Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts at Raiders - Game Film Study

BlueShoe

I am going to try something new here. Instead of providing a summary of the game or giving little nuggets in threads already created, I am going to break the offense down into several posts within a single thread. I will go as long as I can. Probably won't make it all the way through the game, at least not tonight. Creating a document of the game as I go, will certainly make it take longer than usual for me. I can usually gather the info I need from a game in about 2 hours... This could take several hours to complete. Not going to promise this will be entertaining to everyone, and not going to promise to do this ever again. I happen to have a little extra time tonight, so what the hell?

If you are into being a football nerd, this thread might be for you. If you have the game taped, or the All22, then feel free to follow along with me as I go. Or feel free to pick it up as I run out of gas. :D

First Drive

Braden Smith is called for a false start... 

First play 
11 personnel
Taylor, Granson
Dulin, Pittman, Campbell

It is a quick out (bubble screen) to Parris... It is blocked up really well. Q actually runs Raimann over, and they both fall down. Q is looking downfield at the linebacker and does not see Raimann get caught up with the RDE... They both go down. 

Dulin and Pittman seal it off well, and Parris is left one-on-one with safety Tre’von Moehrig. Play gains 10 yards...

image.png.346862d41678013dcaa30c83a42efeb6.png

Second play
12 Personnel
Taylor, Granson, MAC
Pittman, Campbell

This play is out of the Peyton era here... Little stretch play that Peyton and Edge used to run... It is a power left run, with both MAC and Granson to the left of Raimann. 

I get excited when tight ends block well... Unfortunately, this was not one of those plays to get excited about. Granson struggles to seal the edge and misses the block on Chandler Jones, while MAC does provide some support to Raimann to sort of help block LB Jayon Brown. But they are not able to hold that double team long enough. 

You have to be perfect with your angles when you are trying to take a guy like Chandler Jones, out of the play. 

No gain on the play. But this is just how close it is sometimes. A good block from Granson on Jones (and holding up the double team on Jayon Brown)... JT would have been in the secondary. 

Execution is not always about who is the strongest player. It is mostly about taking the correct angles... And neither tight end had the correct angle with their blocks on this play. 

image.png.92eae4cc7a517d5da812e43d7b586bb3.png

Third play
11 personnel
Taylor, Granson
Pierce, Pittman, Campbell

Granson and Campbell both hit the flats while Piece and Pittman run crossing routes over the middle. Pittman gets stuck in the trash, but Pierce gets some separation. Ball is well thrown, but dropped by Pierce. 

Nice job by the offensive line to create a pocket for Ryan... I noticed this trend watching the game live, and we will see it throughout this game film... Defenders are testing Raimann's strength. They like to bullrush him. Bilal Nichols was bench pressing him here. I think when Raimann learns to stay lower and trusts himself to anchor down... we are going to see him vastly improve. Next time you watch a Colts game, notice how often he is stood straight up like this. As an offensive lineman, you don't want to be in this position, because it is how you get pushed backwards. 

image.png.f5a245deb053a71ad40c55b0a5240835.png

Second Drive

First play 
11 personnel
Taylor, Kalinic

Kalinic puts a nice block on Maxx Crosby... This play only gains 3 yard, but Kalinic does a very nice job sealing off the backside here. Q takes a hand to the face...

You might wonder why JT is not hitting that hole right away... This what makes JT so special. He is trying to bait Jayon Brown (50) into hitting the wrong gap. 

image.png.84efe69636409f2659ef1c7d42f09f12.png

Second play 
11 personnel
Taylor, MAC
Dulin, Pittman, Campbell

This is play designed full of hot routes... Something we were not seeing much of with Reich... 

MAC and Pittman both sit down with curls, Parris hits the flat.. All 3 of these routes are about 7 yards downfield. Dulin runs a little deeper curl, about 10 yards or so. 

