Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Freeney has his own FB page now

ColtsPacersfan

Posted on FB hope he restructures h8 to see him flat out cut.Pags was saying hes eyeing FAs that are going to hit market.We have 0 dollars to spend on them without Freeneys restructure.Need to be a team player Dwight,and anyone else who thinks hes more important than signing 4 to 6 FAs get off your highhorse and think about it.We need so much think about our needs and who you would like to pick up.Then think ooops cant Freeney needs all his money now.Its simple math Freeney or 5 FAs who fit needs now.

Posted on FB hope he restructures h8 to see him flat out cut.Pags was saying hes eyeing FAs that are going to hit market.We have 0 dollars to spend on them without Freeneys restructure.Need to be a team player Dwight,and anyone else who thinks hes more important than signing 4 to 6 FAs get off your highhorse and think about it.We need so much think about our needs and who you would like to pick up.Then think ooops cant Freeney needs all his money now.Its simple math Freeney or 5 FAs who fit needs now.

I could be wrong, but im guessing Pags and grigs know a teeny tiny bit more about the cap situation than anyone here..

Who the heck are you to tell Freeney what he needs to do?

I Do know we have 0 cap dollars to spend.We have just enough room to sign draft picks and thats it.ATM anyways without any restructures or cuts were a lil in red.

and how do you "know" this.. Because ppl on here posted it? Im thinking the colts FO has a little better grasp on cap issues than you or I

and how do you "know" this.. Because ppl on here posted it? Im thinking the colts FO has a little better grasp on cap issues than you or I

True they do but ive been learning how to calculate cap space from Undecidedfrog its not really hard.And i know this because i can add.Next year we our a plus close to 60 mill ATM,if we drop Freeney and save that we would have over 70+ mill to spend.Look under blogs for figuring cap and start your own sheet?But with projected salaries and our draft pick prices we our a lil in red.Minus excuse me Blair Whites which i havent calculated yet.

Posted · Hidden by shecolt, April 20, 2012 - inflammatory
Hidden by shecolt, April 20, 2012 - inflammatory

What if the Colts don't approach him about restructuring?

Hopefully though the person monitoring and editing Freeney's FB page deletes your post though. Saying he needs to restructure is alright (although, personally, I don't think anyone has a right to tell anyone else anything about their money) but making the statement that if he doesn't restructure he doesn't care about the team was *ic, moronic, foolish and stupid.

You say you're a fan but all you've done is spend some money and watch them. Freeney's injured himself for the team, bled for the team, goes on insane diets for the team, spends hours a day working out for the team, does charity events for the team, completely goes through a 6 month period where he has very little time to see family and friends or take a vacation. Spends his free time watching film, or sitting in an ice tub or going through treatment for the team. So he does all that and then starts a social media page so he can interact a bit more with the fans, only to have some putz post on there that he(Freeney) only cares about himself and not for the team.

Posted · Hidden by shecolt, April 20, 2012 - response
Hidden by shecolt, April 20, 2012 - response

What if the Colts don't approach him about restructuring?

Hopefully though the person monitoring and editing Freeney's FB page deletes your post though. Saying he needs to restructure is alright (although, personally, I don't think anyone has a right to tell anyone else anything about their money) but making the statement that if he doesn't restructure he doesn't care about the team was *ic, moronic, foolish and stupid.

You say you're a fan but all you've done is spend some money and watch them. Freeney's injured himself for the team, bled for the team, goes on insane diets for the team, spends hours a day working out for the team, does charity events for the team, completely goes through a 6 month period where he has very little time to see family and friends or take a vacation. Spends his free time watching film, or sitting in an ice tub or going through treatment for the team. So he does all that and then starts a social media page so he can interact a bit more with the fans, only to have some putz post on there that he(Freeney) only cares about himself and not for the team.

Hes constantly declined and for the good of the TEam he needs to jump ship. calling me stupid and foolish wow you are not a fan at all.Your allegiance is to 1 man and not team concept.Think a mod should read your post huh?He is selfish if he has not, himself has not asked for restructure you need names

Big Ben Tom Brady they took it for TEAM.53 men roster not 1.

Don't worry, I'm not a creep or anything. I just went to his page and the very first post was some guy telling him to restructure....so I put 2 and 2 together

Seriously NP i wouldnt put my name out there if i cared TY though just wish he could get a new contract or dump him for the Team.Just think we have too many needs to pay another 14 mill IMO

Posted · Hidden by shecolt, April 20, 2012 - response
Hidden by shecolt, April 20, 2012 - response

Hes constantly declined and for the good of the TEam he needs to jump ship.

