Who do you want as DC?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want as DC?

2. 2. What do you prefer as base D?

• 4-3
    • 3-4
    • Doesn't matter if we're playing Nickel/Dime most of the time

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/28/2022 at 07:41 AM

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

How is that obvious?

I was being sarcastic.

I think both have strong input in decisions but I don't think Ballard is going to force a DC or position coaches on Frank. I think there is evidence, as with Brian Baker, that Reich has a say.

3 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Sounds like we might find out today.

Since I am not in the interview room or know what CB and FR are looking for I will trust they are picking the right guy.  I assume it is going to be Schwartz but I am hoping for Richards

38 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Are we going to have a DC here soon? Hopefully.

I just got off the phone with Chris. He told me who it's gonna be but swore me to secrecy. He said an announcement should be made soon

I told him if the announcement isn't made by 4pm in spillin the beans

1 hour ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Sounds like we might find out today.

This sounds hopeful if you're pulling for candidates other than Harris as the lead man for the D.  I'd be all for Harris in an apprenticeship role as a DB coach co/coordinator, or even as a DC with a heavy influence from a veteran guy like Schwartz or Bradley, doubt Richard is old enough to be cool with that role, but yeah.... Harris by himself?  I hope those reports were the gun jumping being referred to here.

5 minutes ago, SchlicterSZN said:

This sounds hopeful if you're pulling for candidates other than Harris as the lead man for the D.  I'd be all for Harris in an apprenticeship role as a DB coach co/coordinator, or even as a DC with a heavy influence from a veteran guy like Schwartz or Bradley, doubt Richard is old enough to be cool with that role, but yeah.... Harris by himself?  I hope those reports were the gun jumping being referred to here.

Does make me think that report was wrong.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Bears will hire Colts safeties coach Alan Williams as their defensive coordinator.

Williams will follow Matt Eberflus to Chicago after the two worked together for four years in Indianapolis. Williams was also a candidate to replace Eberflus as the Colts' next defensive coordinator. He has over 20 years of experience in the NFL including two seasons as the Vikings' defensive coordinator. Eberflus and Williams will attempt to recalibrate Chicago's defense after the squad put together a disappointing season in 2021.

Related:

Indianapolis Colts

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Feb 2, 2022, 1:13 PM ET

Looks like another spot to fill.

16 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Well we can pretty much scratch Flores off the list lol.  Yes I am joking.

Actually, I was thinking we could put Flores back on the list. I thought he would end up with a HC position, now I am not so sure. I am very impressed with his former players going to back for him. All he has ever done was wanting to win games. 

I still think the Colt players quit on FR and his staff last year. We need someone more innovative and aggressive than we have had in the past. There are some very qualified Coaches out there to choose from

Not to sure I want another Friend-of-Franks. No more 0 and 3 starts, no more blown 20 point leads because we are in a soft Zone Defense. A Coach that puts our players in the best position to win would refreshing

Just my 2cents

1 hour ago, onebad150 said:

Actually, I was thinking we could put Flores back on the list. I thought he would end up with a HC position, now I am not so sure. I am very impressed with his former players going to back for him. All he has ever done was wanting to win games. 

I still think the Colt players quit on FR and his staff last year. We need someone more innovative and aggressive than we have had in the past. There are some very qualified Coaches out there to choose from

Not to sure I want another Friend-of-Franks. No more 0 and 3 starts, no more blown 20 point leads because we are in a soft Zone Defense. A Coach that puts our players in the best position to win would refreshing

Just my 2cents

I don’t think any NFL team is touching him while he has lawsuit going on.

2 hours ago, onebad150 said:

Just my 2cents

Networking in the NFL is just as common as in other areas in the private sector. Its all about building relationships.  Nothing wrong with it.  Flus is taking guys he can count on from us.  Whoever we hire to to replace him will draw from his relationships over the years to build his staff.  I’m perfectly good with it.  BTW I don’t think for one moment our team decided to quit on Frank and his staff.  If anything I think Frank and his staff did a terrible job game planning and getting the team ready to play mentally for that Jac game.  For me I blame the coaches for that horrible performance.

