Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Parris Campbell returns to practice

Indyfan4life

Colts WR Parris Campbell (concussion) returned to practice Tuesday.

Campbell was donning a red no-contact jersey but it's still a step in the right direction after he entered the league's protocol following a minor car accident last week. With negligent competition in the slot for Week 1, Campbell is a viable high-floor FLEX play against Jacksonville if cleared prior to kick-off.

Source: Andrew Walker on Twitter

Sep 1, 2020, 2:49 PM ET

Good. I really hope he can avoid the injury bug this year and ball out for us. High hopes for the kid.

8 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

Lol even off the field the injury bug found him. 

Hopefully he hasn't fallen ill with the *injury prones disease*

Every now and again the injury bug lets a man go and he gets to fly.  It's not the normal trajectory.

No one's denying Campbell's talent but I need to see him stay on the field for at least half a season.  Frankly I'm already scared as hell because TY has been visited by the critterbug over the last 2-3 years.  We are probably going to need all the help we can get at wideout.

16 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Every now and again the injury bug lets a man go and he gets to fly.  It's not the normal trajectory.

No one's denying Campbell's talent but I need to see him stay on the field for at least half a season.  Frankly I'm already scared as hell because TY has been visited by the critterbug over the last 2-3 years.  We are probably going to need all the help we can get at wideout.

I can hardly blame you for feeling that way. Especially after last seasons WR curse. 

54 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

They say TY looks as fast (he says faster) than ever... however, he has already missed time with hamstring tightness and I noticed he was on a 'rest' day with Blackmon the other day.  I sure hope he stays healthy, but given that he's had nagging calf injuries 2 years in a row has me a bit skeptical that he'll be full go for 16 games and postseason.

On paper, this is the best WR group we've had going into the season since at least 2012 (IMO)... but that changes quickly if anything happens to TY or Campbell.  

6 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

On paper, this is the best WR group we've had going into the season since at least 2012 (IMO)

Dunno how you figure, as far as I can see our WR unit is basically TY, Pascal, and a random assortment of reclamation projects, rookies, and practice squad fodder.  This might be the worst WR group we have literally ever had as a Colts franchise, especially with TY struggling wirh chronic lower body injuries and Campbell already showing chinks in the armor for a second straight year..

Even if Campbell works out, that's still an incredibly shallow WR corps.  Pascal should be about a 3-4, right now he's the 2 unless Campbelland the rookies show up.  Campbell should be fighting for the 5 spot, now he's in a position where he's going to have to play way over his head to get the job done, because that usually ends well.

We need a professional WR2.  And probably a WR3 as well.  That will push Pascal down to WR4 where he belongs and ease Campbell back into the roster without putting insane expectations on him.

As for who, well the guys I've wanted for years are Mohammed Sanu and Danny Amendola.  Either one of those guys are better than any of our receivers not named Hilton and Pascal have proven to be.

1 hour ago, Imgrandojji said:

Dunno how you figure, as far as I can see our WR unit is basically TY, Pascal, and a random assortment of reclamation projects, rookies, and practice squad fodder.  This might be the worst WR group we have literally ever had as a Colts franchise, especially with TY struggling wirh chronic lower body injuries and Campbell already showing chinks in the armor for a second straight year..

Even if Campbell works out, that's still an incredibly shallow WR corps.  Pascal should be about a 3-4, right now he's the 2 unless Campbelland the rookies show up.  Campbell should be fighting for the 5 spot, now he's in a position where he's going to have to play way over his head to get the job done, because that usually ends well.

We need a professional WR2.  And probably a WR3 as well.  That will push Pascal down to WR4 where he belongs and ease Campbell back into the roster without putting insane expectations on him.

As for who, well the guys I've wanted for years are Mohammed Sanu and Danny Amendola.  Either one of those guys are better than any of our receivers not named Hilton and Pascal have proven to be.

Campbell has shown “chinks in the armor for a second straight year” ?????

