Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Zak Keefer States That the Matt Ryan Addition is "THE" Colts Best Off-season Move!!

sb41champs

yes, getting rid of a dysfunctional, broken QB for a veteran leader who has been there done that was a great move by chris ballard. 

it almost makes up for the wasted season under Wentz. 

21 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

The pure luck and timing of ATL screwing up with Watson, ATL's cap dumpster fire, and Matt's team wish list was like the planets aligning for Indianapolis. 

It almost makes up for Reich bringing Wentz to Indy last season, and the draft capital spent. 

FIFY

15 hours ago, EastStreet said:

FIFY

However it worked itself out, at least Colts didn't end up with Watson AND all this drama.  As a falcons fan I REALLY wanted Matt to stay with ATL and finish there, but this gives this team the best chance for a title.  He's better than Wentz in so many areas and this team is so much better than what ATL gave him in recent years.  

BEST RB in the game, young and talented receiving core, above average to dominant defense, and coaching that has shown success in the past.

This is good for everyone in IND.  TEN took a big hit in many ways this offseason and IND should be able to capitalize on that.  Balanced team capable of cashing in on chances they couldn't or didn't last year will be the difference in barely missing out on the playoffs and IMO a division title this year.

ANd if Colts can get hot at the right time, this team can be dangerous.  Matt hasn't thrown an INT since 2013 and in his last 5 playoff games he's thrown for 11 TDs and 1400 yards.  BUT, he's hasn't had the kind of running game he has now since he first few years in the league. So he won't have to carry like he did in his first few playoff games, he'll establish ball control and effectiveness.

5 hours ago, federicofalcon2 said:

However it worked itself out, at least Colts didn't end up with Watson AND all this drama.  As a falcons fan I REALLY wanted Matt to stay with ATL and finish there, but this gives this team the best chance for a title.  He's better than Wentz in so many areas and this team is so much better than what ATL gave him in recent years.  

BEST RB in the game, young and talented receiving core, above average to dominant defense, and coaching that has shown success in the past.

This is good for everyone in IND.  TEN took a big hit in many ways this offseason and IND should be able to capitalize on that.  Balanced team capable of cashing in on chances they couldn't or didn't last year will be the difference in barely missing out on the playoffs and IMO a division title this year.

ANd if Colts can get hot at the right time, this team can be dangerous.  Matt hasn't thrown an INT since 2013 and in his last 5 playoff games he's thrown for 11 TDs and 1400 yards.  BUT, he's hasn't had the kind of running game he has now since he first few years in the league. So he won't have to carry like he did in his first few playoff games, he'll establish ball control and effectiveness.

I'm a fan of ATL too. Nothing close to my love for Indy, but I watch when they're on if the Colts aren't playing at the same time, have been to many games, and follow them a bit. And yes, it's great for Indy, and it worked out very well for us IMO. 

My biggest hope is just that we have balance. Balance between passing and running, and balance within the passing game. We haven't really had that in a good long while. I've been a fan of Ryan since he was drafted. Great guy. I'm ecstatic we were the only team on his list. With JT and him, I think we have the potential to be a great offense. 

I do wonder about the ATL and the way things went down. All the reports suggests the new coach wanted to keep Ryan in place, and it was the GM pushing to move on. Not sure were Blank stood on all this, but I know he's been a big fan of Ryan and is typically pro-vet. 

I just hope we get 2 good years out of him. Anymore would be a bonus. He's just a short term fix I know, but hoping we can peak with him, and this roster. 

33 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I'm a fan of ATL too. Nothing close to my love for Indy, but I watch when they're on if the Colts aren't playing at the same time, have been to many games, and follow them a bit. And yes, it's great for Indy, and it worked out very well for us IMO. 

My biggest hope is just that we have balance. Balance between passing and running, and balance within the passing game. We haven't really had that in a good long while. I've been a fan of Ryan since he was drafted. Great guy. I'm ecstatic we were the only team on his list. With JT and him, I think we have the potential to be a great offense. 

I do wonder about the ATL and the way things went down. All the reports suggests the new coach wanted to keep Ryan in place, and it was the GM pushing to move on. Not sure were Blank stood on all this, but I know he's been a big fan of Ryan and is typically pro-vet. 

I just hope we get 2 good years out of him. Anymore would be a bonus. He's just a short term fix I know, but hoping we can peak with him, and this roster. 