“Everyone knows Dwight's a great player. He's going to be here this year,” said Grigson. “He hopes and fully expects to be a major contributor and a guy who strikes fear in our opponents and offensive lines every week.” I think I will trust the word of the new GM over someone who has a thumbmail picture of a duck.
calling me stupid and foolish wow you are not a fan at all.
Two things. One I didn't call you stupid and foolish, I called what you did on FB *ic, moronic, foolish and stupid. Plus how you behave has nothing to do with my being a fan. Actually you in general has nothing to do with me being a fan.
Your allegiance is to 1 man and not team concept.
My allegiance is to One Nation Under God, but I like the Colts and I think the Colts are better with Freeney than without.
Think a mod should read your post huh?
If you want to report it go ahead. It was discussed with a mod on this forum a long time ago, calling an action stupid is not calling a person stupid. Calling an action stupid is acceptable, calling a person stupid is not.
He is selfish if he has He himself has not asked for restructure you need names

Big Ben Tom Brady they took it for TEAM.53 men roster not 1.

Non of them asked to restructure. They did but they did not initiate the conversations.

I'll reiterate what someone else said, leave the cap counting to the FO. I do NOT care what a fan comes up with on his own. The front office writes the checks. The front office has the system with the exact figures, down to the last penny.

You can say what you like, but I figure if a team like the Redskins who had cap space removed and had limited cap space to work with can go out and sign free agents like no body's business, a team like the Colts sitting pat with Freeney should be just fine.

And a fan to go and tell a player to take less money... LOL. Are you 12? You do realize you're one fan in a sea of MILLIONS, right? That means that your opinion means less than %0.0000001 to Mr. Freeney. But by all mean, go out and spout off at our best defensive player in the last decade for getting paid what he and Mr. Irsay agreed to.

It'd be one thing if the guy had fallen off and been on the sidelines for 8 weeks this season, but he was our biggest contributor last season, and you want him to take a pay cut for playing through that craptastic season?

I don't call that being a fan. I don't know what to call it, but I do not call that being a fan.

I'll reiterate what someone else said, leave the cap counting to the FO. I do NOT care what a fan comes up with on his own. The front office writes the checks. The front office has the system with the exact figures, down to the last penny.

You can say what you like, but I figure if a team like the Redskins who had cap space removed and had limited cap space to work with can go out and sign free agents like no body's business, a team like the Colts sitting pat with Freeney should be just fine.

And a fan to go and tell a player to take less money... LOL. Are you 12? You do realize you're one fan in a sea of MILLIONS, right? That means that your opinion means less than %0.0000001 to Mr. Freeney. But by all mean, go out and spout off at our best defensive player in the last decade for getting paid what he and Mr. Irsay agreed to.

It'd be one thing if the guy had fallen off and been on the sidelines for 8 weeks this season, but he was our biggest contributor last season, and you want him to take a pay cut for playing through that craptastic season?

I don't call that being a fan. I don't know what to call it, but I do not call that being a fan.

LOL u call me not a fan but you are blind.Im saying whats best for the team you on the other hand are lost.Freeney biggest contributor to what?Mathis is better.Drop him like a Hot tater and im 45 been watching football since you was a kid?Freeney just needs dropped and we do not have cap money can u do math?http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/faq.asp try this out for beginners then see if we have money.

LOL u call me not a fan but you are blind.Im saying whats best for the team you on the other hand are lost.Freeney biggest contributor to what?Mathis is better.Drop him like a Hot tater and im 45 been watching football since you was a kid?Freeney just needs dropped and we do not have cap money can u do math?http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/faq.asp try this out for beginners then see if we have money.

What evidence do you have to suggest that Mathis is better? How many blockers does he face on every snap?

Throughout their careers, Freeney has 102.5 sacks vs. Mathis' 83.5. Freeney is the double teamed more than Mathis in any given game, yet with just one added year, he has 19 more sacks. More sacks, despite being double teamed, says to me that he is a better player than Mathis. Mathis is a great player, don't get me wrong, but his game improves with Freeney on the field because of what teams have to do to deal with Freeney.

As Freeney ages, that influence will likely start going down, but as of yet, I haven't seen it.

And I'll say it, just one more time... Media, fans, etc. know less than the front office about what is going on with the cap. The guy you linked to may be more accurate than some, but he doesn't know more than most of the front offices out there. If Grigson and his team have said they are keeping Freeney on, they must absolutely know how they are going to do it.