What in the world are you talking about?

Football injuries last year.   Car accident this year.    Car accident!    Hello?   Car!  Accident!!  

WTH?!?

You've had some bad posts, but this one ranks lol...  You have like zero expectations of the QB position and still to this day go out of your way to prop up a mediocre QB, And at the same time, you have freakishly high expectations of the WR group, a few of them who are very promising newbies and just need time.

If you want to talk about shallow WR groups, look at 2018. There was TY and a rag tag group of guys that Lucked turned them into the 6th most productive group in the NFL. Rogers was our #2 WR. We've upgraded considerably since then. Yes, they are unproven, but to ignore the potential and say "This might be the worst WR group we have literally ever had as a Colts franchise" is truly twilight zone level detachment from reality.

TY - aging, and has had bad luck with soft tissue issues, but looks to be back to form. And if he does go down again, we have more talent behind him than we ever have with similar speed and agility. I doubt the depth has his last-cut-separation skill, but few WRs in the NFL do.

Campbell - yes, a lot of injuries, but all the injuries were different. So it's either freak bad luck, or he's glass. We'll find that out this year. So far this year, he's fine (aside from an unrelated car accident, another freak situation). Anyway, he's got incredible speed and agility, and could easily be our future at Z or slot. He was highly graded going into the draft at the Z/slot. If he has injury issues again this year, I'm sure we'll move on. If not, it's very possible he becomes the air apparent to TY (which Reich has hinted).

Pittman -  he was the best X prospect in the draft per most of the talking heads, and if he develops, he pushes Pascal down to 4-6 WR where he belongs. He was considered the best underneath route runner in the draft. 

Patmon - emerging and might even challenge Pittman for snaps. Might even be used at more than X. He has the height and speed that is simply rare in NFL WRs. If he pans out, could be special. He might also tank, but if he does, not a big loss considering his draft position. So he's either a huge bargain and diamond in the rough, or not a big loss if he fails. By all accounts, he's doing very well.

Fountain - another injury issue, but was looking exceptional last year.

Dulin - another guy with exceptional measurements, not to mention STs value on both returns and as gunner.

Pascal - a workman type X who simply gets the job done. In reality, he might be the 6th or 7th best WR of this group when it's all said and done.

Johnson - Another guy with good measureables who has flashed, and would be a good depth WR. He was running wide open along with a lot of other WRs last year, and JB simply couldn't see them. Who knows how he'd look with an upgrade like Rivers.

Anyway, like I said. You expect zero from the QB, but perfection out of the WR group. Out of the two you mentioned, Sanu just got cut. He's good and will get picked up, but it's not like he's a surefire upgrade over guys like Campbell or Pittman (or some of the others). I like Amendola but he's never had more than 700 yards in his career. He might have a few years left, but he's on the decline. Not sure why you'd even compare him. We're trying to build for our future with draft picks. Amendola would be a short term fix that would hurt the development of our young guys.

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Campbell has shown “chinks in the armor for a second straight year” ?????

What in the world are you talking about?

Football injuries last year.   Car accident this year.    Car accident!    Hello?   Car!  Accident!!  

WTH?!?

An injury is an injury.  You're right, this one's not football related, but going into the season with a concussion already on the books this year still isn't a good thing.  It means any head contact he takes is even more concerning than it might otherwise be.

Even if it's not a football injury it still impacts how much we can depend on him to put up yards.  And the fact of the matter is that we're in a position to count on too much from Campbell anyway, exactly because we lack a backbone of professional wideouts.

Hoping that things go OK is optimism.  Failing to improve the team because of magical thinking and simply assuming that plan A is going to work across the board is insanity.  There's a vast difference between the two.

We have an issue at WR.  I do not know why Ballard is refusing to address it.  Hopefully the rookies take a much bigger step forward than anyone should be asking of them because otherwise, even Rivers is going to have problems this year.