This play was designed to beat the blitz, and that is exactly what it did. Raiders sent 5, and that left Jayon Brown forced to cover 2 guys (MAC and Pittman). Easy pitch and catch for Ryan and Pittman here. 

image.png.ef5695055cb8d4594c4090aefe5144bf.png

Third play

12 Personnel
Taylor, Granson, MAC
Pittman, Campbell

Pittman motions back inside... But he is not able to get a good block on safety Tre’von Moehrig. Granson barely slows Maxx Crosby down... That is a whiff, and something the entire offense got to see in the film review. Might have been a couple of chuckles from the team on this one... Granson was literally looking at the ground trying to make his block. I would tell Granson to just stand in front and make them run you over. He over pursues the block, and Crosby just shoves him out of the way, using Granson's own momentum against him. 

On the surface, this looks similar to the play that JT took to the house later in the game... But this one is not blocked up well enough. Nevertheless, JT manages to get 5 yards on this play... He does this by manipulating the defense on where is actually going. 

This is JT making something out of nothing. This should have been no gain on the play. 

image.png.e1065444b3d737f427a881e2c993ff0f.png

Fourth play

11 personnel (Pinter at end)

Taylor, Pinter
Dulin, Pittman, Campbell

This is an unbalanced line, with a caveat... Pinter has reported eligible and playing tight end here. I remember at about this time, we saw Saturday walking up to someone and looking at their tablet... He was probably wanting to take a peek at the struggles we were having to really get a good block on Crosby. Our tight ends were struggling to slow Crosby up. Makes sense why they decided to bring in Pinter here. 

However, Pinter did not have much luck either... A better angle by Pinter, and JT would have had a huge collision with JT and corner Sidney Jones. Crosby sheds the block and makes the play. Pittman was in position to get a nice block on safety Tre’von Moehrig. 

Play gains 3 yards...

image.png.c234d72b3070ed16c5449ad220155d91.png

Fifth play

12 personnel (Pinter at end)

Taylor, Granson, Pinter

Pittman, Campbell

Colts get a little creative here by showing power to the left. The entire play is misdirection with Ryan rolling out to the right. Parris and Pittman rub the defenders, leaving Pittman open in the right flat for an easy 6 yard pitch and catch. Heck of a play call on 3rd and 2. 

Well blocked by the entire line. I think the Colts were tired of Crosby disrupting things... They put 4 guys on him. :D

image.png.46e8479d689d6e48ba7ec174163f4d43.png

Sixth play

11 personnel
Taylor, MAC

I am not a huge fan of running much out of 11 personnel... One reason is because receivers normally don't so a very good job blocking a safety. Pittman had no chance against safety Duron Harmon on this play. We were lucky Pittman did not get called for a block in the back. 

JT somehow finds his way back to line of scrimmage and gains a yard on this play. 

image.png.1deeadc89b2dd86b1f4653d6ec7d1964.png

Seventh play

11 personnel
Taylor, Granson

This is Matt Ryan at his best. His accuracy and ball placement is on display here... This play was designed to go to Granson all the way. Granson runs an inside curl, with Pittman on a 9 route decoy (to clear it out). Granson never even has to sit down on the route, because the ball is delivered perfectly, in stride. He finds the sideline and Pittman clears it enough to break it open. This 5 yard pass travels about 15 yards and ends up being a 32 yard gain. This is the west coast part of the offense. 

image.png.0c52a48d92a4b77c77d935f44cc69b92.png

Eighth play

11 personnel
Taylor, MAC

This is a very creative play, and it fooled the Raiders defense. 

Pittman goes in motion from right to left and the ball is snapped as soon as he passes the RT... This can be a tough spot for a defense. We see the Chiefs do this a lot, and they will quick pitch it to the receiver (or sometimes Kelce). I believe this is a play we stole from them, and it is an option play. Matt Ryan is clearly reading the LDE, and when he see's that MAC is in position to block Crosby, he decides to give it to JT. Play gains 7 yards and was executed extremely well. 

image.png.ece9fd4866d7be482f13cbc862dcbf81.png

Ninth play

12 Personnel
Taylor, Granson, MAC
Pittman, Campbell

This is the exact same play we ran on the second offensive play of the game... The old stretch play. Raiders LB Luke Masterson (59) saves a touchdown here. There is just not enough room for JT to make him miss... They are one-on-one in that hole. 

Loss of a yard on the play. 

image.png.3de66045414af9c6c0a99e7c2ef89555.png

Tenth play

11 personnel

Taylor, MAC

Empty backfield... JT motions right to left. 

