Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck will be eligible for the HOF in 2024

ADnum1

13 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

By a few jackwagons maybe.   The overwhelming majority would give him a warm welcome 

Maybe in ten years time but no, not now. In fact, I’d be the one to sneak the bull horns in just to make sure the noise could be heard

7 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

He’s on my wall of fame. The pic is of him diving into the endzone when he recovered the fumble in kc.  
He and harbs flank a bigger pick of PM. 

Yep, that has been my avatar since I have been a member in here. IMO, regardless of the way he retired, I still think Luck is the 3rd greatest QB in Colts history. Only behind Peyton and Unitas. I think he was better than Jones and definitely better than Harbaugh. Jones did win a League MVP but Luck had a much better record with little to work with and Luck had more playoff wins + Statistically between he and Jones, it isn't even close in favor of Luck.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yep, that has been my avatar since I have been a member in here. IMO, regardless of the way he retired, I still think Luck is the 3rd greatest QB in Colts history. Only behind Peyton and Unitas. I think he was better than Jones and definitely better than Harbaugh. Jones did win a League MVP but Luck had a much better record with little to work with and Luck had more playoff wins + Statistically between he and Jones, it isn't even close in favor of Luck.

Luck had as many playoff wins as Earl Morrall did lmao , both had 4. I just can't get the awful game Earl Morrall had in SB 3. That was nonsense. Was he playing for the Jets that day?? 

Participation banner when the team that won was caught cheating and shouldnt have even been in the afc title game because won by 3 points while cheating in that game in the afc semis vs the ravens....well i get it,call out the cheat make it well known and never forget...the nfl took action in a quarter million fine and 4 game suspension.......sad part is never will have known if colts or ravens would have made that title game but sure as hell would not have been the pats 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Participation banner when the team that won was caught cheating and shouldnt have even been in the afc title game because won by 3 points while cheating in that game in the afc semis vs the ravens....well i get it,call out the cheat make it well known and never forget...the nfl took action in a quarter million fine and 4 game suspension.......sad part is never will have known if colts or ravens would have made that title game but sure as hell would not have been the pats 

That is another reason why I have 0 problem with an AFC Finalist banner hanging for 2014 by what you just posted. 

Also going back to 1995, you know why people praise that team, it is because we made the AFC Championship Game. Nobody would even talk about that team had it not been for that. We didn't win the division that year. Going to the AFC Championship Game is a way better and tougher accomplishment than winning your division. A lot of teams can win their division, especially if it is weak. Not many make the AFC Championship Game every year (Pats and Chiefs most recently and that is about it). Food for thought.

• Like 3

On 7/12/2023 at 9:13 PM, csmopar said:

Nick Foles won a Super Bowl, should he be in the HoF

No.

I've read many of your posts in the past and I know you are smarter than the sarcastic response you just gave.

Having said that, I will break it down Barney style for you................Sandy Koufax.

He was one of the most dominant pitchers in MLB for a 6 year stretch of his career before retiring due to injury. He was part of 4 WS Winning Teams as well. 

In football terms think Terrell Davis - only 4 dominant years.........but won SB's twice.

So in comparison had Luck won a Superbowl in those 6 dominant years of ball then yes, I think he'd get a pass on the longevity issue due to injury. It would have been about his impact on the game in that short stretch - there are plenty of examples of enshrined players.

Having said that, it's a travesty that Sterling Sharpe is not in the HOF after his career was cut short due to injury.

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

No.

I've read many of your posts in the past and I know you are smarter than the sarcastic response you just gave.

Having said that, I will break it down Barney style for you................Sandy Koufax.

He was one of the most dominant pitchers in MLB for a 6 year stretch of his career before retiring due to injury. He was part of 4 WS Winning Teams as well. 

In football terms think Terrell Davis - only 4 dominant years.........but won SB's twice.

So in comparison had Luck won a Superbowl in those 6 dominant years of ball then yes, I think he'd get a pass on the longevity issue due to injury. It would have been about his impact on the game in that short stretch - there are plenty of examples of enshrined players.