6 hours ago, EastStreet said:

You've had some bad posts, but this one ranks lol...  You have like zero expectations of the QB position and still to this day go out of your way to prop up a mediocre QB, And at the same time, you have freakishly high expectations of the WR group, a few of them who are very promising newbies and just need time.

If you want to talk about shallow WR groups, look at 2018. There was TY and a rag tag group of guys that Lucked turned them into the 6th most productive group in the NFL. Rogers was our #2 WR. We've upgraded considerably since then. Yes, they are unproven, but to ignore the potential and say "This might be the worst WR group we have literally ever had as a Colts franchise" is truly twilight zone level detachment from reality.

TY - aging, and has had bad luck with soft tissue issues, but looks to be back to form. And if he does go down again, we have more talent behind him than we ever have with similar speed and agility. I doubt the depth has his last-cut-separation skill, but few WRs in the NFL do.

Campbell - yes, a lot of injuries, but all the injuries were different. So it's either freak bad luck, or he's glass. We'll find that out this year. So far this year, he's fine (aside from an unrelated car accident, another freak situation). Anyway, he's got incredible speed and agility, and could easily be our future at Z or slot. He was highly graded going into the draft at the Z/slot. If he has injury issues again this year, I'm sure we'll move on. If not, it's very possible he becomes the air apparent to TY (which Reich has hinted).

Pittman -  he was the best X prospect in the draft per most of the talking heads, and if he develops, he pushes Pascal down to 4-6 WR where he belongs. He was considered the best underneath route runner in the draft. 

Patmon - emerging and might even challenge Pittman for snaps. Might even be used at more than X. He has the height and speed that is simply rare in NFL WRs. If he pans out, could be special. He might also tank, but if he does, not a big loss considering his draft position. So he's either a huge bargain and diamond in the rough, or not a big loss if he fails. By all accounts, he's doing very well.

Fountain - another injury issue, but was looking exceptional last year.

Dulin - another guy with exceptional measurements, not to mention STs value on both returns and as gunner.

Pascal - a workman type X who simply gets the job done. In reality, he might be the 6th or 7th best WR of this group when it's all said and done.

Johnson - Another guy with good measureables who has flashed, and would be a good depth WR. He was running wide open along with a lot of other WRs last year, and JB simply couldn't see them. Who knows how he'd look with an upgrade like Rivers.

Anyway, like I said. You expect zero from the QB, but perfection out of the WR group. Out of the two you mentioned, Sanu just got cut. He's good and will get picked up, but it's not like he's a surefire upgrade over guys like Campbell or Pittman (or some of the others). I like Amendola but he's never had more than 700 yards in his career. He might have a few years left, but he's on the decline. Not sure why you'd even compare him. We're trying to build for our future with draft picks. Amendola would be a short term fix that would hurt the development of our young guys.

I'm seeing TY and a whole lot of maybes.  Talented maybes in some cases, but maybes.  The only other guy I see besides TY in our WR unit with a useful level of NFL experience is Pascal who, as you said and I agree, is a solid guy to have behind your star WRs, he is not one himself.

I mean it's not impossible that they manage to patch this group into a solid receiving unit but I'd still like to see at least 1 more guy with some actual experience.   

I mean if we have a motley crew at WR at least we have a veteran QB, you're right that that makes a difference, but our WR unit is very sketchy and incredibly green right now, it's OK to admit that.

I mean if we were rolling with a young team and letting them figure themselves out this WR unit would probably be fine, they'd make a million mistakes learning on the job but that'd be OK because that's what a rebuild looks like.

The presence of Rivers on the roster though suggests that someone thinks this is a Superbowl contending team, and looking at the WR unit... no. Just.... no.

If we got Rivers for the mentorship he provides to the young WR, that's valuable, he's been around the block and will help these young players develop better than a less experienced NFL QB might, but something tells me we didn't sign an elite QB to a 1 year deal for mentorship.  Irsay wants to compete, and this unit, at least in my mind, is at least 2 years away from really being ready to do that.

