Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: Julién Davenport is expected to sign with Colts

BlueShoe

15 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

Most people seem locked in on the Colts taking an OT at 21. Now Ballard has the opportunity to draft the BPA, or move back, collect some more picks. A guy like Eichenberg might be there late first or early-mid second. But that’s just one example. The Colts might have their eye on several LT’s that could potentially be there on Day 2. 

I don’t believe we are locked in on taking a LT at 21. It could still happen, if the value is there. But I don’t see us reaching. Ballard is making sure he doesn’t have to reach. 

I'm not.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if once again colts trade out of the First Round.

14 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I'm not.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if once again colts trade out of the First Round.

I agree. If value and need meet for a LT at 21 then that’s the perfect scenario. I just don’t see Ballard forcing it. We could be sitting in a perfect situation to trade back. 

1 minute ago, BlueShoe said:

I agree. If value and need meet for a LT at 21 then that’s the perfect scenario. I just don’t see Ballard forcing it. We could be sitting in a perfect situation to trade back. 

Agreed.

Also, Irsay's accountant would like a trade back because 1st round picks cost more than 2nd/3rd rounders. haha

20 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Agreed.

Also, Irsay's accountant would like a trade back because 1st round picks cost more than 2nd/3rd rounders. haha

Also, think about what happens if the highest or second highest rated DE on the Colts board falls to 21... It can happen, especially with the likelihood of 5 QBs going before we pick. That leaves 15 players getting drafted in front of us that we’re possibly interested in. 

What do the Colts do IF a coveted DE and coveted LT are both on the board at 21? This draft has a lot more depth at OT than DE. In that situation, I’d seriously entertain the idea of going DE, and depending on how the draft plays out, possibly moving the second round pick up to get the OT. 

One of the greatest picks Polian ever made was drafting Freeney. Polian knew we would not be in a position very often to draft a DE of that caliber. So he took a chance on the undersized player (which is the only reason Freeney was not a top 5 pick). History says that was a great pick, but a guy with Freeney’s ability and college production would probably not fall as far in a modern draft, because he broke the mold for the once thought of perfect height/weight combination of a 4-3 DE. 

It’s very hard to pass on the opportunity to get a disruptive pass rusher (especially one on a rookie contract). They’re game changers. 

Quality offensive lineman can come from literally anywhere. They come from 1st Round picks, they come from the free agent scrapheap and they come from the undfrafted ranks as well.  The funny thing is, some guys blossom with a change of scenery, a different set of voices in their ear or even a scheme change - but most importantly, the offensive line is a tight knit unit and they have to work together, strengths of one masking flaws of another, etc., etc.

Jeff Saturday - undrafted, cut by a team or two gets a call and is Peyton Manning's center for +/-13 years. He was not the most talented athlete, but he fit the system Mudd ran. So while all you negative nancies are focused on how bad X player is or what Y players weaknesses are you are missing the bigger picture - they could be perfect for our scheme, with our unit, with our coaches voices in their ear!

As far as Ballard is concerned, look at what was here at the end of the season and look what he has brought in to try his darndest to shore up the situation:

Castonzo - Retired

Green - Unsigned

Clark - Unsigned

Veldheer - Released so he could sign w/Packers in the Playoffs

Smith - Still here

Holden - Still here (late season addition due to injuries)

O'Donnell - Still here (On PS all year)

Free Agents Signed since the EOS all 24-26 years old with 1-4 years experience elsewhere

Jake Benzinger 6'8" & 307

Julie'n Davenport 6'7" & 325

Sam Jones 6'5" & 290

Elijah Nkansah 6'6" & 315

Sam Tevi 6'5" & 311 (Rough two year at RT but only gave up 2 sacks to Herbert at LT last season)

Casey Tucker 6'6" & 325

That is 6 offensive tackles he's brought in to compete with the 3 holdovers in Smith, Holden and O'Donnell. Free agency still isn't done and neither is the draft nor June 1st cuts nor 53-Man cutdown day. He and his scouts are always looking.

We won games with Clark at LT and won games with old man Veldheer pulled from his couch because the unit is the strength and If one of those listed above wins the job, so be it.

56 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Quality offensive lineman can come from literally anywhere. They come from 1st Round picks, they come from the free agent scrapheap and they come from the undfrafted ranks as well.  The funny thing is, some guys blossom with a change of scenery, a different set of voices in their ear or even a scheme change - but most importantly, the offensive line is a tight knit unit and they have to work together, strengths of one masking flaws of another, etc., etc.

Jeff Saturday - undrafted, cut by a team or two gets a call and is Peyton Manning's center for +/-13 years. He was not the most talented athlete, but he fit the system Mudd ran. So while all you negative nancies are focused on how bad X player is or what Y players weaknesses are you are missing the bigger picture - they could be perfect for our scheme, with our unit, with our coaches voices in their ear!

As far as Ballard is concerned, look at what was here at the end of the season and look what he has brought in to try his darndest to shore up the situation:

Castonzo - Retired

Green - Unsigned

Clark - Unsigned

Veldheer - Released so he could sign w/Packers in the Playoffs

Smith - Still here

Holden - Still here (late season addition due to injuries)

O'Donnell - Still here (On PS all year)

Free Agents Signed since the EOS all 24-26 years old with 1-4 years experience elsewhere

Jake Benzinger 6'8" & 307

Julie'n Davenport 6'7" & 325

Sam Jones 6'5" & 290

Elijah Nkansah 6'6" & 315

Sam Tevi 6'5" & 311 (Rough two year at RT but only gave up 2 sacks to Herbert at LT last season)

Casey Tucker 6'6" & 325

That is 6 offensive tackles he's brought in to compete with the 3 holdovers in Smith, Holden and O'Donnell. Free agency still isn't done and neither is the draft nor June 1st cuts nor 53-Man cutdown day. He and his scouts are always looking.

We won games with Clark at LT and won games with old man Veldheer pulled from his couch because the unit is the strength and If one of those listed above wins the job, so be it.

Exactly on point! And we cannot overlook just how much easier it is to play LT with Q lined up next to you. It really is a team game, and Q makes everyone around him better. 

1 minute ago, Hark said:

I would love to see them land Walker Little, but I have no idea how early he will go. The draft gurus are all over the board on him.

Walker Little is an interesting prospect. And I agree, his draft status is all over the board. I could see him going late first to anywhere in the third round. It will be interesting to see how the draft plays out for him, and in my mind he is a potential second round candidate for the Colts. 

7 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Walker Little is an interesting prospect. And I agree, his draft status is all over the board. I could see him going late first to anywhere in the third round. It will be interesting to see how the draft plays out for him, and in my mind he is a potential second round candidate for the Colts. 

If the Colts go DE or CB in the first, then I hope we go LT in the 2nd.  And Walker Kittle would be my hope for pick 54.  

I agree his spread is large.   I’d guess 50 spots, 25-75.   But my prediction would be the 2nd round.   I think one team would be willing to invest a 2nd on a kid with his physical tools and resume. 

Seeing some folks here (and other threads) talk about Tevi or Davenport as starters, is a bit twilight zone to me. 

They are both quality depth swing tackles. Perhaps they'd be OK in spot duty next to Q, but you don't want either starting. IMO, what we currently have, and what we have signed, are just good moves to improve depth (which was lacking last year).

Remember last year when people said Clark was the worst tackle in the league and then Green played and people were wishing Clark hadn’t gotten hurt?  I am glad Ballard is bringing in some vet tackles.  Will they be better than Clark and Green?  I sure hope so but time will tell but the back up tackle spots had to be addressed. 

Archived