Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Draft Wishlist

What is your Colts wishlist for the draft? I’ll do mine by round each prospect is projected to go from what I’ve seen. 

Round 1

DT Jalen Carter

DE Will Anderson

QB CJ Stroud

CB Christian Gonzalez

Round 2

RT Darnell Wright

DE Felix Anudike

S/CB Antonio Johnson 

OT Matthew Bergeron

DE Andre Carter

Round 3

WR Zay Flowers

RT Warren McClendon

CB Tyrique Stevenson

QB Cameron Ward

OC Ricky Stromberg

DT Mazi Smith

Round 4

CB Devon Witherspoon

OT Carter Warren

DT Jacquelin Roy

OC Olu Oluwatimi

WR Dontayvion Wicks

OC Alex Forsyth

Round 5

QB Tanner Mckee

CB Garrett Williams

WR Parker Washington

WR Rakim Jarrett

OC/G Joe Tippmann

Round 6

Ainias Smith

OG Nick Broeker

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Round 1

-Stroud Or Levis, QB

Round 2

-Jaylen Hyatt, WR

Round 3

-John Michael-Schmitz, Center

-Cooper Beebe, OG

-Kyu Blue Kelly, CB

I like that list. I’d add:

Round 2

-Darnell Washington, TE

Round 3

-Zay Flowers, WR

I want a trade up in the 1st to land Young or Stroud.  Not sure what picks will be left after that trade, and a trade-down in the 2nd would probably happen to make up for lost picks,  but here’s some players I like for the various picks:

2: John Michael Schmitz, Darnell Wright, Andre Carter, Will McDonald IV, Derrick Hall, Eli Ricks

3: Matt Bergeron, Zion Nelson, Tre’Vius Hodges-Tomlinson, Calijah Kancey, Zacch Pickens

4) Isaiah McGuire, Nick Hampton, Riley Moss, Ryan Hayes, Tyler Steen

5) Jakorian Bennett, Colby Wooden, Zakhari Franklin

I would like to see the Colts trade up for Young. If not, pick up Hooker in round 2-3.

I like that many have Darnell Wright on their wish list for round two. As a Tennessee fan/graduate, this would be an outstanding addition to the OL. This would allow Smith to be moved back to guard and solidify the OL.

For now….

R1.   QB

R2.   DE

R3.   C or G

R4.   CB

R5.   CB

R6.   OL

R7.    LB

I hope we sign a FA WR as well as a FA C or G,   I think we’ll make moves (trade Kelly) so that we will need both a C and a G next year.  I don’t know if we bring back Ngokwe and if we do, I hope he is used more situationally and not as a 3-down DE.  

I hope we trade Buckner.  I’m a huge fan, but we will not get a better chance to get a good return for moving him.  Move Dayo to 3-tech and use the combo of our 2nd round DE plus others to staff the spot opposite Paye.   I expect both Okereke and Speed to return.   I expect to trade Moore and maybe even Gilmore which is why I address CB x2 on Day 3.

I think this will be the most consequential off-season in nearly 11 years of being a colts fan. 

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

For now….

R1.   QB

R2.   DE

R3.   C or G

R4.   CB

R5.   CB

R6.   OL

R7.    LB

I hope we sign a FA WR as well as a FA C or G,   I think we’ll make moves (trade Kelly) so that we will need both a C and a G next year.  I don’t know if we bring back Ngokwe and if we do, I hope he is used more situationally and not as a 3-down DE.  

I hope we trade Buckner.  I’m a huge fan, but we will not get a better chance to get a good return for moving him.  Move Dayo to 3-tech and use the combo of our 2nd round DE plus others to staff the spot opposite Paye.   I expect both Okereke and Speed to return.   I expect to trade Moore and maybe even Gilmore which is why I address CB x2 on Day 3.

I think this will be the most consequential off-season in nearly 11 years of being a colts fan. 

I agree we need to trade Buckner now while we can. He is a stud and great player but his value will only drop from here. I hope they trade Moore and Kelly as well. I don’t know about Gilmore. You need a vet around to help the young guys. 

We have no starting LCB – Dallis Flowers is not the long-term answer

Who can we get in FA vs draft as a starter? 

