Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Be the GM Game: WR room (read the rules)

EastStreet

Some buds and I had fun projecting our WR unit this year. It's been an ongoing topic as to how to build the perfect WR room.

So, the game is.... You're the GM, but you must follow the basic rules below to ensure a well rounded WR room. 

Rules

You must have 3 WRs that are in the Z and traditional slot bucket

1. At least 2 must have legit speed (4.45 or under) and none over 4.55

2. You must name your starting Z and your starting traditional slot (they can not be the same person)

3. Your starting Z must have 4.45 or better speed

4. One of 3 must be 6-1 or more

You must have 2 WRs in the X and big/bully slot bucket

1. One of your Xs must have 6-3 or better height, none under 6-1

2. Both must be over 210

3. One must have legit speed (4.45) to be a deep threat 

4. You must name your starting X and your starting big/bully slot (they can be the same person)

You can add a 6th WR. The 6th WR must be identified either as a tweener (a guy that could play in either bucket but needs more time), or as a third WR in X and big/bully bucket.

1. Must be minimum 6-0 for tweener, and 6-1 if a 3rd X

2. Must be minimum 200 lbs

You can add up to two external WRs from either the draft or current available FAs. If they are drafted, no trades, and please use realistically available at one of our draft picks. Name the draft spot as well.

Current WRs on Roster

Likely Z or Traditional Slot

Player                         HT   WT   Age   40 Time  Exp    College

T.Y. Hilton               5-10     183    30     4.34         8       Florida International

Parris Campbell      6-0     205    22      4.31         R      Ohio State

Malik Henry            6-0     190    22      4.39         R      West Georgia

Artavis Scott           5-11    195    25     4.61         2       Clemson

Likely X or big/bully slot

Zach Pascal              6-2     214    25     4.55         2       Old Dominion

Steve Ishmael          6-2     212    24     4.58         1       Syracuse

TBD Position

Ashton Dulin           6-1     215    22      4.43         R      Malone University

Rodney Adams        6-1     189    25      4.44         1      South Florida

Chad Williams         6-2    204    25      4.37         3       Grambling State

Daurice Fountain    6-2     210   24      4.46          1      Northern Iowa

Fill out the below (copy paste into your post to make things easy)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Starting Z:

Starting Traditional Slot:

Backup Z/Traditional Slot:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Starting X:

Starting Big/Bully Slot:

X2 (if starting X and starting big slot are same person):

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tweener or X3: 

PS... Don't whine about the rules... It's only a game.

My picks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Starting Z: Hilton

Starting Traditional Slot: Campbell

Backup Z/Traditional Slot: Fountain

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Starting X: Claypool (44th pick)

Starting Big/Bully Slot: Claypool

X2 (if starting X and starting big slot are same person): Pascal

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tweener or X3: Dulin

My picks - 6 WR's with two drafted

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Starting Z: TY Hilton 5-10 183# 4.34 speed

Starting Slot: Paris Campbell 6-0 205# 4.31 speed

Backup Z/Slot: John Hightower 6-1 189# 4.43 speed (draft)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Starting X: Zach Paschal 6-2 214# 4.55 speed

Starting Big/Bully: Denzel Mims 6-3 207# 4.38 speed (draft)

X2/Backup: Daurice Fountain 6-2 210# 4.46 speed

20 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

I like the add of Hightower late. I also like Mims as a prospect, but I think he ends up as a Z. He struggles vs the press, and not sure he's got the mass for X. Give him a couple years of good S&C and development, and he might fill out to be a beast X though. I definitely can't see him as a bully slot though.

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

My picks

Starting X: Claypool (44th pick)

Starting Big/Bully Slot: Claypool

Tweener or X3: Dulin

# the rules!

Starting X: Mims (draft)

Starting Big/Bully Slot: Claypool (draft)

Tweener or X3: Shenault Slower 4.58 but great hands (draft)

28 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

Starting X: Mims (draft)

Starting Big/Bully Slot: Claypool (draft)

Tweener or X3: Shenault Slower 4.58 but great hands (draft)

drafting 3 WRs lol.. come on man

3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I like the add of Hightower late. I also like Mims as a prospect, but I think he ends up as a Z. He struggles vs the press, and not sure he's got the mass for X. Give him a couple years of good S&C and development, and he might fill out to be a beast X though. I definitely can't see him as a bully slot though.

