Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck will be eligible for the HOF in 2024

ADnum1

1 minute ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I think the writing on the wall for how the ceremony would go is already showing itself. Bring up Luck now 4 years later and you have a bunch of people with negative things to say. Typically negativity fades over time but this one is hanging around.  There will be enough people still upset the boos would be noticeable.  I personally respect his decision as a person, he wanted to save his body and be a dad. Kudos to him, I get it. However, as a player/employee I have little respect for him.  Just another person with tons of potential that wouldn’t do what it takes. You can’t teach what he had and let his entire team and fan base down while guys are killing themselves just to hang onto a roster spot.  I’m able to separate the two but guessing most who are still upset can’t. 

We are similar in understanding the WHY. 

to me it comes down to the HOW he handled the situation 

Tell you what, let’s Compromise. We will give Andrew Luck what he gave us,  4th place Runner up banner. 

so what we’ll do is have a banner printed that says Ring of Honor Runner Up- Andrew Luck. And we’ll even give him that hideous banner from the 2014 AFCCG. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, csmopar said:

We are similar in understanding the WHY. 

to me it comes down to the HOW he handled the situation 

I think the Colts knew he was or could retire before it was announced. Just my opinion but I think they were spending the summer and training camp trying to talk him out of it.  Luck could have indicated he was staying and then abruptly changed his mind but I don’t think the organization was in the dark about this. 

34 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Which proves my point entirely. he had decided to retire and still chose to mislead everyone. 

If you're referring to luck warming up during his final preseason game, then yes I agree. That was misleading.

If you're referring to the interview you posted, then no. That was weeks prior to his retirement. He had not intended to retire at that time.

3 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I think the Colts knew he was or could retire before it was announced. Just my opinion but I think they were spending the summer and training camp trying to talk him out of it.  Luck could have indicated he was staying and then abruptly changed his mind but I don’t think the organization was in the dark about this. 

I don’t think they were either fully either. I also think it all goes back to what Irsay said in 2017, it was between Lucks head. 

I also don’t think Luck was in full disclosure to the team and I think he drug out making a decision until August, purposely or not. 

2 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

If you're referring to luck warming up during his final preseason game, then yes I agree. That was misleading.

If you're referring to the interview you posted, then no. That was weeks prior to his retirement. He had not intended to retire at that time.

Yes, the warming up. As I said above, in my three issues 

• Like 2

Not saying it wouldn't happen, but Luck will be waiting a long time imo if they ever consider putting him in the hall. You can't argue you though the great numbers Luck would have put up if it weren't for the injuries and ultimately retiring.

If Luck would have just retired after the 2018 season playoff loss to KC, he would have been looked at much differently. Once the SB was over that season, he could have a nice long presser that February and just said he was just tired of playing injured, his heart wasn't it anymore, and he gave it his all. The team and fans would have had 0 problem with that IMO. Going into the draft and free agency we would have known where we stood as well.

• Like 3

I have never understood why some people have a problem with hanging an AFC Finalist banner up. That is a hell of an accomplishment. That means you were 1 of 4 teams left in that particular season. Some seasons, the 2 best teams actually meet in a Championship Game. I could say why should the Chargers hang an AFC Championship banner in 1994 when clearly they weren't better than Dallas who lost to the 49ers that season in the NFC Championship. Like the Pats need too but in 2006 them and the Colts was the real SB, so if I am the Bears, why even hang an NFC Championship banner? Pats would have took that Bears team to the woodshed. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If Luck would have just retired after the 2018 season playoff loss to KC, he would have been looked at much differently. Once the SB was over that season, he could have a nice long presser that February and just said he was just tired of playing injured, his heart wasn't it anymore, and he gave it his all. The team and fans would have had 0 problem with that IMO. Going into the draft and free agency we would have known where we stood as well.

Completely agree. I would even had been okay with him coming out after training camp and saying the same thing.

