Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts 2021 re-signs

CR91

Projected Cap Space 125 mil

Must re-sign

Kelly - We need to keep our o-line intact. Kelly deserves to be one of the top paid centers 

4 year 42 mil 20 mil G

Houston - Houston walked in and became one of the best players on our defense. Provided leadership and constant pressure with 11 sacks and I can see a similar season this year. He still has plenty in the tank.

2 year 25 mil 15 G

102 mil cap space

Would like to see Re-signed

Walker - Walker and Leonard imo are one of the best LBer tandem and Id like to keep that intact, however Okereke might make the colts think he's moveable. 

5 year 40 mil 20 G

Hilton - I am one of the biggest Hilton fans, however it depends on health and how well guys like Pittman, Campbell, and Pascal develop.

2 year 30 mil 12 G

Mack - I honestly still think Mack will get re-signed. Even if Taylor has a good rookie year, Mack and Taylor could become the best RB tandem behind our line. Unless Mack really is upset about sharing a backfield, he is not gonna get top dollar anywhere.

4 year 28 mil 14 G

72 mil cap space

Depends if needed to Re-sign

Rivers - Obviously it comes down to rather or not Rivers has anything left and if the colts feel confident about Eason.

1 year 25 mil

Rhodes - I'm rooting for Rhodes. I think he's the prototypical Ballard corner, but he needs to show he's still a top corner.

2 year 26 mil 10 G

34 mil cap space

Would not be expensive to Re-sign

Burton

Stewart

Muhammad

Will likely move on

Brissett

Hooker

Autry

I thought we were going to let Mack walk *before* we drafted a RB in the second. Now I'm sure he's gone, and I believe our strategy is to keep the OL elite and just keep young guys running behind it for cheap. It's the smart way to do it IMO. I also doubt we get Kelly for $10M per, Brandon Linder set the market at $10+mil years ago now for a top center. I'd prepare for 4/50 at least.

For me- highest priority re-signs are Kelly and TY. I would let either walk if the price got ridiculous but would not be happy about it. Most likely let Mack and Walker(no way I give him that contract) walk. Rivers, Rhodes, and Hooker depends heavily on performance this year. And Autry/Houston will depend on their market as vets, I'd like them both back for the right price.

49 minutes ago, TheNextGM said:

sorry to the NextGM...   didn’t mean to respond to you.

But to CR91....

The one that leaps out at me is Rhodes. No chance he gets that deal.  Way too much for Ballard at that age.   Maybe 2/18-2/20 and even that is highly doubtful.   Likely more like 1/10. 

Also...    see no reason to move on from Autry.   I believe he will still be under 30.  Ballard wants 10 DL on the roster.  Think that means Autry returns.  

A lot of people seem to be undervaluing Okereke. The kid came in last year and killed it when he was on the field. I could definitely see us letting Walker walk and Bobby stepping in next to Leonard. Having them all 3 this season is gonna be pretty awesome, though. I expect Bobby to take an even bigger step (Giant leap) forward this year. 

8 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think we will also see smith or Leonard resigned after this season also. We will see which one comes first. Ballard is going to want to stager these guys in different years. Probably Leonard first then sign smith the following year.

Would that then put Nelson on a 5th year option following Smiths year?

1 minute ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

Would that then put Nelson on a 5th year option following Smiths year?

Yeah your right but maybe that is how we have to do It to keep the salary cap under control.   I guess it will depend on which is cheaper. Resign Nelson early but he plays under his 5th year option in 2022 or signing him to a brand new contract and not have to exercise the fifth year. 

I anticipate the Colts will be letting some pretty good players go in the next couple of years. 

The talent level that Ballard has accumulated since he has been here will make it impossible to resign some pretty good players. 

Now that has been a complete turnaround as to what we have been used to over the last few years. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

sorry to the NextGM...   didn’t mean to respond to you.

But to CR91....

The one that leaps out at me is Rhodes. No chance he gets that deal.  Way too much for Ballard at that age.   Maybe 2/18-2/20 and even that is highly doubtful.   Likely more like 1/10. 

Also...    see no reason to move on from Autry.   I believe he will still be under 30.  Ballard wants 10 DL on the roster.  Think that means Autry returns.  

It depends. If Rhodes just completely balls out and shows he's still a top corner, he's not re-signing for 9 mil a year. Autry it depends. He just fell off this year so we need to see how he performs.

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

A lot of people seem to be undervaluing Okereke. The kid came in last year and killed it when he was on the field. I could definitely see us letting Walker walk and Bobby stepping in next to Leonard. Having them all 3 this season is gonna be pretty awesome, though. I expect Bobby to take an even bigger step (Giant leap) forward this year. 

I'm not saying Bobby didn't play well. All I'm saying is Walker deserves to be paid. He's more then performed and has been a solid starter.

