Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL kickoff thread: Bills@ Rams

Happy2BeHere

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would be the one laughing because Pete in his prime was the best, I have watched Tennis since the McEnroe/Borg days. I have seen them all. Going by Grand Slams and the main 2 are Wimbledon and the US Open, Federer only has 1 more over Pete but he has played much longer so he should have more. Federer has played many years longer so of course he has more wins. Saying Federer is better than Pete is like someone trying to say LeBron is better than Jordan. LeBron has better overall stats but it is because he has played longer, we all know Jordan was better, at least I do. I would take Magic over LeBron as well. I am talking prime vs prime when each as their peak, I am taking Pete by my eye test,. Now when it came to the French Open, Nadal is the King there. Federer vs Pete would be basically 50/50 = Wimbledon or US Open but if I had to bet on it, I am taking Pete. Boris Becker who was stronger than everyone dominated Wimbledon and Pete made him look foolish in the 1995 Finals. 

Pete couldn't play longer because his game was built around his serve and volleying, and that caught up with back issues for him. Federer was lighter on his feet, and yes I am talking prime too. Federer clearly had a better all round game and I will take Agassi's professional word over your eye test any day of the week, sorry, have to disagree strongly here. At least you watch tennis, unlike a lot of Americans, I will take that for the sport. :) 

Now, back to the Bills. The best team doesn't always win the SB. Bills' nemesis are still the Chiefs, and they may feature in the AFCCG, assuming Chiefs get over their Bengals' hurdle. 

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Pete couldn't play longer because his game was built around his serve and volleying, and that caught up with back issues for him. Federer was lighter on his feet, and yes I am talking prime too. Federer clearly had a better all round game and I will take Agassi's professional word over your eye test any day of the week, sorry, have to disagree strongly here. At least you watch tennis, unlike a lot of Americans, I will take that for the sport. :) 

It is like splitting hairs really and I respect Agassi, he was another great player that Pete had to deal with. Of course Agassi knows more than me but Players say things all the time. Michael Jordan once said, Kobe would beat him one on one if they both played in their primes, I know he doesn't believe that lmao . He just respected him a lot. Kobe would give him a challenge though IMO.  

When it comes to Tennis, any top 5 list could vary with Pete, Federer, Nadal, Djovokic, and either Borg or McEnroe in it. I think Becker belongs in that mix too.

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It is like splitting hairs really and I respect Agassi, he was another great player that Pete had to deal with. Of course Agassi knows more than me but Players say things all the time. Michael Jordan once said, Kobe would beat him one on one if they both played in their primes, I know he doesn't believe that lmao . He just respected him a lot. Kobe would give him a challenge though IMO.  

When it comes to Tennis, any top 5 list could vary with Pete, Federer, Nadal, Djovokic, and either Borg or McEnroe in it. I think Becker belongs in that mix too.

Becker, from a talent point of view. He was my favorite growing up. However, he never had the dedication to the sport that Sampras had, otherwise would have won more. Agassi, he played around too much early on in his life and he had a resurgence in his late 20s when he started re-dedicating himself to the sport and started winning again. He came on as too flamboyant and arrogant (Agassi) to the tour as a teenager but later found out your tennis life span is 10-15 years and years lost without taking it seriously costs you later. So he won about 8 Grand Slams but Agassi would have won more if he was as dedicated from start to finish like Sampras was, same with Becker. Plus Becker just came off the rails personally too once he left tennis, I feel for him.

So, a Top 5 or 10 list has to take into account how dedicated one was to the sport. That is why Agassi, in his own admission does not belong, rightfully so, while Laver, Borg, McEnroe, Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, Pete, and even Lendl and Connors all belong in the Top 10, IMO. Anyways, let us not derail this thread.

