Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

James Mungro

Dingus McGirt

Some positive reading amongst the angst:  While waiting for some tests to be done for my wife this morning, here at Fort Bragg, NC - I went to the hospital cafeteria to get a coffee.  A gentleman decked out in Steelers attire saw my Colts ball cap, and came up to me.  “Are you a real Colts fan?” I told him “since 1967.”  He said I would know of his nephew, James Mungro.  He was proud of his catching the record-tying TD pass from Manning.  Nice little conversation.  :)

2 hours ago, Dunk said:

Just saw the great before the grandpa but I'll still ask: What years?

Raymond “Gaumie” Neal.  1929-1946

He coached an undefeated and unscored upon season in 1933. Overall record 80-34-6.  I believe the Fieldhouse is named after him. I unfortunately never met him but supposedly I look a lot like him.  

https://depauwtigers.com/honors_awards/hall_of_fame/bios/raymond-neal.html?view=bio

3 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Raymond “Gaumie” Neal.  1929-1946

He coached an undefeated and unscored upon season in 1933. Overall record 80-34-6.  I believe the Fieldhouse is named after him. I unfortunately never met him but supposedly I look a lot like him.  

https://depauwtigers.com/honors_awards/hall_of_fame/bios/raymond-neal.html?view=bio

Thanks, when I read closer I figured no way was he there when one of my high school teammates played there, 80-84.

Maybe with those genetics you could help out our D. A unscored upon defense is flat wild man. I love it! thanks for sharing.

11 minutes ago, Dunk said:

Thanks, when I read closer I figured no way was he there when one of my high school teammates played there, 80-84.

Maybe with those genetics you could help out our D. A unscored upon defense is flat wild man. I love it! thanks for sharing.

I thought about playing there in college but ended up staying in TN and going to school. I have two major regrets in life, not serving my country and didn’t get into coaching/teaching like half of my family. Either would be fantastic careers especially coaching where my grandpa did and carrying the torch. 

Worked Colts security for 12 (maybe 11 I'm getting old) during training camps in THaute. Mungro would pull this stunt often. After a practice he would walk out of the sports recreation center (showers, pool, weight room location) main doors instead of the normal players exit. He would then go down to where the fans would hang out looking for autographs and pretend he was a fan and not a player. He would be in the crowd and as players drove by (they had rental golf carts to drive around in) he would shout along with the fans trying to get players to stop. Once in a while he would get really silly and yell out how a player was not that good and he really didn't want that guy's autograph anyway. Best part would be eventually he would walk out and hitch a ride on one of the carts leaving the fans wondering who was that and what just happened. I would have to let them know that was James Mungro. I guess unlike basketball a pro football player can hide his identity somewhat if you're not a star player.

Archived