Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

MA-C 2nd round tender

EastStreet

Ballard clearly looks to be keeping his younger guys.  I am starting to think Hilton maybe Houston also get contracts and one or two other smaller moves and the Colts are done.  Rhodes is the x-factor I’d live him back but I think it all depends on the number 

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Ballard clearly looks to be keeping his younger guys.  I am starting to think Hilton maybe Houston also get contracts and one or two other smaller moves and the Colts are done.  Rhodes is the x-factor I’d live him back but I think it all depends on the number 

He's just keeping good, cheap production IMO. And any starter or key depth that is a RFA or ERFA is young by default, and also cheap.

I'd bet Rhodes is their biggest priority right now.

MAC obviously performed well when utilized. His catching was very solid. He was a huge factor in the intermediate to deep game vs MN. His blocking was very good. So why wasn't his number called more. It just felt mostly that he was underutilized, or simply utilized much less than a guy like Burton, who I see as more of a slot than a TE anyway.

More MAC please.

3 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

There's no way any team is going to give up a 2 for either one of those guys.

I would be very surprised if someone did for Pascal especially given the WR draft class.

I would not be shocked though if some teams were interested in MAC. He graded out as a top 5 TE IIRC, and had very solid grades in receiving, pass blocking, and run blocking. He had good YAC, good AVG, a good catch %, and low drop %. There just wasn't an area where he was bad or even average. IMO, he was underutilized in the passing game. He still was our #1 TE in terms of production, even if he was #2 in TE snaps.

My bet is, he'll become one of Wentz's favs.

I would still love an upgrade a TE if possible.  I think Smith, Hunter, and some other TEs getting grabbed up, Ballard found this prudent.  I think MAC can be better utilized.

This offense isnt reaching its full potential without better TE production.

33 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

I would still love an upgrade a TE if possible.  I think Smith, Hunter, and some other TEs getting grabbed up, Ballard found this prudent.  I think MAC can be better utilized.

This offense isnt reaching its full potential without better TE production.

I just don't see Ballard spending big on devalued position to be honest. And I really hope Reich starts using TEs more as O weapons instead of heavy set blockers.  A move TE like Everett for around 5m/y would be nice, only IF Frank is going to open things up. Cook or Rudolph on a one year rental would be good on the cheap. Firkser is a move TE/H-back option. Basically a better Burton. Arnold is one of my favorites though. He's more of a plus size WR, and reminds me a bit of Pitts and could be had for cheap.

I think he was more valuable to the Colts than to other teams, IMO. Probably the weak TE class and the money doled out by the Pats to TEs early on in free agency had an impact??? Not sure but happy MAC will still be with us.

Also, there is a 1st and 2nd round tender and an original round tender. Since MAC was an UDFA, there was no original round tender to be applied.

17 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I just don't see Ballard spending big on devalued position to be honest. And I really hope Reich starts using TEs more as O weapons instead of heavy set blockers.  A move TE like Everett for around 5m/y would be nice, only IF Frank is going to open things up. Cook or Rudolph on a one year rental would be good on the cheap. Firkser is a move TE/H-back option. Basically a better Burton. Arnold is one of my favorites though. He's more of a plus size WR, and reminds me a bit of Pitts and could be had for cheap.

We need to draft one so we can control them for 3-4 years cheap. And Mo develops more and he might end up replacing Doyle who is getting a little long in the tooth 

2 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

We need to draft one so we can control them for 3-4 years cheap. And Mo develops more and he might end up replacing Doyle who is getting a little long in the tooth 

IMO, MAC has already displaced Doyle as the #1. A few less snaps, but more production, and we didn't lose anything when he had to block. Not saying Doyle will be shelved or anything like that, as he's a very productive, well rounded, and great route running TE. He's just not the intermediate and deep threat that MAC is. 

I'm a little disappointed they didn't try to lock up MAC for 3 years on a value contract. 

I don't mind drafting one, but I really doubt we use picks in the 1st, 2nd, or 4th rounds. We've got much bigger needs IMO. TE though is a position you can find good ones later in the draft or even UDFA. College teams use TEs do differently from team to team, and some stud TEs just never get used a lot depending on the scheme.

12 hours ago, EastStreet said:

IMO, MAC has already displaced Doyle as the #1. A few less snaps, but more production, and we didn't lose anything when he had to block. Not saying Doyle will be shelved or anything like that, as he's a very productive, well rounded, and great route running TE. He's just not the intermediate and deep threat that MAC is. 

I'm a little disappointed they didn't try to lock up MAC for 3 years on a value contract. 

I don't mind drafting one, but I really doubt we use picks in the 1st, 2nd, or 4th rounds. We've got much bigger needs IMO. TE though is a position you can find good ones later in the draft or even UDFA. College teams use TEs do differently from team to team, and some stud TEs just never get used a lot depending on the scheme.

Yea I agree, I also wouldn’t be surprised if the colts flipped Doyle’s contract for ertz if the Eagles end up taking a low ball pick like a 4th or 5th and the colts sign him to a Doyle type deal and move on from Doyle since MAC is a bigger more athletic Doyle with better blocking skills 

9 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

Yea I agree, I also wouldn’t be surprised if the colts flipped Doyle’s contract for ertz if the Eagles end up taking a low ball pick like a 4th or 5th and the colts sign him to a Doyle type deal and move on from Doyle since MAC is a bigger more athletic Doyle with better blocking skills 

I really don't see the Colts parting with Doyle given the history. He'd be an easy cut/release though, as the dead cap would be under a mil. I think we could get mid round pick for him if we wanted to trade.

And I really don't want to pick up Ertz's 12.4 cap hit. That's more than twice Doyle's 5.8M.

IMO, Philly is will struggle to find a trade partner at 12.4M. I'm to a point where I think they'll just have to release him and eat the dead cap. It'll save them 8M this year though. 

One thing I would do is just trade Philly Doyle for Ertz straight up. It would be a -6 to our cap. Or Give them a 5th, for Ertz and their 3rd.

Archived