Bottom line, I desperately want a veteran WR2.

2 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

I'm seeing TY and a whole lot of maybes.  Talented maybes in some cases, but maybes.  The only other guy I see in our WR unit with a useful level of NFL experience is Pascal who, as you said and I agree, is a solid guy to have behind your star WRs, he is not one himself.

I mean it's not impossible that they manage to patch this group into a solid receiving unit but I'd still like to see at least 1 more guy with some actual experience.   I mean if we have a motley crew at WR at least we have a veteran QB, you're right that that makes a difference, but our WR unit is very sketchy right now, it's OK to admit that.

Rooks don't get experience until they play. Pittmon, Patmon, and to an extent Campbell are all rooks. Fountain given his injury last year is kinda in that boat too. Being a young guy yet to get experience, is not sketchy. Most think Pittman, Patmon, and Campbell are extremely promising. Not sure why that's so hard to grasp. Not every team has a unit full of tier 1 vets. Are they proven, no. The question is, will they look proven, and be productive come Week 1.

I'm gonna bet our passing game is easily in the top half of the league, if not top 3rd. 

What's your prediction? That way we can revisit as the year goes along, and after the season.

I predict better than last year simply on the basis that we probably won't be at the bottom of the league in pass attempts, but beyond that I have no idea.  One of the reasons I'm freaking out is exactly because I can't get a read about what this receiving team looks like because we have seen almost none of them under live fire.

It comes down to the young wideouts' ability to find synergy with a new QB.  If it happens, we're good, but inexperienced WRs sometimes take time to get there.  There's a reason why veteran receivers are prized so much.

If we were rebuilding this would be a good receiving unit. There's a lot of talent.  But with only 2 WR with multiple years of NFL experience, 1 of which being a deep depth guy (Pascal), we're gonna have some issues.

Basically, it's like we sent Ballard to go buy a car and he came back with a bucket of parts.  If he managed to find everything we need we can get a car really cheap that way, but heaven help us if he forgot to buy an engine.

I predict a middle 15 season in the passing game, which is a big improvement over last year, with a veteran QB this is going to go easier and we should at least be decent through the air, but not sure if I'd go to top half sight unseen, since getting there depends on a lot of receivers doing things they've never done in the NFL before.

Under the circumstances I really feel like it's fair to say that we'll all know a lot more aboutt what to expect by week 6.

I predict better than last year simply on the basis that we probably won't be at the bottom of the league in pass attempts, but beyond that I have no idea.  One of the reasons I'm freaking out is exactly because I can't get a read about what this receiving team looks like because we have seen almost none of them under live fire.

It comes down to the young wideouts' ability to find synergy with a new QB.  If it happens, we're good, but inexperienced WRs sometimes take time to get there.  There's a reason why veteran receivers are prized so much.

If we were rebuilding this would be a good receiving unit. There's a lot of talent.  But with only 2 WR with multiple years of NFL experience, 1 of which being a deep depth guy (Pascal), we're gonna have some issues.

Basically, it's like we sent Ballard to go buy a car and he came back with a bucket of parts.  If he managed to find everything we need we can get a car really cheap that way, but heaven help us if he forgot to buy an engine.

I predict a middle 15 season in the passing game, which is a big improvement over last year, with a veteran QB this is going to go easier and we should at least be decent through the air, but not sure if I'd go to top half sight unseen, since getting there depends on a lot of receivers doing things they've never done in the NFL before.

Under the circumstances I really feel like it's fair to say that we'll all know a lot more aboutt what to expect by week 6.

All right, let's make this easy/clear. 

The Colts will rank what in average passing yards per game (assumes Rivers starts)? 

A 1-5

B 6-10

C 11-16

D 17-22

E 23-27

F 28-32

25 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

The Colts will rank what in average passing yards per game (assumes Rivers starts)? 

