "big named" players like Sammie Watkins or Kenny Golladay, for example.

Dulin is on the IR

Strachan is potentially banged up now

So they want those 5-6 guys to battle it out for the 6th spot as I see us keeping all three mighty mites (Downs, McKenzie and Rodgers).

Do I wish they would or could sign Dalton Risner - absolutely. In the big picture I still understand what they are trying to do with the WR's though. Additionally, Risner could very likely be waiting for the right team (aka not us) to join or the right money (again likely not us) before making a decision. You have to think he's got several offers available to him since EVERYONE needs lineman.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cjrulli said:

Dulin on IR and I’m guessing this isn’t good news for Strachan who appear to tweak his groin. 

Yeah but we have 4 starters set and the rest are fighting for one maybe two spots as the 5th and 6th WRs. Why do we need 6+ WRs fighting for that chance when we have legitimate issues at the starter RG position?

5 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Outside (X and Z) - common denominator with the exception of Washington is height

Pittman - 1

Pierce - 2

Strachan

Perriman

Montgomery

Washington

Winfree

Adams

Smith

Inside (Y) - common denominator is lack of height but a lot of juice and route running ability

Downs - 3

McKenzie - 4

Rodgers - 5

Case

I think what they are looking for with bringing these guys in is someone who can adequately back-up Pierce and Pittman on the outside AND get dirty on Special Teams.........hence no "big named" players like Sammie Watkins or Kenny Golladay, for example.

Dulin is on the IR

So they want those 5-6 guys to battle it out for the 6th spot as I see us keeping all three mighty mites (Downs, McKenzie and Rodgers).

Do I wish they would or could sign Dalton Risner - absolutely. In the big picture I still understand what they are trying to do with the WR's though. Additionally, Risner could very likely be waiting for the right team (aka not us) to join or the right money (again likely not us) before making a decision. You have to think he's got several offers available to him since EVERYONE needs lineman.

Good analysis on the WRs. 

As for Risner, I had the same questions.  But if you check him out, he was a disappointment for Denver.  Average G, at best (LG).  His greatest asset was his durability, which is important.  But is he better than Fries?  Maybe not.

Hambright looks like he’s doing well.   Pinter is okay as a backup C.  Blake is getting a lot of snaps at RT and may be okay.   Admittedly, it falls off fast.  But how many teams have real depth on the Oline?

Personally, I don’t think it’s as bad as some do.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Pittman - 1

Pierce - 2

Strachan

Perriman

Montgomery

Washington

Winfree

Adams

Smith

Downs - 3

McKenzie - 4

Rodgers - 5

Case

Dulin is on the IR

Scott, apologies in advance.   You know I’m a fan.   And I know your X, Y, and Z is your own internal language.  But some posters here might easily get confused, because as I’m sure you know X, Y and Z have entirely different meaning in the NFL.  

X = Split end    (Pittman)

Z = Flanker.      (Downs) 

Y = in-line blocking tight end   (Doyle)

F = receiving tight end.           (Granson) 

Just wanted to offer some clarity…. :peek:

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Solid84 said:

Yeah but we have 4 starters set and the rest are fighting for one maybe two spots as the 5th and 6th WRs. Why do we need 6+ WRs fighting for that chance when we have legitimate issues at the starter RG position?

One thing I realized was with 3 QBs at practice going at the same time plus we did 11 on 11 at both ends of the field earlier in camp you need at least 12 -14. WRs regardless of their chance to make the team 

I guess that’s where the expression camp bodies originated

3 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Good analysis on the WRs. 

As for Risner, I had the same questions.  But if you check him out, he was a disappointment for Denver.  Average G, at best (LG).  His greatest asset was his durability, which is important.  But is he better than Fries?  Maybe not.

Hambright looks like he’s doing well.   Pinter is okay as a backup C.  Blake is getting a lot of snaps at RT and may be okay.   Admittedly, it falls off fast.  But how many teams have real depth on the Oline?

Personally, I don’t think it’s as bad as some do.  

I’ll take an average G right now over… whatever last year was.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thanks for clarifying.   And for the record, I like sarcasm as much as the next guy.  But, I’ve learned from personal experience, that sarcasm doesn’t always translate well on the internet.  

I often recommend the use of some emoji to help.   But everyone is different in these things.   

I’m of the age and mindset that I only use emojis when clearly needed. That or if I’m texting my wife lol. Otherwise meh. You’re right, though. It doesn’t always translate properly. Suppose I should end those comments with /s. 

10 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

So we are supposed to read sarcasm in between your comments? 

Talking Episode 7 GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, AKB said:

i wasnt a fan of campbell leaving

Nor was I, especially for the price. I’m excited to see what Downs can bring, but Campbell was a(nother) waste of a 2nd round pick. Just when he finally started to show some return on the investment he signs with the Giants for peanuts. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?

Lost of supposed talent but not a lot production as of yet with exception of Pittman. I do however expect the TE and WR group to be one of our strongest groupings.