Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2022 NFL Combine Day 4(CB, S, ST)

Last day of on-field work at the combine. Some of the most exciting athletes will test today - the cornerbacks, safeties and... some special teamers. 

It seems like today they start at 2:00PM. 

Here are some of the measurements:

https://walterfootball.com/combine/weighin/db/arm/desc

Since it's relatively clear Ballard has a soft requirement for CBs to have long arms(over 32" seems to be the threshold), here are all the DBs that have measured with over 32" arms(not full list, some seem to yet be measured):

Tariq Woolen, Texas-San Antonio 33.50 !!!

Jaylen Watson, Washington State 32.75

Akayleb Evans, Missouri 32.38

Joshua Williams, Fayetteville State University 32.25

Sam Webb, Missouri Western 32.00

Here are more, and there seems to be some corrections on the list above:

Tariq Woolen, Texas-San Antonio 33.63

Martin Emerson, Mississippi State 33.50

Ahmad Gardner, Cincinnati 33.50

Joshua Williams, Fayetteville State University 32.88

Joshua Jobe, Alabama 32.63

Vincent Gray, Michigan 32.38

Alontae Taylor, Tennessee 32.25

Jaylen Watson, Washington State 32.25

Sam Webb, Missouri Western 32.13

Akayleb Evans, Missouri 32.00

Some CBs 40s:

Jalyn Armour-Davis - 4.44

Kalon Barnes 4.29

Montaric Brown 4.60

Coby Bryant 4.55

Tariq Castro-Fields 4.47 

Decobie Durant 4.41

Kaiir Elam - 4.47

Martin Emerson - 4.58

Akayleb Evans - 4.51

DaMarcus Fields - 4.52

Ahmad Gardner - 4.47

Mario Goodrich - 4.61

Kyler Gordon - 4.57

Vincent Gray - 4.57

Jack Jones - 4.48

Chase Lucas - 4.55

Damarri Mathis - 4.40

Zyon McCollum - 4.40

Roger McCreary - 4.55

Trent McDuffie - 4.46

Christ Steele - 4.50

Alontae Taylor - 4.41

Cam Taylor-Britt - 4.45

Isaac Taylor-Stuart - 4.49

Josh Thompson - 4.43

Jermaine Waller - 4.68

Jaylen Watson - 4.51

Sam Webb - 4.49

Joshua WIlliams - 4.57

Mykael Wright - 4.58

Tariq Woolen - 4.31 and 4.30 !!!!! DAMN

Punters:

Matt Araiza - 4.70... 

Jake Camarda - 4.61

Jordan Stout 4.67

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

We will have to take him in R2 if we want him, right? He won't last until the middle of the 3d? 

He was at the Senior Bowl which helps for Ballard. Is he a typical “zone” guy. If so that mixed with the small school might help him go into the mid rounds. 

8 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

He was at the Senior Bowl which helps for Ballard. Is he a typical “zone” guy. If so that mixed with the small school might help him go into the mid rounds. 

He was one of the standouts at the Senior Bowl and reportedly Ballard was watching him a lot during practices. 

Even if we don't think he's ready right away, this type of physical traits just don't last until day 3. Teams just take a shot on the athleticism and hope to develop the guy. Super big, super long, super fast ... I really don't think he lasts past R2-early R3 ... 

I don’t see the Colts taking a CB high.  I see them adding someone like Hayward then drafting a zone corner on day 3.  I do see at least one safety drafted to go with Bradley’s scheme. Iowa played a lot of 4-2-5 like the Colts. Dane Belton was the safety down in the box there in what Iowa calls the CASH position.  Belton should have been Big Ten Dback of the year in my opinion not Riley Moss. Moss missed too many games.  Belton just ran a 4.45. 

35 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

I don’t see the Colts taking a CB high.  I see them adding someone like Hayward then drafting a zone corner on day 3.  I do see at least one safety drafted to go with Bradley’s scheme. Iowa played a lot of 4-2-5 like the Colts. Dane Belton was the safety down in the box there in what Iowa calls the CASH position.  Belton should have been Big Ten Dback of the year in my opinion not Riley Moss. Moss missed too many games.  Belton just ran a 4.45. 

I agree they wouldn't want to take a CB at 47.  However, they may be obliged to, if the WR's they want are all gone.

3 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

I agree they wouldn't want to take a CB at 47.  However, they may be obliged to, if the WR's they want are all gone.

So do you really think that Ballards board has a bunch of WR's rated ahead of any other position?

They will rate players from top to bottom and take the BPA  and if its close it will lean toward need.   But if there are trenches guys, CB's safety all rated above the WR they aren't going to reach for need   

This team still has holes at every level.   You take the best player 

If they have a need they need to handle that in FA 

37 minutes ago, ChuggaBeer said:

So do you really think that Ballards board has a bunch of WR's rated ahead of any other position?

They will rate players from top to bottom and take the BPA  and if its close it will lean toward need.   But if there are trenches guys, CB's safety all rated above the WR they aren't going to reach for need   

I agree with you. If a corner with a high grade drops it’s possible. However, all things being equal I think Ballard takes a WR, TE, or LT before a CB.  Can’t have too many corners but as far as a the holes you mentioned CB ranks near the bottom. 