A 1-5

B 6-10

C 11-16

D 17-22

E 23-27

F 28-32

Thanks.

Gonna say D, but if the rookies step up and perform as they're capable of, and Rivers is Rivers, that could easily be low.

I think we'll have some moments where the passing attack looks Godlike, but mistakes from inexperienced wideouts will also cost us some games.  So a mixed bag, but, as a general rule, we'll see better results than last year.  More passing yards, more passing TDs, more drops, more unforced errors.  

57 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

A 1-5

B 6-10

C 11-16

D 17-22

E 23-27

F 28-32

I've added NFL's passing yards from 2019, for reference, to the scale.

A, 1-5, 4,498-4,845

B, 6-10, 3,900-4,426

C, 11-16, 3,760-3,833

D, 17-22, 3,554-3,733

E, 23-27, 3,225-3,523

F, 28-32, 2,812-3,115

I agree with NCF, somewhere in the B range.

6 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

Thanks.

Gonna say D, but if the rookies step up and perform as they're capable of, and Rivers is Rivers, that could easily be low.

I think we'll have some moments where the passing attack looks Godlike, but mistakes from inexperienced wideouts will also cost us some games.  So a mixed bag, but, as a general rule, we'll see better results than last year.  More passing yards, more passing TDs, more drops, more unforced errors.  

So you pick 17-22, which would be just below average, but also hedging your bet to say it could be better than D lol. And earlier you said this looks like the worst of all time Colts WR unit, which is what started this debate? How does being slightly below average to slightly above average translate into the worst of all time?

My official prediction is upper C, with a decent chance of being B if Rivers and the WR just have decent health.

5 hours ago, Dogg63 said:

I've added NFL's passing yards from 2019, for reference, to the scale.

A, 1-5, 4,498-4,845

B, 6-10, 3,900-4,426

C, 11-16, 3,760-3,833

D, 17-22, 3,554-3,733

E, 23-27, 3,225-3,523

F, 28-32, 2,812-3,115

I agree with NCF, somewhere in the B range.

I predict him in the 3800-4100 range. Could be even higher depending on our D. If our DBs don't take a step up, I can see some shootouts given we play some good Os.

15 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

So you pick 17-22, which would be just below average, but also hedging your bet to say it could be better than D lol. And earlier you said this looks like the worst of all time Colts WR unit, which is what started this debate? How does being slightly below average to slightly above average translate into the worst of all time?

My official prediction is upper C, with a decent chance of being B if Rivers and the WR just have decent health.

Let me clarify my position just a bit so you can see where I'm coming from.

The thing that has me on edge isn't talent.  We HAVE talent.  In fact the WR team is, from any objective measurement, decently talented -- not top 10, but there's tools to work with here.

What we don't have a ton of outside Hilton, is EXPERIENCE.  Our WR unit is very, very, VERY green, with only Hilton and Pascal having multiple seasons under their belts.  Inexperience means mistakes and mistakes mean missed opportunities.  You don't build a house with green wood and not expect it to warp and crack in places.  It's something to weigh in the balance.

Basically I feel like we're banking way, WAY too much on developmental progress from the middle of our WR depth, even more so than last year since we're down Funchess and Cain.  That could go very well, it's possible that it could work out, or it could explode in our face with key players we're counting on spitting the bit at the worst possible time.  Most likely both will happen at various points in the year.

The thing that's stopping me from rating it any lower than a D is the presence of Rivers.  An elite QB can cover a lot of sins in the WR unit, especially if Rivers succeeds in getting all this green talent on the same page as himself.     An elite QB can get an average or better performance out of a pretty putrid WR corps at times.

The thing that's stopping me from rating it any higher than a D is the fact that development never consistent.  We're counting on like 4 members of our WR corps to be productive NFL regulars right off the bat, and that's just not how player development WORKS man.  Some of those guys aren't going to make it,and we have no idea who yet.

