Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Drew Stanton

subvet

You guys are going to love Stanton. He will more than be able to hold the door for Luck until he is ready or if he needs a break. I am a Lions fan and we really wanted him as our number two vs. shaun hill ( but he is pretty good too). Stanton has gotten better each year and while not a prototype guy, he is a serious gamer and can run around as well as throw the ball well. Great move for a great price. Hope he is with you guys for years!

Stanton should be the starter week 1 with Luck ready to come off the bench.

I have a sinking feeling any time a rookie takes the field too early.

The only way that happens is if Luck is injured week 1. There is nothing wrong with starting Luck from the very beginning. Manning started week 1 and he made mistakes, mistakes that he learned from and made him better. Luck will have growing pains there is no doubt about that, but he will learn from those growing pains and they will make him a better QB.

Good backup QB. I agree with Balzer40. Luck needs to be on the field from Day1. If Andy Dalton and Cam Newton can do it, Luck and RG3 can do it. I could add Ponder and a couple more rookies from last year that did well but were not starters Day 1. Gabbert was Day 1, but had a tough rookie year.

Stanton should be the starter week 1 with Luck ready to come off the bench.

I have a sinking feeling any time a rookie takes the field too early.

We didn't cut Peyton manning so luck or rg3 could ride the bench. Also starting as a rookie didn't seem to hurt dalton or even Peyton Manning

You have to love the shrewd trading. They got Justice at the price of dropping a few spots in the draft, and now have Stanton for taking that same pick and dropping a bit more. The Jets dysfunction is our gain.

I live in Michigan, and think he was overrated coming out in the draft in 2007. He has never lived up to his draft status. He couldnt get a start at QB on the 0-16 Lions team that was desperate to win a game. If the Colts liked him enough why didnt they sign him last week instead of giving up a draft pick to get him? This is the first move this season I have questioned. I could find reason with the rest of the moves. Luck is going to need a veteran QB to help him along this season, and a QB with 3 career starts is not it. I wish we would have signed Billy Volek instead.

I live in Michigan, and think he was overrated coming out in the draft in 2007. He has never lived up to his draft status. He couldnt get a start at QB on the 0-16 Lions team that was desperate to win a game. If the Colts liked him enough why didnt they sign him last week instead of giving up a draft pick to get him? This is the first move this season I have questioned. I could find reason with the rest of the moves. Luck is going to need a veteran QB to help him along this season, and a QB with 3 career starts is not it. I wish we would have signed Billy Volek instead.

I'm sure that he was all that and more, but in looking him up I see that he missed the entire 2007 season with an injury, and was injured in pre-season before 2008, letting Orlovsky ahead of him. He did see some action, but the team was win-less. Stafford came in and that was all she wrote. I don't see that he's actually had a chance to play yet. Frankly it's a pity that we weren't able to get HIM last year (instead of his former teammate). He'd have to be over-rated a LOT to have less potential that the 6th round talent on our roster.

Regarding signing with the Colts earlier, considering how quickly the Colts jumped at this deal I'd be willing to bet that they had already spoken to him when he was a FA. The logical answer is that he CHOSE the Jets because he felt that he had a chance to take the starting job. Why not, Sanchez is lousy. There isn't much reason for him to willingly go from sitting behind one #1 overall pick to sitting behind and even younger and more highly regarded #1 pick. The poor guy is just another victim of this years FA QB merry go round.

----

Volek was decent a few years ago, and would have also been nice to have last year (where WERE all these guys when we needed them), but he is getting up there in years. Luck does NOT need a vet QB behind him. He needs good coaches behind him. That mentoring nonsense is seriously overblown.

Edited by MAC

I'm sure that he was all that and more, but in looking him up I see that he missed the entire 2007 season with an injury, and was injured in pre-season before 2008, letting Orlovsky ahead of him. He did see some action, but the team was win-less. Stafford came in and that was all she wrote. I don't see that he's actually had a chance to play yet. Frankly it's a pity that we weren't able to get HIM last year (instead of his former teammate). He'd have to be over-rated a LOT to have less potential that the 6th round talent on our roster.

Regarding signing with the Colts earlier, considering how quickly the Colts jumped at this deal I'd be willing to bet that they had already spoken to him when he was a FA. The logical answer is that he CHOSE the Jets because he felt that he had a chance to take the starting job. Why not, Sanchez is lousy. There isn't much reason for him to willingly go from sitting behind one #1 overall pick to sitting behind and even younger and more highly regarded #1 pick. The poor guy is just another victim of this years FA QB merry go round.

----

Volek was decent a few years ago, and would have also been nice to have last year (where WERE all these guys when we needed them), but he is getting up there in years. Luck does NOT need a vet QB behind him. He needs good coaches behind him. That mentoring nonsense is seriously overblown.

Would have to agree with this post....

I think Stanton would make a great backup to Luck, or if for some reason they decide to start Stanton, it would not bother me... He is probably the best Back up QB Colts have had since they came to INDY

The Colts won't bring in a vet with too much talent. They'll float or sink with Luck. It was the same with Manning. The next 2 to 3 years will be about Luck's development

I think Stanton would make a great backup to Luck, or if for some reason they decide to start Stanton, it would not bother me... He is probably the best Back up QB Colts have had since they came to INDY

He has a 66 career Qb passer raiting. Everything else is speculation

Jim harbaugh was a back up at one point here so I disagree with that.

Well I think its the best backup we have had in a long time. At least we know he is capable of doing things. I would hate our #1 pick to get injured though. O line improvements are happening for a reason.

I agree he is the best backup we have had in a long time, but still isnt saying a whole lot. With a rookie coming in, I just wished we had a backup QB with more experience.

I agree he is the best backup we have had in a long time, but still isnt saying a whole lot. With a rookie coming in, I just wished we had a backup QB with more experience.

Lol, very true, that isn't saying a lot. I think with our cap the way it is we are doing pretty good though. This time next year we should really start looking good I think.

Considering the less than stellar QB play of Curtis Painter, the benchmark set for Drew Stanton isn't exactly Mount Everest is it? I wish Stanton well.

I would have preferred Billy Volek myself who was Philip Rivers backup in San Diego initially. But, Stanton's cheap asking price was an offer our Colts front office simply couldn't refuse IMO.

Considering the less than stellar QB play of Curtis Painter, the benchmark set for Drew Stanton isn't exactly Mount Everest is it? I wish Stanton well.

I would have preferred Billy Volek myself who was Philip Rivers backup in San Diego initially. But, Stanton's cheap asking price was an offer our Colts front office simply couldn't refuse IMO.

Contract low.....a 6th for a 7th. I too like the idea of a more veteran backup, but with Arians as OC, he has a pretty good track record with young QBs (Insert number 18 and Big Ben)