Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

5 more on the covid list/ Wentz and others will play if their symptoms are improving

bleed blue4life

1 minute ago, Superman said:

The stated protocol is they'll move a game for health and safety reasons, not for competitive reasons. Especially not to help a team with a breakout among a bunch of unvaccinated players.

I felt that they should have delayed the season for a week after Thanksgiving. Then the last two weeks have been brutal, and it seems like they should delay the season for a couple weeks now. Same for the other pro sports.

Well the Raiders are having their own breakout.  Under the current rules I think we might be close but if they get a new five day agreement that might very well change things dramatically.  They also announced those moves late in the week not Tuesday.

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The stated protocol is they'll move a game for health and safety reasons, not for competitive reasons. Especially not to help a team with a breakout among a bunch of unvaccinated players.

I felt that they should have delayed the season for a week after Thanksgiving. Then the last two weeks have been brutal, and it seems like they should delay the season for a couple weeks now. Same for the other pro sports.

I could see that could be feasible for final week and even playoffs.. but how do you reschedule Super Bowl if playoffs pushed back?  

A lot of things to consider surrounding SB. :dunno:

23 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Which is why they need to shut this week down. Omicron is too contagious, at this point nearly everyone is going to get it. Just found out today I am positive and so is my entire family extended included. It’s not going to spare anyone.

Again! How are you feeling?

1 minute ago, bestQBever said:

not gonna lie… as much as this sucks, I STILL think we beat the raiders. As long as 28 doesnt end up on that list

Outside of the Bucs game, we haven't been turning the ball over much at all.  One turnover and we probably lose the Arizona game.  The Raiders game could go south quickly with Ehlinger seeing his first NFL action.  

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

What safety reasons were involved in the games that have been moved this year already?

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I am actually in a union and my company had to bargain with us over our Covid policy.

It could be covered in your labor agreement, and not covered in the NFL's. You also said "Covid policy," which doesn't necessarily include a vaccine mandate, or an agreement not to impose a vaccine mandate. Your company also could have chosen to negotiate over these details to avoid the likely legal ramifications that would come from trying to force these details upon the workforce.

Lots of grey area.

I'm only questioning whether the CBA stipulates that things like vaccine mandates must be collectively bargained, because I've read through most of the last two CBAs and I don't know that it's in there.

Just now, Gramz said:

I could see that could be feasible for final week and even playoffs.. but how do you reschedule Super Bowl if playoffs pushed back?  

Well they have a week they can play with due to the bye between the conference title games and the super bowl.  You could eliminate that week and the pro-bowl if they have too.

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

What safety reasons were involved in the games that have been moved this year already?

JC Tretter threatened to choke out DeMaurice Smith and Roger Goodell if they didn't postpone the Browns game.

I'm only saying what "they've" said about it. In practice, don't know what the real reasons were.

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm not sure vaccine mandates are covered in the CBA. Could be, but that seems questionable. 

In practice, though, even if it's NOT covered in the CBA, if the NFL tried to mandate a vaccine, the NFLPA would fight it through every legal means possible. Which is reasonable. Vaccine mandates are on tricky legal ground, even though there's plenty of legal precedent for them.

Ultiimately, a mandate would be a really bad look for the NFL, so they won't go near it.

Pretty much everything has to be collectively bargained in the NFL.  The union has to agree to all the covid protocals.

Just now, Superman said:

JC Tretter threatened to choke out DeMaurice Smith and Roger Goodell if they didn't postpone the Browns game.

I'm only saying what "they've" said about it. In practice, don't know what the real reasons were.

Gotcha.    I hope it was the scenario you just posted though

It could be covered in your labor agreement, and not covered in the NFL's. You also said "Covid policy," which doesn't necessarily include a vaccine mandate, or an agreement not to impose a vaccine mandate. Your company also could have chosen to negotiate over these details to avoid the likely legal ramifications that would come from trying to force these details upon the workforce.

Lots of grey area.

I'm only questioning whether the CBA stipulates that things like vaccine mandates must be collectively bargained, because I've read through most of the last two CBAs and I don't know that it's in there.

A mandate is a condition of employment which companies can’t just impose.  Unions have the right to bargain over those.

3 minutes ago, Gramz said:

Just push it back??

I don't know. But they won't do any of this. TBH, they might be content to just let Covid burn through the NFL population right now, knowing that anyone who tests positive won't be tested again for the rest of the season/playoffs. Not a great strategy, but it has some advantages.

2 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I just find the timing hillarious. I haven’t seen colts ever have this much luck and perfect timing. Everything has gone the Colts way this month. Not that I wish covid on them.

This hasn’t gone the Colts way yet.  If they lose their last two games and don’t make the playoffs this could also ruin their season.  Heck even if they just lose to the Raiders and don’t get the help they need the last week of the season it could be a disaster.