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

I'm not saying Bobby didn't play well. All I'm saying is Walker deserves to be paid. He's more then performed and has been a solid starter.

I agree, Okereke is a good football player but Walker has definitely earned a pay day. He and Leornard are really close friends and that translates onto the football field with how well they work together and communicate with the defense. I really like our trio of LBers with Leornard, Walker & Okereke. I hope we can figure out a way to keep all 3 for years to come. 

11 hours ago, rock8591 said:

Rhodes will be 31 when the next season starts, no way he gets that money.

I have a feeling with his size (6-1, 218 lbs), he may end up playing safety to end out his career.

I put only 10 mil as G. Easy to get out of.

On 5/9/2020 at 3:45 PM, CR91 said:

Must re-sign

Kelly - We need to keep our o-line intact. Kelly deserves to be one of the top paid centers 

4 year 42 mil 20 mil G

Houston - Houston walked in and became one of the best players on our defense. Provided leadership and constant pressure with 11 sacks and I can see a similar season this year. He still has plenty in the tank.

2 year 25 mil 15 G

102 mil cap space

I agree 100% on these two, assuming Houston doesn't fall off the cliff. His sack total may suffer a bit with the addition of Buckner, but as long as his pressure #s don't fall to much, he's a must re-sign.

Walker - Walker and Leonard imo are one of the best LBer tandem and Id like to keep that intact, however Okereke might make the colts think he's moveable. 

5 year 40 mil 20 G

Hilton - I am one of the biggest Hilton fans, however it depends on health and how well guys like Pittman, Campbell, and Pascal develop.

2 year 30 mil 12 G

Mack - I honestly still think Mack will get re-signed. Even if Taylor has a good rookie year, Mack and Taylor could become the best RB tandem behind our line. Unless Mack really is upset about sharing a backfield, he is not gonna get top dollar anywhere.

4 year 28 mil 14 G

72 mil cap space

I'd say Walker is close to a "must re-sign". Oke really didn't show anything vs the run in the middle, so I don't see him anywhere close to a 3 down MIKE. He struggled in college vs the run too, so it's not just an adjustment thing. Stanford had a great S&C program, so hoping he gains strength, especially his lower half, is probably not going to happen. And honestly, I love how we're using him (Oke) right now. We're getting great bang for the buck as a passing down MIKE + starting SAM.

Mack, would like to keep him, but he's a luxury. If he flips the script and starts looking good catching the ball, I'd up his status, but right now, I think almost any decent RB could be productive running behind our OL. 

TY needs to stay healthy. If he doesn't have a good year, we need to let him go. If he can stay healthy, I'm all for keeping him. I'd love for him to stay as long as he doesn't fall apart. I'd love to see him move to slot when he slows, or if someone else like Campbell emerges at Z.

Rivers - Obviously it comes down to rather or not Rivers has anything left and if the colts feel confident about Eason.

1 year 25 mil

Rhodes - I'm rooting for Rhodes. I think he's the prototypical Ballard corner, but he needs to show he's still a top corner.

2 year 26 mil 10 G

34 mil cap space

I'm going to say Rivers will be a must re-sign at the end of the season. Going from the 29th ranked OL to the #3 ranked OL will take 10 years off him. He won't have to carry the team, nor will he have to play hero ball. Reich's O should be balanced which will open things up and make it much easier for him as well. 

I think Rhodes will end up CB2 opposite Rock. He's basically on a prove it deal, so I expect him to do pretty decent. But I agree, big "depends". Carrie is in that bucket too, but I don't think he'll be counted on like Rhodes. I think Carrie was signed to basically be a quality backup for Moore at NB, and utility if needed elsewhere. 

Burton

Stewart

Muhammad

Going to say Burton is gone unless they end up using him more like a slot WR or catching FB. Regardless of where they use him, or how well he does, I think the Colts will go TE in the draft next year unless a prototypical sized TE like MAC emerges. 

Stewart came on nicely in the 2nd half of the year, so I'd up his status. Very underrated. 

Muhammad is a wildcard, but I think he's back unless they sign another.

Will likely move on

Brissett

Hooker

Autry

I agree on Brissett.

I disagree on Hooker and Autry. I'm going to bet Hooker looks great this year with an upgraded pass rush.

I also think Autry will look better IF they use him more at DE for running downs, and DT for passing downs. He can be a good utility tweener if used correctly. Having Buckner now really will help him out. Not saying he's going to be some monster sack king at all, just that he'll be a quality depth guy at minimum, and perhaps an above average starter if moved around like a chess piece. 

On 5/11/2020 at 6:33 AM, EastStreet said:

TY needs to stay healthy. If he doesn't have a good year, we need to let him go. If he can stay healthy, I'm all for keeping him. I'd love for him to stay as long as he doesn't fall apart. I'd love to see him move to slot when he slows, or if someone else like Campbell emerges at Z.