Having said that, it's a travesty that Sterling Sharpe is not in the HOF after his career was cut short due to injury.

Gayle Sayers. Never won anything and didn't even have 5000 yards in his career, he got in. He was flashy/great for really only 3 seasons. He is the most overrated RB in NFL history IMO. I say that because most media people have him as a top 50 player of all-time and many say he is a top 10 RB. When it comes to him, media people flush longevity down the toilet lol.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Gayle Sayers. Never won anything and didn't even have 5000 yards in his career, he got in. He was flashy/great for really only 3 seasons. He is the most overrated RB in NFL history IMO. I say that because most media people have him as a top 50 player of all-time and many say he is a top 10 RB. When it comes to him, media people flush longevity down the toilet lol.

@NewColtsFan,  not sure why the sad face. Everything i said was true. I can't always be Mr Nice Guy lol. When the NFL Network did their top 100 players of all-time, Sayers was ranked higher than Emmitt Smith and Eric Dickerson. In what universe was he better than those 2? I have nothing personal against Sayers, it isn't about that but he is way overrated by the media and statistically he isn't even close to being a Hall of Famer. T.Davis I get, he was arguably the most important part of Denver's back to back SB wins. All-time I would have Davis rated higher than Sayers.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

@NewColtsFan,  not sure why the sad face. Everything i said was true. I can't always be Mr Nice Guy lol. When the NFL Network did their top 100 players of all-time, Sayers was ranked higher than Emmitt Smith and Eric Dickerson. In what universe was he better than those 2? I have nothing personal against Sayers, it isn't about that but he is way overrated by the media and statistically he isn't even close to being a Hall of Famer. T.Davis I get, he was arguably the most important part of Denver's back to back SB wins. All-time I would have Davis rated higher than Sayers.

I agree. Gale Sayers in the hall of fame is a joke. There's probably at least 50 rbs that are better than him (and that's being conservative). I could probably name 6-8 active rbs that i think are better than Sayers. Sometimes the HOF gets things horribly wrong, and this is one of those cases.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I agree. Gale Sayers in the hall of fame is a joke. There's probably at least 50 rbs that are better than him (and that's being conservative). I could probably name 6-8 active rbs that i think are better than Sayers. Sometimes the HOF gets things horribly wrong, and this is one of those cases.

I wouldn't say 50, but at least 20. 20 is being generous and at least acknowledgeing that Sayers was good. Thanks, you get it. T. Davis belongs in the Hall because he was a gigantic part of 2 SB wins, he also had a season where he rushed for over 2000.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I wouldn't say 50, but at least 20. 20 is being generous and at least acknowledgeing that Sayers was good. Thanks, you get it. T. Davis belongs in the Hall because he was a gigantic part of 2 SB wins, he also had a season where he rushed for over 2000.

Yeah, Davis is part of the 2,000 yard club (which still has meaning to this day), and he was an integral part of helping the Broncos win two SBs. If you're going to have a short career, you have to have accomplishments like that to get into the HOF IMO.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

Yeah, Davis is part of the 2,000 yard club (which still has meaning to this day), and he was an integral part of helping the Broncos win two SBs. If you're going to have a short career, you have to accomplishments like that to get into the HOF IMO.

I agree 100%. Had Andrew won a SB by getting by Brady, he would even have an argument. Unfortunately he didn't but Andrew does belong in the ROH.

• Like 1

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree 100%. Had Andrew won a SB by getting by Brady, he would even have an argument. Unfortunately he didn't but Andrew does belong in the ROH.

If Luck won the SB in 2014, there would be an argument. He didn't though, and his career is all unknown potential, projection, and speculation on what could have been. 

I honestly don't want Luck in the ROH. Yes, he is part of our history, but it's such a black mark on this team, that I think it's better for all parties not to acknowledge him. If anything, you would have to do it once the team is successful again, or you would have people like me booing him and chanting "you suck" at the ROH ceremony. haha 

LUCK = Deserter.   What he pulled off is a disgrace to all Colt former and current players. you just don't wake up and say I am done one week before season starts. Manning wanted 25 mil to play and stay and Irsay said no. Luck quits and Irsay gives him 25 mil. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

If Luck won the SB in 2014, there would be an argument. He didn't though, and his career is all unknown potential, projection, and speculation on what could have been. 