But coming out in the final preseason game, warming up in front of fans after basically promising he’d be starting week one, all while knowing you’ve retired by that point, nope that was a deliberate misleading and slap in the face of those who had supported him through all his injuries and successes 

honestly, I wouldn’t have liked it, but if he had held a presser even before the game THAT day, I would be far more understanding as it all comes down to being truthful and not misleading people. Maybe I’m too much of an open book but that just stinks of being a fake person. And an arrogant jerk too. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have never understood why some people have a problem with hanging an AFC Finalist banner up. That is a hell of an accomplishment. That means you were 1 of 4 teams left in that particular season. Some seasons, the 2 best teams actually meet in a Championship Game. I could say why should the Chargers hand an AFC Championship banner in 1994 when clearly they weren't better than Dallas who lost to the 49ers that season in the NFC Championship. Like the Pats need too but in 2006 them and the Colts was the real SB, so if I am the Bears, why even hang an NFC Championship banner? Pats would have took that Bears to the woodshed. 

It’s basically a participation trophy. I’d been fine with a divisonal championship banner instead

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

It’s basically a participation trophy. I’d been fine with a divisonal championship banner instead

If I ran a marathon against the best runners in the world who were all elite and I finished 3rd or 4th out of that, I would be ecstatic and think that was an awesome accomplishment. Yeah, not winning it would suck but 3rd or 4th out of 32 is damn great in reality. The Texans for example have never even played in a Conference Championship Game.

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have never understood why some people have a problem with hanging an AFC Finalist banner up. That is a hell of an accomplishment. That means you were 1 of 4 teams left in that particular season. Some seasons, the 2 best teams actually meet in a Championship Game. I could say why should the Chargers hang an AFC Championship banner in 1994 when clearly they weren't better than Dallas who lost to the 49ers that season in the NFC Championship. Like the Pats need too but in 2006 them and the Colts was the real SB, so if I am the Bears, why even hang an NFC Championship banner? Pats would have took that Bears team to the woodshed. 

As @csmopar says, it's a participation trophy, and I don't think that kind of behavior should be encouraged. There are winners and losers in every sort of competition in life. If you lose, you lose, don't try and justify it like you won. The olympics are a bit different with Gold, Silver, and Bronze medals, but that's top 3 in an individual sport where an individual is doing all the work him/herself. 

Sports like Football there is stuff like divisional championship, Conference Champion, and SB champion where you can hang banners up for accomplishments, but AFC finalist is petty and ridiculous. It's an insult to the fans and players, and it's an insult to teams that won that year when a team who lost is trying to include themselves as a winner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

As @csmopar says, it's a participation trophy, and I don't think that kind of behavior should be encouraged. There are winners and losers in every sort of competition in life. If you lose, you lose, don't try and justify it like you won. The olympics are a bit different with Gold, Silver, and Bronze medals, but that's top 3 in an individual sport where an individual is doing all the work him/herself. 

Sports like Football there is stuff like divisional championship, Conference Champion, and SB champion where you can hang banners up for accomplishments, but AFC finalist is petty and ridiculous. It's an insult to the fans and players, and it's an insult to teams that won that year when a team who lost is trying to include themselves as a winner.

I agree.  I think it's pretty low class for the Colts to hang up a banner for every time they even sniffed the playoffs.  Banners are for Accomplishments.  For something that has significance.  All those championship banners hanging up in Boston Garden mean something.  Our participation banners only mean that we didn't have anything (pre-2006) to truly celebrate.  At all.

Personally, I think that the very least, every banner under AFC Championship rating participation should come down.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

Edge had a truncated career and he is in the hall of fame. Luck was a great QB but I don’t see him getting in the way he left our team holding the bag.

Edge had a typical career span for a RB. And Edge set tons of records doing so. 

as far as HoF QBs go, Lucks career was drastically short. And mostly due to his own extracurricular off season activities.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

If it were up to me I'd say Luck didnt do nearly enough to make the hof. 

are there people who think he should get in?

There are people who think so, and it's laughable IMO to even suggest he makes the HOF and an insult to players that were much better than him and made much more of an impact. I'm not even sure Phillip Rivers is a HOFer, and I would put him in over Luck 100 times out of 100.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

There are people who think so, and it's laughable IMO to even suggest he makes the HOF and an insult to players that were much better than him and made much more of an impact. I'm not even sure Phillip Rivers is a HOFer, and I would put him in over Luck 100 times out of 100.

Agreed. And with each passing year, it’s gonna get harder and harder as the bar is raised. Guys like Manning, Brady, Brees etc have or are all going into the Hall and that’ll raise that bar. And Mahomes, Allen are already better than what Luck in his prime was. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

Edge had a truncated career and he is in the hall of fame. Luck was a great QB but I don’t see him getting in the way he left our team holding the bag.