Emmanuel Mosley (49ers)

Rock Ya-Sin (Raiders)

Mike Hughes (Lions)

Tavierre Thomas (Texans)

Chandon Sullivan (Vikings)

Draft LCB options

LCB Devon Witherspoon (Illinois) Junior 91 DEF, 78.5 RDEF, 50.6 PRUSH, 91.4 COV – top draft choice as immediate starter

LCB Darrell Luter Jr. (South Alabama) only allowed a 26.7% catch rate and earned a 97.8 PFF grade in single coverage last season

LCB Nehemiah Shelton (San Jose St) has the size and hands decent depth player

LCB Derrick Langford Jr. (Washington St) - another depth player

LCB Quinyon Mitchell (Toledo) Sophomore 90.4 DEF, 74.8 RDEF, 58.8 PRUSH, 90.4 COV – draft eligible 2023?

Next position of need appears to be RDE will try to compile another list and post later

6 hours ago, OhioColt said:

Emmanuel Mosley (49ers)

Rock Ya-Sin (Raiders)

Mike Hughes (Lions)

Tavierre Thomas (Texans)

Draft LCB options

LCB Devon Witherspoon (Illinois) Junior 91 DEF, 78.5 RDEF, 50.6 PRUSH, 91.4 COV – top draft choice as immediate starter

LCB Darrell Luter Jr. (South Alabama) only allowed a 26.7% catch rate and earned a 97.8 PFF grade in single coverage last season

LCB Quinyon Mitchell (Toledo) Sophomore 90.4 DEF, 74.8 RDEF, 58.8 PRUSH, 90.4 COV – draft eligible 2023?

Next position of need appears to be RDE will try to compile another list and post later

Isiah Rogers and Gilmore are your outside corners. We need depth for sure but I’m not focusing on a LCB but rather all DB’s. 

Troy Hill

Cameron Sutton

Marcus Peters

I would not waste time with Rock. He was ok but I don’t see why he would want to come back. 

6 hours ago, OhioColt said:

Emmanuel Mosley (49ers)

Rock Ya-Sin (Raiders)

Mike Hughes (Lions)

Tavierre Thomas (Texans)

Draft LCB options

Rogers has a 82  pff grade  a stud

Round 1

1. Will Levis QB Kentucky
  2. Bryce Young QB Alabama
  3. CJ Stroud QB Ohio State
  4. Will Anderson DE Alabama

Round 2

1. Emmanuel Forbes CB Miss St
  2. Jalin Hyatt WR Tennessee
  3. Zay Flowers WR Boston College
  4. Isaiah Foskey DE Notre Dame

Round 3

1. Luke Wypler IOL Ohio St
  2. Chris Smith S Georgia
  3. Hendon Hooker QB Tennessee

11 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

Isiah Rogers and Gilmore are your outside corners. We need depth for sure but I’m not focusing on a LCB but rather all DB’s. 

Troy Hill

Cameron Sutton

Marcus Peters

I would not waste time with Rock. He was ok but I don’t see why he would want to come back. 

Rodgers stats came mostly from ST play kind of misleading but yes Gilmore playing RCB position is a 32 year old stud 

RDE or strong-side end looks like another area of need for the Colts.  Do we resign Ngakoue?  Do we have the cap space available to resign Ngakoue?  Doubts about resigning Banogu and/or Berry.  The only two RDE FA options that I like and found would be Marcus Davenport (Saints) and Chase Winovich (Browns).

For a Draft Wish List I like Thomas Incoom (Central Michigan) who was All-Gulf South Conference when he played at Valdosta State.  He is a developmental player with upside who needs coached up but could become an NFL starter.  Incoom's NFL comparison is Tarell Basham.  Projected Round 3 to 4.

Isaiah McGuire (Missouri) is another interesting target projected draft rounds 3-4.  Mitchell Agude (Miami) was an intriguing player last year with decent tangibles 40-dash speed, wingspan, arm and NFL height teams covet.  After transferring to Miami it doesn't look like he helped his draft stock and Agude projects to Round 7 or UDFA. 