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

Networking in the NFL is just as common as in other areas in the private sector. Its all about building relationships.  Nothing wrong with it.  Flus is taking guys he can count on from us.  Whoever we hire to to replace him will draw from his relationships over the years to build his staff.  I’m perfectly good with it.  BTW I don’t think for one moment our team decided to quit on Frank and his staff.  If anything I think Frank and his staff did a terrible job game planning and getting the team ready to play mentally for that Jac game.  For me I blame the coaches for that horrible performance.

I was just about to comment on your very good post.    Right up until the last two sentences when the car made an unexpected turn I didn’t see coming and ran right off the road.   Oh well….   

2 hours ago, onebad150 said:

Just my 2cents

“The players quit on the staff…”

Dear God….      :facepalm:        :wall:

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Our search has suddenly gone quiet.  Those were great candidates we brought in.  I would have thought we would have made a hire by now.  Starting to feel like there was no clear cut winner.  Hopefully it’s just a matter of dotting the i’s and crossing the t’s.

Or they are considering someone from Cincinnati or the Rams?

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would hire Flores as my DC and change the scheme. I stick by it.

I was open to that earlier, but I'm not touching that hot potato now. 

There's taking chances, and then there's grabbing a lightening rod in a bad storm and praying for a strike... 

We simply don't need the distraction.

6 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Networking in the NFL is just as common as in other areas in the private sector. Its all about building relationships.  Nothing wrong with it.  Flus is taking guys he can count on from us.  Whoever we hire to to replace him will draw from his relationships over the years to build his staff.  I’m perfectly good with it.

Yup. I'd even say most guys, prior to getting promoted, or even interviewed, have thought about "when the time comes".... They already have their list of folks they'd like to hire if they ever get a chance. Goes for every position.... GM, Coach, OC, DC, etc.. 

In the private sector, I've had to hire a ton of folks over the last 25 years. If I was hiring in an area/geo I didn't have a lot of experience in, I'd have to interview a ton. If it was an area/geo I had a lot of experience in, and knew a lot of people, I already knew who I wanted, and had a stack rank ready to go. You don't always get who you want, and you should always interview to broaden your pool of candidates (even if only for down the line). And there's nothing wrong with knowing exactly who you want (wired jobs). 

6 hours ago, richard pallo said:

BTW I don’t think for one moment our team decided to quit on Frank and his staff.  If anything I think Frank and his staff did a terrible job game planning and getting the team ready to play mentally for that Jac game.  For me I blame the coaches for that horrible performance.

Either way, blame goes back to coaching. Either the players were prepped badly, or didn't respond to good prep. The entire team / every unit looked atrocious, so I'd say chances is you're correct (bad prep / bad game plan). Still, we have individual talent that should have stood out vs Jax even with bad prep and game plan, and that's scary to think why they might have not cared, or packed it in.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Could be but I like Flores.

Here’s the problem with hiring Flores….  He’s mostly a 3-4 guy.   

Our DL is built around Buckner, Paye and Dayo all of whom are 4-3 DL guys.  Plus Leonard is a 4-3 LB.  

Those guys would be round pegs for square holes.   Bad fits.   So Flores wouldn’t work for us.   And, to be clear, I like Flores.  He shouldn’t have lost his job and I hope he lands another. 

57 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Here’s the problem with hiring Flores….  He’s mostly a 3-4 guy.   

Our DL is built around Buckner, Paye and Dayo all of whom are 4-3 DL guys.  Plus Leonard is a 4-3 LB.  

Those guys would be round pegs for square holes.   Bad fits.   So Flores wouldn’t work for us.   And, to be clear, I like Flores.  He shouldn’t have lost his job and I hope he lands another. 

Paye, Defo, and Dayo, are all fine for a 3-4. They all came from 3-4 systems, or at minimum flex systems (Paye).

Michigan used both fronts (more 3-4 than 4-3) and Paye lined up inside and out.

Defo came from Oregon, who was a 3-4, and he played their DE positoin.

Dayo also comes from a 3-4 (Vandy), and played their DE position. 

All three were lined up all over the place. 

