Who do you want as DC?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want as DC?

2. 2. What do you prefer as base D?

• 4-3
    • 3-4
    • Doesn't matter if we're playing Nickel/Dime most of the time

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/28/2022 at 07:41 AM

14 hours ago, ar7 said:

If it turns out to be Chris Harris:

Below is a link to a YouTube video of a press conference he had in training camp a couple years ago with Washington. Since he hasn't been a HC or DC before there isn't a ton out there on him but this was the best one I found if you are interested in trying to gauge what he would bring if he ends up as the Colts DC.

YouTube: DBS Coach Chris Harris' Training Camp Press Conference

Thanks for the info.  I'm obviously super skeptical if it ends up being Harris.  Or maybe I'm .ore disappointed because it feels like a clear signal that the team is several years of development away, (which I may be deluding myself into not believing anyway) and I just hoped we'd be in the thick of it in a year or two..... I'm trying to warm up to the idea of Harris as the lead guy on D.  It will all come down to who he can surround himself with for me, if he is the guy, until there's actual game results to go on....

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Jason has always nailed the coaching hires. So I would take this to the bank.

Welp, if this happens Ballard/Reich will either look like a genius or the opposite.

Schwartz wouldn’t have been a home run hire but I would’ve been a lot more confident in our pass rush being fixed. We’re gonna need really good position coaches with Harris.

10 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

He has never been DC so this is just wrong. He has never been fully in charge of a defense. It says a lot that A Ballard guy impressed Reich that much.

This is also the reason you have to throw out every post or "article" with people giving him credit for "calling an aggressive defense" he hasn't called anything but his mamma in his career....

Also confused as to the great "development" skills he has with DBs.... The WFT DBs we're more like wth.....  And the safety with the chargers?  Anyone could have developed him, it's not like the guys career arc regressed after Harris' extremely short term influence on him....

5 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Welp, if this happens Ballard/Reich will either look like a genius or the opposite.

Schwartz wouldn’t have been a home run hire but I would’ve been a lot more confident in our pass rush being fixed. We’re gonna need really good position coaches with Harris.

That's my issue.  There's zero to indicate that Harris will pull more solid to amazing position guys than Schwartz... He might, and again, it's on the surface...

But there appears to be once again, too much weight put into connections developed during a consistently crap era of Chicago Bears football.....

15 hours ago, EastStreet said:

So sounding like he's confirming, but not officially confirming Harris lol....

That's just a lazy tweet looking for clicks lol... "not my place....., but....."

I don't know.  The "guy the colts were Targeting a few days ago" was Schwartz just as much as it was Harris.  Why hasn't Harris been announced?  There doesn't seem to be any reason to delay bringing him on and getting ahead of other teams in securing position coaches.....  So why not make the move already if Harris "blew them away" in the interviews..... 

23 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I don't blame the Colts for taking their time at all. They need to figure out who will maximize their investment in the defense so far and who has the best creativity to mix and match pieces that they have. On that front, Schwartz is a known commodity, and Harris not so much. Plus, Schwartz has the clout to bring in a lot of respected assistants with him, that is an aspect Ballard cannot ignore. Ballard should know the list of assistant and position coaches Schwartz and Harris have in mind, and I think that will end up being the tie-breaker, even if it is not revealed to the fans or media as a criteria, IMO.

My only question is, do their interviews include asking about their choices for position coaches?

7 minutes ago, Jackie Daytona said:

I don't know.  The "guy the colts were Targeting a few days ago" was Schwartz just as much as it was Harris.  Why hasn't Harris been announced?  There doesn't seem to be any reason to delay bringing him on and getting ahead of other teams in securing position coaches.....  So why not make the move already if Harris "blew them away" in the interviews..... 

Honestly I have zero clue. I only know I've seen more rumblings about Harris being the guy than anyone else. Could be completely wrong. When they started interviewing, I thought it would be Richard or Schwartz, probably more Richard given Ballard's fixation with Seattle's D. Neither of the two really move the needle for me to me. None of the candidates mentioned thus far blow me away at all. Harris would be a huge meh given his lack of experience, but more his lack of upper coaching.

Overall, don't really care much lol... I think Flus was overrated, but not sure the conservative play calling (cushion, lack of blitz) was really him, or strategy from on high... Anyway, just more interested to see what Flus's D look like in his new gig, and how our D looks with a new DC. If Flus's new team looks more aggressive than Indy has the last 4 years, and we look the same, we'll be able to make some assumptions lol....

As far as announcements, and timing, I'm guessing they won't announce anything (even if they've already settled Ts&Cs) until after the PB game. We have a lot of guys playing, so no need to take the Indy spotlight off them. I know fans care less about the PB, and more about the new DC, but they're likely trying to let the players have their moment.

9 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I don't blame the Colts for taking their time at all. They need to figure out who will maximize their investment in the defense so far and who has the best creativity to mix and match pieces that they have. On that front, Schwartz is a known commodity, and Harris not so much. Plus, Schwartz has the clout to bring in a lot of respected assistants with him, that is an aspect Ballard cannot ignore. Ballard should know the list of assistant and position coaches Schwartz and Harris have in mind, and I think that will end up being the tie-breaker, even if it is not revealed to the fans or media as a criteria, IMO.

Yeah, I’m sure they do. My uneducated guess is that if Harris gets the job then Ballard will have a heavy input on position coaches.

17 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Yeah, I’m sure they do. My uneducated guess is that if Harris gets the job then Ballard will have a heavy input on position coaches.

Ballard already said in his interview with bears radio he wanted the new DC to pick his own guys. I am sure he will have some but I think Harris will have a huge say.