I honestly don't want Luck in the ROH. Yes, he is part of our history, but it's such a black mark on this team, that I think it's better for all parties not to acknowledge him. If anything, you would have to do it once the team is successful again, or you would have people like me booing him and chanting "you suck" at the ROH ceremony. haha 

I can even buy that Joe Namath is a Hall of Famer because he was the starting QB of one the biggest SB's wins in NFL history. That gets him in, without that he would not be in or shouldn't be. 

Namath career stats:

173 TD's

220 INT's

27663 yards passing

50% completion 

Namath IMO deserves to be in before someone gets their underware in a bunch lol but only based on that 1968 playoff run. Outside of that run, he has 0 playoff wins and statistically he wasn't that good. People can say the game is different today but 173/220 TD-INT ratio has nothing to do with the game being different. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I can even buy that Joe Namath is a Hall of Famer because he was the starting QB of one the biggest SB's wins in NFL history. That gets him in, without that he would not be in or shouldn't be. 

Namath career stats:

173 TD's

220 INT's

27663 yards passing

50% completion 

Namath IMO deserves To be in but only based on that 1968 playoff run. Outside of that run, he has 0 playoff wins and statistically he wasn't that good. People can say the game is different today but 173/220 TD-INT ratio has nothing to do with the game being different. 

Yeah, I've always said Namath was overrated. I never got to see him play live, but based on stats, he seems like he would be a low tier starter in todays NFL, even if he passed the ball a lot more.

Namath made the HOF because of the SB3 guarantee that he'd beat the Colts, and he did. That was huge for the time and made Namath the greatest QB in Jets history.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yeah, I've always said Namath was overrated. I never got to see him play live, but based on stats, he seems like he would be a low tier starter in todays NFL, even if he passed the ball a lot more.

Namath made the HOF because of the SB3 guarantee that he'd beat the Colts, and he did. That was huge for the time and made Namath the greatest QB in Jets history.

Yeah, I love Joe's personality and SB 3 was gigantic back then.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah, I love Joe's personality and SB 3 was gigantic back then.

Me too. Joe is a joy to watch and listen too. Always enjoyed him whenever he made an appearance (whether it be on a commercial or to talk football). IMO, he's a borderline HOFer. I'm not sure if he was first-ballot back in 1985 or what, but he did just enough IMO, and the guarantee separated him from other players who kept their mouth shut and did their job. I love cockiness when it's backed up, and even though Joe beat the Colts (even though I wasn't born yet) that win put him on another level because no QB ever did that at the time and backed it up. Jets were a huge underdog and got the victory, which made it even more impressive.

• Like 1

You youngsters crack me up.  Namath was absolutely great, and in a time where - like Unitas - quarterbacks got beaten senseless.  When you get a chance, watch the replay of the Colts-Jets matchup where Unitas threw for 400+ and Namath threw for 500+.  Forget the career stats from back in that era.  Bad knees and beatings shortened his career and limited him.

Joe Willy and that Super Bowl was a catalyst in the transformation of the NFL.  

Luck had ZERO impact on the league and the game, in comparison...well, except to practically destroy a competitive franchise.

34 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

You youngsters crack me up.  Namath was absolutely great, and in a time where - like Unitas - quarterbacks got beaten senseless.  When you get a chance, watch the replay of the Colts-Jets matchup where Unitas threw for 400+ and Namath threw for 500+.  Forget the career stats from back in that era.  Bad knees and beatings shortened his career and limited him.

Luck had ZERO impact on the league and the game, in comparison...well, except to practically destroy a competitive franchise.

