Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL kickoff thread: Bills@ Rams

Happy2BeHere

Bills (1-0) look very good on offense and defense. Rams (0-1)

look rusty.

I learned today that Jessica Pegula, the daughter of the Bills owners, is a professional tennis player. She was the last American woman tennis player in the US Open this year but she lost yesterday to the #1 seed.  

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

look rusty.

I learned today that Jessica Pegula, the daughter of the Bills owners, is a professional tennis player. She was the last American woman tennis player in the US Open this year but she lost yesterday to the #1 seed.  

I have them winning it all. I think they go something like 13-4 and get HFA

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

They have a great chance. They are loaded. Jamison Crowder is like WR4. I am a big fan of his. He is underrated. I don't know why the Jets and Washington let him go. 

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Still have to beat Indy and last year wasnt even close, Bills had no answers for JT and not sure they have done enough to shift he tide. Colts are the one team Bills fear and for good reason.

7 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Is Jerry Hughes still on the Bills?

Bills lost Jerry Hughes (Houston), Efe Obada (Washington), CB Levi Wallace (Pittsburgh), Harrison Phillips(Minnesota). 

Got in free agency Tim Settle (Washington), DaQuan Jones (Carolina), Von Miller(LAR). 

I thought their defense might take a step back, especially in the trenches, those 3 outgoing free agents were awesome for years. But, they look to be going good still. 

23 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

look rusty.

Yes, she's a very good tennis player, close to top ten or 20 in the world probably. Didn't know she's related to the Bills family. 

She lost to the world #1 Iga Swiatek, who's been on the rampage in women's circuit recently, so no shame there. 

59 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

@VikingsFanInChennai, Josh Allen looks good. 

Garrett was vilified too.

I did not hear about the incident with Donald. The media like him.

Yes, his turnovers aren't a problem, I'm glad he takes it as part of his game because if he starts to worry about making mistakes, he wouldn't be what he's today. 

43 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Still have to beat Indy and last year wasnt even close, Bills had no answers for JT and not sure they have done enough to shift he tide. Colts are the one team Bills fear and for good reason.

I have us vs them in the AFC Finals.

36 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Good night, all. Join us on the Colts game thread on Sunday. 

I can't wait for Sunday! 

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

look rusty.

Pete Sampras is the GOAT and he is american. I got news for all these players that have came after Big Pete, Pete would take them to the cleaners. When it comes to Wimbledon or US Open give me Pete all day The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)

19 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Mens... -Samprass #4 or #5

Women - Williams and Graf are both GOATs (#1A and #1B)... Williams has more titles, but Graf had less years, but easily % (and most clay titles)

Steffi Graf is the GOAT in women's tennis, I have Serena #2, Steffi played better Comp. Pete's Comp was tougher than Federer and Nadal's as well. Pete never won the French Open and Nadal dominated that but give me Pete when it comes to Wimbledon or the US Open. 

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Steffi Graf is the GOAT in women's tennis, I have Serena #2, Steffi played better Comp. Pete's Comp was tougher than Federer and Nadal's as well. Pete never won the French Open and Nadal dominated that but give me Pete when it comes to Wimbledon or the US Open. 

I love Pete, but Nadal, Federer, and Djokovic are better, and 3 played each other. 

Pete had great power, but IIRC was 130ish MPH. Pretty sure have Nadal and Federer were clocked 140ish MPH. 

9 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Monica Seles and Steffi Graf rivalry would've been great if not for the unfortunate stabbing. 

People here in India still name their daughters Steffi or Graf, especially when Western names are very rare here among non-Christians. 

Loved the 80s (tennis) 

Today is boring IMO... 

17 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I love Pete, but Nadal, Federer, and Djokovic are better, and 3 played each other. 

Pete had great power, but IIRC was 130ish MPH. Pretty sure have Nadal and Federer were clocked 140ish MPH. 

Pete once served at 140 on record but his back hand was better than Federer's and Nadal's. Federer won 1 more Wimbledon and the same amount of US Open's as Pete did so it is close. Nadal dominated the French Open, Pete just hated that tournament and playing on clay. Federer was the same way, he only won there once. Nadal loves it in France lmao . Djokovic is scary great so you have a true legit argument there. Pete would've won more Grand Slams but he went up against guys like Andre Agg, and Boris Becker. Becker was a monster in his hey day and Agg was awesome too. I loved the McEnroe vs Borg days - that was great stuff!

15 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Pete once served at 140 on record but his back hand was better than Federer's and Nadal's. Federer won 1 more Wimbledon and the same amount of US Open's as Pete did so it is close. Nadal dominated the French Open, Pete just hated that tournament and playing on clay. Federer was the same way, he only won there once. Nadal loves it in France lmao . Djokovic is scary great so you have a true legit argument there. Pete would've won more Grand Slams but he went up against guys like Andre Agg, and Boris Becker. Becker was a monster in his hey day and Agg was awesome too. I loved the McEnroe vs Borg days - that was great stuff!