9 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

I agree with you. If a corner with a high grade drops it’s possible. However, all things being equal I think Ballard takes a WR, TE, or LT before a CB.  Can’t have too many corners but as far as a the holes you mentioned CB ranks near the bottom. 

Although I don't put too much stock in the simulator mock drafts.  It is very interesting to run them and see who is actually on the board and how they are ranked by the ranking system.    Then you see how much of a reach it can be to just set a position to draft such as WR  when there could be a top safety or CB or Dline available that grades much higher

As I run these.  I have had S Lewis Cine fall many times to us and also Skyy Moore.   and I would take Cine every time if it were me 

16 minutes ago, Matabix said:

You get someone like Tariq Woolen DB is a position we don't have to worry about. As long he's as good as we think he is. WR and TE may need to be addressed in FA depending who falls to us in 3rd and 4th rounds.

I would slow down on the Woolen hype. He tested that well because not even two years ago he was playing WR. You always have to be careful with those types of DBs. A lot of times when colleges have these big/fast guys that can’t catch and run routes, they stick them at DB. I’m not using this as a computer but remember TJ Green? Super big and super fast for a safety, but he wasn’t a good receiver so his last 2 years they turned him into a DB.

I think Akayleb Evans is much better. Long arms, about 6’1” and fast in his own right at 4.46 official. Transferred from Toledo to Missouri and had no issues in the jump in competition.

9 hours ago, ChuggaBeer said:

Yes, I know the principle of BPA.  And you don't just draft for need.  But I'm also certain that CB won't be taking an off-ball linebacker or a box safety at 47.  He knows the teams needs as well as anyone else.

I would also venture that sticking to BPA regardless of need could possibly land a budding general manager with a team that has all of its best players in odd positions.  Like we've never seen that before!  *sarcasm alert*

Tariq Woolen sounds like he could be the next second round TJ Green or Ben Banogu.

I see 2-3 year starter Cam Taylor Britt ran a 4.45, and 3-4 year starter Roger McCreary ran a 4.55.  Zone corner candidates.

I wonder if Woolen could play FS?  Any ball instincts?

3 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Yes, I know the principle of BPA.  And you don't just draft for need.  But I'm also certain that CB won't be taking an off-ball linebacker or a box safety at 47.  He knows the teams needs as well as anyone else.

I would also venture that sticking to BPA regardless of need could possibly land a budding general manager with a team that has all of its best players in odd positions.  Like we've never seen that before!  *sarcasm alert*

If Lewis Cine is there I think he takes him even at safety 

11 minutes ago, ChuggaBeer said:

Don't know much about him but what a great name. LOL

Smoke Monday is my favorite player in this draft.  He won't get picked on day 1, and maybe even not on day 2.  He's viewed more as a box safety, even though he did spend time time as a free safety center fielder.  His calling card is the violence with which he hits.  He doesn't do shoestring tackles or cross-body checks, hoping the guy would trip over him.  No.  He goes head on, facemask to facemask, stopping the guy in his tracks, and wrestling him down like a steer.  He does have a bad habit of hitting with the crown of his helmet, which he needs to cure himself of.  At the combine, he had that long, lean predator look that Darius Leonard has.  Here's a highlight on him.  Totally love this guy.

3 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Smoke Monday is my favorite player in this draft.  He won't get picked on day 1, and maybe even not on day 2.  He's viewed more as a box safety, even though he did spend time time as a free safety center fielder.  His calling card is the violence with which he hits.  He doesn't do shoestring tackles or cross-body checks, hoping the guy would trip over him.  No.  He goes head on, facemask to facemask, stopping the guy in his tracks, and wrestling him down like a steer.  He does have a bad habit of hitting with the crown of his helmet, which he needs to cure himself of.  At the combine, he had that long, lean predator look that Darius Leonard has.  Here's a highlight on him.  Totally love this guy.

Yea Big hitter.  Hopefully his body hold up in the NFL.  

15 hours ago, ChuggaBeer said:

Although I don't put too much stock in the simulator mock drafts.  It is very interesting to run them and see who is actually on the board and how they are ranked by the ranking system.    Then you see how much of a reach it can be to just set a position to draft such as WR  when there could be a top safety or CB or Dline available that grades much higher

As I run these.  I have had S Lewis Cine fall many times to us and also Skyy Moore.   and I would take Cine every time if it were me 

Safety is important in Bradley’s system. It wouldn’t shock me.  A CB seems far less likely to me. 

1 minute ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Safety is important in Bradley’s system. It wouldn’t shock me.  A CB seems far less likely to me. 

I am always a secondary guy.  Just me I guess . I love the positions and its great to see shut down corners and great safety play 

On 3/7/2022 at 11:12 AM, John Hammonds said:

I watched Lewis Cine in the combine.  Liked him a lot.  He's a more talented and athletic version of my favorite player, Smoke Monday.

The guy hits!

Now that we have an extra pick, maybe we fill our FS role with Cine

Archived