Pierce runs a post (he is doubled on the play), Parris and MAC run curls to the end zone, and Pittman runs a dig route... All covered... Ryan dumps it to JT.. Should have been a 2 yard loss, but JT breaks a tackle and almost scores. 

image.png.6109f72a5e71f8cebf7799a0b7565453.png

26 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Frank, is that you? 

He is not wrong. JT and the RBs should touch the ball about 35 times every game unless you have a Top 3 run D in the league you are going against. Ds like the Cowboys, Eagles, Giants in the NFC East can all be run on, and the Texans remaining on our schedule too. The Steelers, Vikings and the Chargers, you have to mix it up far more towards the pass, IMO. Ultimately, it would depend on how our D can keep the other QB contained because the run goes out the window if you are down 2 scores for the most part.

I will try to get another drive in this morning... There could be some wait time in between plays though. 

Third Drive

First Play

11 personnel
Taylor, MAC
Dulin, Pittman, Pierce

This is the High-Low concept…

This is all about reading the outside corner. Matt Ryan reads single high safety, and the Raiders give a man look. If the corner gives the outside receiver some cushion, then dump it to the back (in stride) and allow the receiver's to block it up. If the corner presses, then float a 50/50 ball over the top but get it there fast before the safety can make up ground. 

This is a well designed play that got the ball to JT in space and gains 12 yards. 

image.png

No Play (Penalty on Q for being too far downfield)
11 personnel
Taylor, MAC
Dulin, Pittman, Pierce

This next play is an RPO… And this is what can go wrong with RPO’s… An offensive lineman gets too far down the field... Probably a play where Ryan should have just given it to the JT anyway… JT had some space on this play… However, it can be easy to criticize these types of decisions because we know what the result was. 

Q is clearly too far down the field when Matt lets it rip. 

image.png.6fd77c965b82fc6cc4177b55fd2ba08b.png

34 minutes ago, chad72 said:

He is not wrong. JT and the RBs should touch the ball about 35 times every game unless you have a Top 3 run D in the league you are going against. Ds like the Cowboys, Eagles, Giants in the NFC East can all be run on, and the Texans remaining on our schedule too. The Steelers, Vikings and the Chargers, you have to mix it up far more towards the pass, IMO. Ultimately, it would depend on how our D can keep the other QB contained because the run goes out the window if you are down 2 scores for the most part.

If your line can actually block yes if not it’s foolish it’s literally how Frank was doing it at times lol. That said we couldn’t block either and he’d have us throwing 50+ times too.. just poor coaching 

Second Play
11 personnel
Taylor, Kalinic

This next play is hilarious! Obviously Kalinic is a little excited to be playing in his first NFL game… This is his second appearance on offense. I wish I could show the video of this, and even more I wish I was watching this game film with the team. No doubt they laughed about this for a while… I bet there was not a player in the room who could contain their laughter on this one… I missed this on the live feed, but just saw it and laughed for 5 minutes.

Kalinic motions right (outside) to left and sets up behind Braden Smith. At the snap of the ball, he cuts through the backfield as fast as he can and dives toward the RDE (Chandler Jones). I would love to know what Jones was thinking as this dude is diving straight at him. He is probably thinking, what the hell is this dumb * rookie doing!

It was an effective block (even though Kalinic never really touched Jones). Mostly because it probably startled Chandler Jones. I am pretty sure Kalinic tried to trip him afterwards too. 

JT gains 3 yards on the play. 

image.png.5f08ad0ebe2212686a82a7d5be8b2e94.png

Third Play
11 personnel
Taylor, MAC

Bubble screen to Campbell for a one-yard gain. MAC gets a good block on safety Duron Harmon (highlighted). Braden Smith misses his block (in space) on Jayon Brown. Pittman is in great position to block corner Sam Webb, until Parris attempts to bounce it outside. 