Leonard would also be fine for 3-4. At SC State, they play a funky hybrid. IIRC, a 3-3-5, and Leonard lined up all over including hand in the dirt DE and MLB. And lots of NFL 3-4s have a lighter ILB that lines up behind the rushing EDGE/OLB.

So not really round pegs in square holes. One could even say Defo, Dayo, and Paye are all better suited for 3-4 DL. 

I'd also add that Turay and Banogu might both be better suited as rushing Edge/OLBs.

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Paye, Defo, and Dayo, are all fine for a 3-4. They all came from 3-4 systems, or at minimum flex systems (Paye).

Michigan used both fronts (more 3-4 than 4-3) and Paye lined up inside and out.

Defo came from Oregon, who was a 3-4, and he played their DE positoin.

Dayo also comes from a 3-4 (Vandy), and played their DE position. 

All three were lined up all over the place. 

Leonard would also be fine for 3-4. At SC State, they play a funky hybrid. IIRC, a 3-3-5, and Leonard lined up all over including hand in the dirt DE and MLB. And lots of NFL 3-4s have a lighter ILB that lines up behind the rushing EDGE/OLB.

So not really round pegs in square holes. One could even say Defo, Dayo, and Paye are all better suited for 3-4 DL. 

I'd also add that Turay and Banogu might both be better suited as rushing Edge/OLBs.

Thanks....   appreciate the post.    Some good 411 in there.    I had forgotton both DeFo and Dayo played 3-4 DL in college.

That said.....

I think it's hard to argue DeFo is in the wrong system.   The team that drafted him, SF, drafted him for the 4-3 and he was great in their system.    The team that traded for him,  Indy,  got him to be in a 4-3.   And he's been great for us too.

Could he be good in a 3-4?   Probably.    But that brings me to a concept I try to remember.   Just because you can,  doesn't mean you should.    Just because DeFo can play a 3-4 DL,  doesn't mean he should.    He's excelled in the 4-3.  It's not broken,  let's not fix it.

Same with Darius.   Yes, he could be very good in a 3-4.   But how is going to be better?   The man has set records for LB play in each season he's played.    How do you argue he's in the wrong system,  when the 4-3 system we run features the WILL,  the position he was drafted for?    I think that's a really tough sell.

Dayo is an interesting case.   Played the 3-4,  but we drafted him for the 4-3.    Most DL taken in the first round are for the 4-3.   There are a small number of 3-4 DL taken in the first round,  but those guys are exceptions to the rule.   Yes, I know Dayo was taken in the 2nd,  but mostly due to injury.    We graded him as a 1st rounder.   We want to feature him in the 4-3.   The 4-3 is set for the DL to make plays.    The 3-4 is set to mostly have the DL hold up lineman so the LBers can make plays.   Dayo is a race horse.   We want him to make plays.   I don't want to use him as a plow horse.    Waste of his skill. 

Paye is interesting....   I just looked up Michigan's Defensive depth chart for 19 and 20.    And they ran a 4-3.   That was their primary front.    When he played inside and out,  that's DE and DT.    If you look at his profile,  there's very little that says OLB.    He's still learning the game.   We're mostly pointing him in one direction,  the QB.   I don't see us making him an OLB where he has to be able to go in every different direction.    Way too much to learn.    We're trying to keep things simple for him.    He seems much more a natural fit as a 4-3 DE than anything else.

That's my two cents,  plus a few more nickels and dimes tossed in at no extra charge.  Sorry for the long response.  Much to address.

13 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Not at all. We have plenty of player leadership to be up for a game. 

I would say that Wentz was mentally terrible, and I could understand if the defensive players laid down on Eberflus, being sick of his ways, thereby letting him and the powers that be know he needed to leave. And good riddance.

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thanks....   appreciate the post.    Some good 411 in there.    I had forgotton both DeFo and Dayo played 3-4 DL in college.

That said.....

I think it's hard to argue DeFo is in the wrong system.   The team that drafted him, SF, drafted him for the 4-3 and he was great in their system.    The team that traded for him,  Indy,  got him to be in a 4-3.   And he's been great for us too.

