Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Buckner at DE

Restinpeacesweetchloe

11 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I am listening II Kevin Bowens podcast. A Twitter question said they noticed Buckner t DE Sunday. Did anyone else notice that. If so I like it. Moving him around trying to get a favorable matchup could really create a matchup problem.

Perhaps on a few stunts, but wasn't a regular occurrence. We actually used DEs quite a bit, meaning we had a DE sliding over inside quite a bit (about 40% of the time) with no NT (and 3x DEs + Defo). I'm just a bit curious how they used Rochell. 

Here's the DT and DE snap %

DT

Defo 85%

Grove 50%

Stallworth 19%

Williams 6%

Total - on average 1.6 DTs 

DE

Lewis 83%

AQM 83%

Turay 46%

Rochell 17%

Bonagu 12%

Total - on average 2.41 DEs 

They did this occasionally for Donald when he moved to DE going up against the weak link Davenport at RT for Indy. It would be a smart thing to do by putting our best DL player against the weakest OL player. 

I've always been a supporter of moving our best DL player around to create favorable matchups for him. 

22 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Perhaps on a few stunts, but wasn't a regular occurrence. We actually used DEs quite a bit, meaning we had a DE sliding over inside quite a bit (about 40% of the time) with no NT (and 3x DEs + Defo). I'm just a bit curious how they used Rochell. 

Here's the DT and DE snap %

DT

Defo 85%

Grove 50%

Stallworth 19%

Williams 6%

Total - on average 1.6 DTs 

DE

Lewis 83%

AQM 83%

Turay 46%

Rochell 17%

Bonagu 12%

Total - on average 2.41 DEs 

I hope you are getting these percentages from some data source and not by rewatching the game over and over.  There isn't enough pikes place for that but it wouldn't surprise me if you did.  lol

10 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

I hope you are getting these percentages from some data source and not by rewatching the game over and over.  There isn't enough pikes place for that but it wouldn't surprise me if you did.  lol

Just me, my DVR, and my trusty abacus. 

I had to replay it to make sure. When I first watched the play, I remember thinking that guy has some nice moves. Believe he did a swim move and beat the tackle. They also lined up Turay as the 3 tech guy on that play I believe. 

3 minutes ago, cbear said:

I had to replay it to make sure. When I first watched the play, I remember thinking that guy has some nice moves. Believe he did a swim move and beat the tackle. They also lined up Turay as the 3 tech guy on that play I believe. 

I like this. If it evolves as the season goes on it could help by getting the best matchups. Something to watch for going forward.

23 hours ago, BProland85 said:

They did this occasionally for Donald when he moved to DE going up against the weak link Davenport at RT for Indy. It would be a smart thing to do by putting our best DL player against the weakest OL player. 

I've always been a supporter of moving our best DL player around to create favorable matchups for him. 

It would Einsteinish to do this and I can't understand why anyone with a player like Buck, Donald, Watt, etc. wouldn't in obvious passing downs. 

On 10/5/2021 at 1:45 PM, GoHorse1992 said:

I am ok with doing that if the matchup is favorable…at least until we get Kwity and Dayo both at full health given our DE woes beyond them. After that, I would like them to not miss many pass rushing snaps at DE for development sake. 

I don't see that happening. Buckner will likely only see snaps at DE on early/run downs. Similar to how theyve used Autry and Lewis. 

Archived