14 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

Troy Hill

Cameron Sutton

Marcus Peters

Would love to have Sutton from a youth stand-point over Gilmore.  We would get a younger very comparable corner and the cap money saved by releasing Gilmore would mostly off-set signing Sutton. 

On 1/12/2023 at 10:16 AM, DeepseaColt said:

I live in the VA/MD area and there has been a lot of talk about LJ not wanting to re-sign with Baltimore. Would anyone want to give up the 4th, another pick, and likely a player(Moore), possibly more for him? He's still quite young and would certainly be an enticement for Harbaugh due to his success with Kaepernick at QB if we really wanted to lure him. 

On 1/12/2023 at 11:49 AM, chad72 said:

The team with the cap space and the draft equity is the Seahawks. They can afford to give Lamar a contract and contend right away.

On 1/14/2023 at 11:41 AM, BProland85 said:

What is your Colts wishlist for the draft? I’ll do mine by round each prospect is projected to go from what I’ve seen. 

Round 1

DT Jalen Carter

DE Will Anderson

QB CJ Stroud

CB Christian Gonzalez

Round 2

RT Darnell Wright

DE Felix Anudike

S/CB Antonio Johnson 

OT Matthew Bergeron

DE Andre Carter

Round 3

WR Zay Flowers

RT Warren McClendon

CB Tyrique Stevenson

QB Cameron Ward

OC Ricky Stromberg

DT Mazi Smith

Round 4

CB Devon Witherspoon

OT Carter Warren

DT Jacquelin Roy

OC Olu Oluwatimi

WR Dontayvion Wicks

OC Alex Forsyth

Round 5

QB Tanner Mckee

CB Garrett Williams

WR Parker Washington

WR Rakim Jarrett

OC/G Joe Tippmann

Round 6

Ainias Smith

OG Nick Broeker

YOu go best player available. IF your plan is not to get a Qb this year because you dont like them then you go BPA. I wouldnt be surprised with edge rusher and then make sure you have that Oline and wr help for next year when you draft a qb

On 1/17/2023 at 1:34 AM, NewColtsFan said:

For now….

R1.   QB

R2.   DE

R3.   C or G

R4.   CB

R5.   CB

R6.   OL

R7.    LB

I'm pretty much in the same mindset for my wish list. This seems like a pretty deep DE class so getting one in the 2nd seems fair. I also like the idea of getting some o-line help in that 3rd, 4th round area. If we manage to get a draft like this I'd say the mission was definitely accomplished as far as how much the draft can help us in the short and long term. 

3 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I'm pretty much in the same mindset for my wish list. This seems like a pretty deep DE class so getting one in the 2nd seems fair. I also like the idea of getting some o-line help in that 3rd, 4th round area. If we manage to get a draft like this I'd say the mission was definitely accomplished as far as how much the draft can help us in the short and long term. 

I just read yesterday that PFF views this years class of interior offensive linemen as the weakest class since PFF went into business in 2014.   They only have 5 IOL with Day one or Day two grades.  Everyone else is a Day three guy in their judgement.  

I’m not sure if other evaluators would agree, but that’s their view. 

That may put a crimp in the idea of using R3 to take a guard or center.   Hope not. 

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

I just read yesterday that PFF views this years class of interior offensive linemen as the weakest class since PFF went into business in 2014.   They only have 5 IOL with Day one or Day two grades.  Everyone else is a Day three guy in their judgement.  

That may put a crimp in the idea of using R3 to take a guard or center.   Hope not. 

Interesting. Is that due to coaching issues across the NCAA or just a lack of physical talent this year I wonder? 

4 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Interesting. Is that due to coaching issues across the NCAA or just a lack of physical talent this year I wonder? 

Don’t know.   There’s always weak positions in every draft.  Turns out IOL may be the weak position this year.   I’ll have to do more homework.  