I liked the idea of Ballad talking how he wanted Ryan here for 3-4 years.  The way this team is setup with the running game and up and coming playmakers, he could play another 5 years possibly.  He's rarely injured and is a precision passer so timing is his forte.  Id rather have him and his intelligence than someone with just a cannon and makes SMH mistakes (lefthanded passes anyone?) 

plus it gives the colts time to groonm a successor the way I had hoped ATL had done with someone like Ridder while Matt closes ot his career hopefully with a ring or 2

7 minutes ago, federicofalcon2 said:

I liked the idea of Ballad talking how he wanted Ryan here for 3-4 years.  The way this team is setup with the running game and up and coming playmakers, he could play another 5 years possibly.  He's rarely injured and is a precision passer so timing is his forte.  Id rather have him and his intelligence than someone with just a cannon and makes SMH mistakes (lefthanded passes anyone?) 

plus it gives the colts time to groonm a successor the way I had hoped ATL had done with someone like Ridder while Matt closes ot his career hopefully with a ring or 2

I'd love to see Matt get a ring here. And I agree, he could play longer than 2 years, but need to be cautious in the optimism. I want to see if his down year last season was due entirely to talent around him, or decline, or both. I believe it was mostly talent around him and new scheme. 

I was hoping when we picked up Rivers, that we'd have drafted a QB early that same year or year after (keeping Rivers year 2). It would be nice if we could have overlap now with Ryan to groom someone. 

Matt Ryan trade is probably the best off season move of the all NFL teams.  We essentially traded Carson Wentz for Matt Ryan plus a second round pick. 

Matt Ryan is a future HOF and has had 11 consecutive seasons throwing more than 4000 yards.  Wentz has had one season over 4000 yards (4039 yards in 2019).  Matt Ryan played ten playoff games with QBR 100.8.  Wentz played one playoff game and completed one pass with QBR 39.6.  Matt Ryan is Peyton-like while Wentz is close to be Jeff George.

I think calling Ryan the biggest addition is not really going out on a limb given the positions value in the NFL. We don't get Ryan and we are basically done. The qb draft was very poor this year and that was probably our only option. Taking Ryan out of the equation. The biggest move was Flus getting a head coach job. I never heard this from anyone, but I really think the Colts were ready to move on from Flus. Him getting a head coaching job allowed Ballard and Reich not have to make that move. U bring in  Bradley and I truly believe this D takes a huge step especially along the D line.  I have always wondered was it Ballard's poor drafting or poor coaching along the D line. I bleelive we r going to find out this year whxih one it was. They are going to be let loose under Bradley and I think that fits the players skill set. Attack the qb and maybe hit the running back on the way there if it is a run play. From what I have read, Flus focused a lot on stopping the run. Don't be surprised if we give up some big run plays but put teams in longer passing plays to convert 1st downs.

On 7/8/2022 at 3:39 PM, EastStreet said:

I think Brady and Rodgers have broken the mold onhow many years a qb can now play. They are protected far more and don't take the pounding of the old qbs. Don't be surprised if Ryan gives us 4 years. I think it may become more of a common occurrence to see qbs play into their 40's. Plus the qb money is getting insane and Ryan may command 40 million when his contract is up.  

3 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I think Brady and Rodgers have broken the mold onhow many years a qb can now play. They are protected far more and don't take the pounding of the old qbs. Don't be surprised if Ryan gives us 4 years. I think it may become more of a common occurrence to see qbs play into their 40's. Plus the qb money is getting insane and Ryan may command 40 million when his contract is up.  

Brady is a unicorn at 44. Don't see that happening again anytime soon. 

Rodgers is 38, and talks about retirement every year lol.

Big Ben at 39 played too long.

Ryan is the only other QB past 35 (he's 36) IIRC. So that's not many (3 past 35). 

So in short, I agree QBs will play longer. Disagree 40s will be all that common. 

I hope Ryan gives us 5 more. That would be sweet. 

On 7/9/2022 at 10:05 PM, EastStreet said:

Brady is a unicorn at 44. Don't see that happening again anytime soon. 

Rodgers is 38, and talks about retirement every year lol.

Big Ben at 39 played too long.

Ryan is the only other QB past 35 (he's 36) IIRC. So that's not many (3 past 35). 

So in short, I agree QBs will play longer. Disagree 40s will be all that common. 

I hope Ryan gives us 5 more. That would be sweet. 

It all depends on the draft. If the Colts get a shot at a highly ranked draftee they will go after it. That might be difficult if they finish high in the standings.

16 hours ago, King Colt said:

It all depends on the draft. If the Colts get a shot at a highly ranked draftee they will go after it. That might be difficult if they finish high in the standings.

Colts should easily make the playoffs with Ryan and our SoS, so doubt our draft slot is great. 

Archived