Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Just Curious

strt182

I usually don't post much but I am here a lot. I am wondering when looking back at what all is new this year and what has changed why isn't Marcus Brady getting any heat? I know this is his first year as OC also. 

I'm not denying any blame on Frank, there are several posts about that from others, but I happened to watch all the pressers and from the things Frank is saying such as not knowing the run vs. pass play % ect , It seems that would be Brady's job to inform him of those things. Granted I dunno if he does or not. However i did find this from an article on here kind of telling us what some of his duties were going to be ect. 

Yeah, (I'll) just be more involved in the offense in every aspect of it," Brady said. "Obviously, we have a great staff and our staff is going to do a great job, but I'm obviously going to have my hands in all of it and be ready to help with the game planning part.

"Just the entire process — working with Frank, because obviously I am replacing him, just the interactions that he has with Frank," Brady said when asked what he learned from Sirianni and his relationship with Reich. "Obviously, the three of us were always in the quarterback meetings there so I am used to what Frank expects to help us be ready come gameday."

And what, exactly, will Brady be expecting on those gamedays?

"Just be another voice and to help (Reich) out — in between series, give him ideas, what we are seeing, communicate with the other staff whether it is run plays, other pass plays," Brady said. "Again, it's a collective group effort there. Then relaying that back to Frank, because Frank has to pay attention to what is going on while the defense is going, so we kind of brainstorm together and then communicate with Frank there so he's ready to go the next series."

Again JUST CURIOUS.

He isn't getting any heat because there have been some really good play designs and have gotten WR's open. But he's not calling any of the plays. He gives Reich i think like 5 plays or something like that and Reich decides which one hes going to play. At this point I would really like to see him actually calling the plays.

I know Frank calls the plays. One would think that Brady would be in Franks ear , and he might be we will never know, about the lack of balance on the calls. 

Frank could have called 20 more runs then what we know of that got checked out of for one reason or another. 

None of us really know all of the duties that the assistants and coordinators do but that above article pointed out a couple that have led to Frank saying he doesn't have that information atleast in his pressers. 

I just kinda found it interesting especially since Frank gets alot of the heat and rightfully so. I doubt Frank would throw Brady under the bus anyways,   

23 hours ago, twfish said:

He isn't getting any heat because there have been some really good play designs and have gotten WR's open. But he's not calling any of the plays. He gives Reich i think like 5 plays or something like that and Reich decides which one hes going to play. At this point I would really like to see him actually calling the plays.

Usually, the play calling is somewhat of a group process that has the final decider in charge.  Unless Frank is a tyrant, there are others who have input into the play calls and Frank decides.  

Reich said a few weeks ago Brady putts all the call sheets together and basically lays out a game plan for Reich. I think the offense has been good after this team got through all the injuries and a few games under its belt. We have scored over 30 pts each of the last 3 games. Red zone had gotten better the last four games. It seems it a decision here and there Reich is making outside of the actual play calling that has been hurting this team.

22 hours ago, strt182 said:

I know Frank calls the plays. One would think that Brady would be in Franks ear , and he might be we will never know, about the lack of balance on the calls. 

Frank could have called 20 more runs then what we know of that got checked out of for one reason or another. 

None of us really know all of the duties that the assistants and coordinators do but that above article pointed out a couple that have led to Frank saying he doesn't have that information atleast in his pressers. 

I just kinda found it interesting especially since Frank gets alot of the heat and rightfully so. I doubt Frank would throw Brady under the bus anyways,   

I don't know about the importance of this pass/run ratio.  It sounds like a problem on paper but I doubt that they keep that close of a running tally of play choices, playing the game like a fantasy football stat game where the goal at the end of the day a balance.    

"Oh goodness, we're going to end up with a 51/16 ratio, we better start calling more runs" type of thing.

And the guys up in the booth see what is going on too.

I think each situation they simply try to call the right play for the circumstances and down and distance plays a part in it.  I'm sure that frank can get caught in a rut, but if there are too many pass plays then that would start to appear as a Tennessee pass rush.  Then you ask yourself why is the D not respecting the run, and you noticed that you've been calling too many pass plays.

I assume that TEN was keying on JT to some degree because he is better than most other players on offense and baited us to throw with the receiver group we have.  The looks caused Carson to check out of some run plays, is my understanding.

BTW, what does our short yardage "jumbo" package look like?   Who is the lead blocker?  Do we even have the personnel for a goal line or short yardage jumbo package? 

That would impact the short yardage pass/run play calling.  I don't recall seeing one this year yet.

On 11/2/2021 at 10:48 AM, strt182 said:

I usually don't post much but I am here a lot. I am wondering when looking back at what all is new this year and what has changed why isn't Marcus Brady getting any heat? I know this is his first year as OC also. 

I'm not denying any blame on Frank, there are several posts about that from others, but I happened to watch all the pressers and from the things Frank is saying such as not knowing the run vs. pass play % ect , It seems that would be Brady's job to inform him of those things. Granted I dunno if he does or not. However i did find this from an article on here kind of telling us what some of his duties were going to be ect. 

Yeah, (I'll) just be more involved in the offense in every aspect of it," Brady said. "Obviously, we have a great staff and our staff is going to do a great job, but I'm obviously going to have my hands in all of it and be ready to help with the game planning part.

"Just the entire process — working with Frank, because obviously I am replacing him, just the interactions that he has with Frank," Brady said when asked what he learned from Sirianni and his relationship with Reich. "Obviously, the three of us were always in the quarterback meetings there so I am used to what Frank expects to help us be ready come gameday."

And what, exactly, will Brady be expecting on those gamedays?

"Just be another voice and to help (Reich) out — in between series, give him ideas, what we are seeing, communicate with the other staff whether it is run plays, other pass plays," Brady said. "Again, it's a collective group effort there. Then relaying that back to Frank, because Frank has to pay attention to what is going on while the defense is going, so we kind of brainstorm together and then communicate with Frank there so he's ready to go the next series."

Again JUST CURIOUS.

Good post. I hadn’t given it much thought until now but now that I think about it, Brady sounds like a guy trying to convince himself he belongs.

Archived