runthepost

Nelson contract situation   

85 members have voted

1. 1. Nelson contract situation

• Sign Nelson at that price
    • Trade Nelson/ let him walk
    • Lower the contract to 16M a year

4 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

Honest question not being snarky. I’ve seen two posters call Q “transformational.” How so? Has he transformed the way OGs in the NFL play the position? Has he transformed our team? I don’t think so on either. If you’re saying he’s transformed our line, I mean I guess, but that seems like an odd way to use the word and given the line’s late-season collapse…I don’t know, I think that word “transformational” is being thrown around and I don’t understand. He’s an All Pro and a great player, to be sure. 

Our OL collapse this year was more about LT, and underwhelming play by C. I don't think play calling helped either, but LT was plenty bad enough on it's own in pass pro. Personnel usage could have been better IMO. The best LT play all year was when Pryor came in late season lol.. 

Nelson was actually pretty darn good given he was playing almost immediately after surgery and hobbled for a large part of the year. He was clearly not his old self, but only allowing one sack with foot and back issues all year is phenomenal under the circumstance. 

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

Honest question not being snarky. I’ve seen two posters call Q “transformational.” How so? Has he transformed the way OGs in the NFL play the position? Has he transformed our team? I don’t think so on either. If you’re saying he’s transformed our line, I mean I guess, but that seems like an odd way to use the word and given the line’s late-season collapse…I don’t know, I think that word “transformational” is being thrown around and I don’t understand. He’s an All Pro and a great player, to be sure. 

When I use the term, it is in reference to the attitude he has brought to the entire Colts offensive line. 

9 hours ago, ShuteAt168 said:

They're talking about the 4 years since he's been here.

Braden Smith and Mark Glowinski were added at the same time, to a line that already had AC and Kelly.  Forgetting about Smith and Glow, and a healthy AC and Kelly, leads to the idea that Nelson transformed the line from being bad to good all by himself.

And we had that tough guy oline coach who brought nasty attitude to the oline...until he got fired.

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Well then, $20M for Nelson looks like the correct price tag.  

I wonder if WFT got $18M worth of winning games from Scherff.

Scherff played on the franchise tag for the second time in a row, which is why it was that high. Apparently, Scherff turned down a multi-year deal that would have made him the highest-paid G in the NFL. But I couldn't find what it was.

The Colts could definitely go that route with Q...and I am guessing it would be close to $22M by the second time they use it in 2024.

As for WFT getting that value...hard to say. Scherff had another PB season, but he also missed several games. And that has been the case for the past few seasons.

Q is now dealing with injuries as well. Hopefully Scherff isn't a cautionary tale.

On 1/31/2022 at 6:50 AM, Colt.45 said:

Ballard will pay him unless there's an offer too good to refuse.

Now the question is....where's that offer coming from? Who else in the league is going to trade a 1st rounder for the player, AND have to pay him what we're inevitably going to pay?

This was always going to be the issue with the way Ballard chose to build his roster. We're paying Q, that much is certain unless something unforeseen manifests itself. Low odds of that happening.

A team like the Bengals who have a low QB salary but need O-line help. Pick #31-32?

3 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

The problem isn’t paying nelson that. The problem is the oline all getting paid at the same time.  They need some cheap rookie contracts in there. 

That's why I think it is not going to be a good thing overall to give him that money. This is the situation we are in.  We have an expensive line already WITHOUT a LT signed

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

So KC makes it to the Superbowl last year and this year after signing that Guard to big money they don't. I guess he did make that much of a difference lol! 

I think that KC revamped their entire oline and basically had a worse year than they had previously.  Lived and died with the QB, the Z, and the TE I guess.

On 2/1/2022 at 9:58 AM, shasta519 said:

Jamal Adams netted TWO 1st round picks (that were supposed to be late 1st rounders). DeFo netted the #13 pick.

So there is definitely a market for Q.

u keep thinking that. So tell me a guard going into his final year and wanting a new contract. What do you think a team would trade to get him?

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

So KC makes it to the Superbowl last year and this year after signing that Guard to big money they don't. I guess he did make that much of a difference lol! 

Well to be fair they lost both of their tackles for the season during the AFC championship game that year. 

Archived