Could he be good in a 3-4?   Probably.    But that brings me to a concept I try to remember.   Just because you can,  doesn't mean you should.    Just because DeFo can play a 3-4 DL,  doesn't mean he should.    He's excelled in the 4-3.  It's not broken,  let's not fix it.

I mean, he played a 3-4 DE in college. And did you forget, when SF drafted him, SF was a 3-4, and Defo was a 3-4 DE/DT? 

2016 SF Depth Chart

https://www.49ers.com/news/2016-san-francisco-49ers-unofficial-depth-chart-17456807

Even when San Fran switched to a 4-3, they moved him around a bunch (which we don't do near as much). 

Also interesting blurb I found from a PFF article (from last year) talking about prototypical (perfect) fits for each Tech/Position. It listed Defo as the perfect fit for a 3-4 DE. 

Same with Darius.   Yes, he could be very good in a 3-4.   But how is going to be better?   The man has set records for LB play in each season he's played.    How do you argue he's in the wrong system,  when the 4-3 system we run features the WILL,  the position he was drafted for?    I think that's a really tough sell.

ILBs in a 3-4 are still typically both jack of all trades guys, similar to our LBs in the 4-2-5 (what we play most) we run. Depending on the DC, the ILBs might become a MIKE and TED. And if that were the case, at least on run downs, pretty sure Oke would end up being the TED, and Leonard the MIKE. But a lot of 3-4's ILBs retain the simple WILL and MIKE terms/concepts.

Dayo is an interesting case.   Played the 3-4,  but we drafted him for the 4-3.    Most DL taken in the first round are for the 4-3.   There are a small number of 3-4 DL taken in the first round,  but those guys are exceptions to the rule.   Yes, I know Dayo was taken in the 2nd,  but mostly due to injury.    We graded him as a 1st rounder.   We want to feature him in the 4-3.   The 4-3 is set for the DL to make plays.    The 3-4 is set to mostly have the DL hold up lineman so the LBers can make plays.   Dayo is a race horse.   We want him to make plays.   I don't want to use him as a plow horse.    Waste of his skill. 

Disagree to an extent. If you look at most successful 3-4s, there are plenty of 1R DLs. There are less 3-4s than 4-3s, so you have less 3-4s drafting.

Paye is interesting....   I just looked up Michigan's Defensive depth chart for 19 and 20.    And they ran a 4-3.   That was their primary front.    When he played inside and out,  that's DE and DT.    If you look at his profile,  there's very little that says OLB.    He's still learning the game.   We're mostly pointing him in one direction,  the QB.   I don't see us making him an OLB where he has to be able to go in every different direction.    Way too much to learn.    We're trying to keep things simple for him.    He seems much more a natural fit as a 4-3 DE than anything else.

Mike Macdonald was new to Michigan in 2020 (Paye's SR year). He's got a 3-4 background and employed a hybrid. Technically, Michigan lists a depth chart as 4-2-5, but they play plenty of 3-3-5 and 4-3-4. Detroit Free Press listed the depth chart as 3-4. You'll also see 4-2-5 and 4-3-4 depth charts depending on where you look.

I'll post MM's own words on his scheme below, but if you've watched his highlights, you know Paye has played all over the place in college. Inside and out (3 Tech to 9 Tech, and everywhere in between), standing up and hand in the dirt, and on and off the LOS. IMO he's 10lbs too small to play 3-4 DE/DT (that could be fixed with S&C), but we know he has the power to play there as he's already bull rushing OTs. And we've seen his lateral pursuit ability and speed chasing down guys this last season, so there's really not a lot a doubt he could play OLB, especially the power OLB position. Personally I think he could play 3 positions in a 3-4... 

Here's MM's own description of his scheme.

The Wolverines moved on from five-year defensive coordinator Don Brown and brought in first-time coordinator Mike Macdonald, who previously was the linebackers coach with the Baltimore Ravens and Georgia before that. There’s been a lot of speculation that, given his time in the NFL and working with Todd Grantham when he was with the Bulldogs, that Macdonald prefers a 3-4 scheme compared to the 4-3 base front that Brown utilized through much of his time in Ann Arbor.