I am not sure what the PFF grades are, but MAC is probably our best blocking tight end, and he is hit and miss, at best. Occasionally, he does get a good block. He blocked Crosby one-on-one (which is a big ask), earlier in the game. He has failed several times as well, though. 

image.png.89a09a5c9f30dd09cf4dddf1264532e8.png

Fourth Play
11 personnel
Taylor, Granson
Dulin, Pittman, Campbell

Parris Campbell really impresses on this next play. Sidney Jones is all over him… Held him for 5 yards. Yet Parris is still able to get separation and make the catch for nice 15-yard gain. It appears to be a dig route that Parris was not able to fully run. Nice protection by the offensive line and from Matt Ryan to see Parris come open. Sidney Jones was flagged on the play, but the Colts declined it. 

Outstanding third down conversion. 

Look at this separation... Not bad for a guy who got held for half the route. 

image.png.68a0b4d9062697176d135abc6b24c5dd.png

Dang dude.  That's hard core.  Nice. 

I wish I could work a computer like that lol. 

18 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Third Play
11 personnel
Taylor, MAC

Bubble screen to Campbell for a one-yard gain. MAC gets a good block on safety Duron Harmon (highlighted). Braden Smith misses his block (in space) on Jayon Brown. Pittman is in great position to block corner Sam Webb, until Parris attempts to bounce it outside. 

I am not sure what the PFF grades are, but MAC is probably our best blocking tight end, and he is hit and miss, at best. Occasionally, he does get a good block. He blocked Crosby one-on-one (which is a big ask), earlier in the game. He has failed several times as well, though. 

image.png.89a09a5c9f30dd09cf4dddf1264532e8.png

MAC graded really really well as a blocker in the past.    That always surprised me from a basketball player.   Most of those guys were pass catchers first and often poor blockers. 

Fifth Play
11 personnel
Moss, MAC
Dulin, Pittman, Pierce

Pittman in motion from left to right. Sets up outside of Braden Smith. 

Quenton Nelson is bad man! I love his blocking highlights… This one might make the reel. 

Kyle Peko is 6’1” and 305 pounds. He is basically a bowling ball full of muscle. Q moves this man 6 yards out of the play. Creates a huge hole for Moss to run through. From Raimann’s cheek to MAC’s cheek, that's about of a third of the Raiders midfield logo. 

This only nets a 4-yard gain, but it is a beauty. 

image.png.b0e9a04378dfc831cbcfa6cac5f0b2e1.png

Sixth Play
11 personnel
Taylor, MAC
Dulin, Pittman, Campbell

Quenton Nelson was starting to heat up… The entire offensive line was exploding off the line. The Colts are very dangerous with JT running the ball and when Q is getting downfield like this. 

Linebacker Luke Masterson went for a ride on the Q-Train… Welcome to the NFL, Rookie! 

Gain of 13 yards on 2nd and 6. 

image.png.e68084ee17f1ded0eeb4f7553ff2de7e.png

Seventh Play
11 personnel
Taylor, MAC
Dulin, Pittman, Campbell

This was a nice first down play, to keep the Colts ahead of the chains. 

I really like how the game plan was to insert a lot of curl routes… I complained about not having hot routes in the Pats game… This absolutely helps the offensive line. We had a lot of success in the Peyton years with these button hooks, comebacks, and curl type of routes. It really helps the quarterback by creating quick outlets to go with the ball. 

Look at this pocket the offensive line creates for Matt Ryan. Pass is completed to Pittman for a 7-yard gain. 

image.png.fb26396c1c1b58c17f23ac24f5f02f5d.png

Eighth Play
12 personnel (Pinter at end)
Taylor, MAC, Pinter
Pittman, Campbell

Pinter is in at end, and reports as eligible. Does a good job against Jayon Brown too. 

However, MAC whiffs on a block, and Crosby explodes across the backfield. JT had no chance on this play. Just a great play by Crosby, and a terrible block by MAC.  

MAC was left in the dust and had to watch the rest of this play. 

If anyone ever wondered how good Maxx Crosby is... He is a monster in run defense. 

image.png.5a21b9cdf09e106a8eb292dfe3457e64.png

Ninth Play
11 personnel
Taylor, Granson

Raiders corner Sam Webb gets away with pass interference here. I am not complaining about this, because they allowed it on both sides… They let them play. The Colts did this too… I am good with it, when the strike zone is the same for both teams. 

image.png.f5dba847bada2f16b7ba3169a3b2c573.png

Archived