Edge played 11 years and averaged over 1000 yard seasons at the end of his career. I wouldn’t call that truncated 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

It's really not. There was a thread on Twitter that showed Andrew's career averages and if he continued to play, he would top 3 in all major passing categories. 

Just now, csmopar said:

Edge played 11 years and averaged over 1000 yard seasons at the end of his career. I wouldn’t call that truncated 

I think he's referring to more his career after the colts. Cards and Seahawk Edge was pretty lackluster.

Just now, CR91 said:

It's really not. There was a thread on Twitter that showed Andrew's career averages and if he continued to play, he would top 3 in all major passing categories. 

It's still a projection if he remained on a straight path with no decline. Woulda Coulda Shoulda, but didn't. Can't give credit to something that didn't happen. Otherwise, you have to do that with every player and make a decision on if they make the HOF by handing out stats based on a full career. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

It's still a projection if he remained on a straight path with no decline. Woulda Coulda Shoulda, but didn't. Can't give credit to something that didn't happen. Otherwise, you have to do that with every player and make a decision on if they make the HOF by handing out stats based on a full career. 

Calvin Johnson got into the Hall before Torry Holt and Reggie playing less seasons. Is that fair?

4 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Calvin Johnson got into the Hall before Torry Holt and Reggie playing less seasons. Is that fair?

IMO, Calvin Johnson shouldn't be a HOFer. He had little longevity, and no impact on helping the Lions making the postseason or winning championships. He's as bad as Luck almost IMO in not being qualified. I will forever be against Calvin making the HOF.

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Although I agree with you, we could, just for the sake of argument, compare Luck to Gale Sayers.

Sayers' career was also cut short due to injuries, and only played 5 full seasons.

He was one of the most electrifying players in the league, even though he played for some very bad Bears teams.

His 4,956 career rushing yards far overshadowed by the top RB's in NFL history.

Yet, he's in the HoF.  Why?  Because he was such an over the top amazing player, even for the short time he was in the league.

Now, was Luck as amazing a player as Sayers?  I don't think so.  Yes, he was gifted.  And would have had a HoF career, had he played longer.  But I don't think he and Sayers are in the same boat.

7 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

IMO, Calvin Johnson shouldn't be a HOFer. He had little longevity, and no impact on helping the Lions making the postseason or winning championships. He's as bad as Luck almost IMO in not being qualified. I will forever be against Calvin making the HOF.

Imo, he is a HOF. I just don't understand putting him before Torry and Reggie and it was first ballot I believe.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Although I agree with you, we could, just for the sake of argument, compare Luck to Gale Sayers.

Sayers' career was also cut short due to injuries, and only played 5 full seasons.

He was one of the most electrifying players in the league, even though he played for some very bad Bears teams.

His 4,956 career rushing yards far overshadowed by the top RB's in NFL history.

Yet, he's in the HoF.  Why?  Because he was such an over the top amazing player, even for the short time he was in the league.

Now, was Luck as amazing a player as Sayers?  I don't think so.  Yes, he was gifted.  And would have had a HoF career, had he played longer.  But I don't think he and Sayers are in the same boat.

Sayers was good for his time, but it's a joke with hindsight that he's in the HOF. The HOF needs to have some standards.

3 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Imo, he is a HOF. I just don't understand putting him before Torry and Reggie and it was first ballot I believe.

IMO, he brought 0 value to the Lions. He played 9 seasons and padded his stats while helping the Lions accomplish nothing. 

6 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Gales Sayers- 5 year career.  By your reasoning he shouldn't be in the HOF. 

Completely different circumstances.   Sayers badly hurt his knee back around the late 60’s, when a knee injury for a great RB like him would be a career ender.   He came back from that to have more great years.   Sayers comeback was heroic.   Luck’s was not so much.   

Plus, the length of Luck’s career was not the only criteria.   The quality of his career was also a factor.   Luck wasn’t successful enough.   

• Like 1

Sayers went in 50 years ago. It doesn't seem like a reasonable comparison.

Some recent inductees with shorter primes would be Kurt Warner (two time league MVP, SB MVP, three SB appearances, 12 year career), and Edgerrin James (All Pro, Rookie of the Year, 4th in MVP voting, 11 year career).

I think comparing Luck's career and achievements with those guys shows a significant difference. 