Finally finished up my scouting reports for the season.  So before any extra bowl days, pro-days, and combine here is my current list and projections:

Round 1

1. Stay at Pick 4 and select best available QB as of right now learning towards Stroud
  2. CB Devon Witherspoon (Illinois)
  3. RG O'Cyrus Torrence (Florida)

Round 2 - could see us trade back

1. Edge Byron Young (Tennessee) - Too many upcoming DE FA
  2. CB Clark Phillips (Utah) 
  3. CB Kelee Ringo (Georgia) 
  4. WR Josh Downs (UNC) - if we do not resign P. Campbell

Round 3

1.  DI Jonah Tavai (San Diego St) - Buckner's future replacement 
  2. SS/FS Christopher Smith (Georgia) 
  3. FS Quindell Johnson (Memphis) 
  4. DI Jaquelin Roy (LSU) - depth/replace Stewart
  5. DI Gervon Dexter Sr. (Florida) - depth/replace Stewart
  6. Edge Thomas Incoom (Central Michigan) - All-Gulf South Conference at Valdosta St – developmental upside player who needs coached up but could become an NFL starter – compared to Tarell Basham

Round 4

1.  MLB Dorian Williams (Tulane) - 2019 tied for the second-most passing stops with 14 in FBS.  In 2020 had a 90.2 pass coverage grade
  2. OC Joe Tippmann (Wisconsin) - In 2021 had PFF offensive grade of 85.1 with 77.8 PBLK / 82.5 RBLK
  3. NCB Jartavius Martin (Illinois) - 2022 Earned PFF TOW 4 and 7 honors - PFF grade 73.2 - see Kenny Moore status
  4.  Edge Viliami Fehoko (San Jose St) - 2022 Earned PFF TOW 9 honors

Round 5

1. LS Robert Soderholm III (Virginia Military Institute) - 4x All-American awards and 2 First-team All-Southern Connecticut Conference Awards – hasn’t botched a snap at the collegiate level – Replaces Luke Rhodes (30) will be a FA in 2023.  In certain scouting circles Soderholm is already being tabbed as a once in a lifetime generational player who will be the most sought-after long snapping prospect to enter the draft in quite some time.
  2. CB Riley Moss (Iowa) - In 2021 Moss earned a zone defense coverage grade of 81.5
  3. CB Mekhi Garner (LSU) - While playing at Louisiana he earned an 83.5 coverage grade vs Group 5

Round 6 - CB zone

1. CB Starling Thomas (UAB) - Very fast 4.25 40-time with great hand size.  QB catch ratings of 74.2, 95.4, 93.3 and 62.9
  2. CB Darrell Luter Jr. (South Alabama) - Last year only allowed a 26.7% catch rate while earning a 97.8 PFF grade in single coverage
  3. CB D'Shawn Jamison (Texas) Great 4.40 40-time and arms.  Good-Average range on wingspan but no best hand size.  Excels in zone coverage.  QB catch ratings of 74.1, 81.7, 131.1 (2021), and 57.6 in 2022.  Earned PFF TOW 6 honors
  4. CB Darius Rush (SC) - Earned PFF TOW 8 honors
  5. CB Nehemiah Shelton (San Jose St)

Round 7

1. LG Javion Cohen (Alabama) - Earned PFF TOW 12 honors and earned a 72.5 PFF grade
  2. SS Daniel Scott (California) - very slow 4.64 40-time but has great hand, height, and weight measurements.  Earned PFF TOW 4 and 12 honors.  QB catch ratings of 42.4, 39.6, 62.4 and 90.9 in 2022.  Cons misses too many tackles and a bit handsy for penalties
  3. Edge David Perales (Fresno St)
  4. SS Bralen Trahan (Louisiana) - Slow 4.65 40-time. Earned PFF TOW 7 honors.  Limited action as a Freshman in 2018 but had a QB catch rating of 16.7.  Rest of rating 58.0, 69.3, 98.2 and 72.9 this season.

On 1/19/2023 at 2:32 PM, NewColtsFan said:

I’ve read that Guard, WR, and TE’s are not strong this year based on the last 4-5 years. Obviously something’s change after workouts but you have some “experts” claiming only two WR’s might go in the first round (Addison and Johnston). Hard to believe and crazy if it happened. Obviously players move through out the process and some just get over drafted based on position. Opposite of that I have seen CB being the strongest this year with Edge and IDL behind that. I love to see how things shake out sense we are so early in the process.  

Archived