Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtPlay Blog : Colts FO gives CB's another chance?

FightLikeSin

I read this blog entry on ColtPlay this morning. I agree that both CB's sucked last year but I think you at least gotta give a guy like Rucker another shot in 2012.

http://coltplay.blog...already-be.html

So the Colts’ brass is saying that there’s a decent chance that the starter at right cornerback next year might be Kevin Thomas (6000/192/4.41) or Chris Rucker(6004/195/4.54). While it may be reassuring that the team feels that they don’t need to fill that slot through the draft or free agency, it’s a little disturbing based on their 2011 performances.

Let’s look at Rucker first. A 2011 sixth-round pick, Rucker played sparingly at first, not appearing in a game until Week 4 against Tampa Bay, and not getting any starts until Week 14. In the end, he played more than any Colts corner except for top guy Jerraud Powers, the much-maligned and since-departed Jacob Lacey and Thomas.

In coverage, Rucker was true to the Colts’ old bend-don’t-break system, giving a big cushion and allowing short completions rather than long ones and trying to mitigate yards after the catch. He was pretty good at preventing big gains, allowing just one touchdown and only two completions over 20 yards. But the problem was that he allowed lots and lots of short gains. In fact, quarterbacks threw for 25-20-184-1-0 against him for a 110.7 passer rating. That, combined with no interceptions and just one pass knocked down, indicates that he had a pretty rough year.

He was little better against the run, making just four tackles (none behind the line of scrimmage) in the run game with one missed tackle. On the bright side, he did manage a pressure on one of his few blitzes.

Okay, it’s Thomas’ turn. A surprise third-round pick in 2010, he spent his that season on injured reserve making him a virtual rookie in 2012. He played in just about every game, starting from Week 7 to Week 12 before giving way to Rucker. Although he obviously has some skills, he was a quarterback’s dream last season, allowing 38-26-404-3-0 to opposing quarterbacks for a ridiculous 129.7 passer reating. And unlike Rucker, he played tight, more man-on-man. Sometimes it worked out okay — he certainly allowed a much lower completion percentage than Rucker — and sometimes it didn’t as when he was literally destroyed by Julio Jones in Week 9 (see the accompanying photo). He also had no interceptions, but three passes defensed.

Against the run, Thomas also had four tackles, but missed on three others. Wow. And he added nothing as a blitzer.

To put it bluntly, both of them sucked in 2011. But corner is one of the most, if not the most, difficult positions to make the adaptation from college to pro. Many a fine corner has sucked as a rookie, so let’s give our guys — who were playing on a team trhat had essentially given up — the benefit of the doubt.

To tell you the truth, I actually like Rucker’s future better than Thomas’. I watched them both very closely, and I saw more smoothness and confidence from Rucker, Maybe Thomas will have a better career, but if I needed one of them to cover Calvin Johnson on third-and-10, I’d go with Rucker, He’d fail, of course, but not as spectacularly as Thomas.

So don’t be surprised if the Colts start 2012 with either Rucker or Thomas at right corner. Don’t be happy about it, but don’t be surprised, either.

Posted by Jerry Langton at 8:39 AM

The problem is, we don't have the talent to gamble on others. Jerraud Powers isn't great, he might be good. Might be. But we surely need a shutdown corner and eventually move Jerraud to the second CB spot. Neither Thomas, nor Rucker will be more than nickle, look at last year's performance. I don't follow the argument, that they had a tough time not giving away big plays by playing of the WR's, meaning it'll be somehow easier shutting down #1 WR's in close man coverage? That's what seperates great corners from the average ones. It's not getting easier this way, I assure you.

I still say draft the best CB available at 34.I know we have way to many DBs on roster but we seriously need a cover corner.Dont know if the front office is just going to gamble on our current DBs or draft better quality.We have so many needs Ive always been saying CB at 34 but if BPA is a WR or TE dont think we can pass on them.Would be nice to get Luck more weapons but on the other hand you must address our horrible secondary.So u have OFF weapons or a shutdown corner,i would take the CB IMO.

Good read. A fair and balanced opinion. He was respectful yet clearly not endorsing them. I can't say it worries opposing qbs too much to throw against us. I am actually ok with trading back from 34 and getting an extra pick or swapping positions and still allowing us to take a upgrade in the secondary in the second round.

Pagano is a great DB coach that allowed a Cleveland Browns secondary to be one of the leagues best in the early 2000's. I think we have more talent that what we think we have..

I agree. Thomas and Rucker are both better at man to man than at zone, which we forced them to play. With the right coaching and system, I think we could do very well. Thomas was a solid CB coming out of college and Rucker was a 2nd round talent who fell because of off the field issues.

I am actually ok with trading back from 34 and getting an extra pick or swapping positions and still allowing us to take a upgrade in the secondary in the second round.

I agree. Lots of value in this draft, especially in middle rounds. If there's no starting caliber corner or receiver at #34, I wouldn't be mad at us trading down, just as long as we stay in this year's draft.

Coaching ~!!! what I have said.. I still want them to get a better corner, if Fleener is not there @ 34 I say get a shutdown CB... plenty of WR in the draft ... but I also trust the new coaches.. they will see things in the people we have that IMO they will bring out ...

Coaching ~!!! what I have said.. I still want them to get a better corner, if Fleener is not there @ 34 I say get a shutdown CB... plenty of WR in the draft ... but I also trust the new coaches.. they will see things in the people we have that IMO they will bring out ...

Plenty of WRs in this draft means a 1st round prospect could fall to our pick in the second round. Think about that. We could be grabbing a Reggie Wayne kinda talent with our second pick.

I dunno. All this talk about the WR class being deep. Well, deep is one thing. There is no sense passing on any player at spot 2 because the class is deep. If they think that player can be the next big thing with Luck throwing to him, there shouldn't be a chance in heck that they pass on him.

I am not taking their word for it, Irsay likes to play the cards close to his chest. If this team doesn't draft a CB in the 2-3 round I will be scratching my head, it's easily one of their worst positions. Could those guys be playing? Sure, but I am betting the Colts are planning on taking a CB, who would be in the #1 spot eventually.