Pete's average serve was at 133, but he clocked at 140 once that I know of. His overall game was just better than the others IMO. Andy Roddick was clocked at 150 at 1 time but he only won 1 Grand Slam which was the US Open, only 1 though.

22 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Pete and McEnroe are my favs (all time)!!

But have respect Nadal/Federer/Djokovic.... 

Different era, if Pete Sampras had played with these 3, he'd been built and played differently too, even stronger. 

Game evolves over time, and all these legends contribute towards the progress. Game wouldn't be at this level now, if not for Sampras dominating the arena like that in '90s.

It's preposterous to compare players of different era. 

My all time favourite would always be Jim Courier. 

1 minute ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Different era, if Pete Sampras had played with these 3, he'd been built and played differently too, even stronger. 

Game evolves over time, and all these legends contribute towards the progress. Game wouldn't be at this level now, if not for Sampras dominating the arena like that in '90s.

It's preposterous to compare players of different era. 

My all time favourite would always be Jim Courier. 

Courier had a nice run but Pete was on another planet IMO. When it came to to Wimbledon and the US Open, Pete was Tiger Woods. Boris Becker was off the charts from roughly 1986-1989, Pete had trouble beating him in the early 90's. He beat him in a Wimbledon Final I think in 1994.

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Winning %... all 3 are great.

Djokovic 35 years - 1 GS in 2022

Nadal 36 - 2 GS in 2022

Federer 41

I would love to see Pete in his prime take them all on but we can't haha . As long as he doesn't play Nadal on Clay lmao 

Pete was my guy back in the day The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)- when Wimbledon rolled around, I knew Pete would win.

8 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Bills lost Jerry Hughes (Houston), Efe Obada (Washington), CB Levi Wallace (Pittsburgh), Harrison Phillips(Minnesota). 

Got in free agency Tim Settle (Washington), DaQuan Jones (Carolina), Von Miller(LAR). 

I thought their defense might take a step back, especially in the trenches, those 3 outgoing free agents were awesome for years. But, they look to be going good still. 

The interior run D was shored up a bit more and Von Miller, everywhere he goes, he shows up for the playoffs and Tom Brady is the one most glad he is out of the conference. 

They drafted Epenesa and Basham over the last few years and it is paying dividends.

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Djokovic will end up being the GOAT in most eyes because of Grand Slam wins. That guy is just so much better than anyone else right now.

He is not that much better than the others but mentally, yes. He is the only one who can go neck-to-neck with Nadal on clay and can come out on top on the other surfaces consistently. Djokovic was the only one who could grind it out with both Nadal and Federer. However, he has been a victim of his own arrogance plus the vaccine related bureaucracy in both Australia and the US Open this year, otherwise he would have won 2 Grand Slams at least in 2022.

Once he got the visa to the Australian Open, why go on social media and boast about it and force the Australian government to get involved? He always had an air about him but since he was not Nadal or Federer, he was never given leeway by the media. He did after all hit the ball towards the lineswoman in frustration, went to a public function after testing Covid positive, and threw a tantrum in the Olympics too, so he deserves a few things he got. Djokovic played way too much tennis last year and Zverev took it all out of him in the semis because he was a shell of himself vs Medvedev, losing in straight sets. Otherwise, the Grand Slam was his for the taking.

Medvedev is a mental softie, unlike Djokovic and Nadal that are mentally strong. On his best days, if you take him to 5 sets, he folds (happened twice vs Nadal, once in 2020 US Open and this year in 2022 Australian Open). That is why I was SUPER happy Nadal lost in this US Open. I did not want him to hog Grand Slams from Djokovic because of the vaccine bureaucracy, which will eventually go away at least for entering Grand Slams next year. Nadal stands at 22, Djokovic at 21, Federer at 20. If Djokovic was American, they probably make an exception for him in Australia and the US, I bet. You can tell I am a Djokovic fan and appreciate his tennis and his record vs the other Big 2 but also acknowledge his shortcomings. However, good for him, if he can take care of his body this well and doesn't feel like he needs the vaccine, I support his choice, just needs to be more responsible about it.

Federer was poetry in motion, especially on hard courts, so much fun to watch on fast courts, indoor and hard courts plus Wimbledon. It looked like he was on skates all the time and effortless, while Nadal and Djokovic always looked like they had to out grind the others. That is what I loved about Federer but he was mentally soft vs Nadal, unlike Djokovic. I can go on and on about the Big 3 but this will do for today. :) 

5 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Winning %... all 3 are great.

Djokovic 35 years - 1 GS in 2022

Nadal 36 - 2 GS in 2022

Federer 41

It is a Golden era where you won't see another trifecta of champions all winning 20 Grand Slams in a span of 20 years.

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would love to see Pete in his prime take them all on but we can't haha . As long as he doesn't play Nadal on Clay lmao 

Pete was my guy back in the day The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)- when Wimbledon rolled around, I knew Pete would win.