Glad I'm not the only person who can see TY leaving after this year - injury prone WRs already in their 30s tend not to get paid 10m+ per year.  The only way he becomes a high priority to resign is if both Campbell and Pittman appear to be struggling with life in the NFL, although one could see us looking for a younger replacement.

On 5/9/2020 at 1:45 PM, CR91 said:

Must re-sign

4 year 42 mil 20 mil G

2 year 25 mil 15 G

102 mil cap space

Agree on Kelly, but think gets paid more.

Wait and see on Houston.  He looked like he had plenty in the tank last year, but nagging injuries can make a guy fall off real quick when they're on the wrong side of 30 (Mathis had his best season ever at 32, regardless of if it was steroid induced, got hurt at 33 and was not close to his former self at 34 or 35).  

5 year 40 mil 20 G

2 year 30 mil 12 G

4 year 28 mil 14 G

72 mil cap space

Walker and Leonard have very solid chemistry.  I think Leonard will probably be telling Ballard to bring Walker back.  Also, Ballard generally seems to like Walker when he talks about him..... that said, I think the x factor here is EJ Speed.  Speed is a better athlete than Walker (IMO), but more raw as a football player.  If Speed develops, we'd upgrade our athleticism with Leonard, Okereke and Speed and Leonard can play inside or outside... and noway is Walker not going to get paid after posting multiple 100+ tackle seasons... if Ballard and Co. think Speed's good enough as a football player with another year under his belt, I could see them trying to short change Walker and him leaving.

Hilton -- again, wait and see.   I like the guy a lot.  However, he's had nagging calf injuries that have kept him out of games or severely reduced his play on the field the past two years.  It'd be weird to see him retire or go elsewhere, but if he can't stay healthy and if our younger guys play well, it may be time to move on or see if he'll take a major pay cut.

I have a hard time believing we'll bring Mack back if Taylor really shines.  Maybe, but he's going to want starter money and I don't see Ballard offering that to him if Taylor's taking significant reps from him.

1 year 25 mil

2 year 26 mil 10 G

34 mil cap space

Rivers and Ballard both said he's hoping he'd play here for 2 years.  Unless Rivers gets hurt or Eason really develops quickly, I think we're going to bring him back.

Agree with you on Rhodes (may be a bit steep on contract considering his age), but he seems to have really declined last year from what he was 3 years ago.  If he has some sort of revival out here, I'm for bringing him back.. but I think with his one year deal last year Ballard is gonna need to see him prove it.

Burton

Stewart

Muhammad

Stewart was a project pick and IMO he really started to improve last year.  I think Ballard likes the guy and if he continues on the up and up, I'd like to see him come back.  The nice thing with Buckner, Day and Autry on the team, even if Stewart plays very well, he'll likely not put up big numbers so hopefully that keeps his price down.

I'm interested to see Burton's health. If he's healthy and has a good year, I think he might be more expensive than one may think.. but seems like Reich really likes the guy.

Muhammad is a guy I root for.. but wouldn't be totally shocked if he doesn't make the team this year.  Sounds like Lewis is moving to the outside.. we typically keep 8-9 DL... I'm going to assume Houston, Turay, Buckner, Stewart, Autry and Banogu are locks.. which leaves 2-3 spots for Lewis, Muhammad, Day, Gerri Green, Rob Windsor, Jegs Jegede and the 3 undrafted FAs.... 6-7 of those guys are getting the ax.  Agree though, he'd be a cheap rotational piece.

Will likely move on

Brissett

Hooker

Autry

Agree on Autry and JB. 

Hooker, maybe not.  I kinda took him not getting the contract extension as a 'prove it' message from Ballard more than a 'you're gone' thing, mainly because of Ballard's presser at the end of the year when he said Hooker played well early on but was dropping off late in the season.  Ballard's very high on Blackmon, and has said multiple times he sees him as a starting FS in the NFL.  That said, he's also said he likes Blackmon because he can play multiple spots in the secondary...and, we don't know how he's gonna hold up coming off knee surgery.  Chances are, the earliest we'll see him on the field is late October, if at all this year... if he is a dud and Hooker balls out, I could see Hooker getting a mid-year extension.

On 5/12/2020 at 9:36 AM, IkeAramba said:

Glad I'm not the only person who can see TY leaving after this year - injury prone WRs already in their 30s tend not to get paid 10m+ per year.  The only way he becomes a high priority to resign is if both Campbell and Pittman appear to be struggling with life in the NFL, although one could see us looking for a younger replacement.

TY didn't really didn't lose speed last year, and that's what I worry about as much as his soft tissue issues. He's great at creating with little separation, so I'd love to see him have better luck on the health side of things. If he can do that, he can play for several more years. He could play for at least 2-3 years at slot once he slows. He's just go to stay on the field.

Archived