Nice talking tennis for a change. :) 

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Becker, from a talent point of view. He was my favorite growing up. However, he never had the dedication to the sport that Sampras had, otherwise would have won more. Agassi, he played around too much early on in his life and he had a resurgence in his late 20s when he started re-dedicating himself to the sport and started winning again. He came on as too flamboyant and arrogant (Agassi) to the tour as a teenager but later found out your tennis life span is 10-15 years and years lost without taking it seriously costs you later. So he won about 8 Grand Slams but Agassi would have won more if he was as dedicated from start to finish like Sampras was, same with Becker. Plus Becker just came off the rails personally too once he left tennis, I feel for him.

So, a Top 5 or 10 list has to take into account how dedicated one was to the sport. That is why Agassi, in his own admission does not belong, rightfully so, while Borg, McEnroe, Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, Pete all belong in the Top 10. Anyways, let us not derail this thread. Nice talking tennis for a change. :) 

Great stuff. Man you know your tennis, it is rare that I can find someone to talk about Tennis. Becker was a beast by the way :thmup:. I suck at Tennis haha . I tried playing a few times and I was bad. Love watching though because it is one on one. Thanks for the chat.

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Great stuff. Man you know your tennis, it is rare that I can find someone to talk about Tennis. Becker was a beast by the way :thmup:. I suck at Tennis haha . I tried playing a few times and I was bad. Love watching though because it is one on one. Thanks for the chat.

Yeah, tennis, like a lot of hand eye coordination sports, you got to start early. I still remember my very first tennis camp. I went in there thinking I will play tennis right off the bat. The coach said to join the others taking 6 laps around the stadium. I was huffing and puffing after that. Then he asked us all to jump rope a 1000 times to build the twitch muscles. Then we did the short sprint drills where you get 10 tennis balls back and forth from one side of the tennis court to another. Then he asked us to go home with the morning session done and told us "if your physical fitness is not there and your body won't cooperate, your tennis won't cooperate" :). Then the afternoon session is when we actually played tennis. The morning laps and jump ropes got easier with time but those lessons, I still teach my daughter 35 plus years later after learning to play.

Scrolling through two pages of tennis garbage to find an intelligent comment about last night was A WASTE of my valuable time.
 Thanks for the couple good posts that were there.

Josh Allen was showing some great decision making, great arm talent, and greatness throwing into very tight windows. With his movement in the pocket and out of it... he is Special.

All the physicality and the violence of the game was shown by these teams.

Just wondering can our guys play like a bunch of "mad dogs"?

17 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Scrolling through two pages of tennis garbage to find an intelligent comment about last night was A WASTE of my valuable time.

Josh Allen was showing some great decision making, great arm talent, and greatness throwing into very tight windows. With his movement in the pocket and out of it... he is Special.

i agree, too much tennis.   I will only watch women's tennis  :hat:

27 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

I don't know much about tennis, so most of the conversation was lost on me as well... I agree, the defenses last night were on full display with strength and brutality. 

3 minutes ago, King Colt said:

I loved Josh Allen's Stiff arm on the Rams defender. He looks more like a tight end.

Yeah, he won me over last night with that move. He and Von Miller were determined to win that game. 

30 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

I'm rarely referred to as intelligent. :default_20smile:

Thanks! :hat:

7 minutes ago, King Colt said:

I loved Josh Allen's Stiff arm on the Rams defender. He looks more like a tight end.

To our Colts defense, I mentioned this before…be prepared to do the “Polamalu Takedown” with Allen’s

stiff arm if he runs your way. It starts as a punch then a battering ram. No matter how strong your neck is you will be controlled!

Someday that arm may end up in a sling.

He does run like a tight end but quarterbacks that like to run increase the risk of injury and a shorter career in the NFL.

Go Fans and Go Colts!:coltshelmet:

1 hour ago, Gramz said:

I'm rarely referred to as intelligent. :default_20smile:

Thanks! :hat:

I'm rarely referred to as nice, but i like to dole it out now and again. :lecture:

And i early on recognized your efforts to encourage getting along, so may i say you are no doubt thoughtful and kind to boot!  :nose: oops i hit the wrong one. How do i get that offa there?   :spit:    Go  :colts:

2 hours ago, RollerColt said:

I don't know much about tennis, so most of the conversation was lost on me as well... I agree, the defenses last night were on full display with strength and brutality. 