Here is the biggest difference. I was talking to my daughter's coach and he made a valid point. When Pete Sampras served with the racquet technology in the 90s and early 2000s, the 120 mph serves would come back at 90-100 mph. Nowadays, those will come back from Federer, Nadal and Djokovic at 110 mph consistently. Then they made the balls heavier too, so serves that used to be hit at 140-150 mph sometimes can only be hit :) at around 130 mph. This would tremendously favor the guys with a better ground game.

It is like asking Michael Jordan to play in an era where more zone defense is allowed and 3-pt. shooting is favored more. I am sure Pete Sampras and Michael Jordan would adapt but we all knew Sampras' ground game was not his strength and Michael Jordan's 3-pt. shooting was not his strength. The one surface I knew Sampras would win more was at Wimbledon but again, Federer's cat like reflexes allowed him to win 8 Wimbledons, and he beat Sampras in Wimbledon, so it would be at least 50-50 between Sampras in his prime and Federer in his prime, I am almost 100% certain, and might favor Federer because of his ability to return the best of serves was better than Sampras. It would be entertaining nevertheless.

Hard courts, just watch Federer take shoe string shots with ease on both forehands and backhands, Pete never had the feet of Federer to be in position for all shots. I have played and watched tennis for only about 40 years now :), ask anyone with a good knowledge of tennis and they will agree with me. Federer had the best footwork of all time, rarely out of position. Take the words from Agassi, who played both in US Open finals. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/12/sports/us-open-federer-shows-special-powers-to-beat-agassi.html

"Pete was great; I mean no question," Agassi said. "But there was a place

to get to with Pete. You knew what you had to do. If you do it, it could be

on your terms. There's no such place like that with Roger."

https://www.si.com/tennis/2013/09/25/andre-agassi-roger-federer-pete-sampras-rafael-nadal

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/214590

Ultimately, it depends on which kind of tennis balls you play with and they made grass more conducive to rallies too, favoring baseliners, which has pretty much killed serve and volley except for doubles. But if you start any conversation with any knowledgeable fan or player around the world by saying "Sampras is better than Federer", you will be laughed out of the room or asked "Are you American?".

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

Here is the biggest difference. I was talking to my daughter's coach and he made a valid point. When Pete Sampras served with the racquet technology in the 90s and early 2000s, the 120 mph serves would come back at 90-100 mph. Nowadays, those will come back from Federer, Nadal and Djokovic at 110 mph consistently. Then they made the balls heavier too, so serves that used to be hit at 140-150 mph sometimes can only be hit :) at around 130 mph. This would tremendously favor the guys with a better ground game.

It is like asking Michael Jordan to play in an era where more zone defense is allowed and 3-pt. shooting is favored more. I am sure Pete Sampras and Michael Jordan would adapt but we all knew Sampras' ground game was not his strength and Michael Jordan's 3-pt. shooting was not his strength. The one surface I knew Sampras would win more was at Wimbledon but again, Federer's cat like reflexes allowed him to win 8 Wimbledons, and he beat Sampras in Wimbledon, so it would be at least 50-50 between Sampras in his prime and Federer in his prime, I am almost 100% certain, and might favor Federer because of his ability to return the best of serves was better than Sampras. It would be entertaining nevertheless.

Hard courts, just watch Federer take shoe string shots with ease on both forehands and backhands, Pete never had the feet of Federer to be in position for all shots. I have played and watched tennis for only about 40 years now :), ask anyone with a good knowledge of tennis and they will agree with me. Federer had the best footwork of all time, rarely out of position. Take the words from Agassi, who played both in US Open finals. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/12/sports/us-open-federer-shows-special-powers-to-beat-agassi.html

"Pete was great; I mean no question," Agassi said. "But there was a place

to get to with Pete. You knew what you had to do. If you do it, it could be

on your terms. There's no such place like that with Roger."

https://www.si.com/tennis/2013/09/25/andre-agassi-roger-federer-pete-sampras-rafael-nadal

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/214590

Ultimately, it depends on which kind of tennis balls you play with and they made grass more conducive to rallies too, favoring baseliners, which has pretty much killed serve and volley except for doubles. But if you start any conversation with any knowledgeable fan or player around the world by saying "Sampras is better than Federer", you will be laughed out of the room or asked "Are you American?".

I would be the one laughing because Pete in his prime was the best, I have watched Tennis since the McEnroe/Borg days. I have seen them all. Going by Grand Slams and the main 2 are Wimbledon and the US Open, Federer only has 1 more over Pete but he has played much longer so he should have more. Federer has played many years longer so of course he has more wins. Saying Federer is better than Pete is like someone trying to say LeBron is better than Jordan. LeBron has better overall stats but it is because he has played longer, we all know Jordan was better, at least I do. I would take Magic over LeBron as well. I am talking prime vs prime when each as their peak, I am taking Pete by my eye test,. Now when it came to the French Open, Nadal is the King there. Federer vs Pete would be basically 50/50 = Wimbledon or US Open but if I had to bet on it, I am taking Pete. Boris Becker who was stronger than everyone dominated Wimbledon and Pete made him look foolish in the 1995 Finals. 

Archived