Developing rookies is an ulcer-inducing process, and player development as a whole is a mixed bag,  with a few steps forward, a few steps back and a million steps sideways.  And you just hope there's more steps forward than back, but there's no reason to say for sure that'll happen.  Not good when you're talking about literally 3 or 4 guys out of our 6 man receiver corps.  IF we're lucky 2 of those guys will still be here at the end of the year.

With so many unproven wideouts I just can't feel confident declaring our passing attack above average.  I think it will improve as the season goes on but with the lack of professionale xxperience, we might very well have some "learning experiences" that hold back the overall numbers in weeks 1-9.  And that's assuming everyone stays healthy, which is by no means a given.

14 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Let me clarify my position just a bit so you can see where I'm coming from.

The thing that has me on edge isn't talent.  We HAVE talent.  In fact the WR team is, from any objective measurement, decently talented -- not top 10, but there's tools to work with here.

What we don't have a ton of outside Hilton, is EXPERIENCE.  Our WR unit is very, very, VERY green, with only Hilton and Pascal having multiple seasons under their belts.  Inexperience means mistakes and mistakes mean missed opportunities.  It's a factor to consider in the mix.

Basically I feel like we're banking way, WAY too much on developmental progress from the middle of our WR depth, even more so than last year since we're down Funchess and Cain.  That could go very well, it's possible that it could work out, or it could explode in our face with key players we're counting on spitting the bit at the worst possible time.  Most likely both will happen at various points in the year.

The thing that's stopping me from rating it any lower than a D is the presence of Rivers.  An elite QB can cover a lot of sins in the WR unit, especially if Rivers succeeds in getting all this green talent on the same page as himself.  

The thing that's stopping me from rating it any higher than a D is the fact that development is a mixed bag, a few steps forward, a few steps back and a million steps sideways.  With so many unproven wideouts I just can't feel confident declaring our passing attack above average.  I think it will improve as the season goes on but with this much green would, we might very well have some "learning experiences" that hold back the overall numbers in weeks 1-9.  And that's assuming everyone stays healthy, which is by no means a given.

You're dancing like Fred Astaire away from "worst ever" comment

51683fd34d6d2ed76e10889673de94d4.gif

No, I just value experience more than you do.  I don't count on rookies to deliver until they're actually delivering, while you're blowing sunshine up various orifices, which is why I made that comment and why I'm so worried about the receiver room, and why you'd rather mock and live in denial than actually address the point I've been clear about in this whole thread..

4 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

No, I just value experience more than you do.  I don't count on rookies to deliver until they're actually delivering, while you're blowing sunshine up various orifices, which is why I made that comment and why I'm so worried about the receiver room, and why you'd rather mock and live in denial than actually address the point I've been clear about in this whole thread..

LOL. You're one of the queens of d'Nile when it comes to JB, so the above is pretty rich.

Bottom line, this is far from the worst WR unit we've ever had, which is what started this debate. There are very few on the board, or in the world, that would agree with you. Almost every talking head has been optimistic about our passing game this year. Personnel turnover and rooks are simply part of the game. Again, see the 2018 team which was 6 in passing yards. That was a rag tag group which had little experience, and not near the potential as this years unit.

I've addressed plenty, you simply disagree. 

I will say this about our very young receiver squad.  They are set up to develop and all they have to do is learn how to execute.  They have an elite QB, a high level mentor in TY, and some roleplayers like Pascal and Johnson to provide some additional mentorship and help fill in around the edges when they make mistakes, which they will.

They also have a running attack that was elite last year which will help cover their mistakes.  Even if they're not productive if they can at least keep the coverage honest, that will give room for guys like Mack and Hines to do their thing.

So it's not like there's no chance that we have a good receiving game.  I just want to see it before I count on it.  It's the fact that we are thrusting so many different wideouts into situations they've never handled before is the big thing that has me worried. As long as at least 1-2 of them take a step forward we should be at least decent but again, it hasn't happened yet.

Archived