Long story short, Freeney is one of few players in the NFL that has done a solid job of earning each and every pay check. He is no Haynesworth. He is all effort, every snap. For a grown man to tell another man what to do with something he knows next to nothing about is ludicrous. Freeney is not demanding a raise or a trade or an extension. He is just sticking to his contract that was agreed upon. There is no word out yet if he has even been asked to restructure or take less. I darned sure won't be going into my job and telling my boss that I'll take less. If Freeney were to do that, and then tear his ACL next season, he'd be done. He'd be a 30+ year old pass rusher without a contract, and less money than if he sticks to what he has now.

His best interests would be served by either playing out his current contract, or getting cut and given the opportunity to sign one last deal elsewhere. Believe it or not, he has every right to do what is in HIS best interests. If he tears his ACL this season, you know well and good that they won't be giving him even Mathis money to come back. I am all for Freeney being paid for what he has been in the past, a cornerstone piece of this defense.

And one last point before I give up on this:

http://www.spotrac.c...-colts/cap-hit/

Can someone tell me how 120.6 million - 107 million (which is 13.6 million by the way) is not enough room for our rookies?

13 million - roughly 4 for andrew luck

9 Mill - roughly 2 for our next pick

7 mill - roughly 1 for our next pick

6 - roughly .6 for the next 7 picks

Leaves:

1.8 Million.

That's rough math, but looking at the site you linked, and factoring in contracts of players both past and present, it seems to me that it looks fine, with plenty of space to sign rookies. Why do we need Freeney to restructure again?

EDIT: And if you notice, 600k is rather a large estimate for the later round selections. Towards the bottom the number gets much closer to 300k.

There are A LOT of teams with virtually no cap space as of right now to sign their rookies. We will see another round of cuts to players with large salaries. These players are usually players that have not met the expectations or simply signed bad contracts but usually these are bigger named players because they have large enough salaries to make a difference. I think we have enough money to sign our rookies but we definately don't have much room for any roster improvements past that. Freeney is not worth 14 million base salary for next year. That said...I would not tell him that to his face (or facebook) because that is his livelihood. I mean would you want some share holder to come into your job and tell you to take a pay cut to better the company and the stock price?? Nope. I wouldn't. He is entitled to do as he wishes and take the chance that he gets cut or find a way to get paid next year.

I do think this team could use that money in a productive manner. I don't think he is the best defensive player in the nfl as some have said and it is arguable if he is the best on the team but I would support that he is. But just because he is the best on the team (the most untalented team in the league by the way) doesn't mean he is worth that money. I have a feeling he will stay as is unless someone makes an offer. I don't see that happening until possibly the season starts because there are plenty of sources for teams to get a pass rusher before then and some will hope he gets cut. I think we will see where his production goes and how he influences the defense before offering an extension or eventually letting him hit FA next year. If we have to make cuts we will see more players like White get cut to get us under the cap if it happens. I don't see us bringing any more help from FA in without him extending.

There are A LOT of teams with virtually no cap space as of right now to sign their rookies. We will see another round of cuts to players with large salaries. These players are usually players that have not met the expectations or simply signed bad contracts but usually these are bigger named players because they have large enough salaries to make a difference. I think we have enough money to sign our rookies but we definately don't have much room for any roster improvements past that. Freeney is not worth 14 million base salary for next year. That said...I would not tell him that to his face (or facebook) because that is his livelihood. I mean would you want some share holder to come into your job and tell you to take a pay cut to better the company and the stock price?? Nope. I wouldn't. He is entitled to do as he wishes and take the chance that he gets cut or find a way to get paid next year.

I do think this team could use that money in a productive manner. I don't think he is the best defensive player in the nfl as some have said and it is arguable if he is the best on the team but I would support that he is. But just because he is the best on the team (the most untalented team in the league by the way) doesn't mean he is worth that money. I have a feeling he will stay as is unless someone makes an offer. I don't see that happening until possibly the season starts because there are plenty of sources for teams to get a pass rusher before then and some will hope he gets cut. I think we will see where his production goes and how he influences the defense before offering an extension or eventually letting him hit FA next year. If we have to make cuts we will see more players like White get cut to get us under the cap if it happens. I don't see us bringing any more help from FA in without him extending.

The part people fail to realize, however, is that an extension is simply not likely at this point.

