Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2020 NFL Season is going to be Unusual

AustexColt

The preseason and training will be challenged due to the Carona Virus.  There will still be death and positive cases throughout the country because we have no testing to absolutely confirm the lack of the presence of the virus. Europe and Asia has pushed to professional soccer played in empty stadium with players tested before that there is no Covid virus.  Trump will push sports commission to return ASAP to its normal format, until the virus blows up again, as it will resurge in the fall/winter months. 

My bet is that the NFL will be better served by playing the games in empty stadiums and using virtual fans to provide the stadium and fan feedback to the excitement out on the field. It may recreate the TV experience where fans are coming to you live expressing their excitement (good or bad) in real time.  It would be a win-win for the NFL owners, players and advertisers, and the fan. Everybody gets what they want. I know the owners lose out on the stadium revenue but something is better than nothing.  Maybe they can sell stadium seat viewership like F-1 racing does with placing the camera above the driver's seat. That might be a cool experience for the seat holder. They can save on the food, beverage.

On 4/9/2020 at 11:06 AM, Myles said:

So much is unknown for the 2020 season.   Will it even happen?   Will the season be shortened?  Will some players refuse to play?  Will the NFL give teams extra roster spots .

Why would they refuse to play if they are getting paid? Just because no fans are in the stadium? Or because, like so many folks who want to make Covid-19 a political thing, they want to join that club? Everyone will have heavy hearts, no matter what, for what is going on, but life has to go on in some capacity.

If that gives fans a way for semi-normalcy, I will definitely take it. Home field advantage is what teams will miss, and it will be a weird season for sure. I'd be OK with even paying $5 a month extra for local channels if that brings back NFL and helps give people something to look forward to, same with NBA, IMO, part of it can even go to helping charities. 

They can even sample 1 week a month starting October or November to see how things go with lots of temperature checks, and then let fans back in full fledged when the playoffs start.

On 4/8/2020 at 1:55 PM, AustexColt said:

My bet is that the NFL will be better served by playing the games in empty stadiums

Can you imagine if we still had Peyton Manning playing in a stadium with zero crowd noise in an away stadium? What an absolute beast.

Really, any team that's built with a good QB/passing team will have a huge advantage. For Peyton and the no-huddle offense, it would be hilarious.

23 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

Can you imagine if we still had Peyton Manning playing in a stadium with zero crowd noise in an away stadium? What an absolute beast.

Really, any team that's built with a good QB/passing team will have a huge advantage. For Peyton and the no-huddle offense, it would be hilarious.

Omaha!

Archived