Maybe not.  But we're so thin at WR.  Mims can't be your opening day X starter.  And Fountain can't carry the load yet either. We draft the best guys we can, and throw them into the meat grinder and see how they come out.

35 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Maybe not.  But we're so thin at WR.  Mims can't be your opening day X starter.  And Fountain can't carry the load yet either. We draft the best guys we can, and throw them into the meat grinder and see how they come out.

We're not as thin as many think. If we didn't have health impacts last year two 3 starters, it would be a different tune. Not counting on Fountain to carry a load, but I do think he can develop, and at minimum, be a good 4th or 5th option this year. I don't care for meat grinder strategy. WR is a position it takes generally 2-3 years to develop unless you get a first round freak. It happens, but not the norm.

5 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Mims couldn't qualify for X under above rules as he is NOT 210 lbs. :dunno:

Starting Z: TY Hilton

Starting Traditional Slot: Parris Campbell

Backup Z/Traditional Slot: Daurice Fountain

Starting X: Chase Claypool (draft..thinking at #44 as not sure he lasts past that point)

Starting Big/Bully Slot:  Claypool

Tweener or X3: Geronimo Allison as X3 (I think he could be had on a 2 yr-$4 mil deal...Still somewhat young at 26 with much to prove IMO)

28 minutes ago, coltsfanmurf said:

Mims couldn't qualify for X under above rules as he is NOT 210 lbs. :dunno:

Mim's is more Z, but might develop into an X if he can improve vs the press and gain a few pounds. I think he'd be much better as a Z though. His speed/size combo is good, and he's already good in motion. Just sucks against the press.

24 minutes ago, coltsfanmurf said:

Starting Z: TY Hilton

Starting Traditional Slot: Parris Campbell

Backup Z/Traditional Slot: Daurice Fountain

Starting X: Chase Claypool (draft..thinking at #44 as not sure he lasts past that point)

Starting Big/Bully Slot:  Claypool

Tweener or X3: Geronimo Allison as X3 (I think he could be had on a 2 yr-$4 mil deal...Still somewhat young at 26 with much to prove IMO)

Very sensible/realistic, but I think we have more talented guys on our roster than Allison. 

3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Mim's is more Z, but might develop into an X if he can improve vs the press and gain a few pounds. I think he'd be much better as a Z though. His speed/size combo is good, and he's already good in motion. Just sucks against the press.

Very sensible/realistic, but I think we have more talented guys on our roster than Allison. 

You  may be right.  He's definitely underachieved and underwhelmed so far.  I may have a bias as he went to U of ILL and I live in ILL :thmup:

I was debating whether to go with Dulin or maybe even drafting another WR (4th or 5th rd) instead of Allison but I figured its a toss up.  :goodluck:

On 3/28/2020 at 4:31 AM, coltsfanmurf said:

You  may be right.  He's definitely underachieved and underwhelmed so far.  I may have a bias as he went to U of ILL and I in ILL :thmup:

I was debating whether to go with Dulin or maybe even drafting another WR (4th or 5th rd) instead of Allison but I figured its a toss up.  :goodluck:

After taking an X somewhere in the first three rounds, there's going to be some very interesting prospects late in the draft worth a flyer. There's always guys that drop every year, but this year should be target rich given the depth. 

I do really like Fountain and Dulin though. I think Fountain could be a great back up Z. And Dulin could develop into a small X or thick slot. Both really solid depth if they can put it together, and potentially develop into something more.

That's why I'm just not sure about taking a guy late. I know some think our WR unit needs to be blown up, and I do agree we need major help at X... but on the Z/Slot side, we have decent potential. 

22 hours ago, DEFENSE said:

where ever they can fit in i hope we get some who dont drop the ball. although this could be because of our hard throwing qb on short passes

We were middle of the road last year in drops (#14) so it's not like we were horrible. I'd absolutely like to be 20th or lower though...... I do think pass quality had a decent amount to do with it (simple accuracy and short heaters). 

Archived