But Macdonald, in his first media availability since taking the job in January, says that isn’t necessarily the case.

“Look, we’re gonna be multiple,” Macdonald said. “The best way I can describe our scheme is it’s gonna look a lot like the places I’ve been previously. But, you look at, you watch our Baltimore defense, and tell me the times we looked like a 3-4. There’s gonna be a certain percentage there. But there’s gonna be a lot of times we look like a 4-3, there’s gonna be sometimes where we’re 6-1, sometimes we’re gonna look like a 6-2. Sometimes you’re not gonna know what the heck it looks like.

“It’s hard for me to say that we’re gonna be a 3-4, per se. The thing about our defense that makes us unique is that it’s a series of concepts that we teach like, for example, there are things we teach our guys that there’s no call even involved with those concepts. We’re teaching this concept today, this concept tomorrow, we marry them together. There’s gonna be more of that and you marry it over time. Now that gives us the flexibility to build certain fronts, certain coverages and certain pressures that allows you to, one, for guys to do well what they do, and two, stop the offenses that you’re seeing.”

That's my two cents,  plus a few more nickels and dimes tossed in at no extra charge.  Sorry for the long response.  Much to address.

Good response, so don't apologize for being long.. Not saying I want to change. I'm just saying we have personnel that have played in 3-4s before, and we have a lot of personnel, even though they may have played in a 4-3 previously.. Many have both size and general measurables/traits, to fit a 3-4. What they were drafted for is not the end all. As you now know, Defo was drafted originally for a 3-4 and converted successfully. Every year a 4-3 team drafts a 3-4 guy, and vice versa. And every year a guy changes scheme. Autry has twice played DT, DE, in both 3-4s and 4-3s. Key things are that some have experience, and have excelled in a 3-4, and others have traits that translate. 

I'm probably going to dig deeper on the topic today/tonight, and may post in it's own thread. A lot of interesting things to ponder, and frankly I'm bored lol.. 

3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Mike Macdonald was new to Michigan in 2020 (Paye's SR year). He's got a 3-4 background and employed a hybrid. Technically, Michigan lists a depth chart as 4-2-5, but they play plenty of 3-3-5 and 4-3-4. Detroit Free Press listed the depth chart as 3-4. You'll also see 4-2-5 and 4-3-4 depth charts depending on where you look.

MacDonald didn't go to Michigan until 2021. That was his only season at Michigan so Kwity didn't play in his system. Don Brown was the Michigan DC when Kwity played.

Regardless I don't think it changes the point that Kwity can play in a 3-4 or a hybrid as you mentioned that Macdonald runs.

27 minutes ago, ar7 said:

MacDonald didn't go to Michigan until 2021. That was his only season at Michigan so Kwity didn't play in his system. Don Brown was the Michigan DC when Kwity played.

Regardless I don't think it changes the point that Kwity can play in a 3-4 or a hybrid as you mentioned that Macdonald runs.

Good catch. Wasn't Brown called Dr. Blitz, and also stunted at a high rate.

19 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Like I said no other assistants have been let go. They don’t seem to be close to a HC. They are a mess right now.

You'd typically dump the DC first. Then see if the new HC and new DC, want to retain any of the assistants. No reason to dump them if there are some you might want to retain. 

They've interviewed a lot of guys. Taking their time. Not sure what's messy about that. Pederson just interviewed for a 2nd time.

I'm guessing they're doing second/final rounds... and things may have come together... 

Darrell Bevell, Jaguars interim head coach (completed)

Rich Bisaccia, former Raiders interim coach/special teams coordinator (completed)

Todd Bowles, Buccaneers defensive coordinator (completed)

Jim Caldwell, former Lions and Colts head coach (completed)

Kellen Moore, Cowboys offensive coordinator (completed)

Bill O'Brien, former Texans head coach (completed)

Matt Eberflus, Colts defensive coordinator (hired by Bears)

Nathaniel Hackett, Packers offensive coordinator (hired by Broncos)

Kevin O'Connell, Rams offensive coordinator (expected to be hired by Vikings)

Byron Leftwich, Buccaneers offensive coordinator (second interview pending)

Doug Pederson, former Eagles head coach (second interview pending)

4 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I mean, he played a 3-4 DE in college. And did you forget, when SF drafted him, SF was a 3-4, and Defo was a 3-4 DE/DT? 

