Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Indy turns the league down to host AFCCG

chad72

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

For some reason, it’s not letting me link the thread 

Yeah, I saw that but this is the first time I am hearing someone chime in about Nashville though. Since they were looking for an outdoor stadium, I had mentioned Panthers' stadium followed by Nashville based on how the Titans/Jaguars went.

Now, Nashville probably wins out, IMO with decent January like cold playoff weather.

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yeah, I saw that but this is the first time I am hearing someone chime in about Nashville though. Since they were looking for an outdoor stadium, I had mentioned Panthers' stadium followed by Nashville based on how the Titans/Jaguars went.

Now, Nashville probably wins out, IMO with decent January like cold playoff weather.

We are hosting a mighty Volleyball tournament is why we turned it down. Randy Stoklos is smiling somewhere. Nashville would be perfect, cool weather, outdoors, and both are somewhat close to Buffalo and KC and Cincy.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

I think they want a mid west city between the three cities to minimize a travel advantage more than an outdoor stadium.  The fact they started with Indy and Detroit seems to also suggest they didn’t care about indoor or outdoor or maybe they preferred an indoor stadium but the two cities that made sense turned them down.  Still I think the over riding factor here is putting it in the middle of the country which is why they are now looking at a place like Nashville rather than LA or New Orleans that are domes but could require one team to travel way further than the other.  

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think they want a mid west city between the three cities to minimize a travel advantage more than an outdoor stadium.  The fact they started with Indy and Detroit seems to also suggest they didn’t care about indoor or outdoor or maybe they preferred an indoor stadium but the two cities that made sense turned them down.  Still I think the over riding factor here is putting it in the middle of the country which is why they are now looking at a place like Nashville rather than LA or New Orleans that are domes but could require one team to travel way further than the other.  

If you're flying private, is there a significant difference between a 5 hour flight and a 3 hour flight?

I think LA is probably eliminated because the Chargers are in the playoffs, but if it's Chiefs/Bills, does it really matter that it's not equal distance between the two? 

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

If you're flying private, is there a significant difference between a 5 hour flight and a 3 hour flight?

I think LA is probably eliminated because the Chargers are in the playoffs, but if it's Chiefs/Bills, does it really matter that it's not equal distance between the two? 

If there wasn’t teams wouldn’t talk about east coast teams having an advantage when west coast teams come east and vice versa due to travel and time zone changes.  

The Chargers being in the playoffs wouldn’t impact this as in order for this to happen the Chargers would be elminated.

41 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

If there wasn’t teams wouldn’t talk about east coast teams having an advantage when west coast teams come east and vice versa due to travel and time zone changes.  

The Chargers being in the playoffs wouldn’t impact this as in order for this to happen the Chargers would be elminated.

You're right, if the Chargers were in the game the scenario wouldn't matter.

But team travel is team travel, and it's a lot different in the regular season than in the playoffs. Some, like Seattle, tend to have way more total travel in a season than other teams, and I get that it adds up.

In this case, since they're picking a neutral site, both teams would be travelling. I get that a quick 45 minute plane ride is different than going across the country, but does it really matter if it's equal distance for both teams? Especially if you're flying charter, I just wonder if it's not really a big deal. Maybe the other factor is fan travel? 

Edit: By the way, I think the shorter the travel, the better. For both teams. It's probably as simple as that. Since the affected teams are all Midwest or East, keeping the game in the Midwest makes a lot of sense. 

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

wonder if it's not really a big deal. Maybe the other factor is fan travel? 

Bingo. You’ll want to maximize profits as much as possible honestly. Having a game in LA is great for the city and all but you won’t have that many Bills and Chiefs fans there, which is honestly not fair to Bills fans. 

Archived