Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Conference Championship Games, Jan. 29, 2023, Discussion thread

NFLfan

Just now, richard pallo said:

He interviewed for a HC job I believe.  No I don’t want him.

He can move to Houston and be the OC of the Texans under DeMeco Ryans. Maybe? 

I still think some team should hire Josh McCown as QB coach. I think he will be a very good coach. 

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Sirriani would go for it on 4th and goal. That is what I would do.

I still believe in the Dungy approach. Take the points. I’d hate to look up in the 4th and you’re down when that earlier field goal would’ve had you ahead. 

1 minute ago, Smoke317 said:

I still believe in the Dungy approach. Take the points. I hate to look up in the 4th and your down when that earlier field goal would’ve had you ahead. 

I love Dungy but he was too conservative in his approach to scoring. I love the Doug Pederson and Sirriani approaches. 

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

What would make Pellisaro call him a bright offensive mind?  Really.

Many people agree. 

Just now, Happy2BeHere said:

McCarthy will now handle the playcalling. I don’t like him and I think he will make Dallas worse with his playcalling IMO. 

IIRC, Packers fans had grown tired of him. Right, @Arodgers12?

58 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

I can’t believe so many Colts fans are on here cheering for Burrow (a guy in our conference) to go to a 2nd straight Super Bowl and win it all.  You guys are seriously happy to create another Brady to block our path for the next decade?  That’s insanity.

I live 35 mins from Cincy and have a lot of family that are die hard Bengals fans (even through the hard years).  I'm happy for them to experience this. 

Mahomes was my fantasy QB and helped me win my league this year.    I'm conflicted in this game. haha

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

I don’t think you let good coaches leave.  It was the teams idea I would bet.

McCarthy was feeling the pressure. He was probably asked to make some changes. McCarthy is an offensive mind. It is easier to fire Moore than Quinn on defense.

3 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I love Dungy but he was too conservative in his approach to scoring. I love the Doug Pederson and Sirriani approaches. 

There’s a time and a place to go for it.  Even Dungy recognized that.  These days coaches rely on analytics over their instincts. Going for it on 4th down and goal from the 6 wasn’t a wise decision imo. It was smarter to take the 3.  All points matter and will help you win.  The ones you leave on the field will get you beat more often than not. Look at Staley (Chargers coach) & Frank. Gotta know when to hold ‘em and when to fold ‘em.  Can’t go all in every time you’re called. 

10 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

I still believe in the Dungy approach. Take the points. I’d hate to look up in the 4th and you’re down when that earlier field goal would’ve had you ahead. 

I think when there is a chance to get TDs, a team should go for it. If they miss it, the opposing team has to go the length of the field. If the opponent goes three and out, the team has a chance to get great field position. I think going for it on 4th down is a win-win decision in that situation. 

Just now, NFLfan said:

I think when there is a chance to get TDs, a team should go for it. If they miss it, the opposing team has to go the length of the field. If the opponent goes three and out, the team has a chance to get great field position. I think going for it on 4th down is a win-win decision in that situation. 

Looks like both teams are gonna choose to get their points whenever they are in range tonight.

5 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

There’s a time and a place to go for it.  Even Dungy recognized that.  These days coaches rely on analytics over their instincts. Going for it on 4th down and goal from the 6 wasn’t a wise decision imo. It was smarter to take the 3.  All points matter and will help you win.  The ones you leave on the field will get you beat more often than not. Look at Staley (Chargers coach) & Frank. Gotta know when to hold ‘em and when to fold ‘em.  Can’t go all in every time you’re called. 

Against the Giants or an offensively challenged team, I would kick the FG. Against a team like the Bengals, I want as many points as possible.

I don't know how long analytics have been popular. I have always thought going for in on 4th down deep in the opponent's territory was a good decision. I recall in 2013, the Vikings were playing the Bears who had a great offense at the time. They could score fast. The Vikings were up 3 with just over 2min to go. They have 4th and goal on about the 2 or 3 yard line. I said go for it. They went for the FG, bringing them up 6. A TD wins it for the Bears. And of course that is exactly what happened. 

(Did you see that? 4th Down TD!!!)

Archived