It is funny you post this and I get a laugh from @NewColtsFan, when I already clearly said Namath deserved to be in the Hall of Fame and SB 3 was the main reason. I am almost 52 years old so I am not as young as you may think. I have studied more football players and their careers probably more than anyone in here or close to it. One thing nobody can say about me is, that I don't know my history. Although the game was different back then which I am fully of aware of, a 173-220 TD-INT ratio has nothing to do with that. I don't factor in yards because I know back then QB's didn't pass near as much as they do now. One thing you can go by is TD-INT ratio though and how accurate a QB is no matter the ERA. I also posted at least 2 times in this thread now that Luck shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame. Some people read what they want and ignore many great points regarding an overall post when it is made. I have noticed that in here.- That is a specialty in here for a select few chuckling homer simpson GIF

38 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

In SB 3, Namath threw for 206 yards. Unitas threw for 110 yards, Morrall threw for 71 yards. Where are you getting Unitas threw for 400 yards and Namath 500 yards?

52 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It is funny you post this and I get a laugh from @NewColtsFan, when I already clearly said Namath deserved to be in the Hall of Fame and SB 3 was the main reason. I am almost 52 years old so I am not as young as you may think. I have studied more football players and their careers probably more than anyone in here or close to it. One thing nobody can say about me is, that I don't know my history. Although the game was different back then which I am fully of aware of, a 173-220 TD-INT ratio has nothing to do with that. I don't factor in yards because I know back then QB's didn't pass near as much as they do now. One thing you can go by is TD-INT ratio though and how accurate a QB is no matter the ERA. I also posted at least 2 times in this thread now that Luck shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame. Some people read what they want and ignore many great points regarding an overall post when it is made. I have noticed that in here.- That is a specialty in here for a select few chuckling homer simpson GIF

You.  Don’t.  Know.   Your.   History.   

Not even a little, Homer. 

Later, when I have more time, I’ll write a very long post explaining just how wrong you and Jared are about Sayers.   Completely. 

Then, tomorrow,  I’ll write one about how wrong you guys are about Namath.   Yeah, I know, you said he belongs in the HoF for winning SB3.   But his place in history is about much more than just one game.  

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You.  Don’t.  Know.   Your.   History.   

Not even a little, Homer. 

Later, when I have more time, I’ll write a very long post explaining just how wrong you and Jared are about Sayers.   Completely. 

Then, tomorrow,  I’ll write one about how wrong you guys are about Namath.   Yeah, I know, you said he belongs in the HoF for winning SB3.   But his place in history is about much more than just one game.  

I laugh because you say I don't know my history. By the way I think Sayers belongs in the Hall of Fame, I just think he is overrated when it comes to people saying he is a top 10 RB of all-time and many do on the NFL Network and ESPN. That is my opinion. When you have people in the media saying he is better than Eric Dickerson and Emmitt Smith = the NFL Network, then that is just huge complete nonsense. Look at their top 100. You just read 1 thing from my post and it stuck in your head because I said the guy is overrated. Sayers wasn't better than Brown, Smith, Payton, Sanders, Dickerson, Peterson, Dorsett, Harris, Campbell, Faulk, OJ, or even LT by no metric ever invented. That is just 12 Backs I gave you off the top of my head without thinking. If you think Sayers is better than any of those backs, then I would question your knowledge of the history of the game.

You look at my post and think I am bashing Sayers, when I am not. He deserves to be in the Hall but my point is, they were a lot of backs better. @Jared Cisnerosis the one that said 50 are, I just said 20 which is about accurate.

Regarding Namath, I already said he belongs so that should have been all I needed to say and accepted. I know everything about Namath's career that you can't tell me. I have read multiple articles about him, I have watched SB 3 at least a dozen times on ESPN.

I really don't have much more to say on this subject. You said your part and I stated mine. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

No.

Keep reading the thread, you’ll see my point

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

In SB 3, Namath threw for 206 yards. Unitas threw for 110 yards, Morrall threw for 71 yards. Where are you getting Unitas threw for 400 yards and Namath 500 yards?

In a regular season game.   Not the Super Bowl.   The game was one for the ages.   Part of NFL history.  