1 minute ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Ballard already said in his interview with bears radio he wanted the new DC to pick his own guys. I am sure he will have some but I think Harris will have a huge say.

I mean, I more just wonder 1. How many coaching connections he has (I know he’s an ex player, but still) and 2. How many guys will jump at the chance to work for a 1st year DC with little coaching experience.

I’d imagine we’ll get a lot of under the radar guys (even for position coaches).

31 minutes ago, chad72 said:

My only question is, do their interviews include asking about their choices for position coaches?

I think there may a difference between Schwartz and Harris here.  Does Harris have the contacts, the pool of knowledge to know who would be good assistant and positional coaches.  Maybe he does, but it would seem that Schwartz would have the depth of experience in separating out good coaches form not so good.....or he could have blinders and favorites.

Does Harris bring a long a veteran assistant or a bunch of green guys?

26 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I agree. But I think more indirectly, than directly....

I'm guessing the dynamics are typically this when hiring coordinators (O & D)

• If you hire a coordinator with a long history of HC or Coordinator experience 
    • the new guy likely already fits the Owner's/GM's/HC's vision of what they want the D to look like
    • the hiring group is probably already comfortable with guys he'd bring in
  • If you hire a first timer (promotion from position coaching ranks)
    • The hiring group clearly communicates their vision of what they want the D to look like
    • The new guy either 
      1. Sincerely/naturally fits the vision, or
      2. Doesn't naturally fit, but agrees to buy in, or
      3. Says no thanks, that's not a D I want to run, or
      4. Doesn't naturally fit the vision, and tries to sell the hiring group on his vision

If he's 1, the new DC will likely see eye to eye and it'll be a partnered effort with identifying and hiring

If he's 2, Ballard or Frank might be more heavy handed in the process

The #2 always scares me. That's why when I hire, I always ask the candidate to communicate their vision first. I don't want someone saying all the right things (but not believe them) just to get hired or promoted. 

18 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I mean, I more just wonder 1. How many coaching connections he has (I know he’s an ex player, but still) and 2. How many guys will jump at the chance to work for a 1st year DC with little coaching experience.

I’d imagine we’ll get a lot of under the radar guys (even for position coaches).

Yeah I agree with that. That’s where your probably right Ballard will have a lot of suggestions for him to bring in.

2 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

No everyone is down at the senior bowl. I trust Jason on this because he is right about hires. It will be announced probably Monday when everyone gets back. Reich is the only one not at the senior bowl. He might of Wentz there by now thought.

I think it's about both availability (SR Bowl) but also the Pro Bowl. 

We have a lot of guys at the Pro Bowl, and the FO may not want to steal their spotlight right now. 

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I think it's about both availability (SR Bowl) but also the Pro Bowl. 

We have a lot of guys at the Pro Bowl, and the FO may not want to steal their spotlight right now. 

Yes probably. I am very confident it’s Harris. It’s hard to mess up concrete news like hires. That’s why they are usually right with them.

I do hope they bring someone experienced in to guide him. 

5 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Yes probably. I am very confident it’s Harris. It’s hard to mess up concrete news like hires. That’s why they are usually right with them.

I do hope they bring someone experienced in to guide him. 

If it's Harris, then IMO Ballard will have his fingerprints all over the coordinators and scheme.

Harris doesn't have DC experience, and really doesn't have all that much coaching experience lol.

His network can't be all that mature either. 

Ballard Build-a-Bear?

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Funny lol...

I'd rather have Bradley than Harris. Bradley was Harris' boss at one stop IIRC.

Maybe were back to the Seattle D fixation... 

Maybe they are both right. Maybe one is DC and another some kind of assistant. That’s interesting that they have worked with each other. That makes me think they will both be brought in. Maybe Bradley as DC and Harris as his understudy.  Wouldnt make sense the other way.

20 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Maybe they are both right. Maybe one is DC and another some kind of assistant. That’s interesting that they have worked with each other. That makes me think they will both be brought in. Maybe Bradley as DC and Harris as his understudy.  Wouldnt make sense the other way.

That's my thiking.

GB as DC, and give Harris the title of DBs/Pass Game Coordinator

6 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Some people  have mentioning how colts need a defensive pass game coordinator. With his background that would fit him well. 

His WFT pass D was not good, but hard to judge him on that purely. 

Could have been the scheme and talent he was operating with, could have been the DC's calls, etc..

I'm more than fine with him as a position coach. Just not as a DC. 

I do wish Rowe would have stayed. 

37 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Gotta figure too that if the Defense does well in year two, Bradley might be on the short list for a HC job.  He could be a short timer in that regard.

20 hours ago, ar7 said:

If it turns out to be Chris Harris:

Below is a link to a YouTube video of a press conference he had in training camp a couple years ago with Washington. Since he hasn't been a HC or DC before there isn't a ton out there on him but this was the best one I found if you are interested in trying to gauge what he would bring if he ends up as the Colts DC.

YouTube: DBS Coach Chris Harris' Training Camp Press Conference

He says the def is only as tough as the dbs and he likes tough corners.  I think he’ll love rys. 

11 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Seahawks guy so don’t know why he would have sources to confirm or deny that.

Seattle was hiring a DC. So he was saying GB was not a candidate to return there (where he once coached). There was earlier speculation he may go back. 

Seattle is promoting internally for the position (Hurtt).

16 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

If it is Bradley it stands to reason he should be able to bring quite a few coaches with him from the Raiders.  That would be another plus.

Bradly makes a lot of sense , especially with the success he's had with pass rushers .

Archived