Why would Dwight Freeney sign an extension only to play a season and determine that he hates his new role? This isn't a job like you or I have, where we can simply walk away and find something else. If he signs a contract, he is on the hook with his team until the contract expires. If he may not like the direction, why would he seek an extension? From what I gather, he is at least willing to try it out.

And I've already made the point about taking a pay cut. If he offers to drop 5 million of his salary this year, and get down to 9, he'd be doing the team a major favor, no doubt. But the reality is, if he refuses to do so, he could force his way out of the Colts and find a team that suits his talents (read - a 4-3 defensive end). If I am Dwight, I realize that I maybe 3-4 quality years left (possibly more, but realistically 3-4). If I hold my current contract, and bring in 14 this season, that's a win. If I take less, that's less of a win. If I force the team to make another tough decision to cut me, I open up the possibility that I may sign with a team that suits my abilities.

If that happens, I see Chicago as being a STRONG possibility. They were in for Mario, but couldn't make it happen. If they could sign Dwight to a 4 year deal worth around 10 a season, and something that is easy to step away from after 2 years, they've got a good consolation prize for losing out on Mario.

Dwight also wins here because he likely gets one last good signing bonus in the neighborhood of 10 million, whereas if he takes less and suffers a major injury, he may not see a big deal again in his career.

As I see it, there are two good options for Dwight. Take what you've earned, or force the team to decide. If they cut you, you'd be the best available free agent without question. Chicago (and maybe others would be licking their lips) to get you in to play opposite Peppers. You'd be on a team capable of making a run in the playoffs if everyone stays healthy, and you'd also get your best opportunity to sign that one last contract.

So, like I've said, I am all for Dwight being paid as he is. There is no reason to sign an extension when he doesn't know how he will fit with the new scheme. Better to give it time, feel it out, and decide next year on the extension. Or perhaps force a trade before the trade deadline if it isn't working.

Dwight Freeney has always been a team player.....how do any of us know that he was even offered an extention?...Because someone who knows someone who knows someone said?......what was the amount?...What were the terms?....not saying he wasn't...but do we even really know that?....even if he was, there could be legitimate reasons why he turned it down........

I understand Dwight has no obligation or necessarily any motivation to extend. He gets a big pay day this year and he is set up to get another big pay day (if he stays healthy and produces another 8-10 sack season) next spring because the salary cap will go up because of the new tv deals. I am sure he will see offers avg 10-12 million avg over 3 years (can't see someone offering him for the 4th he would be 37). I don't see him just giving away money and resigning if he is unhappy with the new system. He is in the driver seat. The only thing that could happen that would be bad for him is to get cut because most teams have spent their FA money but I'm sure someone would scrap together 8 mill or so to pick him up. He is stuck here unless we find a trade partner. If Denver is interested in Samuels why couldn't we find someone interested in Dwight.

I understand Dwight has no obligation or necessarily any motivation to extend. He gets a big pay day this year and he is set up to get another big pay day (if he stays healthy and produces another 8-10 sack season) next spring because the salary cap will go up because of the new tv deals. I am sure he will see offers avg 10-12 million avg over 3 years (can't see someone offering him for the 4th he would be 37). I don't see him just giving away money and resigning if he is unhappy with the new system. He is in the driver seat. The only thing that could happen that would be bad for him is to get cut because most teams have spent their FA money but I'm sure someone would scrap together 8 mill or so to pick him up. He is stuck here unless we find a trade partner. If Denver is interested in Samuels why couldn't we find someone interested in Dwight.

Minus Dwight isnt in the driver seat though the Colts are.Like you said most teams are right up against the cap so if you pressure Freeney now to restructure its your best shot at keeping him.What team has 14 mill to pay him this year?Or even 10 i think the FO has the reigns if they would just pull a little and see how he acts they would know more.

Minus Dwight isnt in the driver seat though the Colts are.Like you said most teams are right up against the cap so if you pressure Freeney now to restructure its your best shot at keeping him.What team has 14 mill to pay him this year?Or even 10 i think the FO has the reigns if they would just pull a little and see how he acts they would know more.

I understand..but I think they are looking to him to be a leader on this team and to put that pressure on him it could make him disgruntled and then you start off the year with basically your best player disgruntled and it has a negative vibe in the locker room. This is a young team and a not very good team. Losing our best player might not help build the locker room. I understand your view because I would like to move him to or get his cap figure below 10 million but it is clear that isn't happening so no reason to have a disgruntled leader in your locker room.