21 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Please re-Read this post by you again.   Then try to tell me how much you know and respect Gale Sayers.   The answer is, almost not at all.  

Despite being 52,  you make the same mistake that younger generations make all the time.   You judge players from past generations by todays modern standard.  Sayers played over 50 years ago and you have no idea how much the game has changed.   None. 

Here's how little you know about Sayers and history.   Do you know who Sayers was?   He was Barry Sanders before Sanders was even born.   He could do things that nobody else could, not even Jim Brown, the best RB of all-time could do.   That isn’t to say Sayers was better than Brown — he clearly wasn’t.   But he was different.   He was shockingly fast and quick, could cut sharply at top speed like no one before him, even on a muddy field. 
No one had ever seen anything like Sayers.   
He was electrifying, eye popping and jaw dropping all at the same time. 

He played during an era when defenses dominated.   Defense was way WAY ahead of offense back then.  You’ve laughed that Sayers only had two 1,000 yard seasons.  Back then, a 1,000 yard season was a huge accomplishment.   The second time Sayers did it, he was the ONLY running back to do it that year.   No one else.   The game was drastically different way back then.  The season where Sayers hurt his knee for the first time, he had over 850 yards, but in just 9 games.   He was headed for 1300 yards, the type of feat only Jim Brown was doing. 

As for the injury….  More that you clearly don’t understand.   Sayers suffered what was then a catastrophic injury.  The type that would end the career for most RBs.  But Sayers overcame the injury and while he was never quite the same as prior to his injury, he was still great enough to have another 1,000 yard season before he suffered a second knee injury which ultimately ended his career.   The view of Sayers was nothing less than heroic.   

Sayers has career average per carry of  5.0.   Including seasonal averages of 5.2, 5.4, 4.7 and 6.2.   Those are crazy numbers.   They’d be great today, but back then it was almost incomprehensible.  This was at a time that anything over 4.5 almost made you great.   For decades, Sayers held the record for most returns for TD with 8, even in a shortened career.   He has career punt return averages of nearly 15, and kick off of nearly 31.   

You keep making arguments based on his career totals.  You mock him for not achieving 5,000 yards.  Without context (which you don’t offer) they’re almost worthless.  

You clearly don’t understand NFL history.  
You clearly don’t understand the importance of Gale Sayers.   It’s why you belittle the media who rave about them.   But you think they’re all wrong and you’re right.   Because you do your homework.  
Sorry, it’s just not enough.   Not even close.  

Apologies for how long this was.   Tomorrow, an equally long post (longer?) about quarterbacks.   Your view there also lacks complete context.   You think the era has nothing to do with the stat totals.   You couldn’t be more wrong.    It has everything to do with it.   Sorry. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, csmopar said:

Keep reading the thread, you’ll see my point

I agree with your sentiment and have long supported Ballard because of the mess that Andrew put this franchise in.......the 2019 draft produced two decent QB's in Kyler Murray and Gardner Minshew so neither of them would have raised the bar much that year. Free Agency in 2019 the best QB's were Foles (ironically enough) and Fitzmagic.........so again, not world beaters by any stretch.

I believe that off-season would have played out a lot differently if the front office was aware of his retirement and Ballard may have made different maneuvers.

As far as my original statement of No, but yes if he'd won a Superbowl, I still stand by that because that is not our decision as fans. The voters would view the stats and the Superbowl and graded on a curve due to the injuries just like they have in the past. He was a top 5 QB (by stats) on his career trajectory after all.....

Again, I do not like how it played out because I believe in transparency!

• Like 1

On 7/12/2023 at 9:24 PM, SOMDColtsfan said:

Hypothetically speaking..If the Colts had solved the QB vacancy Luck created and gone on to win and be contenders. Would fans feel differently about his retirement? 

Regardless of the colts success or lack of after him retiring doesn't change the fact he QUIT on the team, management, fans just two weeks before the season opener and showed he was  as frisky as a pup in pregame warmups.

I don't know if he'll be booed if he returns to Lucas Oil But he certainly was Booed off the field when his retirement was leaked on PA system.

• Like 2