Another comparison would be Patrick Willis. He was maybe the best linebacker in the NFL for several seasons in a row. He played 8 seasons, received some accolades, was well respected around the league, and retired abruptly at 29 years old. He's been HOF eligible four years in a row, and has not been inducted. He probably won't be inducted, despite having been an outstanding player. 

That's likely how it will be for Luck. Everyone acknowledges how good he was, but he has no meaningful accomplishments, he only played a few years, and he retired before he even really demonstrated how good he could be. I don't think he ever received a single MVP vote. There's just no way he'll be a HOFer.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

IMO, he brought 0 value to the Lions. He played 9 seasons and padded his stats while helping the Lions accomplish nothing. 

I wouldn't say zero value. The lions were the laughing stock of the NFL for the longest time. Making the playoffs alone as low a bar as that is means more then anything to that franchise. Also name a WR that got triple teamed and still just out jumped guys. He was basically a bigger stronger just as fast Randy Moss.

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

I think he's referring to more his career after the colts. Cards and Seahawk Edge was pretty lackluster.

First couple years with the cards, he wasn’t bad. That year with Seattle though was brutal. 

but look at any HoF other than Brady and you’ll see the stats drop off steadily with age. Especially for RBs

13 minutes ago, Superman said:

Sayers went in 50 years ago. It doesn't seem like a reasonable comparison.

Some recent inductees with shorter primes would be Kurt Warner (two time league MVP, SB MVP, three SB appearances, 12 year career), and Edgerrin James (All Pro, Rookie of the Year, 4th in MVP voting, 11 year career).

I think comparing Luck's career and achievements with those guys shows a significant difference. 

Another comparison would be Patrick Willis. He was maybe the best linebacker in the NFL for several seasons in a row. He played 8 seasons, received some accolades, was well respected around the league, and retired abruptly at 29 years old. He's been HOF eligible four years in a row, and has not been inducted. He probably won't be inducted, despite having been an outstanding player. 

That's likely how it will be for Luck. Everyone acknowledges how good he was, but he has no meaningful accomplishments, he only played a few years, and he retired before he even really demonstrated how good he could be. I don't think he ever received a single MVP vote. There's just no way he'll be a HOFer.

You could say the same about Bob Sanders too. Career cut short due to injuries but when he was healthy, man he could play. Bob is one of my favorite players of all time, but even he doesn’t deserve the HoF. Let’s not turn the HoF into a mockery like what NASCAR has done where basically a driver wins one race in their career and they’re in the HoF

• Like 2

On 7/12/2023 at 2:43 PM, NewColtsFan said:

I think if you start a thread about Andrew Luck, you get 100 different opinions and most are unfavorable.  

Some people would probably boo, hard to say if most would.  It might depend on how long they waited to do it

I also think if he played for any team in the league you would find a few that would boo.   Its not about Indianapolis at all, its about football fans being football fans.  there is no team in the league that wouldnt have at least some one booing like when he retired.

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We had a nice year in 2018 but once we went up against KC, most of us pretty much knew what the outcome would be. After 2014, for 3 years it got worse and worse. We had 1 rebound season but wasn't on the level of the Pats or Chiefs at that point. JMO.

So?   Who cares about one game?   That would be like saying 2014 wasn’t goid because the Colts got blown out in the championship game.  But you don’t make that argument.

It was a great season.   One that for some odd reason you don’t count as a great season.  

Strange.   Odd.   Head scratching. 

40 minutes ago, csmopar said:

You could say the same about Bob Sanders too. Career cut short due to injuries but when he was healthy, man he could play. Bob is one of my favorite players of all time, but even he doesn’t deserve the HoF. Let’s not turn the HoF into a mockery like what NASCAR has done where basically a driver wins one race in their career and they’re in the HoF

Sanders only played in 50 total games... At least he won a DPOY, and a SB.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

So?   Who cares about one game?   That would be like saying 2014 wasn’t goid because the Colts got blown out in the championship game.  But you don’t make that argument.

It was a great season.   One that for some odd reason you don’t count as a great season.  

Strange.   Odd.   Head scratching. 

Never said it wasn't a good season. It was a nice bounce back for Luck but I never thought we could win it all that season is all I am saying. In 2014, I felt like with the right breaks we could win it all. At that point, Luck had never even been injured and after starting 0-2, we cruised out to a 5-2 record and ran away with the division. 2018 reminded me of 2020, we were good but a long shot to win it all. In 2014, had it not been for 1 team = the Pats we would have been in the SB.