Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Some teams are complaining about draft-want it pushed back

If they’re doing it remotely, what’s the concern? They can have scouts, head coach, GM and owner in separate rooms if they want.

Getting more players in for physicals is not going to change in a month for draft visits.

If they delayed it until they could bring players in that would mean they could probably start off season programs. So they will be busy with that. It wouldn’t make sense. They realistically can’t wait to June or July. I doubt delaying would make them be able to get more info.  

The nfl did say if your facility wasn’t closed you need to close it in a memo just sent out. When you see the colts war room with everyone and all the phones I do think they need to be at their head quarters.  Otherwise not sure how that would work. 

Apparen

9 minutes ago, chad72 said:

If they’re doing it remotely, what’s the concern? They can have scouts, head coach, GM and owner in separate rooms if they want.

Getting more players in for physicals is not going to change in a month for draft visits.

The story mentions states like CA that have said no work. They seem to think they might not be able to do it out of their headquarters.  I doubt anyone is going to stop a nfl team from gathering at their head quarters on draft night.

5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Apparen

The story mentions states like CA that have said no work. They seem to think they might not be able to do it out of their headquarters.  I doubt anyone is going to stop a nfl team from gathering at their head quarters on draft night.

As @atapcl said it can be done on video conference call From remote locations 

Push it back? If anything they should push it up. If there are no more pro-days and team visits, I’m not sure why you even put the draft off at all. If anything put it in the middle of April. If offseason activities are likely to be delayed, might as well let rookie contracts start being negotiated earlier since that’s usually a long process anyways.

Also don’t see the risk in letting teams sit in their war rooms on draft night. Just space everyone out 6 ft or so and it should be fine. That’s more safe than the Target or Wal-mart that has like 200 people in it on a daily. What’s 20 people in a war room for a few hours?

With the technology these days, no reason to delay it. Sure all teams will be impacted to an extent, but all will be impacted equally. Physicals IMO are the biggest impacts, but contracts can be constructed to take that into account and lessen the impact a bit. Won't be perfect, but it's the new-new... 

20 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

With the technology these days, no reason to delay it. Sure all teams will be impacted to an extent, but all will be impacted equally. Physicals IMO are the biggest impacts, but contracts can be constructed to take that into account and lessen the impact a bit. Won't be perfect, but it's the new-new... 

In the move the sticks Podcast, Daniel Jeremiah said maybe teams who have certain prospects in their region should do physicals and then everyone just share what they have. For example, the Redskins could bring in Bryce Hall who went to Virginia and then send that report out.

11 hours ago, CR91 said:

I think teams not allowed to do their normal due diligence on players are why they want the draft pushed back

It is not like they will get pro days to gather more information. If they didn’t get what they needed at the combine then that’s too bad. Good scouts by this time should have 95% of all the information they need. If you delay longer you may have to move rookie camps into July meaning rookies and new players will have to manage a sharper learning curve.

5 minutes ago, atapcl said:

It is not like they will get pro days to gather more information. If they didn’t get what they needed at the combine then that’s too bad. Good scouts by this time should have 95% of all the information they need. If you delay longer you may have to move rookie camps into July meaning rookies and new players will have to manage a sharper learning curve.

Teams can still have private interviews with the prospects, but they can't do that now

I like the draft the way they are proposing it. It's minus the Hollywood spectacle camera views of the players that were suppose to be drafted earlier who haven't been chosen......no wait............ ........they'll still figure out a way to do that.

Nevermind.  

44 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

In the move the sticks Podcast, Daniel Jeremiah said maybe teams who have certain prospects in their region should do physicals and then everyone just share what they have. For example, the Redskins could bring in Bryce Hall who went to Virginia and then send that report out.

Yup, something can certainly be done. With a few of their FAs, local docs were doing the hands on for virtual team docs via video conference. I'd like to see the league step in and more or less take over these, and provide the info to all teams, or even let the doctors from all teams view via vid conf and let them request whatever they want.

All players for the most part had physicals at the combine so it's not like data isn't available. I understand teams want to lay their own hands on players, but they simply need to adjust. 

4 minutes ago, atapcl said:

15 minutes is enough time if you are specific in what you intend to ask. All teams also had time at the all star games that they should have met prospects.

How is 15 mins enough? We're talking 100s of prospect

Players can still have pro days also and then distribute the tape. It’s not ideal but ir can be done. I do think there might be guys who fall who have medical question marks.  TUA is already seeing a doctor for his hip so I imagine that info will be sent to all teams. They can probably even request more info from the doctor if needed.

3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I think this is why they basically shut done the facilities. They wanted everyone on a equal playing field. Some were shut down and some weren’t. Adam shefter said today teams are looking at renting hotel ball rooms for the draft. Aren’t hotels mainly closed. Maybe some teams have to go out of state. Not sure why they would have to rent ball rooms. Are they really going to be banned by the state from going to their headquarters for the draft. Facilities may be reopened by the nfl on April 8th.

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think this is why they basically shut done the facilities. They wanted everyone on a equal playing field. Some were shut down and some weren’t. Adam shefter said today teams are looking at renting hotel ball rooms for the draft. Aren’t hotels mainly closed. Maybe some teams have to go out of state. Not sure why they would have to rent ball rooms. Are they really going to be banned by the state from going to their headquarters for the draft. Facilities may be reopened by the nfl on April 8th.

I'm sure the ball room stuff is pure luxury setting...... and they likely are thinking too big..... They just need to dumb it down.... Owner, GM, Coaches, and draft teams. Shouldn't need more than 50 people per team. And they can even leave most of the draft geeks at home if needed and just connected them in via vid conf. Everyone will know what their board is, and the plan.... If they can't form an effective decision tree plan with 50 folks, they need to be fired lol.

They all have training facilities they can deck out for the occasion. ..... Nobody is going to stop them from gathering draft teams.  

My main thing is teams are actually worried they can’t do the draft from their headquarters because of the stay home orders. I kind of think that’s funny and they are just looking for a excuse. Nobody in going keep them from having scouts and GMS at their headquarters. The nfl will probably lift their restrictions before the draft so teams don’t have to worry about that.

4 hours ago, CR91 said:

How is 15 mins enough? We're talking 100s of prospect

We’re talking 15 minutes per prospect. 
we’re talking bowl games and all star games. No one is going to interview 500 prospects (330 at combine). Interviews are not the whole evaluation but coupled with film and actual game reviews. 

15 minutes ago, atapcl said:

We’re talking 15 minutes per prospect. 
we’re talking bowl games and all star games. No one is going to interview 500 prospects (330 at combine). Interviews are not the whole evaluation but coupled with film and actual game reviews. 

Teams are Allowed to talk with each prospect 3 times each week for a hour each time. They are still doing interviews.

At the combine the NFL increased the interview time from 15 mins to 18. 15 mins has been sufficient in the past. Teams don’t need an hour per prospect this late into the season. Again teams have had bowl games and all star games to interview these young men. They have had hours to talk to their coaches and friends. They have gathered more information on these kids than you get on job interviews. If teams still need more time for interviews then shame on them.

5 hours ago, atapcl said:

15 minutes is enough time if you are specific in what you intend to ask. All teams also had time at the all star games that they should have met prospects.

If you think 15 min is enough then you have no idea what they're actually trying to do during those interviews.  

On the PFN podcast they mentioned guys like Chris Ballard with their scouting backgrounds are ones that say they don’t want the draft pushed back. It’s the GM that are executives with no scouting background that want it pushed back. Pauline likes to spew a lot of false stuff on his podcast. Talking about how players in FA aren’t getting their physicals. We already know they are. 

Archived