Yeah, he won me over last night with that move. He and Von Miller were determined to win that game. 

When Von ducked the chip then ducked the T and was on the QB in a heartbeat... THAT was some $120M black panther Football. I had NO idea he still had that in him. 
 Josh Allen is like watching Doc Goodellensteins Mahommes/Henry Superhero. This is my new Larry Bird. I GOTTA WATCH THIS!!! Just send me the bill!  I guess i did with PRIME.  

17 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Yes, his turnovers aren't a problem, I'm glad he takes it as part of his game because if he starts to worry about making mistakes, he wouldn't be what he's today. 

Exactly. You are right on point. Many fans put too much value in avoiding making mistakes. If a QB is afraid to make mistakes, he will not take chances that may result in great plays. It is the silly mistakes that bother me. 

(Zimmer would not like Josh Allen :peek:)

16 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Monica Seles and Steffi Graf rivalry would've been great if not for the unfortunate stabbing. 

People here in India still name their daughters Steffi or Graf, especially when Western names are very rare here among non-Christians. 

Monica Seles should have been the best. She was great. Lots of great players in the 80s.

12 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

fav personalities.. so more, but.... 

Guys

McEnroe

Connors

Agassi

Sampras

Borg

Courier

Becker

Lendl

Girls

Graf

Evert

Austin

Seles

Capriati 

Martina

And had a crush on Amanda Coetzer lol

Many male tennis fans liked Gabriela Sabatini.

I liked almost all those you mentioned. I remember Amanda Coetzer's name but cannot recall anything significant about her. 

Many fans liked Sanchez Vicario. I'm sure there are others I forgot.  

There was this guy that I was no fan of but I don't know why. He may have beaten my favorite player Becker once and I grew to dislike that guy. His name was Henri Leconte, a French tennis player. 

3 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Many male tennis fans liked Gabriela Sabatini.

I liked almost all those you mentioned. I remember Amanda Coetzer's name but cannot recall anything significant about her. 

Many fans liked Sanchez Vicario. I'm sure there are others I forgot.  

There was this guy that I was no fan of but I don't know why. He may have beaten my favorite player Becker once and I grew to dislike that guy. His name was Henri Leconte, a French tennis player. 

Crushed on Sabatini too lol...  Coetzer, not great (peaked top #5ish), but personality, and hot!! "The Little Assassin"

23 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Do you think he will get hurt? I hope not. He is so much fun to watch play. 

I do.  I hope not as well but I think it’s more likely than not that he will.  The Bills are playing Russian Roulette with one of top quarterbacks in the league.  I don’t understand it.  On top of that he likes to run so for me it’s just a matter of time before he gets hurt.  

12 hours ago, richard pallo said:

The Bills are still running designed run plays for Allen.  They are going to regret it before the season is over.

I think Josh Allen has to evolve more like Mahomes who has now become a "move around to pass first before running as the last option" QB over the last 2 years. It is a process that Andy Reid and Mahomes realized, would preserve Mahomes in the long run. Otherwise, it is a matter of time before Josh Allen ends up missing games like Lamar Jackson or Big Ben did as the years went on. Plus the nuances of throwing with anticipation in zones and reading coverages doesn't develop enough.

I have to agree that Josh Allen started throwing more with anticipation last year but the designed runs seem like he is headed down the Cam Newton direction, that is the best comparison from a play scheme point of view (between the 20s and in the red zone) except that Allen is a better passer and doesn't throw high like Cam did. However the Chiefs blitzed him more in the 2020 AFCCG and he reverted back to his old ways of being inaccurate. He does seem like he is picking up where he left off last year w.r.t the 2021 season divisional round vs the Chiefs. When Peyton Manning came into the league, he and the Colts were a fun ticket to get, for fans of any team. I am seeing Josh Allen becoming that hot ticket to watch like Mahomes, and want his good health to continue for the sake of the league.

Archived