Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ehlinger heading to IR?

CR91

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, GoColts8818 said:

You get around that by releasing the 53rd guy on the team and brining him back once he clears waivers and you move him to IR to return or they might just IR him and end his season to stash him.  

Yeah I would assume you release the guy that has the best chance to make it through waivers.

There was also no guarantee he was going to make the 53. They could release him and put him on the PS. Bur I think there are some rules to releasing them with a injury designation. Have to wait to bring them back. Happened with Marcus Johnson.

2 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Yeah I would assume you release the guy that has the best chance to make it through waivers.

There was also no guarantee he was going to make the 53. They could release him and put him on the PS. Bur I think there are some rules to releasing them with a injury designation. Have to wait to bring them back. Happened with Marcus Johnson.

Unless they just don’t think he belongs on the roster in general I don’t think they are releasing him.  Based on how the Colts have talked about him I don’t think they feel that way.  Even then I think they would IR him to stash him for the season before releasing him.  It’s pretty clear the Colts like him.  I don’t see the Colts taking a chance on losing him.

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Unless they just don’t think he belongs on the roster in general I don’t think they are releasing him.  Based on how the Colts have talked about him I don’t think they feel that way.  Even then I think they would IR him to stash him for the season before releasing him.  It’s pretty clear the Colts like him.  I don’t see the Colts taking a chance on losing him.

Will be interesting to see what happens Tuesday. They may like him but I still don’t know if that would of guaranteed him a spot on the roster. 

3 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Will be interesting to see what happens Tuesday. They may like him but I still don’t know if that would of guaranteed him a spot on the roster. 

Keeping him in the 53 for a few hours to put him on the IR doesn’t guarantee him a spot it keeps him under control of the team 

3 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Keeping him in the 53 for a few hours to put him on the IR doesn’t guarantee him a spot it keeps him under control of the team 

Or if they don’t feel he should be on the final 53 they will just put him on IR and end his season to keep him under team control like you said.  Either way I would be pretty shocked if Sam isn’t under the Colts control Tuesday.  

Just now, Wentzszn said:

I understand that but it also could cost them a player they want to keep. We will see what happens. Ir him now also keeps him under team control.

Then they would IR him like you said at the end.  The only way they release him is pretty much if they don’t think he can make it in the NFL.  Based on how he’s played and what they have said about him I don’t think they feel that way about him.

Just now, Wentzszn said:

I understand that but it also could cost them a player they want to keep. We will see what happens. Ir him now also keeps him under team control.

Keeping him on the 53 until after cuts could actually help the Colts because they wouldn’t have to cut someone to add a piece through the waiver wire

9 minutes ago, stitches said:

Why would they put him on IR now if he's expected to be ready in by October? This won't let him prepare with the team on the field and it's not like QB injuries don't happen. IMO we need to keep his eligibility to return whenever he's ready.

They would only do that if they need the roster spot or don’t think he’s ready to be on the active roster ability wise.  What’s probably going to happen is he will make the final 53 and once guys clear waivers they will IR him so he can return and re-sign someone who was released 

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

They would only do that if they need the roster spot or don’t think he’s ready to be on the active roster ability wise.  What’s probably going to happen is he will make the final 53 and once guys clear waivers they will IR him so he can return and re-sign someone who was released 

Or as I said earlier his roster spot might be used on a waiver claim

33 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yes, this is what I expect to happen too. But he will likely make the 53 roster before they do whatever machinations they need to do to keep him eligible to return when ready.

4 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

@GoColts8818

How long would SE need to be on the 53 before IRing him

Pretty sure 4pm Sept 1, same period for waiver claims.

4 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I believe they can do it after people clear waivers.

Aug. 31

4pm Deadline to cut training camp rosters to 53 players

Sept. 1 

4pm Post-cut waiver claim period ends at 

Sept. 1

4pm Teams can sign practice squad players after waiver claims are processed

So options seem to be

A) IR him now which protects him for the season, but he can't return

B) Cut him, hope he passes waivers (he should), and put him on the PS (then can go to PSIR)

C) Put him on the 53, then move to IR after waiver period (must stay for min 3 weeks), and potentially lose the 54th or other player.

D) Put him on the 53, and don't IR him

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think he'd clear waivers easier than some of our bubble guys (like a Patmon, Strachan, Rochell, Shawn Davis, etc).

Also not sure we really need to keep 3 QBs at all if Wentz is truly back.

On 8/27/2021 at 10:29 PM, CR91 said:

Would open up a spot on the 53 since I'm assuming the Colts we're gonna keep three QBs

I didn't think SE was going to make the 53 anyways (felt he'd be placed on the PS if unclaimed). I always felt a 3rd QB would come out of cuts that other teams made, a vet that they liked over SE.

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I didn't think SE was going to make the 53 anyways (felt he'd be placed on the PS if unclaimed). I always felt a 3rd QB would come out of cuts that other teams made, a vet that they liked over SE.

I don’t think we will keep 3 QB. It’s really not necessary with the new PS rules if you feel the guy will clear waivers. Sam is less likely to be claimed with the injury too. Hundley will probably stay on the PS as the third guy while sam recovers.

3 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

I don’t think we will keep 3 QB. It’s really not necessary with the new PS rules if you feel the guy will clear waivers. Sam is less likely to be claimed with the injury too. Hundley will probably stay on the PS as the third guy while sam recovers.

This seems logical!

3 hours ago, chad72 said:

Yes!!! Every year, from Brandstater to Stephen Morris to Ehlinger, fans fall in love with the 3rd QB, only to see him cut and brought back to the PS. This year will be no different.

How could you forget Kelly!

3 hours ago, chad72 said:

If he was healthy I felt he had an chance to make the roster doing what Jacoby did on 3rd and short last year, run pass option & sneaks.

5 hours ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Just watched it again…looked like 52?

Definitely 42. Its an offensive play, so Banagu wouldn't be out there. If you listen to the clip, the commentator mentions that LeMay picked up the 15 yard infraction.

He's not a vested veteran, so they can't just put him on IR. He would have to clear waivers first. As of Tuesday of Week 1, they can put him IR without waivers.

So if they do anything with him right now, he has to go through waivers, and I get the feeling they don't want that. I think they'll put him on IR next Tuesday, and that will allow them to activate him after a minimum of three weeks.

Edit: It's possible that rule has been modified to allow them to IR him without waivers as of this week, since there's now an extra week between final cuts and Week 1. I'll look it up.

Edit #2: I looked for anything specific that suggests this timeline has changed, and I didn't find anything. So my understanding right now is that a non vested player would have to be waived-injured, clear waivers, and then revert to IR. As of Tuesday of next week, that same player could simply be assigned to IR, without going through waivers. And that's what I expect they'll do with Ehlinger.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

He's not a vested veteran, so they can't just put him on IR. He would have to clear waivers first. As of Tuesday of Week 1, they can put him IR without waivers.

So if they do anything with him right now, he has to go through waivers, and I get the feeling they don't want that. I think they'll put him on IR next Tuesday, and that will allow them to activate him after a minimum of three weeks.

Thank U Reaction GIF by Mauro Gatti

11 minutes ago, Superman said:

Edit: It's possible that rule has been modified to allow them to IR him without waivers as of this week, since there's now an extra week between final cuts and Week 1. I'll look it up.

We will see what happens. Keeping him on the 53 initially will also take a spot for another player they might want to keep. 

Archived