2016 SF Depth Chart

https://www.49ers.com/news/2016-san-francisco-49ers-unofficial-depth-chart-17456807

Even when San Fran switched to a 4-3, they moved him around a bunch (which we don't do near as much). 

Also interesting blurb I found from a PFF article (from last year) talking about prototypical (perfect) fits for each Tech/Position. It listed Defo as the perfect fit for a 3-4 DE. 

ILBs in a 3-4 are still typically both jack of all trades guys, similar to our LBs in the 4-2-5 (what we play most) we run. Depending on the DC, the ILBs might become a MIKE and TED. And if that were the case, at least on run downs, pretty sure Oke would end up being the TED, and Leonard the MIKE. But a lot of 3-4's ILBs retain the simple WILL and MIKE terms/concepts.

Disagree to an extent. If you look at most successful 3-4s, there are plenty of 1R DLs. There are less 3-4s than 4-3s, so you have less 3-4s drafting.

I'll post MM's own words on his scheme below, but if you've watched his highlights, you know Paye has played all over the place in college. Inside and out (3 Tech to 9 Tech, and everywhere in between), standing up and hand in the dirt, and on and off the LOS. IMO he's 10lbs too small to play 3-4 DE/DT (that could be fixed with S&C), but we know he has the power to play there as he's already bull rushing OTs. And we've seen his lateral pursuit ability and speed chasing down guys this last season, so there's really not a lot a doubt he could play OLB, especially the power OLB position. Personally I think he could play 3 positions in a 3-4... 

Here's MM's own description of his scheme.

The Wolverines moved on from five-year defensive coordinator Don Brown and brought in first-time coordinator Mike Macdonald, who previously was the linebackers coach with the Baltimore Ravens and Georgia before that. There’s been a lot of speculation that, given his time in the NFL and working with Todd Grantham when he was with the Bulldogs, that Macdonald prefers a 3-4 scheme compared to the 4-3 base front that Brown utilized through much of his time in Ann Arbor.

But Macdonald, in his first media availability since taking the job in January, says that isn’t necessarily the case.

“Look, we’re gonna be multiple,” Macdonald said. “The best way I can describe our scheme is it’s gonna look a lot like the places I’ve been previously. But, you look at, you watch our Baltimore defense, and tell me the times we looked like a 3-4. There’s gonna be a certain percentage there. But there’s gonna be a lot of times we look like a 4-3, there’s gonna be sometimes where we’re 6-1, sometimes we’re gonna look like a 6-2. Sometimes you’re not gonna know what the heck it looks like.

“It’s hard for me to say that we’re gonna be a 3-4, per se. The thing about our defense that makes us unique is that it’s a series of concepts that we teach like, for example, there are things we teach our guys that there’s no call even involved with those concepts. We’re teaching this concept today, this concept tomorrow, we marry them together. There’s gonna be more of that and you marry it over time. Now that gives us the flexibility to build certain fronts, certain coverages and certain pressures that allows you to, one, for guys to do well what they do, and two, stop the offenses that you’re seeing.”

Good response, so don't apologize for being long.. Not saying I want to change. I'm just saying we have personnel that have played in 3-4s before, and we have a lot of personnel, even though they may have played in a 4-3 previously.. Many have both size and general measurables/traits, to fit a 3-4. What they were drafted for is not the end all. As you now know, Defo was drafted originally for a 3-4 and converted successfully. Every year a 4-3 team drafts a 3-4 guy, and vice versa. And every year a guy changes scheme. Autry has twice played DT, DE, in both 3-4s and 4-3s. Key things are that some have experience, and have excelled in a 3-4, and others have traits that translate. 

I'm probably going to dig deeper on the topic today/tonight, and may post in it's own thread. A lot of interesting things to ponder, and frankly I'm bored lol.. 

Nice to see you and NCF having a civil and productive dialogue. You're two of the best posters on this Board. 

Archived