12 minutes ago, Gramz said:

You simply move the pro bowl or cancel it since no one watches the thing anyway leave the SB in place

36 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Which is why they need to shut this week down. Omicron is too contagious, at this point nearly everyone is going to get it. Just found out today I am positive and so is my entire family extended included. It’s not going to spare anyone.

I hope you and your family do well, along with our Colts.

Just now, Wentzszn said:

I just find the timing hillarious. I haven’t seen colts ever have this much luck and perfect timing. Everything has gone the Colts way this month. Not that I wish covid on them.

There's nothing hilarious about it 

Unfortunate- yes.

Predictable - yes.

Disappointing - yes.

Hilarious - no 

26 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Runny nose, sore throat. No fever at least…

My daughter has been crying a lot today complaining of feeling weird…

@Wentzszn glad you find my family’s misfortune funny. I see what kind of person you really are.

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family @RollerColt! I know Covid has wreaked havoc in both your work and home life :(… please know you have friends on this forum that understand and support you during this trying time. :hug: Please keep us updated!

I mean covid was going to happen. The timing of this when the nfl is about to change the rules. It happening today with Wentz. Could of happened two days later. Then we don’t have to worry about the unvaccinated for the playoffs. This could of happened on a Friday before the playoffs. Ir wasnt if ir was going to happen it was when.

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

A mandate is a condition of employment which companies can’t just impose.  Unions have the right to bargain over those.

Unions have rights for which they've collectively bargained. The absence of an agreement doesn't constitute an agreement. If there's nothing in the CBA about vaccine mandates -- and there could be, I just doubt it -- it's not a collectively bargained right.

Of course, any business that employs a unionized workforce would be dumb to try to impose a mandate without collective bargaining.

5 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Almost all our unvaccinated players will get a covid holiday. I find this all to be hillarious.

You were in complete freak out mode over the weekend and again last night. Man your mood and stances change faster than the second hand on a clock. 

Just now, csmopar said:

You were in complete freak out mode over the weekend and again last night. Man your mood and stances change faster than the second hand on a clock. 

I haven’t freaked out. I have been listening to JMV right not and laughing right along with him.  It was going to happen. At least it happened now. At least we beat AZ to find us a cushion.

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

Unions have rights for which they've collectively bargained. The absence of an agreement doesn't constitute an agreement. If there's nothing in the CBA about vaccine mandates -- and there could be, I just doubt it -- it's not a collectively bargained right.

Of course, any business that employs a unionized workforce would be dumb to try to impose a mandate without collective bargaining.

From my own experiences working with unions, there’s usually a clause about medical or physical requirements, testing etc non related to Covid that are in the contracts . Most simply say any changes to those particulars or any additions of job requirements have to be voted on by the union. 

Whether it's spelled out in the agreement or not, it's not something the league can unilaterally impose.  The league and union are constantly negotiating things between CBAs.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

I am the shop steward in my union and we just went through all this with our lawyers earlier this year.   Labor law gives unions the right to bargain over certain things.  Conditions of employment are one of them.  A mandate of any-type is a condition of employment.  It is 100% a collectively bargained right because our contract had nothing in it about vaccines at all and the company’s own lawyer even acknowledge our right to bargain over the mandate they wanted to impose because it was a condition of employment.

41 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Runny nose, sore throat. No fever at least…

My daughter has been crying a lot today complaining of feeling weird…

@Wentzszn glad you find my family’s misfortune funny. I see what kind of person you really are.

I caught covid 2 weeks ago.  I was fully vaccinated in May of this year.

My symptoms were coughing, congesting, sneezing, etc.  It felt like a bad cold.

Then mysteriously after a week, it disappeared.

I'm fine now.  I hope your family gets well soon.

Covid is serious stuff.

21 minutes ago, Superman said:

Just push it back??

I don't know. But they won't do any of this. TBH, they might be content to just let Covid burn through the NFL population right now, knowing that anyone who tests positive won't be tested again for the rest of the season/playoffs. Not a great strategy, but it has some advantages.

The Superbowl was already pushed back this year.. since we're playing TWO regular season games in January (so odd) but any further and they're invading NBA all-star weekend..

6 minutes ago, csmopar said:

From my own experiences working with unions, there’s usually a clause about medical or physical requirements, testing etc non related to Covid that are in the contracts . Most simply say any changes to those particulars or any additions of job requirements have to be voted on by the union. 

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I am the shop steward in my union and we just went through all this with our lawyers earlier this year.   Labor law gives unions the right to bargain over certain things.  Conditions of employment are one of them.  A mandate of any-type is a condition of employment.  It is 100% a collectively bargained right because our contract had nothing in it about vaccines at all and the company’s own lawyer even acknowledge our right to bargain over the mandate they wanted to impose because it was a condition of employment.

Fair enough.

Just now, RollerColt said:

Yep! I know right? Three times now… I’m not too bad. Praying the kids don’t get worse. They’re mostly just irritable at the moment. With no fever I’m hoping I can follow this 5 day rule. 

taking care of sick kids when you are sick is the worst.  Hang in there

Archived