Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Azeez Ojulari an option for Colts at DE

I have harped on this for awhile, but I believe Ojulari is one of the best 2 pass rushers in this draft, along with Jaelan Phllips. Phillips however has medical concerns, which may scare Ballard off.

Ojulari on the other hand, has explosive ability and long arms which Ballard loves, has improved each year at Georgia, and I believe he could play as both an OLB in a 3-4 and as a DE in a 4-3. 

https://www.nflanalysis.net/colts-will-strongly-consider-azeez-ojulari-at-no-21-in-nfl-draft/

1 minute ago, danlhart87 said:

No No No GIF

Hes a 34 OLB 

Care to place a bet on which potential 1st round prospect ends up being the best pass rusher out of this group?

Azeez Ojulari

Kwity Paye

Gregory Rousseau

Jayson Oweh

Jaelan Phillips

I vote Phillips #1 but ONLY if his medical checks out and he has a long career.

My #2 is unquestionably Ojulari though and I'm willing to bet he ends up better than all those other names I listed. 

20 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Care to place a bet on which potential 1st round prospect ends up being the best pass rusher out of this group?

Azeez Ojulari

Kwity Paye

Gregory Rousseau

Jayson Oweh

Jaelan Phillips

My #2 is unquestionably Ojulari though and I'm willing to bet he ends up better than all those other names I listed. 

Rousseau and Oweh will be bust. Ojulari has potential but doesn't fit our scheme. @NewColtsFan has already told you its like fitting a square peg in round hole.

A guy that I really like for our system is Payton Turner. He's the prototypical DE Ballard likes.

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

I dont think Oweh will be a bust if he goes to a team with a scheme like ours. I wouldnt mind having him. Just not in the first round.

Oweh elite athleticism doesn't match his production. He had 0 sacks in 2020.

Hes big time BUST material 

Rousseau has potential to be great but the time off has effected his stock and his pro day. I think he falls to Round 2 now. 

16 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Oweh elite athleticism doesn't match his production. He had 0 sacks in 2020.

Hes big time BUST material 

Rousseau has potential to be great but the time off has effected his stock and his pro day. I think he falls to Round 2 now. 

Doesnt have to match production. Hes got moldable traits and the type of type of elite athleticism that fit our scheme perfectly. Mo Cox had zero production when we got him. They took a chance on him based on traits that they felt had a history of being successful. Leonard Floyd didnt have much production either. Drafted mostly on traits.  You can take what Oweh has and mold it. I think especially so in our scheme where you pretty much are playing on the same side of the field against the same tackle all game long contnuously rushing upfield. Id take him but outside of Rd 1.

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

Doesnt have to match production. Hes got moldable traits and the type of type of elite athleticism that fit our scheme perfectly. Mo Cox had zero production when we got him. They took a chance on him based on traits that they felt had a history of being successful. Leonard Floyd didnt have much production either. Drafted mostly on traits.  You can take what Oweh has and mold it. I think especially so in our scheme where you pretty much are playing on the same side of the field against the same tackle all game long contnuously rushing upfield. Id take him but outside of Rd 1.

Thats the problem though isn't it. There's no way he's falling to 54.

10 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Thats the problem though isn't it. There's no way he's falling to 54.

Most likely yes but who knows. I really think hes about a 3rd round prospect but of course we know how the NFL is when it comes to eye candy.

If Ojulari was a real 6 ft 3 and around 250ish i think hed fit. But since hes 6 '2" and 240 i think that puts him more in the mold of John Simon and we know what Ballard ended up doing to John Simon. Shipping him to a team that plays a 3-4 front to play OLB.

6 minutes ago, krunk said:

If Ojulari was a real 6 ft 3 and around 250ish i think hed fit. But since hes 6 '2" and 240 i think that puts him more in the mold of John Simon and we know what Ballard ended up doing to John Simon. Shipping him to a team that plays a 3-4 front to play OLB.

Ojulari would be perfect replacement for Judon in Baltimore 

12 minutes ago, krunk said:

His teammate at Penn State, Shaka Toney, was the one who finished a lot of plays versus IU when I saw him. He scored pretty good on the RAS (9.48) and fits our system too. I have a feeling he might be a Colt on Day 3. However, if Ballard traded back to top of Round 2 and drafted Oweh, I will not complain at all.

18 minutes ago, krunk said:

Take a note on his arms. He's one of the longest players at DE in the draft. He's not tall, but he has long arms - over 34"... I don't believe he's stuck being a 3-4 OLB. I think he can play DE pretty easily. 

14 minutes ago, chad72 said:

His teammate at Penn State, Shaka Toney, was the one who finished a lot of plays versus IU when I saw him. He scored pretty good on the RAS (9.48) and fits our system too. I have a feeling he might be a Colt on Day 3. However, if Ballard traded back to top of Round 2 and drafted Oweh, I will not complain at all.

To each their own

I'm not a fan of him at all

13 minutes ago, stitches said:

Take a note on his arms. He's one of the longest players at DE in the draft. He's not tall, but he has long arms - over 34"... I don't believe he's stuck being a 3-4 OLB. I think he can play DE pretty easily. 

If he has played in a 3 point stance enough, he can play 4-3 DE. Easily or not, that is a tough prediction to make.

Let us not forget, Robert Mathis was around the same height and weight measurables. 

4 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Rousseau and Oweh will be bust. Ojulari has potential but doesn't fit our scheme. @NewColtsFan has already told you its like fitting a square peg in round hole.

A guy that I really like for our system is Payton Turner. He's the prototypical DE Ballard likes.

Agreed. Turner is a perfect fit for this defense. I can hear Ballard rave about him in the "With the next pick" series already.

23 minutes ago, stitches said:

I definitely think he can play the game. I just think he may be a tad short for what Ballard likes in this instance. He tends to get DE with a certain size profile. If this were Dungy making the call id say Ojulari had a high chance of being a Colt. Im not so sure with Ballard.  I thought Simon based on what i knew of Dungy when we ran Cover 2 and also some of the sacks Simon was getting when he was here. Those 2 things i thought for sure made him a fit. Ballard thought differently then i did though. He played a decent amount standing up and dropping in coverage at Georgia. Plus the size seems a tad bit more of a fit for a 3-4.

5 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Azeez Ojulari

Kwity Paye

Gregory Rousseau

Jayson Oweh

Jaelan Phillips

1. Phillips 

2. Paye

And the other 3 have high bust potential 

Hard pass on Azeez, aswell as Oweh and Rousseau for me

Archived