Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Projected comp picks for 2022

Below are couple of links.  The projected 7th could turn into a 6th.  I like the cancellation chart in the first link

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-picks/

https://www.nfl.com/news/2022-nfl-draft-compensatory-pick-projections-for-every-team

Projected compensatory picks: One apiece in Rounds 5 and 7.

Key free-agent losses: Denico Autry (Titans), Jacoby Brissett (Dolphins), Anthony Walker Jr. (Browns).

Key free-agent additions: Sam Tevi.

Comp-pick analysis: It appears the Colts will turn Autry's very reasonable three-year deal into 20 sacks and a fifth-round pick. It's also worth noting that the specifics of the Tevi contract could cause his signing to cancel Walker's deal rather than Brissett’s, which would mean the Colts would get a sixth-round pick instead of a seventh-rounder.

Comp picks will be key next year because if all goes well, that conditional 2nd we gave for Carson will be a late 1st, meaning we’ll be picking low again. Would be nice to have extra picks to maneuver up and down the draft board as needed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2021 at 11:13 PM, bertjones7 said:

Below are couple of links.  The projected 7th could turn into a 6th.  I like the cancellation chart in the first link

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-picks/

https://www.nfl.com/news/2022-nfl-draft-compensatory-pick-projections-for-every-team

Projected compensatory picks: One apiece in Rounds 5 and 7.

Key free-agent losses: Denico Autry (Titans), Jacoby Brissett (Dolphins), Anthony Walker Jr. (Browns).

Key free-agent additions: Sam Tevi.

Comp-pick analysis: It appears the Colts will turn Autry's very reasonable three-year deal into 20 sacks and a fifth-round pick. It's also worth noting that the specifics of the Tevi contract could cause his signing to cancel Walker's deal rather than Brissett’s, which would mean the Colts would get a sixth-round pick instead of a seventh-rounder

Realistically if Fisher is healthy to start by Week 5 and we can trade Tevi by Week 6 deadline it might be in the Colts’ best interest.  

What would happen to Tevi’s compensation if we trade him mid-season?  How would this factor?

If I am looking at Over the Cap correctly, the Colts would gain cap space by moving on from Tevi.  Not to mention Tevi is scheduled to get 530k per game roster bonus checks.  Guess now I see how Tevi initially seemed like a very cheap bargain steal in FA but those game checks add up to his evaluation projections.

4 minutes ago, OhioColt said:

Realistically if Fisher is healthy to start by Week 5 and we can trade Tevi by Week 6 deadline it might be in the Colts’ best interest.  

What would happen to Tevi’s compensation if we trade him mid-season?  How would this factor?

If I am looking at Over the Cap correctly, the Colts would gain cap space by moving on from Tevi.  Not to mention Tevi is scheduled to get 530k per game roster bonus checks.  Guess now I see how Tevi initially seemed like a very cheap bargain steal in FA but those game checks add up to his evaluation projections.

I wouldn't even think of trading Tevi in that scenario. It is a long season, especially with the 17th game added, and tomorrow is never guaranteed w.r.t Fisher's health or the health of other OTs, IMO.

On 5/6/2021 at 10:09 PM, throwing BBZ said:

A 5 and a 7.

Going in I had been hoping for maybe a 3-4 for TY and a 4-5 for Houston.

This is a bit of a whiff for a dump year.

lol

a) I am still holding out hope that Justin Houston is re-signed

b) If he does go to another team, I hope it is to a team where he gets ton of playing time.

3 hours ago, chad72 said:

a) I am still holding out hope that Justin Houston is re-signed

b) If he does go to another team, I hope it is to a team where he gets ton of playing time.

I think you can wave goodbye to Houston. The D-line room is simply too crowded now, and the cap space is too limited. The Colts made a conscious decision to go younger with their defensive front four, as much as anything to keep the roster affordable. But also to ultimately improve the pass rush. Houston was a solid Colt; hopefully he gets a chance to prove he still has something in the tank for another team. I wish him well. 

3 hours ago, OhioColt said:

If I may...   a point of clarification...   Tevi doesn’t get $530k per game.   He gets $30k per game, or $510k for the season, 30 x 17 = 510k.   

Big difference.   Just wanted to make sure we’re all on the same page. 

On 5/7/2021 at 6:18 AM, Defjamz26 said:

Comp picks will be key next year because if all goes well, that conditional 2nd we gave for Carson will be a late 1st, meaning we’ll be picking low again. Would be nice to have extra picks to maneuver up and down the draft board as needed.

I'm still very curious if the Colts sit Wentz a lot more up 10+ points or down 20+ with 3-4 minutes left in order to keep that 1st round pick. Hoping 2-3 games of the year, Eason plays most of the 4th and we run a ton of plays lol

On 5/6/2021 at 10:09 PM, throwing BBZ said:

A 5 and a 7.

Going in I had been hoping for maybe a 3-4 for TY and a 4-5 for Houston.

This is a bit of a whiff for a dump year.

lol

Mack and Hooker might have added picks if it weren't for the injuries.  And even if they were healthy and played well in 2020, I think Ballard would have let them walk considering that he drafted Blackmon and Taylor before they got hurt.

17 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

I'm still very curious if the Colts sit Wentz a lot more up 10+ points or down 20+ with 3-4 minutes left in order to keep that 1st round pick. Hoping 2-3 games of the year, Eason plays most of the 4th and we run a ton of plays lol

I think the trade is if Wentz STARTS 75% of the games, not plays 75% of the snaps, but I could be wrong.  My thinking was that it was insurance in case he was injured to the point he could not play, not allowing for the "trade pick management" scheme you're suggesting.

Bottom line, if we preserve the 1st round pick, its because Eason is starting a lot and we're probably losing games.

4 hours ago, DougDew said:

I think the trade is if Wentz STARTS 75% of the games, not plays 75% of the snaps, but I could be wrong.  My thinking was that it was insurance in case he was injured to the point he could not play, not allowing for the "trade pick management" scheme you're suggesting.

Bottom line, if we preserve the 1st round pick, its because Eason is starting a lot and we're probably losing games.

Thought it was percentage of plays.  If was starts, start Eason every game.  Do hand off and bring Wentz in.

5 minutes ago, Nate! said:

Thought it was percentage of plays.  If was starts, start Eason every game.  Do hand off and bring Wentz in.

That is my thinking. It has to be percentage of plays to cover the Eagles' back for that exact reasoning. 

The only way Wentz isn’t playing enough so that Philly doesn’t get our first round pick is if Wentz gets badly hurt early in the season and is done.   Otherwise, he plays.   Ballard and Reich aren’t going to play the game of trying to get Wentz off the field for enough snaps to change the deal.   That’s not their way.   They wouldn’t risk losing games by shuttling Wentz off and back on the field.  Not happening.  The flow of a game can be complicated.  We’re not risking it.   It’s a fans fantasy. 

The Colts are going to surrender their first round pick in 2022.   Be prepared for it.  Expect it.   You don’t want the other version.  The other version means disaster for the Colts.  

On 5/18/2021 at 4:39 PM, Colts1324 said:

That is my thinking. It has to be percentage of plays to cover the Eagles' back for that exact reasoning. 

The deal is if he plays 75% of the SNAPS or if the Colts make the playoffs , it reverts to 70% .

Archived